PDA

View Full Version : Photo Radar Question

ZeeZee
02-02-2011, 08:56 AM
If there are two cars side by side... how do they pick the car to give the ticket to?

FraserB
02-02-2011, 10:48 AM
If this was a place with the speed on green camera, they can identify which person was speeding and by how much using the camera. If it was a regular photo radar van, it will most likely not make it through the review phase since you cant tell who was speeding.

TorqueDog
02-02-2011, 10:51 AM
OP, I read the rest of your post before you edited it and it was a bit retarded.

Anyway, to answer your question, you didn't go through photo radar. You went through an intersection speed camera which do not operate using radar.

The intersection speed/red light camera system uses a series of induction loops in the road surface (which is why you see all those seams cut into the road at intersections where the cameras have been put up).

As your vehicle passes over the induction loop, it creates interference. This interference is transmitted to the computer in the camera housing. As you pass over the second loop, same thing occurs. The computer now performs a calculation as to how long it took for the second induction loop to be triggered after the first, and thus determines the speed of the vehicle that set them off.

Each lane has its own set of induction loops, so individual lanes can be targeted.

Cliffsnotes: Each lane can independently monitor speeds of vehicles passing through the intersection. You're screwed.

ZeeZee
02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
OP, I read the rest of your post before you edited it and it was a bit retarded.

Anyway, to answer your question, you didn't go through photo radar. You went through an intersection speed camera which do not operate using radar.

It was a van, not intersection (I never said it was)

I edited it because the only relevant info is that there are two cars in the picture, and that it's photo radar van. No further information is really helpful or necessary.