PDA

View Full Version : Any Drafting Designers out there?

Jry_79
02-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Hello everyone, this request is for a friend.

He asked me if I knew of any Mechanical / Piping designers / drafters. I guess their company is looking for candidates

anyways I sent a mass email out to my friends who are designers and all of them are currently working, and those who were laid off are back on the job, they do not know anyone who is currently unemployed.

Is it really that busy again???? Anyways he is at a very small company so they are not looking for allot of people, he mentioned maybe 1 or 2. He did specify they are actively looking for fresh meat. (preferably junior)

Anyways please Private Message me so I can pass on the details, I'm not going to post the company as I did not confirm with him if I can activley search for his request on the beyond forum.

thanks!

SJW
02-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I am but im pretty sure my demands are really high.

JfuckinC
02-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by SJW

haha samesiesss

Jry_79
02-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by SJW

From my experience in the industry, as long as it's realistic there is no "Really High Demand" if you are good at what you do and you have good personable skills, (im not sure of my friends company) but with many other's i don't think it's far fetched for a company to compensate an individual based on their performance / experience etc.

Some individuals do however expect unreasonable demands and can't perform, but hey, those individuals don't really last more than a month anyways.

SJW
02-03-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm not up for a move right now but i'd like to know what they design. Perhaps for the future.

Sugarphreak
02-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Jry_79
02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Very busy right now... you won't find many people not working right now.

Huge amount of ship jumping going on too, companies have been forced to raise rates (almost every firm I know of has given out rate increases since November).

My work load is quite steady right now, but I'm not in the drafting / design department. The industry is always like this but its always funny when 1-3 months back I knew a handful of people looking and within a few months, can't even find one....good ol Calgary

BigMass
02-03-2011, 05:38 PM
I am an intermediate piping designer. I was with Bantrel but have been unemployed ever since the mass layoffs at the end of 2008. I can’t say I’ve been looking too hard but I think it’s about time to get back to work.

Cos
02-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I am currently interviewing 3 new people this and next week. I am SLAMMED right now. Just over 23 million in active projects which is huge for my industry. Typically a mile costs me about 25k to build overhead. The station work alone is almost 5 mill of that. You figure out how much work that is as I dont have time. Lol

That being said we are still getting 60 resumes at a time. The difference is that out of 60 resumes, 8 are qualified and 5 are worth talking to. There seems to be a lot of USELESS people laid off. All the good people I would like to pick up are busy too.

Just FYI I think that the industry didnt slow down as much as some people think. I have averaged about a new job offer every 6 or so months since I graduated school. Through the recession and all. Granted though none of them were GOOD jobs but there are jobs.

Sugarphreak
02-03-2011, 08:37 PM

Jlude
02-03-2011, 08:49 PM

Hmmmm... I probably know you

Best is when you get a resume that reads "SENIOR DESIGNER"... and they have 3 years of actual experience.

Actually a lot of those lately... everybody is a fucking self proclaimed senior these days. Does nobody know how this works anymore?

0-4 Years experience = Junior
5-10 Years experience = Intermediate
11-15 years experience = Senior

And no... being a sales person at staples does not count.

I see this all the time. It's insane...

BigMass
02-03-2011, 08:55 PM

Oh yeah? Maybe. I’m pretty open on beyond especially with the amount of stuff I sold on the marketplace. Curious to who you think I am and why you think that :p

Sugarphreak
02-03-2011, 10:17 PM

Jry_79
02-03-2011, 10:44 PM

Best is when you get a resume that reads "SENIOR DESIGNER"... and they have 3 years of actual experience.

Actually a lot of those lately... everybody is a fucking self proclaimed senior these days. Does nobody know how this works anymore?

0-4 Years experience = Junior
5-10 Years experience = Intermediate
11-15 years experience = Senior

And no... being a sales person at staples does not count.

The funny thing is some people with actual 7 years isn't even close to other's 3 years, being in a large size company or a small size company, level of responsibility, field exposure etc etc, alot of factors come into play.

LOL one senior designer joined our company in 2010, he had 10+ experience...he was talking about his last company he worked for, proclaiming he wouldn't get out of bed for 120K per year (contract) etc etc......it took 2 days to find out he didn't know what the fuk he was doing. The juniors / intermediate's in his group could blow him out of the water. He lasted 3 weeks, one of the hardest person to deal with professionally, ....the other designers had to fix all the shiet he created. Say allot of his references, some people really need to clue in that when you refer someone, it reflects on you!

Later we found out the guy was doing P&ID mark ups for the past 7 years LOL.......dude had absolutely no experience in piping design.......LOL imagine looking at the 3d drawings and seeing the piping right in front of the door?? senior...really??? lol

Sugarphreak
02-03-2011, 10:59 PM

Cos
02-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Phreak. I agree with you but I was promoted to team lead last year. We call them senior designers. I had 4 years haha. This year I was bumped to project manager.

When it comes time to move on should I not call myself by the title I had on my cards? Serious question as I dont know since I was promoted to that position but dont want to look like a title seeking whore.

Sugarphreak
02-04-2011, 09:32 AM

Cos
02-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Yeah my email doesn't even say designer. It just says electrical design.

JfuckinC
02-04-2011, 10:49 AM
^^ Until I had 5 years experience I refused to call myself an intermediate. However the company I was with had moved me into a lead position well before then and forced a senior title onto me. That was thier choice to do so, not mine.

Similarly when I moved to another firm, I insisted that I am an intermediate... they hired me as a senior. I don't like to misrepresent myself, what might be a senior in the eyes of one company might be a junior in the eyes of another.

That being said, as you likely know from your situation... if you are good at what you do, you land on top fairly quickly.

Same thing happened to me, Got hired as a senior/lead design long before 10 years. I've still got lots of work to go on keeping with standards and remembering little nit picky things on plot plans mostly, but give me a set of P&ID's and a lease and i can design anything. My mechanical knowledge is there i just hate following stupid/archaic standards. They just started up one of the storage/process facility i designed 2 weeks ago with zero issues :poosie:

Originally posted by Cos
Yeah my email doesn't even say designer. It just says electrical design.

you're only like 25 right?

ercchry
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
so... if you are the only draftsman in a company... does that make you senior? :rofl:

JfuckinC
02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
so... if you are the only draftsman in a company... does that make you senior? :rofl:

haha hell ya, senior/lead/manager :rofl:

Cos
02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Same thing happened to me, Got hired as a senior/lead design long before 10 years. I've still got lots of work to go on keeping with standards and remembering little nit picky things on plot plans mostly, but give me a set of P&ID's and a lease and i can design anything. My mechanical knowledge is there i just hate following stupid/archaic standards. They just started up one of the storage/process facility i designed 2 weeks ago with zero issues :poosie:

you're only like 25 right?

si' sinor