PDA

View Full Version : Logical next step after working oil field services?

seadog
01-31-2011, 10:48 AM
So I've been doing wireline engineering with Schlumberger past 3 years or so, was up in northern AB, for about 2.5 years, then was supposed to move to coastal Texas with a different job description which I figured would be an interesting change and a break from the cold. Then after I was moved down there, met my boss/coworkers, and had a house rented (but hadn't officially 'started' yet, but they were eager to get me settled/legal ASAP with time to spare in case anything came up) I took the balance of my Canada vacation. Then got a call a week before I was supposed to go back there saying that's all fallen through but they had something else for me 5 hours away. Ah well always the trooper said I'd give it a go.

Turns out may not have been the best move. Basically this new job entailed the same thing I was doing in Canada, but with twice the hassles since the US is broke and can't afford to maintain anything, none of the safety (Roaring campfire in a barrel next to the piperack anyone?) , 20% less money, dealing with tiny family owned companies who make ridiculous requests just because they can't be bothered to learn the better way the rest of the world learned to do whatever 15 years ago, and living in a generally horrible city where no one speaks english.

Not to mention all the hassles of moving a second time, which I had to fight to get reimbursed for, and all my arguments about how they sort of screwed me with a bait-and-switch, only to get replies about how I'm lucky to have a job. Anyways world's smallest violin. I know.

Anyways my pension vested about a month ago, so I'm pretty seriously looking about for something new. I know there's a few SLB/Ex SLB/other Oil Field Service guys, so just curious what would be considered a logical next step? Still looking to have lots of time off/travel, so that rules out anything managementy. I feel like my skillset is so specialized its almost to the point that unless I'm doing the exact same thing, I'd have start from scratch.

I imagine I could get on with the other majors doing the same thing, but I also imagine that's more the same thing but with different coveralls. Talked to a Co man a while ago who did WL for 3 years then switched to D & M, said just the 12 hour shifts vs 70+ made a huge improvement in quality of life, even if you are stuck at the rig. I'm not necessarily tired of the field, just the current setup of less days off than I was used to in Canada (2w/1w + 2 months unpaid in spring if you wanted it, vs 10.5d/4.5d) and the previously mentioned 70 hour "days" which seem to be a lot more common.

Phenix
01-31-2011, 02:06 PM
You ever think of going into smart pigging? If you're in houston GE has its office there. I wouldn't say GE is the best to work for but it would be something that you could do pretty easily.

kaput
01-31-2011, 03:16 PM

adamc
01-31-2011, 09:56 PM
Get in to sales?

www.infooil.com is your friend.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
01-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Yep sounds like D&M would be a logical step forward..

Q-TIP
01-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Have you thought about becoming an MWD? Your skillset would transfer over very well and could lead into directional drilling. Tons of money in it, they make more than I do as a geologist on site.

Call up Phoenix, Compass or any of the other directional drilling companies and see if they have any need for an MWD. There are so many horizontal wells being drilled in Alberta right now it is likely there is an opening somewhere.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
01-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Q-TIP
Have you thought about becoming an MWD? Your skillset would transfer over very well and could lead into directional drilling. Tons of money in it, they make more than I do as a geologist on site.

Call up Phoenix, Compass or any of the other directional drilling companies and see if they have any need for an MWD. There are so many horizontal wells being drilled in Alberta right now it is likely there is an opening somewhere.

How does a MWD make more than a Geo ?
You are severely underpaid...

Q-TIP
02-01-2011, 12:50 AM
The DD does, I make around $700 per day but I only work 10-12 days a month averaged out year-round. Mileage adds on another $1-2000 per month.

According to every DD I have talked to they work between 15 and 20 days per month and make about the same if not a little more money.

seadog
02-01-2011, 03:13 AM
How does time off work for you? I was initially more interested in MWD since the hours seemed more reasonable, but they said often times guys would be working 26/4, and that was only so they could comply with AB labour law.

And how much aside from the secondary stuff (basic rig operations etc) transfer over? Really when I'm in MWD school would there be a whole lot of difference between me and johnny 21 year old fresh out of university?

Maybe I'm dreaming, but equal time rotation, 12 hour shifts onsite, and fly in/out from Eastern Canada working internationally is the dream. Don't so much care about money (I live pretty basic), or even really what I'm doing, just as long as its interesting work and I don't have to stay awake to the point of hallucinating.

You ever look at the international opportunities for MWD? I mean obviously they're out there, but actually getting them is another thing all together.

ExtraSlow
02-01-2011, 07:28 AM
I work for one of the larger Operators, and we just hired a guy with similar experience to yours to be a drilling engineer. Assuming you are on track to get your P.Eng, you could look at going that route.

Probably less overall money than field work, at least to start, but after a few years, the stock options and bonuses start to add up. Plus, it's a much better (imo) lifestyle.

If you decide to go that route, it's probably worth getting your resume out to a few headhunters. While they mainly handle people a little higher up the food chain, they do get entry level openings occasionally.

I know TAQA is looking for warm bodies . . . .

RX-7_TWINTURBO
02-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Q-TIP
The DD does, I make around $700 per day but I only work 10-12 days a month averaged out year-round. Mileage adds on another $1-2000 per month.

According to every DD I have talked to they work between 15 and 20 days per month and make about the same if not a little more money.

As a Geo you should be making close to double that..
The MWD is probably making more than you as well.

Just a FYI, I'm not trying to be rude or anything.

adamc
02-01-2011, 11:53 AM
An experienced DD will have a day rate of $1000-1200 a day.

A few Phoenix guys I know are making $1400 + truck and other little goodies.

adamc
02-01-2011, 11:54 AM
An experienced wellsite GEO should make $1200-1600

ExtraSlow
02-01-2011, 11:59 AM
The wellsite Geo's often work through a pimp, so the oil company might PAY $1200-$1600, but the geo gets only a portion of that.

seadog
02-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure if I'm up for the operator type jobs yet. I'd say likely at some point down the road when I'm looking for more stability, but not now. I have the time for my PEng, but for all the Engineers we have, none have their PEng, so theres no one to sign off on my experience. Not sure if that means my work experience is all for nothing given I have no sponsor or whatever, not really super concerned with it at this point.

Right now I'm really just looking for something where I can work that develops me further for a role like this in the future(I feel wireline is a bit of a dead end), but with a bunch of time off, making reasonable money, and live (either based or fly in/out) in a city that I like enough to maybe buy a house. Assuming the living expenses of a welloff student, I'm looking for a role that keeps me busy, and enough money and the time off to have wild adventures around the globe and a nice car. The other option is simply quitting, money wouldn't be an issue, but extended periods of nothing to do leave me bored and antsy.

I'm only in this particular city in Texas because of this job, and I'm contemplating quitting so often that I refuse to even spend money on anything nice because I don't want to be in a position where I have to choose between taking a huge loss selling things, or shipping them 5000km home. Also since I can't even legally work here on my own, my very presence in the US is dependent on continued employment with a company/job I'm at best tolerating to outright hating depending on the day you ask.