PDA

View Full Version : http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2011/01/a-plan-to-save-race-city-and-calgary-motorsport/

Markham
01-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey guys

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2011/01/a-plan-to-save-race-city-and-calgary-motorsport/

Markham

dirtsniffer
01-30-2011, 12:23 PM
There is a fair amount of anxiety in the Calgary motorsport community as the clock ticks down on Race City. Alderman Shane Keating is leading a forum of racing organizations seeking a solution, but goes out of his way to way to stress it is not about saving the S.E. track. For those who are interested in this option, I humbly submit the following course of action.

Before I lay out what I think is a reasonable plan of attack to save Race City, let me first tackle a couple of myths about a motorsports facility in the Calgary area.

First, if Race City dies the odds of a new track being built within an hour’s drive in my lifetime are slim to none. People who have forgotten more than I will ever know about this issue, like Rome Awde and Art Mackenzie, scoff at the idea of a new facility. Mackenzie says it would cost $20 million at a minimum, and more like $50 million. Then there is the Not In My Back Yard variable, since motorsport does make a lot of noise. Throw in today’s strict environmental regulations and the prospect is just too daunting, says Mackenzie.

For those who are disappointed in the recent decline of the Race City facility and think it would just be easier to build a new one “somewhere else,” give your head a shake. The odds are a’gin it in a big way.

Second, if you’re looking for the City to lead the way, again, it ain’t going to happen. Mayor Nenshi made it clear to me that Keating is leading this parade and the best he will commit to is to bring together the players and help organize. City Hall is not going out its way to save Calgary motorsports.

If you want a preview of Keating’s efforts, look at defeated mayoral candidate Ric McIver. While he was the Ward 12 alderman McIver worked his tail off and used his considerable political influence to battle the department of waste and recycling to a draw. He also tried unsuccessfully to find investors and land for a new track. In other words, he was far more active than Keating intends to be and still came up empty.

Hopefully, you are now fully disabused of the idea that anything short of a Divine miracle will result in the construction of a new motorsport facility in or near Calgary. That leaves Race City. Accept it, racing fans, there is no other way to continue with your sport for the forseeable future.

Here is the plan the motorsport community must follow if it is going to be successful in saving Race City from the wrecking ball after the 2011 racing season ends.

1. Art Mackenzie must turn over Race City’s assets and its lease to a non-profit corporation owned by all the major motorsport organizations. Mackenzie has already said he is willing to do this. Well, it needs to happen tomorrow because progress will not happen without new leadership. The Calgary Motorsport Council is the most likely candidate to head up the new ownership.

2. The new ownership must commission a reputable engineering firm to draw up a plan that will enable the Shepard Landfill to co-exist with Race City on the City-owned land. Recycling has said this is not possible and has thus far refused to entertain the idea. Only a credible study that can withstand technical analysis can counter that claim. I am told by racing afficiandos that many European tracks co-exist with municipal facilities and Race City can do the same. Now it’s time to prove it.

3. The non-profit corporation must come up with a plan to revitalize and expand Race City. Mackenzie has said there is plenty of opportunity to expand the road race and drag strip tracks on the existing property. There must be an engineered plan to do so; again, some money must be spent. Then the non-profit must contact those American and Canadian racing organizations that might want to consider promoting races at the revamped Race City.

It’s time for Calgary motorsport to go big or go home. Hillbilly bailer twine and bubble gum isn’t going to cut it anymore. That means a real step up for local motorsport leadership and the non-profit. But if they are going to be taken seriously by City Hall, the status quo just isn’t good enough.

4. The non-profit must put together a business plan. That means capital investment requirements. Since no philanthropists or local investors have come forward so far, we have to assume motorsport supporters are going to have to raise the money. How will they fund raise? The answer to that question may do more than anything else to determine if Race City can be saved.

5. Once the business plan is in place, the non-profit and the Motorsport Council needs to develop a public relations and political strategy. Calgarians simply don’t understand the benefit motorsport provides to the local economy. And neither do civic politicians. They need to be convinced via a PR full court press.

6. Calgary’s deep pockets must step up to the plate; I’ve watched local millionaires enjoy their German sports cars on Race City’s road course, now it’s time for them to get involved. And in a big way. Motorsport leadership in this town is basically a small group of blue collar guys with day jobs doing their best to revive the sport they love. Their effort is laudable, but not enough to save Race City. That’s going to take people with clout and sizeable bank accounts. They need to be recruited and fast.

Race City is beyond the eleventh hour. The plan I outlined above can be pulled off only if the Motorsport Council starts immediately. And then I only give it even odds on succeeding.

TorqueDog
01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Really? Not even a real thread title anymore, just the URL?

CUG
01-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Really? Not even a real thread title anymore, just the URL? It's a good article, but now no one can search for it, and no one will click on it. Wtf....