PDA

View Full Version : snow shovelling bylaws

TimG
01-30-2011, 10:59 AM
After this last dumping of snow, I've noticed that a few of my neighbours would prefer not to have snow banks and are shovelling all of the snow from their driveways onto the road.

Isn't there a bylaw against doing this?

ekguy
01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
I also hate this with a passion. Calgary isn't built to handle winter...Houses are so close together that driveways only have a few feet between them. where you supposed to put all the snow. With both our neighbors it's like whoever shovels the driveway first is the one who ends up having room to put the snow anywhere...I ended up having to shovel the entire driveway from the front by pushing all the snow to the back of the driveway and putting all the snow on the one spot we had left...haha quite the work out.

Amysicle
01-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Sounds like there is, but like ekguy said, there isn't really much room for the snow on the lawns.
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_237_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Animal+and+Bylaw+Services/Bylaw+Services/Bylaws+of+Interest/Snow+and+Ice.htm

[Yu]
01-30-2011, 12:13 PM
There is tons of room on the lawn no matter how small your front yard is. Whether or not people like to put the effort and stack that pile high is whole different issue.

I prefer not to push it on the street and suck it up and shovel it higher. That being said, I understand a lot of people have terrible lifting form and that once you are 35+, this could be the most taxing workout one has had for over 10+ years

roopi
01-30-2011, 12:24 PM
I always put some on the lawn and some on the street. Does it really matter if people put it in the street?

wardpr68
01-30-2011, 12:50 PM
There IS a bylaw against doing this.

ddduke
01-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by roopi
I always put some on the lawn and some on the street.

I do this too. Including my walk way I have 165 feet of shovelling to do and stacking huge piles on the grass just doesn't work for me. I tried piling on the grass before but as soon as it melts I get tons of ice on this huge walk way and with the amount of traffic my street gets with joggers/dog walkers it's just unsafe.

codetrap
01-30-2011, 01:05 PM
I always put some on the lawn and some on the street. Does it really matter if people put it in the street?

Yes, because the lanes are narrow enough now. Then when you get a bunch of morons trying to park, the lane becomes a single lane. A perfect example of this is Coventry Hills Way just north/east of the new school construction. The idiots pile it out there and it's down to a single lane on a road that's wide enough for 4 lanes when they're all home trying to park. I remember a few weeks ago before it all started melting there was some idiot that was parked so far out he was only 3 feet shy of the yellow line.

The stupid thing is there is more than enough room for all this snow on the lawn. They're just being lazy. But in the spring they're all out there with their shovels and chippers breaking it up and throwing it into the street for traffic to crush creating a hazard for everyone else.

Tik-Tok
01-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Print the city bylaw page, and stick it to their doors :dunno:

I shovel my sidewalk onto the road, but I'm in a cul-de-sac, and no one (including me) parks in front of my house.

J-hop
01-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I should put one on this guy down the streets door. The guy keeps hacking away at the ice in front of his house to help the water drain. This in itself is fine, but he always throws these large ice blocks into the road. Two nights ago I had to reverse back down my whole street because I didn't want to smash my lip on them and would have got stuck going around them.

I don't think having a small patch of grass is an excuse. Our lawn is piled pretty damn high. Its just a little extra work that some people are not willing to put in.

Aleks
01-30-2011, 02:15 PM

Same here. There is a bylaw about where you can or cannot showel snow? City isn't confident it its citizens making a judgment call when it comes to blocking a street with a mound of snow? :facepalm:

r3ccOs
01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
3 of my neighbors consecutively have added driveway extentions...

I made fun of them before, indicating that they should put a basket ball net at both ends as its almost regulation full court lol

Anyways, they push ALL their snow to the streets... they all drive trucks

black13
01-30-2011, 02:23 PM
yea this is retarded. Residential streets are bad enough since they aren't plowed, this just makes them even worse.

They're all too lazy to lift their shovel and just want to push it off their drive way. Be a little considerate ffs.

logix
01-30-2011, 02:55 PM
From the Streets Bylaw:

(7) The owner or occupant of a parcel of land adjacent to a Street may remove ice and snow from the Sidewalk or Pathway adjacent to the parcel and place it on the Roadway or Boulevard of a Street but shall not remove any ice or snow from the rest of the parcel and place it on the Roadway or Boulevard of a Street.

old&slow
01-30-2011, 03:49 PM
What's in my driveway goes unto the lawn but what's left by the plow...well that goes back unto the street!

ddduke
01-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by logix
From the Streets Bylaw:

(7) The owner or occupant of a parcel of land adjacent to a Street may remove ice and snow from the Sidewalk or Pathway adjacent to the parcel and place it on the Roadway or Boulevard of a Street but shall not remove any ice or snow from the rest of the parcel and place it on the Roadway or Boulevard of a Street.

So I guess me throwing snow from the sidewalk around my house on the road is just fine.

topmade
01-30-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't understand why people shovel snow to the streets. I personally find it easier and faster to shovel it half/half to each side of the driveway on the grass. Same thing for the sidewalk, all the snow goes on the grass. Whenever I see anyone else shovelling at around the same time I start, I always finish before them and that includes shovelling the sidewalks for both my neighbors. And :banghead: for the basement tenants of my neighbor who pushed all the snow on his car to the sidewalk I just shovelled.

hampstor
01-31-2011, 02:37 PM
You can put snow from the sidewalk adjacent to the road onto the road.

I once had a guy walking his dog bitch at me while I was clearing the snow onto the street. I told him to be thankful I cleared the sidewalk and if he wants to be bitchy about it, he can walk on the other side of the street where those people dont clear it.

CapnCrunch
02-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I snow blow right into the street. :whocares:

spikerS
02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I shovel all the snow onto my lawn. I feel sorry for the guys at the end of my cul-de-sac that don't have a front lawn at all, and at parts share the end of the driveway.

But I am also one of those assholes that chip away at the ice and snow along the curb to help with drainage, and toss the chunks into the street. However, once I am done, I use my truck to crush it all down. I find that letting traffic run over it, helps it to melt faster.

roopi
02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by spikers
I shovel all the snow onto my lawn. I feel sorry for the guys at the end of my cul-de-sac that don't have a front lawn at all, and at parts share the end of the driveway.

But I am also one of those assholes that chip away at the ice and snow along the curb to help with drainage, and toss the chunks into the street. However, once I am done, I use my truck to crush it all down. I find that letting traffic run over it, helps it to melt faster.

I'm one of those guys that live at the end of the street in a cul-de-sac. The drain actually end up right in front of my neighbors drive way. Each year we have to chip away at ice so it doesn't pool up.

We share about 1 ft of grass between our driveways at the narrowest point. You really can't stack snow that high when it is only 1 ft wide. So anything from the bottom quarter of the driveway and sidewalk goes straight into the street.

Come spring I also put all the ice into the middle of the street. It does make it melt faster and the streets to drain quicker.

For the person who has to drive reverse down the street because of his lip do you drive in reverse when there are heavy snowfalls as well?