PDA

View Full Version : Tablet for photoediting

HiSpec
01-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Just wondering if any of you use a tablet for photoediting? If so, why do you prefer using a tablet as compare to mouse?

sputnik
01-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Right.

Tablet

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/__data/assets/image/415762/art118revwacom450.jpg

not tablet.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2010/01/27/ipad_cp_reut29JG4.jpg

diamondedge
01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
:werd:

I wish I had a Wacom Cintiq.

http://www.republicofcode.com/uploaded_images/wacom_cintiq-771814.jpg

ByTeMe
01-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I use my tablet because of the pressure sensitivity, with the mouse it would be a pain in the ass to do that.

I feel that it also has better accuracy than a mouse (easier to maneuver in tight spaces in graphics). Also changing the size of the brush mid stroke is good as well.

On my tablet zooming in and out is much easier than the mouse as well.

There are so many pluses to using a tablet over a mouse.

D'z Nutz
01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I like using my tablet for doing the real fine detailed editing like when I'm cleaning up dust off my film scans. The fine tip and pressure sensor is the real advantage of using a pen over a mouse, at least to me. Press harder, the brush size gets bigger. Lighten up and it shrinks. Plus I don't have the dexterity with the mouse.

I've been considering selling my older Wacom tablet for a newer one for a while.

An added bonus that has nothing to do with photo editing is being able to sign digital documents without having to print, sign, then rescan/fax!

HiSpec
01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Assuming you guys use Wacom Intous... how big is your tablet?

Mitsu3000gt
01-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Wacom Intuos is the way to go. I have an Intuos 3 but the Intuos 4's are out now with double the pressure sensitivity.

I bought the smallest 4X6" one, because I like very minute movements to go a long way. I'm the same with mice, I like very high sensitivity. If you prefer to do larger strokes you'll want to look at a larger work surface. Whatever you buy will map to your monitor automatically. The tablet itself is about the size of a sheet of paper but the work area is 4X6". It also happens to be the cheapest one which is a bonus.

It's definitely personal preference, but I find it WAY easier to do any sort of fine detail editing/brushing with a tablet. The stylus is a lot more comfortable to use for tracing edges or being very precise. Additionally, the pressure and angle of the stylus can change size/opacity, etc. on the fly so you can do several things at once just by changing the way you hold the brush.

Your regular mouse works the whole time too, so you can just switch between the two instantly depending on the particular task you're doing in Photoshop and which you prefer to use.

Basically it's not very expensive, and a great addition to your workflow. Just a good thing to have around overall IMO.

Shax
02-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Honestly it depends if you use it. I bought a Wacom Pen and Touch for $100.00 at Staples and ended up getting an Intuos 6 months later.

For the price the Pen and Touch was awesome, it works great but is not as fancy as the big boys. Has plenty of sensitivity for such a cheap tablet. The touch features are actually very neat to use with Photoshop and Illustrator. I would recommend it but seeing as I bought a bigger Intuos to improve work flow maybe not.

The reason I love using a tablet so much is the control, I can draw with freedom and the pressure control is amazing for my needs. That being said I had a hard time adapting to the pen over the mouse, a hint one of my illustrator buddies gave me is to put you mouse away for a week or two, you get real good with the tablet.

This is from a design/illustration point of view, I rarely use it when editing photos.