PDA

View Full Version : Best burger in town

Pages : [1] 2

msommers
01-31-2011, 12:57 PM
A friend of a friend's parents owns Buchanan's. I had always heard it was kinda expensive and hence why I avoided it. However they have a deal, I believe everyday, between 3 and 6, where you get a bacon cheeseburger and fries for 10 bucks.

I'm not even kidding, it was the best burger of my life. They're thick and cooked to how you like. I told my parents about it and apparently they grind their own sirloin in the back. They're not greasy at all and everything tasted really fresh. Their fries are cut-up potatoes with the skins still on, which I really like.

We also had the wasabi caesar salads which were awesome. They were like 7 or 8 bucks though which is kinda steep for mostly lettuce.

I have yet to try Rocky's, maybe they'll persuade me but for now, I'd definitely go back there.

PD77
01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Totally agree....I tell people all the time about that place. The burgers are massive!

BigMass
01-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Shouldn’t every restaurant grind their own sirloin in the back? I mean if I wanted a heated up frozen patty I could go to McDonalds. Sounds good though. That’s the only way my dad used to make burgers. Make your own nice thick seasoned patty, no frozen crap.

sputnik
01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by msommers
A friend of a friend's parents owns Buchanan's. I had always heard it was kinda expensive and hence why I avoided it. However they have a deal, I believe everyday, between 3 and 6, where you get a bacon cheeseburger and fries for 10 bucks.

I'm not even kidding, it was the best burger of my life. They're thick and cooked to how you like. I told my parents about it and apparently they grind their own sirloin in the back. They're not greasy at all and everything tasted really fresh. Their fries are cut-up potatoes with the skins still on, which I really like.

I have been to Buchanan's several times and I know that they don't do burgers anything other than well done.

Might be different if you know the owner.

msommers
01-31-2011, 02:29 PM
The waitress didn't know any of us. She casually asked us if medium-rare was ok.

I really don't think us knowing the owner's son had anything to do with how we like our burgers cooked haha.

Kloubek
01-31-2011, 02:35 PM
I thought it was law in Alberta that burgers must be well done?

Perhaps the laws vary if you grind up your own sirloin as opposed to using pre-ground patties. Technically, if a sirloin steak doesn't have to be served well-done, all you're doing it cutting it up so whats the difference?

PD77
01-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I have been to Buchanan's several times and I know that they don't do burgers anything other than well done.

Might be different if you know the owner.

Sorry but you're mistaken...they asked how I wanted it done and were fine with med-rare.

Guillermo
01-31-2011, 07:12 PM
I've heard from several sources that Buchanan's makes OUTSTANDING burgers - best in the city. Never been down there, though, still on my list... maybe this thread will help me get around to it!

jdmakkord
02-01-2011, 03:18 AM
After a trip to boogies and dairy lane 2 weeks ago I beg to differ.

Disoblige
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
However they have a deal, I believe everyday, between 3 and 6, where you get a bacon cheeseburger and fries for 10 bucks.

Cool. If this is indeed true, quite a good deal. That should be enough reason to go give it a try Guillermo if you're in the area lol.

CapnCrunch
02-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Notable has a good burger this month.

msommers
02-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
After a trip to boogies and dairy lane 2 weeks ago I beg to differ.

I'll have to try dairy lane. I've only been for breakfast and it's pretty damn good so I'd imagine their other food is just the same!

Boogies isn't nearly as good as it used to be when Fay and Keith owned it. Never did find out what happen to them.

98brg2d
02-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Technically, if a sirloin steak doesn't have to be served well-done, all you're doing it cutting it up so whats the difference?

E-coli lives on the surface of meat as it is an introduced bacteria (from the slaughter houses and handling). Even a rare steak gets hot enough on the outside to kill all the e-coli. Once you grind it up you distribute bacteria throughout the meat and aren't necessarily heating it up enough to kill it. Even fresh ground meat should be cooked thoroughly. Besides even "fresh" meat has been sitting for atleast 28 days before it gets used.

msommers
02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Ha I did not know that. Interesting.

Nissanaddict
02-03-2011, 08:19 PM
how about steak tartar? How would that differ?

Jonel
02-03-2011, 09:47 PM
CHARCUT Alley Burgers (http://ugonnaeatthat.com/2011/01/28/calgary-charcut-alley-burgers/)
Check this place out, one of the best IMO. The burgers are so juicy and garlic is one of my favorite flavors, so that even brings it up another notch. And you definitely can't beat the unique atmosphere while lining for one up. Some good eye candy in the line-up too on some nights.

Bizzareo
02-03-2011, 10:28 PM
For me its bottle screw bills for a sit down place.

For take out/fast food its either Burger Inn, Holy Griddle, or Harveys (in that order)

98brg2d
02-04-2011, 03:15 PM
how about steak tartar? How would that differ?

It doesn't. How often do you see steak tartare on a menu? I personally haven't seen it.

Lots of people eat undercooked hamburger either on purpose or accidentally and most don't get sick but if you do get sick with e-coli it is really serious. I had a friend who lost a kidney as a result of e-coli food poisoning.

Guillermo
02-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 98brg2d

It doesn't. How often do you see steak tartare on a menu? I personally haven't seen it.

Lots of people eat undercooked hamburger either on purpose or accidentally and most don't get sick but if you do get sick with e-coli it is really serious. I had a friend who lost a kidney as a result of e-coli food poisoning.

i've seen it on menus. i've eaten it off menus. fuck, i even had horse tartare in montreal. aside from just trying to start a dumb argument with Nissanaddict, what is your point?

98brg2d
02-04-2011, 06:27 PM
aside from just trying to start a dumb argument with Nissanaddict, what is your point?

He asked a legitimate question (How would that differ? (refering to steak tartare?)) and I gave a legitimate answer (It doesn't). Where is the argument?

I then asked him a legitimate question (How often do you see steak tartare on a menu? - this was not meant to be rhetorical) which you kind of answered (i've seen it on menus. i've eaten it off menus. fuck, i even had horse tartare in montreal.)

I don't understand your point.

J-hop
02-04-2011, 07:12 PM

E-coli lives on the surface of meat as it is an introduced bacteria (from the slaughter houses and handling). Even a rare steak gets hot enough on the outside to kill all the e-coli. Once you grind it up you distribute bacteria throughout the meat and aren't necessarily heating it up enough to kill it. Even fresh ground meat should be cooked thoroughly. Besides even "fresh" meat has been sitting for atleast 28 days before it gets used.

^this (thought this was common knowledge), I never understood why you hear people at US restaurants ordering them med-rare etc, to me this is just incredibly stupid. My mom ALWAYS bleaches the area after making anything with ground beef and always ensures it is cooked through to me that is just common sense.

I don't get the point of a med-rare etc burger either, i've bitten into an undercooked burger at a restaurant once and it was gross as hell.

Guillermo
02-04-2011, 07:12 PM
sorry dude, i misinterpreted your response and thought you were just being snarky. sorry about that.

Guillermo
02-04-2011, 07:15 PM
well, when butchered properly, beef doesn't contain E. coli, so you can eat it raw. it's just that in most factory slaughterhouses, the intestinal tract is often broken open so the E. coli spills all over the meat. then, you have to cook the surface as 98brg2d pointed out.

I would imagine that anywhere selling tartare is sourcing their meat from safe butchers.

J-hop
02-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

I would imagine that anywhere selling tartare is sourcing their meat from safe butchers.

haha, I duno man after hearing stories from people that are chefs at some supposedly "upscale" restaurants in calgary I wouldn't put my well being in any restaurant's hands (more than I already have to!).

you&me
02-04-2011, 10:00 PM
I had lunch at Bucanan's today and ordered my burger med-rare. It came med-rare. They will cook it any way you like.

And yes, it was EXCELLENT! :drool:

Teknix
02-05-2011, 12:44 PM
I've had dairy lane burgers and they are freaking awsome, but i'm gonna have to check this place out sometime this week sounds awsome! I've never been to a place where they ask you how you want the burger cooked and i love a med-rare burger so sounds just perfect!

know1edge
02-05-2011, 08:26 PM

quite a bit actually

Guillermo
02-05-2011, 08:40 PM
anyone had a burger at Chuckwagon Cafe in Black Diamond? i've heard they're great. the owners have their own heard of cattle, and all there meat comes from there (cool!). i've had breakfast there, but never a burger, but really want to get out there soon and try one.

chathamf
02-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

^this (thought this was common knowledge), I never understood why you hear people at US restaurants ordering them med-rare etc, to me this is just incredibly stupid. My mom ALWAYS bleaches the area after making anything with ground beef and always ensures it is cooked through to me that is just common sense.

I don't get the point of a med-rare etc burger either, i've bitten into an undercooked burger at a restaurant once and it was gross as hell.

Your mom is a shitty cook then. Live a little, a medium rare burger is delicious.

Disoblige
02-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Yeah, after you bite into a medium-rare burger, you tend to be a bit more picky. So damn juicy, flavorful, and simply delicious.

Nissanaddict
02-06-2011, 03:09 AM
well, when butchered properly, beef doesn't contain E. coli, so you can eat it raw. it's just that in most factory slaughterhouses, the intestinal tract is often broken open so the E. coli spills all over the meat. then, you have to cook the surface as 98brg2d pointed out.

Ahh alright. I've ordered it a few times, and my parents eat it quite a bit (and always invite me over when they do). Never had a problem myself. I knew it couldn't have just been some gamble that restaurants participate in.

EDIT - And the spelling is just because I'm usually speaking Polish when eating it, and rarely see it on menus here, lol.

Bizzareo
02-06-2011, 04:14 AM
IIRC its supposed to be illegal for a restaurant to server ground beef anything under med well..

Guillermo
02-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict

Ahh alright. I've ordered it a few times, and my parents eat it quite a bit (and always invite me over when they do). Never had a problem myself. I knew it couldn't have just been some gamble that restaurants participate in.

EDIT - And the spelling is just because I'm usually speaking Polish when eating it, and rarely see it on menus here, lol.

polish butchers :thumbsup:

J-hop
02-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by chathamf

Your mom is a shitty cook then. Live a little, a medium rare burger is delicious.

what the hell does that have to do with the conversation and where are you pulling this from, because she won't cook a burger anything but well? The one time I had a burger that was undercooked (IMO maybe to others its just right) was at a restaurant and I thought it was disgusting and sent it back right away. Not for everyone I guess, doesn't grilling it longer lean out the meat too? I thought thats why american restaurants would serve it below well done because they have to cater to fat asses (no I'm not saying you're a fat ass if you eat it below well done but with the obese population in america if there is a less healthy way to cook something they'll do it!!)

cjay^
02-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

what the hell does that have to do with the conversation and where are you pulling this from, because she won't cook a burger anything but well? The one time I had a burger that was undercooked (IMO maybe to others its just right) was at a restaurant and I thought it was disgusting and sent it back right away. Not for everyone I guess, doesn't grilling it longer lean out the meat too? I thought thats why american restaurants would serve it below well done because they have to cater to fat asses (no I'm not saying you're a fat ass if you eat it below well done but with the obese population in america if there is a less healthy way to cook something they'll do it!!)

I was going to ask about how he drew the correlation between being a bad cook, and choosing to be safe rather than taking a risk when it came to feeding your children.

Then I realized he was probably just trolling.

Toma
02-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Mcdonalds Double Quarter Pounder

or

Double Baconator.

sh0ko
02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
5 guys burgers and fries

ekguy
02-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko
5 guys burgers and fries

not quite but when you're hungover and need a greasy burger it's definitely a welcomed meal.

Toma
02-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko
5 guys burgers and fries
They are aweful.

If you are talking that type of stuff....

I vote for Rocky's Burgers.

ekguy
02-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Honestly I still love the bbq bacon cheeseburger with that nice bbq sauce at Fatburger. Just add an egg to that baby and you're good to go.

Toma
02-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
Honestly I still love the bbq bacon cheeseburger with that nice bbq sauce at Fatburger. Just add an egg to that baby and you're good to go.

mmmm... fatburger lol

Yup, awesome as well.

Oh, and Boogies Burgers is great too!

I gotta be honest though.... I know it's not "gourmet", but fuck me, there is something sooo good about the regular old Baconator.

jdmakkord
02-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Toma

mmmm... fatburger lol

Yup, awesome as well.

Oh, and Boogies Burgers is great too!

I gotta be honest though.... I know it's not "gourmet", but fuck me, there is something sooo good about the regular old Baconator.

Bah, the burger at boogies with bacon and a crispy fried hot dog kills the baconator!

89coupe
02-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Fatburgers has to be the worst buger joint I've ever been to. Read all the hype, tried it, just terrible!!!

The best burger I have had lately is the ground sausage burger at Charcut, absolutely amazing!!!

Now thats a burger worth trying!

ekguy
02-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Fatburger might not be the best...but the worst...come on man...Let's not start with that hehe.

Unknown303
02-08-2011, 11:34 PM
OOoohhh I think I'm heading to Boogies tomorrow.... Need to get my burger on.

89coupe
02-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Fatburger might not be the best...but the worst...come on man...Let's not start with that hehe.

Well, I would rate a Fatburger below a Mcdonalds or A&W burger, so how much lower can you get?

ekguy
02-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Well, I would rate a Fatburger below a Mcdonalds or A&W burger, so how much lower can you get?

thats pathetic...McDonald's has the worse food out there...I get it you don't like fatburger...But Wendy's and McD's aren't even in the same league no matter what.

I looked at the Boogie's website and I'll be trying there on friday. Dunno what to get though.

:D

Offroad
02-10-2011, 05:27 AM
:thumbsup: When the nice weather hits,this weekend, and you get that urge to go for a cruise and a good burger and fries and just a different experience go here>> http://www.marvsclassics.ca/ its right on main street in Back Diamond (maybe 25 min drive south) burgers and fries are handmade look for the big wooden indian out front and he is a car guy.

Offroad
02-10-2011, 05:32 AM
:drool: Here's the menu >> http://www.marvsclassics.ca/menu.html i havent tried the carbonated ice cream but hear its awesome.

Disoblige
02-10-2011, 07:16 AM
^^ Man, they need something like that closer to Calgary :thumbsup:

jdmakkord
02-10-2011, 07:23 AM

thats pathetic...McDonald's has the worse food out there...I get it you don't like fatburger...But Wendy's and McD's aren't even in the same league no matter what.

I looked at the Boogie's website and I'll be trying there on friday. Dunno what to get though.

I had the Jebbs doggie burger, adding a crisp cooked hotdog to a burger=Genius!

Offroad
02-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Facebook For Marv's more pics and info>>> Marvs Soda Shop Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=16877&id=136549073044190#!/pages/Marvs-Classic-Soda-Shop/136549073044190)

89coupe
02-10-2011, 09:51 AM

I know, it is pathetic. How anyone can enjoy those crappy burgers is beyond me.

msommers
02-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Offroad
:thumbsup: When the nice weather hits,this weekend, and you get that urge to go for a cruise and a good burger and fries and just a different experience go here>> http://www.marvsclassics.ca/ its right on main street in Back Diamond (maybe 25 min drive south) burgers and fries are handmade look for the big wooden indian out front and he is a car guy.

I'll have to check that place out! I've heard there is a great place in Hanna too, where the burgers are enormous!

bball2
02-10-2011, 10:48 AM
The Den Reloaded (The Den - University of Calgary bar).

1/2lb burger
thick bacon
mushrooms
cheddar / mozarella / havarti
lettuce / tomato / onion

Best burger in Calgary IMO :drool:

msommers
02-10-2011, 10:58 AM
haha is that the 26 dollar one?

20incheyes
02-10-2011, 01:34 PM

What made it worse? I just don't understand how this can even happen?

Do you prefer hot toppings on your burger?

I've been to the deerfoot meadows fatburger only and find the burger fresh and tasty but not cheap either compared to McDonalds.

Benny
02-10-2011, 02:02 PM

I'll have to check that place out! I've heard there is a great place in Hanna too, where the burgers are enormous!

If we're talking out of town:

Burger Boy in Red Deer

http://www.burgerboy.ca/

I hit it up lots as I'm always going through Red Deer for work. It's awesome burgers for pretty cheap. Tasty as fuck and not an overly greasy, "Feel like shit for a day after" kinda burger.

89coupe
02-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 20incheyes

What made it worse? I just don't understand how this can even happen?

Do you prefer hot toppings on your burger?

I've been to the deerfoot meadows fatburger only and find the burger fresh and tasty but not cheap either compared to McDonalds.

The buns they use are just terrible, bottom of the bucket stale white buns that haven't been toasted, so they get soggy and fall apart.

The burger itself is dry and tasteless, I swear they are frozen store bought crap. Not fresh made.

The toppings don't appear fresh, & the lettuce was limp. This was at the Glenmore/Deerfoot location. Just gross.

ekguy
02-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I tried Boogie Burger's version of the big mac...It was really good for the most part, but they forgot my egg, which sucked since I drove from there to home (lake chaparal) before opening my burger.

Was still tasty but I think I won't have that burger again, I'll try something else like their bacon wrapped deep fried hot dog.

Also on a side note Boogie's sweet potato fries were hands down in the top 3 I've had ever.

sneek
02-13-2011, 10:07 AM
haha is that the 26 dollar one?

Nope, that one is called the burger extreme. It takes 30 minutes to make, has 2lb of beef, 1/3 of an onion, one tomato. It is quite the monster!

The Boss at the Den is quite good as well. I think that it is only 16 but is quite a feast.

aespana
02-13-2011, 11:37 AM
south st burger co in crossiron mills is pretty good too!!

Guillermo
02-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Stavro's on 4th st. and 40th ave. NW also makes a really great burger. It's been a few years since i've been there, so i'm not sure if it's "best in the city," but I was always really satisfied when I had them in the past. and when it comes to food, i'm probably one of the pickiest people in the world!

Disoblige
02-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Stavro's on 4th st. and 40th ave. NW also makes a really great burger. It's been a few years since i've been there, so i'm not sure if it's "best in the city," but I was always really satisfied when I had them in the past. and when it comes to food, i'm probably one of the pickiest people in the world!
Are you sure? :poosie:

You like Engg lounge, did you not? LOL

Guillermo
02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Are you sure? :poosie:

You like Engg lounge, did you not? LOL

i'm positive - they were really good burgers!

and yea, I do like the engg lounge sometimes, although i've only been there a handful of times. on-campus food really doesn't "count," though, since your choices are limited to what is available. I'm sorry, but i've been at the U for 10 years now, and I can only eat so much Kobe Beef and Oriental Wok. so yea, the Engg cafe is a nice change! :thumbsup:

sabad66
03-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Went to boogie's last week, and rocky's yesterday. Tried the hot dog burger at Boogie's and damn was it good. Fries were not too bad either. Gonna try it with an egg next time.

Rocky's patties are really good, but the burgers are kinda boring (just relish, mustard, & onions). The fries at Rocky's are also pretty gross.. If I go again i'll definitely skip the fries. Pretty good if you are in the area and want a quick burger, not to mention they have some dimesss serving your burgers :bigpimp:

msommers
03-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Some friends and I checked out this alley burger business. One guy has been many times before and suggested to get there quite early - a solid piece of advice. Apparently this thing is blowing up from he has seen. About half the line got cut and were told there weren't enough burgers for everyone.

We waited probably 45minutes. The burgers themselves were plain but still quite tasty. For $5 and the surprising amount of hubbub, plus a guy dressed in a bacon costume, it was an enjoyable experience. But personally, waiting so long in line to get a burger is just not worth it to go more than once or twice.

Still, I'd suggest everyone to check it out once. You have to check their twitter/facebook to find out what nights they're hosting it. Place is called Charcut.

flipstah
03-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Offroad

Whoa, a diner from the '50s! That's fuckin' awesome!

+1 for South St Burger Co. You can get some wicked combinations of sauces with your freshly grilled, hand-made patty. :drool:

89coupe
03-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Some friends and I checked out this alley burger business. One guy has been many times before and suggested to get there quite early - a solid piece of advice. Apparently this thing is blowing up from he has seen. About half the line got cut and were told there weren't enough burgers for everyone.

We waited probably 45minutes. The burgers themselves were plain but still quite tasty. For $5 and the surprising amount of hubbub, plus a guy dressed in a bacon costume, it was an enjoyable experience. But personally, waiting so long in line to get a burger is just not worth it to go more than once or twice.

Still, I'd suggest everyone to check it out once. You have to check their twitter/facebook to find out what nights they're hosting it. Place is called Charcut.

Why don't you just make reso's at the restaurant, order the burger and a nice beer and enjoy it while dining in the restaurant?

flipstah
03-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Why don't you just make reso's at the restaurant, order the burger and a nice beer and enjoy it while dining in the restaurant?

Usually the alley burger is open when the restaurant is not.

89coupe
03-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Usually the alley burger is open when the restaurant is not.

So go when its open:dunno:

LOL, I don't get it, a person would rather stand out in the cold for 45min waiting to eat a burger, then make reso's inside the restaurant, sit down, sip on a cold beer, and enjoy a nice burger?:dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2011, 10:30 AM
I tried Lounge Burger very recently and it was average. The appetizers were VERY good, but the burgers themselves were average. Very small patties and the buns were WAY too big (~2" extra all around the burger). I had the "Southwest" burger, and my friends had the Italian Sausage burger I think. For the price I wasn't too impressed, but it tasted alright after the few bites of pure bread.

TorqueDog
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Jonel
CHARCUT Alley Burgers (http://ugonnaeatthat.com/2011/01/28/calgary-charcut-alley-burgers/)
Check this place out, one of the best IMO. The burgers are so juicy and garlic is one of my favorite flavors, so that even brings it up another notch. And you definitely can't beat the unique atmosphere while lining for one up. Some good eye candy in the line-up too on some nights. CHARCUT FTMFW as far as I'm concerned. Love that place.

Not a bad choice of venue to take a date to either.

msommers
03-15-2011, 07:20 PM
LOL, I don't get it, a person would rather stand out in the cold for 45min waiting to eat a burger, then make reso's inside the restaurant, sit down, sip on a cold beer, and enjoy a nice burger?:dunno:

Why? Well, I already said why. The burger itself isn't that different - just bigger and with a fried egg.

To go inside for the burger, it's $17 for lunch or $22.50 for dinner, plus a drink, plus tip. A big step from $5.

I'd still prefer to make a burger at home or go to Buchanan's when they have their $10 special.

Benny
03-15-2011, 07:30 PM
I'd still prefer to make a burger at home

That's the thing. I love trying new places around town but I don't think I've ever had a burger that was better than something I could slap together for a small fraction of the price at home. The deciding factor is how lazy I'm feeling that day. :rofl:

That being said, I'm hitting up the Alley Burger next time I'm back in town just for the sake of trying it out.

Jesus
03-23-2011, 04:52 AM
I don't mind Burger Inn if I'm in the mood to try something out of the ordinary. Bottlescrew Bill's has a wicked Bison burger as well.

Tik-Tok
03-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Benny

That's the thing. I love trying new places around town but I don't think I've ever had a burger that was better than something I could slap together for a small fraction of the price at home. The deciding factor is how lazy I'm feeling that day. :rofl:

:werd:

That can be said about most meals too, but going to a restaurant isn't about better food IMO. It's about socialization and as you said laziness in making it yourself, lol.

ExtraSlow
03-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Was at boogies again last night. Pizza burger, yam fries, and that delicious dipping sauce. Happy with my choice, as always.

jdmakkord
03-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Was at boogies again last night. Pizza burger, yam fries, and that delicious dipping sauce. Happy with my choice, as always.

I was there last night with the wife too. Jeb's doggie burger and fries for me, and the veggie with fries for my wife. I've had the same burger 4 times in a row and nothing but rave reviews from me. :)

Guillermo
03-30-2011, 08:29 AM
man, i REALLY need to get to Boogie's one of these days... i can't believe i've never been there, especially considering that people seriously RAVE about that place. and i used to live like 7 minutes away. i'm gonna make a point this weekend.

raceman6135
03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
i'm gonna make a point this weekend.

Don't forget that they are closed on Sundays, and they can be quite busy on Saturdays right up until they close at 8pm.

A few weeks ago, I went at about 7pm on a Saturday and they were so busy I didn't get my food until 740pm -- still worth the wait, though!

Oh, and you can phone in your order if you don't want to wait in line!

gaijin
03-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Rocky's patties are really good, but the burgers are kinda boring (just relish, mustard, & onions). The fries at Rocky's are also pretty gross.. If I go again i'll definitely skip the fries. Pretty good if you are in the area and want a quick burger, not to mention they have some dimesss serving your burgers :bigpimp:
I'm never sure if people know this, but Rocky's burgers don't have to come with just relish/mustard/onions, it just depends on what you tell them to put on it. I think the confusion is because they state (clearly on their menu) that 'loaded' is relish/mustard/onion. You can ask for lettuce/tomato/ketchup if you want (and I have, and it's good).

The fries are... an acquired taste. They can vary in quality from day to day, too.

I've never had an issue with their burgers, though.

JDMMAN
03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Try the new "Grandma" (aka Prime Rib) burger from A&W.. the sauteed onions are to die for! :drool:

01RedDX
03-30-2011, 08:22 PM

Disoblige
04-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Tried Boogie's.

What a dissapointment. Nothing special at all. It was satisfactory, and Yan fries were good. Otherwise, meeeh. Rather spend 28 dollars somewhere else.

jdmakkord
04-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Tried Boogie's.

What a dissapointment. Nothing special at all. It was satisfactory, and Yan fries were good. Otherwise, meeeh. Rather spend 28 dollars somewhere else.

Which burger did you try? They have great burgers and others that are average.

Guillermo
04-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Which burger did you try? They have great burgers and others that are average.

oh! can you tell us some of the good ones? cause i'm the type of idiot who would probably go in and order one of the average ones :rofl:

jdmakkord
04-01-2011, 10:03 PM

oh! can you tell us some of the good ones? cause i'm the type of idiot who would probably go in and order one of the average ones :rofl:

Well my favorite doesn't sound like much on the menu. Lol. Jebs doggie burger. Patty, bacon, hotdog and their regular toppings.

adidas
04-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Tried Boogie's.

Had about the same review when Boogie's was brought up about 6 or so months ago, on here.

Just an okay burger.

dingbathero
04-02-2011, 07:48 PM
2 Burger joints in 3 days...

5 Guys Burgers.... was good. NOT GREAT.. just good, taste. they were a MESS to eat, and half way thru I said fuck this.... I don't like to eat my burgers like it's soup.

then just today went to

Tommy's Burgers - very nice looking burger, well stacked. Great flavour but I am pretty sure it was a store packaged burger, which was upsetting... Better than 5 Guys tho, by far.

Still not overly impressed with either and I will never go back... still trying to find the ONE ;)

Guillermo
04-02-2011, 08:54 PM
^^do you mean Tommy Burger Bar? THAT PLACE SUCKS :barf: and yea, the patties are definitely frozen hockey pucks :rofl:

dingbathero
04-02-2011, 11:49 PM
^^do you mean Tommy Burger Bar? THAT PLACE SUCKS :barf: and yea, the patties are definitely frozen hockey pucks :rofl:

YEa that's the place... yeah not great by any means...

cam_wmh
04-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I know, I know.. not in town.

In N Out.. drove my new car back from Phoenix, and stopped in SLC. Absolutely the best burger ever.

The drive-through line-up was almost 30 minutes. (lol drove 21 straight hours too that day).

I've already researched franchising. Unfortunately it's a pretty tight knit group of owners. I'd love to bring them up here.

Neil4Speed
04-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Went to boogies today, I got the one with Mush+Onions, and the other with the Split Hot Dog. I must say I love the buns they use, really light and flakey (like a hot dog bun). Overall quite good, but not as good as Loungeburger or 5 Guys.

Their fries were not good, extremely greasy.

darthVWader
04-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I just hit the Canyon Rose in Cochrane and had one awesome burger and poutine!!!!!!!!

http://canyonrosesteakhouse.com/

I got the Build it Forward burger (Bison) with poutine :love:

boarderfatty
04-14-2011, 10:03 PM
I am not sure if you guys have any original Joe's down there but they also do a pretty mean burger, specifically the Sicilian.

A pretty good thick juicy patty with mozzarella, and provolone cheese, mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato, and most importantly an Italian sausage split down the middle and laid across the burger. It also has those fancy Earls style buns to top it all off.

dino_martini
05-10-2011, 12:46 PM
BUMP! I just had a burger at South Street Burger Co. in Crossiron Mills and I would say it was better than Five Guys. Same people as New York Fries.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/martman104/fef77bc8.jpg

Not the best picture, but I took a bite before I took the photo and was trying to hide it lol.

Definitely worth the drive up to CIM, even if you just grab a burger and then check out Bass Pro.

adidas
05-10-2011, 01:49 PM
^ Hand sculpted burger? or frozen puck?

sputnik
05-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by adidas
^ Hand sculpted burger? or frozen puck?

South Street Burger's are definitely frozen pucks and no where near as good as Five Guys.

My wife and I went there a little while ago and were quite disappointed.

sexualbanana
05-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh

I've already researched franchising. Unfortunately it's a pretty tight knit group of owners. I'd love to bring them up here.

Aren't they all family owned?