PDA

View Full Version : Using My AMA Plus for Another Vehicle?

Joe-G
02-02-2011, 10:28 PM
How do i go about using my AMA plus for another car that isnt registered in my name? Is that even possible?

To explain the situation, my brother crashed and possibly totaled my dads car, and it was towed to the impound lot. Id like to have it towed back to our house so i can have a look at it, and see if its fixable.

Has anyone used their AMA for a friends car before? Do they have to sign the car over to me? I dont know if the cars worth fixing, but id at least like to take a shot at it.

Tripz
02-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I used it a few times when the car is not registered under my name. As long as you're "in" the car as a passenger they should have no problem towing it.

rojhero
02-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Should be fine as long as you're present. I don't know about towing from an impound lot though.

G-ZUS
02-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Just tell them you were driving it

KO22
02-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Just tell them you were driving it

Errol.
02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
You just have to be there
Ive done it before and they let me

Godfuader
02-03-2011, 12:29 AM
AMA service is for the driver and not based on any particular vehicle.

Everlast
02-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah like the other guys said, you just need to be there and they'll tow whatever car it is.

One thing to consider though, AMA won't "re-tow" the car from the same location. So if you tow it to your house and you can't fix it and need it towed to a shop, they won't do it.

ercchry
02-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Everlast

One thing to consider though, AMA won't "re-tow" the car from the same location. So if you tow it to your house and you can't fix it and need it towed to a shop, they won't do it.

sure they will... just have to come up with a new issue

"oh it got fixed, now... blah blah blah broke, need to take it to blah because blah blah blah"

KO22
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Everlast
Yeah like the other guys said, you just need to be there and they'll tow whatever car it is.

I got mine re-towed yesterday the same vehicle after 1 day :dunno:

Everlast
02-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I was told that by the AMA rep on the phone. Guess it varies on who you get.

btimbit
02-03-2011, 10:59 PM
An AMA membership is for the person, not the car. So as long as you're there, they should have no problem doing it.

As for re-towing, they say they won't do it, i.e, they'll tow it somewhere but won't tow it back. But they're not firm on that, all it takes is a little arguing. Since I payed extra for the plus membership so I could get better towing coverage, I argued that I payed extra for nothing and they were ripping me off. They towed it after that.

I've noticed people at AMA like to treat you like you're an idiot. As soon as you prove that you do know what you're talking about, they play nice.