PDA

View Full Version : 5th gen prelude low rpm vibration

TeHashu
01-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Hi guys,

got my 97 sh about a month ago and since it was long overdue for a timing belt change, i decided to get that done.

the car would run perfectly before the change.
now i get the rattle when im in the <1000-1500 rpm range.

im assuming my mechanic didnt change the tensioner to a manual one and just used the one that was there before.

my 1st question: why is it doing the rattle now ?
2nd: is it imperative that i change it to a manual one? (are the vibrations bad for the motor?)
3rd: can the tensioner be changed without taking out the timing belt?
4th: should my mechanic do this change for free since there wasnt any vibration before and now there is?

thanks ahead

JRSC00LUDE
01-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by TeHashu
Hi guys,

got my 97 sh about a month ago and since it was long overdue for a timing belt change, i decided to get that done.

the car would run perfectly before the change.
now i get the rattle when im in the &lt;1000-1500 rpm range.

im assuming my mechanic didnt change the tensioner to a manual one and just used the one that was there before.

my 1st question: why is it doing the rattle now ?
2nd: is it imperative that i change it to a manual one? (are the vibrations bad for the motor?)
3rd: can the tensioner be changed without taking out the timing belt?
4th: should my mechanic do this change for free since there wasnt any vibration before and now there is?

thanks ahead

What kind of rattle/vibration? You aren't being in any way specific.

First off, did you ask your mechanic any of these questions?

No good mechanic would re-use the auto-tensioner on a 1997 vehicle (especially a prelude!) when changing the timing belt I wouldn't think.....

Changing to a manual tensioner isn't imperative but, is the right decision in the long term. The auto-tensioner sucks and is prone to failure.

Did you ask the mechanic to swap to the 4th gen manual tensioner, provide him the right parts and a bit of a "how to"? If not, why would he have done it on his own initiative and, why would he then do it again for free?

TeHashu
01-31-2011, 09:23 AM
:facepalm:

JRSC00LUDE
01-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Did you direct that at yourself for being an asshat and not providing enough info. or at me for actually taking the time to try and answer you?

davesparky6
01-31-2011, 10:07 AM
You should probably explain that one OP

CMW403
01-31-2011, 10:32 AM
face palms the first knowledgeable patron of beyond willing to help him...

I don't think you're going to find much help here now, might as well go to 780.

TeHashu
01-31-2011, 11:11 AM
:facepalm: :facepalm:
I might as well go anywhere else. This place is now full of idiots.

JRSC00LUDE
01-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Yeah, I'm a real idiot....I don't know a thing about preludes.

You're the fucking idiot. You don't provide enough information and then you mouth off the only person stupid enough to make an attempt to figure out your shit?

Good riddance asshole.

ryder_23
01-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Did he put the balance shaft belt back in? Sounds to me like its not doing its job.

bjstare
01-31-2011, 06:52 PM

You've posted 17 times since you signed up on beyond a few months ago, and are calling out someone who was trying to help you. It looks like you're one of the idiots that this place is "now full of.":rolleyes:

benz_890
01-31-2011, 07:14 PM
OP, Don't mind any of these guys. What happened is your mechanic probably forgot to fill up your timing belt fluid reservoir. It is normally supposed to last 100 000 KM and you have to fill it up with every timing belt change or your belt will get dry and snap. Right now your car is probably running the belt dry which is causing the vibration. That happened to me and my timing belt snapped on me. Take your car back to the mechanic ASAP and tell him to top up your timing belt fluid.

streethondas
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
^^?? i have done many timing belts on preludes.... never have i heard about timing belt fluid reservoir.

As for the auto tensioner you can reuse them on preludes... honda sells a special tool for the tensioner to re-compress....as for the rattling noise it could be from the alternator or powersteering...

just go back to your mechanic and tell him to fix the dam thing and dont ever post any questions on beyond...everyone is to smart to share there knowledge:facepalm:

Graham_A_M
01-31-2011, 08:12 PM
You certainly add to the number of idiots if I didn't know any better. A guy takes the time to properly answer your (vague) questions, and thats your response?

Do us all a big favor and fuck off troll :thumbsup:

G-ZUS
01-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by streethondas
^^?? i have done many timing belts on preludes.... never have i heard about timing belt fluid reservoir.

As for the auto tensioner you can reuse them on preludes... honda sells a special tool for the tensioner to re-compress....as for the rattling noise it could be from the alternator or powersteering...

just go back to your mechanic and tell him to fix the dam thing and dont ever post any questions on beyond...everyone is to smart to share there knowledge:facepalm:

I am pretty sure Benz_890 was fucking with the troll.

Goodfella
01-31-2011, 11:55 PM
hahaha timing belt fluid thats a new one :eek: