PDA

View Full Version : Oil.

ZenOps
01-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Yeehaw! Shes heading to the moon again.

Is the US done for? Importing 11,000,000 bbl per day and this revolution in Egypt so far seems to be easily attaching $10/bbl.

Assuming at least three months of unrest (whether they go with a democracy or Kim Jong Il is their choice). Its on course to be $10 Billion more than the US was probably expecting to pay to keep the gas guzzlers running.

It might free up the whole region to sell oil to who they want to - instead of oil for food or oil for overpriced fighter airplanes.

Supa Dexta
01-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Its too bad you're chinese^

Im going to grow one hell of a garden this summer, and I've got lots of cattle. Hell I may even get a few chickens and pigs again.

I do get a kick out of related articles calling it 'the great recession of 2008'..

WTF? Great recession? Did that really happen? Because the great depression we've all heard about from the late 20's sounded a lot worse then what we just went through, to label it 'great'..:dunno:

Xtrema
01-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
WTF? Great recession? Did that really happen? Because the great depression we've all heard about from the late 20's sounded a lot worse then what we just went through, to label it 'great'..:dunno:

The only difference is we now have a credit system to borrow from the future. The situation was just as dire but we got off lucky in Canada, especially the western provinces.

Graham_A_M
01-31-2011, 05:18 PM

Im going to grow one hell of a garden this summer, and I've got lots of cattle. Hell I may even get a few chickens and pigs again.

I do get a kick out of related articles calling it 'the great recession of 2008'..

Perhaps you should have visited Florida or Cali for a few weeks and tell me that. I've talked to a bunch of people down in the states, and it was just brutal for them.
No 38% unemployment, but still almost on par for the short while it lasted.

ZenOps
01-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Many states are tough because of the infrastructure.

When you have a 3 hour commute, it not only eats into productivity from a hours you could be working standpoint, but also the ridiculous amount of oil that is burnt in that period of time. A minimum wager isn't going to be able to afford a gas tank and still be able to do anything else.

Add to that - the hotter states have to actively cool everything from the workplace, car, to a house. It takes 3x more energy to cool something than it does to heat. If you thought your heating bill was bad, just look at the cooling bills for people in the hot states.

But that does not get much sympathy from me, when you consider the population of the US that is obese.

Chinese mainlanders tend to equate wealth with obesity yes. Some equate shiny cars, some shiny gold, some great fields of land, others a big house.

But all things come to an end.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/01/30/eveningnews/main7300082.shtml

Toma
01-31-2011, 06:42 PM
All according to plan....

"The US" as in the people don't want this, but their corporatist/banker puppet masters sure do ;)

ExtraSlow
01-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Dear God, Please send me another Oil Boom, I swear I won't squander it this time.

max_boost
01-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Dear God, Please send me another Oil Boom, I swear I won't squander it this time.

HAHA!

It's funny because I was thinking the EXACT same thing. :rofl: :thumbsup:

ZenOps
01-31-2011, 08:12 PM

Have no fear. I will be there to trade you 200 pure copper Canadian pennies for a small piece of beef when the US electronic dollar inevitably collapses.

Type_S1
01-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps

Have no fear. I will be there to trade you 200 pure copper Canadian pennies for a small piece of beef when the US electronic dollar inevitably collapses.

$2 for a small piece of beef? You lost me here...doesn't seem that bad?

ZenOps
01-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

$2 for a small piece of beef? You lost me here...doesn't seem that bad?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Inflationmedal.jpg/220px-Inflationmedal.jpg

"1 pound of meat 36 billion marks" Germany 1923.

Now, you can either pay $2 worth in copper (which is "tangible" trade) or whatever the paper or electronic value is at the time.

Ven
01-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeehaw! Shes heading to the moon again.

Is the US done for? Rob Anders drinks 11,000,000 bbl per day and this revolution in Egypt so far seems to be easily attaching $10/bbl.

CUG
02-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Dear God, Please send me another Oil Boom, I swear I won't squander it this time. Isn't this a company sticker somewhere? lol

ExtraSlow
02-01-2011, 07:10 AM
J&L Supply gives out a sticker like this. I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

Supa Dexta
02-01-2011, 10:43 AM

Count me in!

Double edged sword though for us. The US will continue to rely on us for a secure source of the oil it needs. But if this shit triggers another recession (pushes them further into the one they are in) the demand is going to drop..

Im leaning towards this being good for us though. Once they put the money/infrastructure in place to buy from us, they won't return to the middle east, even if it does stabilize for quite some time, if at all to the levels they used to..

ZenOps
02-01-2011, 11:36 AM
If Syria starts to crumble, then I'd think Canada should start putting a premium on Canadian oil.

North Sea Brent, Arabian, standard light sweet. Just like coffee, they all come from different areas but if you want Canadian politically stable oil - how about a 2% price premium?

There was a time when Canadian pine wood-would demand a premium, nowadays we end up giving it away to the US.

If Egypt actually gets through this with some form of happy ending, then forget what I just said.

Xtrema
02-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Squandering makes booms fun.

kvg
02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Honestly, how many people on here will have a change in lifestyle if gas is 50 cents a liter or $2.50?

Dave P
02-01-2011, 12:21 PM
If Syria starts to crumble, then I'd think Canada should start putting a premium on Canadian oil.

THIS!!!!!

benyl
02-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Honestly, how many people on here will have a change in lifestyle if gas is 50 cents a liter or $2.50?

I am betting a lot of people will have a change in lifestyle.

If it costs you $10 to drive to work instead of $2, that is going to put a pretty big dent in your income if you are making minimum wage.

Then again, everyone on Beyond is a baller.

Supa Dexta
02-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by kvg

I'd probably stop driving back and forth to NS.. :dunno: Ive got multiple vehicles in both provinces now anyways. :rofl:

CapnCrunch
02-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Imagine if beyonders couldn't afford cold air intakes and custom exhausts on their Civics? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!

Xtrema
02-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by kvg

Let's assume that we are @ $1 and we will hit $1.50 by summer.

Directly my wallet will be hit by about $150/month.

Indirectly, I think fuel impact most consumables by about 5-6%. A 50% increase ideally would raise the cost by about 3%. So that's probably about $30-$40/month on my grocery bill.

So to me, immediate impact would be $200/month for every 50 cents increase in gas price.

And you would probably travel less, both on road or in air.

But in the long term, everything else will inflate faster akin to 2005-2007 in Calgary. $200 a month isn't that big of impact but being able to stay ahead of the forthcoming inflation will be. (ie, people being priced out of houses and service industry cost a lot more)

ZenOps
02-01-2011, 07:31 PM
The US isn't even finished Quantitative easing II, and they are already planning III.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/01/usa-fed-hoenig-idUSN0112049620110201

This might be the year of inflation if my guess is right. Gasoline, natural gas, electricity, bananas, pretty much everything. Mcdonalds is slightly ahead of the curve and they are already in the process of raising prices (which hasn't substantially happened since I can remember)