PDA

View Full Version : Dragons Den

Seth1968
01-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Any other fans of the show?

I wish they had more "Whatever Happened To.." episodes.

Mar
01-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Love this, at times I've resorted to pressing my ear to the television when people have been over making noise and I was desperate to just get the information. 5 people in a room and me pressing my head to the television for 45 minutes.

One of my favourite shows on right now, it's a wealth of information for investing, finding investments and how to work the numbers to make them work for you. Especially with 2 of them being Calgarians, it lends respect to the local market and what kinds of things people here need/want to buy.

tobypaddock
01-27-2011, 12:32 PM
love this show!

and call me crazy but for whatever reason i wouldnt mind throwing Arlene's back out - maybe im just a gold digger tho

almerick
01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Any other fans of the show?

I wish they had more "Whatever Happened To.." episodes.

I agree, I always wonder what happened to some of the interesting projects.

Kevin O'Leary is the man.

Darkane
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by almerick

I agree, I always wonder what happened to some of the interesting projects.

You guys saw the one last week? They went in on the dehydrated honey?

The Chair of Boston Pizza bought in too, just wondering if the dehydrated honey packets made it to his restaurants yet?

spikerS
01-27-2011, 01:19 PM
I deplore the show. absolutely hate it, and refuse to watch it.

Watching people with awesome, and viable ideas (sometimes) get chewed apart, and usually losing everything and control to the dragons. I am sure there are other examples, but, every "deal" I have watched, has been the dragons ending up with 51% of a company or whatever.

So the dragons are really only about buying companies for dirt cheap, and then making bonus money by making it into a TV show. For them it is WIN-WIN, while in most cases for the business owner or inventor, it is a lose-lose.

kaput
01-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Kloubek
01-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Yes, they are there to make money. But they also provide the owner/inventor a way to get cash which the lending establishments might not be interested in. They also provide their business expertise.

Seems like win-win to everyone - plus it provides some entertainment value.

corsvette
01-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Watching people with awesome, and viable ideas (sometimes) get chewed apart, and usually losing everything and control to the dragons. I am sure there are other examples, but, every "deal" I have watched, has been the dragons ending up with 51% of a company or whatever.

So the dragons are really only about buying companies for dirt cheap, and then making bonus money by making it into a TV show. For them it is WIN-WIN, while in most cases for the business owner or inventor, it is a lose-lose.

I agree. I have a love/hate for that show, at times they are very unreasonable and greedy. I still like to watch it just to see all the great and not so great ideas people have.

Mar
01-27-2011, 01:38 PM

You need to watch more of the show to understand it fully, I would offer almost half of my company to any one of them for $1 if they'd take it. The amount of marketing contacts and investment potential these people bring to your business will make you richer with your 50% than you could on your own with 100% (in most cases). People asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars for 20% of their company to me is nonsense, getting them on board will net you that in a year.

ronaldo
01-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Probably one of my favorite shows....love seeing some of the ideas and different presentations.

does anyone watch Shark Tank (the American version)??

D'z Nutz
01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
I haven't seen any of the new episodes, but I enjoyed the ones I've seen so far, especially the special on their personal lives and how they got to where they are now.

Originally posted by almerick

Haha did anyone see that episode with "Yomama" clothing? The guy had a shitty clothing line and he trademarked the name and said he'd legally go after anyone who used that phrase. All the Dragons told him to go fuck off cause he was trying to make money off of bullshit lawsuits. Except Kevin. The guy had a massive boner and even grew some hair back I think :rofl: I'm sure a lot of it was for show to live up to his persona, but funny none the less.

http://www.financialpost.com/related/topics/Putting+Price+Yomama/2507136/story.html

Originally posted by ronaldo
does anyone watch Shark Tank (the American version)??

Yeah I don't like it as much. It just seems to "showy" compared to Dragon's Den. Other than Kevin and Robert, the Sharks don't have anything appealing about them.

supe
01-27-2011, 01:49 PM

I'm sure you probably know the stats, most start ups fail, having a dragon on your side is definitely an advantage. Plus put yourself in the position of the dragons, you would do the exact same.

The show is kind of interesting, at the very least its FREE advertising for those companies. I'm sure there are people who go on there for that very reason, knowing that they priced out the dragons and wont budge on valuation.

Another thing to remember is most deals even if they agree on the show still dont go through. There is much due diligence that must pass that can make the deal fall through. JobLoft is an example of that.

tobypaddock
01-27-2011, 01:50 PM
yeah shark tank doesnt have any inventors either really, its mostly just businesses that are looking to expand - kinda boring IMO

Jlude
01-27-2011, 01:56 PM
I do like this show... but I think being a small business owner has made me more interested in watching it.

cream
01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by supe

The show is kind of interesting, at the very least its FREE advertising for those companies. I'm sure there are people who go on there for that very reason, knowing that they priced out the dragons and wont budge on valuation.

Even thought it's free advertising, I doubt a lot of customers would be interested in it if the Dragons bashed at it for a good 10 minutes pointing out every flaw in the company..

Aleks
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I pvr all the new episodes. Love the show. I watched all the seasons. I think Arlene replaced that first blonde chick and Brett replaced the guy who died after the first season.

almerick
01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I haven't seen any of the new episodes, but I enjoyed the ones I've seen so far, especially the special on their personal lives and how they got to where they are now.

The specials are great!

Here's a youtube link to Kevin's if anyone hasn't seen them yet, then just video hop to the others.

FhE57NFuYxE

Yomama clothing line is absolute shit hahaha

tobypaddock
01-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by cream

Even thought it's free advertising, I doubt a lot of customers would be interested in it if the Dragons bashed at it for a good 10 minutes pointing out every flaw in the company..

unless the only flaw they saw was the valuation, thats happened a lot :dunno:

sputnik
01-27-2011, 02:47 PM

This is probably why you aren't a millionaire.

SilverGS
01-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I notice the Atomic sub shop on 1st street is closed. The Dragons bought in on that one and I guess it didn't pay off. There's still 1 more location that I know of but it's probably not a good sign to be closing their central shop.

Not sure why they closed the 1st shop but the other one is bigger with expanded menu and hours so I think they are still doing ok.

Originally posted by Mar

You need to watch more of the show to understand it fully, I would offer almost half of my company to any one of them for $1 if they'd take it. The amount of marketing contacts and investment potential these people bring to your business will make you richer with your 50% than you could on your own with 100% (in most cases). People asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars for 20% of their company to me is nonsense, getting them on board will net you that in a year.

This is what everyone thinks but this does not happen. It is more they are getting in on a good idea for cheap and if you are successful they reap the benefits without needing to do much. These are already extremely wealthy and busy people. Where do you think they are going to find the time to help you with your little startup even if they bought 50% of it? You get very little support from them if any. I think in the end if you have different options to finance your business you would rather do that.

supe
01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by cream

Hey i bought me some SAXX and highly recommend it. A lot of times the Dragons admit to a great product but are priced out.

spikerS
01-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

This is probably why you aren't a millionaire.

Really? wait...

what?

REALLY?

:facepalm:

Mar
01-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
This is what everyone thinks but this does not happen. It is more they are getting in on a good idea for cheap and if you are successful they reap the benefits without needing to do much. These are already extremely wealthy and busy people. Where do you think they are going to find the time to help you with your little startup even if they bought 50% of it? You get very little support from them if any. I think in the end if you have different options to finance your business you would rather do that.
While correct there's more to it than that. Even if they don't sit down and help you with your business plan, they can offer distribution channels and lend logos or patents that they already own to help you out with your business.

For example, the guy that made light up window decals did a deal with the guy that owns Fubu. I'm sure he sold quite a few light up Fubu decals without having to pay royalties on the logo. And doing any deal with Arlene will get your product onto store shelves within 24 hours.

Seth1968
01-27-2011, 05:31 PM
The handshake means nothing. It's just for show until due diligence.

- Go on your own and probably lose everything, or take a Dragons offer and split a few million.

icky2unk
01-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Really? wait...

what?

REALLY?

:facepalm:

Think of it this way.

Apple App Store.

You could get 100% profit if you just sold ur apps on your website for download. Or you can make 20% by allowing apple to put your app in the app store.

Which option do you take.

That's dragons den in a nutshell.

You sacrafice ownership to gain profits through a network.

adam c
01-27-2011, 08:38 PM
one of my favorite shows on, pvr this season and i have torrents of 3 and 4

RX_EVOLV
01-27-2011, 09:37 PM
I love it.

I think only half of the 'deals' actually go through anyway. They usually do a proper due diligence after the show and I think they end up walking away over half the times.

If you ask me, they go a bit too easy on some of the people. If you watch the UK version of Dragon's Den you will know what I mean. Those dragons are ruthless! and they actually ask hard questions,the ones that you can't BS your way through, unlike the Canada one.

Some of the valuations are absolutely ridiculous too, and I'm saying this with a career in business development for start up companies. If your two-men operation is making $50k in revenue after 2 years and you don't pay yourself, then your company is no where near profitable and you shouldn't be asking for $300k+ valuation.

And you know what they always say.. 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

wintonyk
01-27-2011, 09:58 PM
4 or 5 years back I had a friend and his brother go on the show. Anyone remember quiksnap?

At first the dragons hated it but then arlene dug in. My buddy sold out of his share last year. But I have now seen them at sport chek and on a few random people walking down the street. As far as I know they are still doing well.

e36bmw///
01-27-2011, 11:38 PM
nm

SilverGS
01-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Mar

While correct there's more to it than that. Even if they don't sit down and help you with your business plan, they can offer distribution channels and lend logos or patents that they already own to help you out with your business.

For example, the guy that made light up window decals did a deal with the guy that owns Fubu. I'm sure he sold quite a few light up Fubu decals without having to pay royalties on the logo. And doing any deal with Arlene will get your product onto store shelves within 24 hours.

I am sure there are some things that they may be able to open doors for you depending on what business you are doing. Just sounds like some think it is suddenly easy street if you get in with them when it is far from the truth.

Like any business person including the Dragon's a lot more due diligence is necessary before closing the deal. Need to really evaluate what they can do for you.

Graham_A_M
01-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Watching it right now actually. Sure speaks numbers as to what investors look for and how to properly set up a presentation.
Although I hate it when the get emotionally involved (read: Brett) with a business and go for it despite it making no real sense.
I always laugh at how stupid some of the people can be with some of their ideas.
Its quite sickening to see the vast fortunes that have been squandered on an idiotic idea, only to be laughed out of the "den" and yet they stay true to the justification of an idea despite facing fierce logical opposition. :nut:

cream
01-28-2011, 01:26 AM

Hey i bought me some SAXX and highly recommend it. A lot of times the Dragons admit to a great product but are priced out.

Hmm, good call. But for the majority though, they're all unprepared and/or have a bad business plan. Those select few are lucky though! :)

Iceman_19
01-28-2011, 04:53 AM
My favorite was the chick that spent a small fortune producing that religious board game, and thought it was the bee's knee's. The dragons destroyed her but she still thought they were wrong. Religious idiots, loves it.

RX_EVOLV
01-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I always laugh at how stupid some of the people can be with some of their ideas.
Its quite sickening to see the vast fortunes that have been squandered on an idiotic idea, only to be laughed out of the "den" and yet they stay true to the justification of an idea despite facing fierce logical opposition. :nut:

I used to work with the guy who used to be business advisor for the earlier seasons of Dragon's Den. Apparently an applicant would present their case to the business advisor and the producer, and the advisor would give a point (up to 5) on how viable the business is, while the producer will give a point (up to 5 ) on how 'entertaining' the idea or the applicants are.
If you score high on business and on entertainment, you can go on the show

If you score low/mid on business and low on entertainment, you don't go on the show

If you score low on business and high on entertainment, the business will tell you that you probably have no chance of getting any Dragon investment, and will probably get destroyed by the dragon, but it's up to them whether they want to go on the show or not. For the ~3 years that he did it, no one had turned it down.

swak
01-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by icky2unk

Think of it this way.

Apple App Store.

You could get 100% profit if you just sold ur apps on your website for download. Or you can make 20% by allowing apple to put your app in the app store.

Which option do you take.

I may be an idiot, but i'd probably take the 20% to get in the app store.
Its about having your name somewhere where people are going to see it.

-----------
Another scenario...

You could open a coffee shop in a dead part of town, for cheap cheap rent, and get maybe 1-2 customers/day

Or open a coffee shop downtown, for a much higher rent, but be busy all day. What option do you choose?

supe
01-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
The handshake means nothing. It's just for show until due diligence.

- Go on your own and probably lose everything, or take a Dragons offer and split a few million.

I like this logic... If you end up dealing with the Dragons, regardless of how much they take you for, you probably are going to end up rich, relative to a normal person. Sure the rich get richer but its all relative.

SilverGS
01-28-2011, 11:45 AM

I like this logic... If you end up dealing with the Dragons, regardless of how much they take you for, you probably are going to end up rich, relative to a normal person. Sure the rich get richer but its all relative.

This is the danger. You think that because they invest in you they will take you under there wing or have vast resources at your disposal to make your business work.

Although there are some things that they will be able to do for you. You are still very much on your own to make a success of your business. No doubt that depending on what type of business you are pitching there are things that they can offer or do for you that will give you an extra step up but by no means will you suddenly be "rich" because they invested in you.

Once the due diligence is done you just have to decide if what they are offering is what you need to get to the next level. There are success stores for both people who went in with the Dragon's or declined the offer in the end.

Mitsu3000gt
01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I notice the Atomic sub shop on 1st street is closed. The Dragons bought in on that one and I guess it didn't pay off. There's still 1 more location that I know of but it's probably not a good sign to be closing their central shop.

I loved that place until their prices got to be about the same as Jugo Juice/Booster Juice.

I used to go there every day in the summer over lunch hour but stopped when it became a rip off. That's my guess as to why it's no longer in business but who knows.