PDA

View Full Version : 18 hole indoor course right here in Alberta?

roopi
01-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Take a look at this:

http://www.myriadgolf.com/flash.html

You can click flyby for a quicktime video of the concept. This is amazing.

sputnik
01-09-2004, 01:57 PM
is this still all conceptual? or has construction started?

DUBBED
01-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Looks like a perfect disaster to me. The holes are too close together and will create problems with people slicing it into another fairway. Besides that the ball flies different indoors in a pressured environment compared to outside, go to the golf dome and notice how much faster the ball rises and slices or hooks away. 350 ft high is not nearly high enough, when I connect on a drive it flies at least 400-450 ft when it maxes out. Neat concept but sorry to say it will never work.

I thought of a similar idea back when I was like 12, I'm pretty sure it would work but would take MASSIVE funding and engineering efforts far beyond what it takes to construct a normal golf course. The only problem I could see with my design is people being too big of sissies to brave cold weather. ;)

A_3
01-09-2004, 02:30 PM
No money to be made doing that, that will cost an amazing amount to build and they will never reap the dividends, probably some American decided it would be a good idea to put an indoor golf course where it snows in the winter, except it's nice the other 6months and no one wants to golf indoors then... so why not just build an outdoor one for alot less money...?

sputnik
01-09-2004, 02:36 PM
probably better of using that technology to build a full size driving range... and then see how practical it is to hit under it

in other alberta related sports technology initiatives...

www.cew.ca

Roadrage
01-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by A_3
No money to be made doing that, that will cost an amazing amount to build and they will never reap the dividends, probably some American decided it would be a good idea to put an indoor golf course where it snows in the winter, except it's nice the other 6months and no one wants to golf indoors then... so why not just build an outdoor one for alot less money...?

Exactly...6 months for golf...the other 6 for hockey/snowboarding/skiing/etc.

kaput
01-10-2004, 12:34 AM

roopi
01-10-2004, 01:11 AM
i think they mean it will start in the fall of 2004. not sure though :dunno:

RiCE-DaDDy
01-10-2004, 02:41 AM
Well, they say the course "will" be PGA certifiable, so any problems like fairways being too close shouldnt happen.

Good points DUBBED. no offense, but if you could easily come up with that. I'm sure their ppl thought of it too and probably found a way to address that.

DUBBED
01-10-2004, 09:14 AM
None taken. I plan on making a living playing golf, and I'm sure any avid golfer would agree with me that this is one of those things you do once just to say you did it. When I was in Las Vegas recently we went and toured this course that was being built at 9000+ yards. I was talking to the owner and he said if he can get every avid golfer in North America to play if once "just cause" he will be happy. That is the only way I could see this making money, if people played it just cause. I know from my standpoint that there are better ways to keep the golf game in shape over the winter.

I dunno I guess I'm just a traditional person. The way I see it; the technology has been around to do this for decades, and there are reasons why nobody has invested money in it. Nonetheless I'll be very interested to see if this works out.

pinoyhero
01-10-2004, 11:57 AM
That would be a money maker I think, there are a ton of golfers in Calgary that miss their sport up to 8 months of the year sometimes.

4G63Power
01-10-2004, 01:27 PM
I sent an email to inquire about the project, so it'll be interesting to see if I get a reply.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-10-2004, 11:06 PM
im not too sure bout the location as well

alberta canada?? wtf?:D

4G63Power
01-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Here is the reply I got:

The project is definitely a reality and is going to be built in Tunica, Mississippi. www.tunicamiss.org Thank you for your inquiry and as an avid golfer, you’ll have a place to travel to see the next “big thing”. We are placing a shovel in the ground July of this year and plan on opening the fourth quarter of 2006.