PDA

View Full Version : insurance - someone without licence driving

LiquidK
01-30-2011, 07:46 PM
hey guys, so my friends in a bit of a situation and i dont want to give him incorrect advice

he lent his car to a friend today to do some engine work, and his friend messed up the tail end of an altima. he didn't have a licence, and shouldnt have been on the road at all. cops were called, the guy without the licence was arrested for something or other.

my question is, what should the owner of the vehicle do if the owner of the altima is demanding a cash payment, should he pay it? go through insurance? whats the best course of action and could this affect his premiums?

kvg
01-30-2011, 07:54 PM
His insurance probably won't cover him and if they do his premiums will go up.

tom_9109
01-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Insurance will cover it provided the driver was capable of being licensed at the time of the collision. Ie : Over 16 years old and not currently suspended or prohibited from driving.

The Insurance company would likely have the driver pass the drivers driven exam and then cover as any other driver.

Ultimately the friend could be held liable with or without the driver being covered directly as the other party could sue him as the owner.

In either case I am sure the Insurance Company will be on the hook.

Good Luck.