PDA

View Full Version : Ride gear Questions

yamaha_rider777
01-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Looking for some feedback on Boots, what are you guys running and how is it working for you? I love Alpinestars but I am willing to look at other products if they have good feedback and Price point.

Also, do any of you have any feed back on the Shoei high vis orange visor? I am looking at getting one for my RF1100 but I cant seem to get any info from the dealer, I had to tell them that Shoei had them and find it for them in the book. Any help would be great!

Graham_A_M
01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
I use Sidi Vertebra's I believe their called, their a couple years old. I love them as you can bail in them, and whatever gets damaged is replaceable, either from the dealer that sells them (pretty much everybody) or online.
Whenever shopping for boots, make sure the actual boot area is dark, so if you want to just wear jeans, you can pull them over the boot, and nobody would know any different.

yamaha_rider777
01-31-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I use Sidi Vertebra's I believe their called, their a couple years old. I love them as you can bail in them, and whatever gets damaged is replaceable, either from the dealer that sells them (pretty much everybody) or online.
Whenever shopping for boots, make sure the actual boot area is dark, so if you want to just wear jeans, you can pull them over the boot, and nobody would know any different.

So how do they hold up over time? and how is the comfort level?
and thanks I will check into the Sidi's

Graham_A_M
01-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Very comfortable. You can walk around in them all day, and your feet wont hurt. I've had them for about 5 years now, and no problems at all. I've bailed in them a few times, and again no biggie. All the parts that would take a beating in a crash are replaceable, so the boots can always be like new pretty much. They offer a respectable amount of protection.
This one time I had the bike low side and pinch my foot between itself and the sliding asphalt, and it didn't hurt my ankle not in the least, the boot took that like a champ, minimal damage.
Like I say, replacement parts are very cheap.
The Italian craftsmanship really shows with them. These will last quite a while longer, but after these ones are retired (for whatever reason) I'll get myself another pair in a heartbeat.
My buddy has the same boots, and again nothing but praise.

Keep in mind though; they'll be very uncomfortable until they're broken in. (like any boot from any other company). So just keep that in mind. Also, try to buy them online if you can, as you can get them shipped to your door for a fair bit cheaper then most places in town.

japan_us
01-31-2011, 03:18 PM
I have Alpinestars SMX-Plus boots. I use them for road, and track; where I have crashed in them once. They held up great, and you can't even tell they were bailed in.

They have good lateral support, and the inner lace up system makes them very comfy. Most of the parts are replaceable as well.

I wish I would have went with the perforated version, but the regular version is tolerable in the heat. Otherwise, my only other complaint is that they squeak - a lot. Even after owning them for over 3 years, they still squeak. Not that big of a deal since I don't spend a lot of time walking around in them.

What type of riding do you plan on doing in these boots? There are lots of decent options if it's just for street riding, or cruising. Nothing wrong with race boots on the street, but they'll obviously be more expensive.

bjstare
01-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah, it all depends on what type of riding you plan on doing. I have a set of puma desmo's and love them.. they look sweet and are super comfy. I would not want to ride on the track with them though, I don't feel like they would provide the protection I would like. They're great for riding around town and hitting twistys though, and I can walk all day in them if I want.

civic_stylez
01-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by japan_us
I have Alpinestars SMX-Plus boots. I use them for road, and track; where I have crashed in them once. They held up great, and you can't even tell they were bailed in.

They have good lateral support, and the inner lace up system makes them very comfy. Most of the parts are replaceable as well.

I wish I would have went with the perforated version, but the regular version is tolerable in the heat. Otherwise, my only other complaint is that they squeak - a lot. Even after owning them for over 3 years, they still squeak. Not that big of a deal since I don't spend a lot of time walking around in them.

What type of riding do you plan on doing in these boots? There are lots of decent options if it's just for street riding, or cruising. Nothing wrong with race boots on the street, but they'll obviously be more expensive.

I have the smx for the street and the smx-plus for full protection. LOVE them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SJW
01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
I love my SIDI's they are the same as Grahams. 5 years old and 0 issues.

yamaha_rider777
02-01-2011, 08:12 AM
I will be doing most of my riding on the street but I do want to hit up the track and turn some laps. What is the best Street boot and best Track boot and then what is the best all round boot?
I do not want to buy low end product, they do not last and they never fit right. I bought 1 pair of cheep motocross boots, and I broke my foot 2 times and my ankle. I will never buy low end again!!!

RC-Cola
02-01-2011, 11:15 AM
I've been creeping your guys responses for a while as I'm thinking about getting back into a bike...

Has anyone or does anyone ride with low cut boots/shoes like these:

Alpinestars Octane Shoes (http://www.alpinestars.com/Octane_Shoe/pd/c/113/np/113/p/251407.html)

Are there pro or cons to these? I'm looking for street only riding to start.

civic_stylez
02-01-2011, 01:50 PM
The alpine SMX is a low cut boot that i wear on the street. It essentially only protects the foot. I wear them more for how they feel for gearing up and down.

japan_us
02-01-2011, 02:37 PM
A buddy of mine wears those Alpinestars Octanes. They look alright on and off the bike, and are comfy to walk in. The protection is decent, however, there isn't much lateral support, if any. It's a compromise - simple as that.

Graham_A_M
02-01-2011, 05:30 PM
For those octane "boots" I'd avoid those completely. The ankle is literally the most commonly injured body part when on a bike. The amount of ankle support those offer is laughable at best. Besides, with that same low side accident that I had, I can see those shoes getting pulled right off, leaving my bare foot as the buffer between the bike and the asphalt. Like i say, just pull your jeans over the boot if you want something that looks good on and off the bike.

JVR1
02-03-2011, 12:08 PM
SIDI boots all the way.

i have a pair of vertigos and immediately found them comfortable and well-formed.

A lot of other boots seemed to have a sloppy fit - chunky/fat in the tongue of the boot.

Graham_A_M
02-10-2011, 11:49 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/326942/fs-sidi-vertigo-motorcycle-boots/

Oh and I forgot to mention, for a "track ready boot" you're good to go with the SIDI's I mentioned. Every bail I've had in them was at the track in a myriad of different situations.
Besides, if the boot can handle having 200 pounds of a 400 pound bike pinning the boot between the bike and the asphalt sliding on it for between 50-70 feet; and still be in great shape, hopefully that'll speak numbers.
Like I say it didn't hurt at all, I got up, picked up the bike and was good to go.
Their design is very intriguing. They offer a ton of protection without being bulky or restrictive to movement in any way.
I've walked around in them for 10 hours on multiple days and haven't had any comfort issues either, even did some hiking around lake Louise once. :dunno:

codetrap
03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I bought the icon accelerant and I love them. Great from the +1 to the +35C temp range. Waterproof, and very very comfortable to wear around. The best bit is that GW price matched cycle gear's website on the spot.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_3403-0153_G
http://www.cyclegear.com/images/footwear/icon_acceleranth20boot_black_MD.jpg

yamaha_rider777
03-04-2011, 03:46 PM
So I have my list down to 2 boots

SIDI Vertigo
Alpinestars SMX-Plus

I found the Vertigos on ebay for $300Can after shipping and the SMX-Plus for $340. I am leaning towards the SIDIs at this point

Graham_A_M
03-05-2011, 03:25 PM
^ Ive found the the SIDI's to be comfortable in 0degree riding all the way up to +39. :dunno: Unless the rest of you is sweating in those types of heats the feet will be fine. They breath quite well when you want them to. Its when your vegging at intersections with zero airflow that both can be a bit much, but the second you take off they just vent off the heat, and you're good to go.

Even at slow aggressive riding around very slow tracks their fine. :thumbsup:
^ That is all for the SIDI's though, I dont think I've used the Alpinestars much if at all.

haunt
03-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Check out the close-outs on newenough.com
There's a pair of sidi b2's going for $245. I've heard really good reviews for this boot, a little less protection than the vertigo's, but perfect for street riding.
I bought a pair of the perforated vertigo's from new enough last year on close-out for $170. The catch was that they had to be white. The black ones were $325.
Shipping was cheap, fast and I didn't catch any border fees. :thumbsup:

bjstare
03-08-2011, 12:18 AM
^I thought it would be a huge mistake getting white boots, but mine look surprisingly good after 2 seasons of daily commuting and longer rides (much longer seasons too, in Victoria).

yamaha_rider777
03-25-2011, 04:51 PM
So I was on the west end of Edmonton getting some Hydraulic hose made up for one of my trailers. The shop told me it would be a while so I decided to drive over to Point west Honda. As it turns out they are closing down the aftermarket Dept and all their stuff is selling at cost. I went upstairs and found the last pair of Alpinestars boots on the rack. I opened the box and it was a set of Black SMX Plus boots, I put them on they fit perfectly! I took them up to the counter and asked what the price was, the girls told me $200 tax in. I now have my boots and for a lot less than I was expecting to pay. Thanks guys for all the advice and I hope to meet up with you guys for a group ride this summer.

Cheers

Graham_A_M
03-25-2011, 09:04 PM
^ holy shit, have to stop by and check out what they have left :eek:

yamaha_rider777
03-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Did you make it to the PointWest sale?