PDA

View Full Version : U-wrench, who has used it?

J-hop
01-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I may be moving to a place this summer that doesn't have a garage so I will need somewhere to do minor work on my car (mostly just maintenance). I was wondering if anyone has used U-wrench?

It looks like a good idea but my main concerns are:

1) how busy does it get (especially during the weekend)

2) is there ample room to work or are you squished like sardines in there?

3) is it clean- I am pretty picky with my current workspace being clean

4) do they have on site fluid disposal

thanks!

sr20s14zenki
01-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Use them all the time, how busy they are varies, but usually not tooooo bad. Tons of room to work, hoists are adequately spaced. It is VERY clean, in fact they force you to keep it clean. They have oil disposal and i think antifreeze, no ATF tho i think. I use them whenever i have a tranny to do.

J-hop
01-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Use them all the time, how busy they are varies, but usually not tooooo bad. Tons of room to work, hoists are adequately spaced. It is VERY clean, in fact they force you to keep it clean. They have oil disposal and i think antifreeze, no ATF tho i think. I use them whenever i have a tranny to do.

awesome thanks, yea it is hard to tell from pics how much space you have/how clean it is.

Another question, can you leave vehicles in there overnight if you don't finish? I noticed they have an overnight paint booth option which makes sense, but they also have an "overnight thaw", would this be for the regular mechanic bays?

sr20s14zenki
01-29-2011, 03:22 PM
You can leave it overnight, they charge a day rate or something like that...i forget. They dont charge you by the hour overnight, but there is a premium to the charge.

psycoticclown
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
I've used them 2 or 3 times. Great place, it does get quite busy sometimes, usually you gotta book a bay or end up waiting a few hours, at least that's what happened in my experience. Lot's of room to work, not really gonna get in anybody's way and all the tools is nice too. There was a mechanic working out of that shop who helped me out which was great.

Iceman_19
01-29-2011, 04:27 PM
What are the rates for this place and where is it?

Jeremiah
01-29-2011, 04:51 PM
http://www.u-wrench.ca/

Hours of Operation
MONDAY TO THURSDAY 9 AM - 8 PM
FRIDAY & SATURDAY 9 AM - 6 PM
SUNDAY & 11 AM - 5 PM

5, 1420 40 AVE NE
CALGARY ALBERTA

revelations
01-29-2011, 06:51 PM
I believe the lift rates are something like 35/hr... but dont quote me on that. I should check my receipt. To use just a spot on a floor is 20/hr.

OP if at all possible, for major work - prep is the key. I installed all new suspension components for my car there last month, 8 hours of work almost (noob).

Buy extra parts you dont think you will ever break or need because if you happen to, the pain of finding the part, back ordering perhaps - will make you pissed off at the whole idea about your car sitting in a shop for a week. You can also apply penetrant for bolts and nuts you KNOW will be a bitch days in advance.

Most parts can also be returned without restocking fees (except OEM parts guys).

I've used U wrench for 4 years now. The old owner Dave Simpson left the operations a few years back and the place has been run much cleaner since.

Dave was a guy who'd lend a quick hand without asking (or charging), but the place was a little bit chaotic at times (parts everywhere) - which I actually preferred.

revelations
01-29-2011, 06:52 PM
OP for simple things like oil changes, I've used the industrial park. Its just a matter of finding a quiet area on a nice sunny weekend.

sr20s14zenki
01-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I believe the lift rates are something like 35/hr... but dont quote me on that. I should check my receipt. To use just a spot on a floor is 20/hr.

OP if at all possible, for major work - prep is the key. I installed all new suspension components for my car there last month, 8 hours of work almost (noob).

Buy extra parts you dont think you will ever break or need because if you happen to, the pain of finding the part, back ordering perhaps - will make you pissed off at the whole idea about your car sitting in a shop for a week. You can also apply penetrant for bolts and nuts you KNOW will be a bitch days in advance.

Most parts can also be returned without restocking fees (except OEM parts guys).

I've used U wrench for 4 years now. The old owner Dave Simpson left the operations a few years back and the place has been run much cleaner since.

Dave was a guy who'd lend a quick hand without asking (or charging), but the place was a little bit chaotic at times (parts everywhere) - which I actually preferred.

http://www.u-wrench.ca/rates.htm

its 20 for hoist. Dave was great,but yah it was kinda messy, but it was also way more busy IMO. There is a mechanic that works out of there right now, his name is Andre, hes freaking awesome haha. He likes sr20det, so hes good in my book. Started talking when he saw my hoodie "Sr20det, pwning you since 1991"

:D

Sentry
01-29-2011, 07:09 PM
I've used it a couple times.

Never rented a hoist, but for modifying stuff with noisy tools.

Notching a block for rods, drilling out larger holes in a turbo flange, stuff like that.

It's a good place to have around.

master hec0
01-29-2011, 08:10 PM
never used that place but i have used DIY mechanics in SE

rate is 16 per hour for regular bay and 20 per hour for hoist.

it is dirty but hardly busy he has specials going on all the time.

went there last week on the hoist it was 15% off hoist rentals for January.
http://www.diymechanics.ca/

revelations
01-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by master hec0
never used that place but i have used DIY mechanics in SE

rate is 16 per hour for regular bay and 20 per hour for hoist.

it is dirty but hardly busy he has specials going on all the time.

went there last week on the hoist it was 15% off hoist rentals for January.
http://www.diymechanics.ca/

I had no idea, thanks! Good to have a backup location to Uwrench.

mugensix
01-30-2011, 03:38 PM
ive been there a ton of times, i like the space they give you, ive done headers, welded a cat/delete in, lots of repairs and maint. book a day off work, and go on a weekday around early morning. imo its less crowded!

good luck

J-hop
01-30-2011, 03:48 PM
great suggestions guys, thanks! Most of the work I will be doing will be maintenance like oil/filter changes and then minor stuff like a new exhaust, wheel bearings (all four corners are on their way out :( ) , coilovers etc, so it sounds like it will be the perfect place if I do end up renting a place without a garage, (still praying to find that perfect rental property but you know how it goes!).

It would also be super nice to start doing work on hoists, I don't mind jackstands and a creeper but to be able to get a full view of everything with lots of room to move around would be a nice change!!

psycoticclown
01-31-2011, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

http://www.u-wrench.ca/rates.htm

its 20 for hoist. Dave was great,but yah it was kinda messy, but it was also way more busy IMO. There is a mechanic that works out of there right now, his name is Andre, hes freaking awesome haha. He likes sr20det, so hes good in my book. Started talking when he saw my hoodie "Sr20det, pwning you since 1991"

:D

:werd:

Andre is wicked, helped me do some suspension work and let me use his air gun to get off some stubborn bolts.

CMW403
01-31-2011, 10:38 AM
I was just at U-wrench yesterday changing tie rods and ball-joints, it's an awesome place.

1) how busy does it get (especially during the weekend)?

Busy, I made sure I was there before it opened and I got a lift no problem.

2) is there ample room to work or are you squished like sardines in there?

There is a lot of available workbench space to utilize.

3) is it clean- I am pretty picky with my current workspace being clean?

Very clean, customers are charged an extra $10 if their workspace isn't left the way they found it.

4) do they have on site fluid disposal

Yes, oil is free but they charge on everything else i believe.

Joe-G
02-01-2011, 01:57 AM
U-Wrench is awesome! But one thing id advise is to bring your own tools if you have any, or if you know youll be needing something specific.

Every time Ive been there,most of the common tools are always either missing or misplaced. Common sockets and extensions, etc...

StreetRacerX
02-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Had coilovers installed there on a Saturday, there was only one other person working on an older van, bill afterwards came out to around $60-70, would definitely recommend it if you need a lift to work on your own vehicles.

revelations
02-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I like how most of the customers working on their vehicles are willing to lend a hand to a neighbouring stall.

J-hop
02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Joe-G
U-Wrench is awesome! But one thing id advise is to bring your own tools if you have any, or if you know youll be needing something specific.

Every time Ive been there,most of the common tools are always either missing or misplaced. Common sockets and extensions, etc...

yea definitely a good idea, I have a pretty large portable tool chest that just barely fits in my trunk so I plan to load that up with any tools I need.

Sounds like a pretty slick setup they have there!

CMW403 how warm was it working in there the other day, do they have pretty good heaters?? does it get cold with people going in and out all day?

Robertg
03-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by revelations

I had no idea, thanks! Good to have a backup location to Uwrench.

These guys at DIY Mechanics where pretty good.. some good room to work with and good people to give a hand.

I would definatly recommend this place!

You can also fit big trucks up to 30 feet.. and they will stay after hours if need be.

open 7 days a week from 10am to 8pm!

check it out!

Joe-G
03-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Robertg

These guys at DIY Mechanics where pretty good.. some good room to work with and good people to give a hand.

I would definatly recommend this place!

You can also fit big trucks up to 30 feet.. and they will stay after hours if need be.

open 7 days a week from 10am to 8pm!

check it out!

Nice advertising there buddy! Uhmmmm, you might want to edit your profile though, unless you want to get banned..

Robertg
03-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G

Nice advertising there buddy! Uhmmmm, you might want to edit your profile though, unless you want to get banned..

lol what?

Cheers man!

M.alex
03-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Robertg

lol what?

Cheers man!

Hmmmmmm!

http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=9127434