PDA

View Full Version : Ride Out to BC Input required

dharminder
02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Good Day,
I am planning on riding out to Vancouver Island this summer around June or July. I have never done anything like this usually do day trips outside of the city.

I am looking to purchase leather pants (currently ride in jeans)
Is there a brand you would recommend or one to stay away from?
Also do most pants zip into jackets or would alterations be required?
Might be a stupid question but do most of you wear jeans/pants under your riding pants/suite?

I usually take a backpack which I usually keep phone wallet clear shield(if it gets dark) Would it be to much to just put some clothes and toiletry stuff into a back pack or would I be better off with a tank/saddle bag?

Thank You for your input

03ozwhip
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
i didnt ride that far but rode to BC and around it for 4 days and it was fucking awesome.

i rode in jeans, havent gotten leathers yet. if you want to get leathers that zip into your jacket, you have to have the matching jacket that goes for the pants, not all jackets zip in.

as far as the backpack goes, i had to carry clothes and stuff and it tends to get annoying so instead spending $$ on a tank bag, i strapped my backpack to the rear seat with bungee cords, it worked awesome.

if youre not carrying alot of stuff, just use a BP normally

ninefourfour
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
I rode out to vancouver in july a couple of years back. When it was it was hot in calgary and vancouver(20-30's). I did it in one day - took about 12 hrs.

It was my first big trip on my gixxer. I left in the early morning and it got cold fast. I rode in my jeans with my leather jacket, gloves, bike boots. I didnt think it was going to get that cold but I just about turned back from banff!( golden was cold too)

I had track pants that I put on to stop the wind - that helped a lot. Also a friend suggested a turtle neck that I put on and that was a life saver as the back of my neck was freezing. Also had extra clothing for layers. The gloves and boots worked well for me. Fortunately I did not get stuck in the rain so I was good there.

Basically I would suggest to carry layers but I would recommend something not only for the cold, but for your protection.( even the damn bugs sting! Leather/textile/jeans for bikers etc.

Later we went done the coast to san fran, needed gear for that trip too. Awesome trip!

japan_us
02-04-2011, 11:01 AM
I would recommend a tank bag and/or a tail bag. If you're riding out that far, you'll likely need more than a backpack's worth. Even if you don't, you have to think about fatigue, as well as safety - landing on a backpack filled with miscellaneous objects is a good way to get hurt. (A hydration pack might be a good idea though.)

As for pants, I prefer a good pair of textiles when going on long rides. The ones I use have a removable water proof liner, and certain panels can be zipped off if it gets too warm. There's some armor in the knees and hips, and overall, they're quite versatile. I wear full boots and shorts underneath. Leather is a great option as well, provided you feel comfortable in them.

Bring a balaclava in case you're riding when the temperature dips. Gauntlets are also a good idea in this scenario since they keep wind from entering into your sleeves.

Pack rain gear.

And, yes, as mentioned above, not all jackets and pants with zippers will be compatible.

japan_us
02-04-2011, 11:01 AM
*double

Cos
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Last june I rode to seattle. Froze my ass off going over the coquilhala. Either get good gear or go around. It was snowing too.

the rest of the ride is great.

03ozwhip
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
^^^what month was that in?

revelations
02-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by japan_us
I would recommend a tank bag and/or a tail bag. If you're riding out that far, you'll likely need more than a backpack's worth. Even if you don't, you have to think about fatigue, as well as safety - landing on a backpack filled with miscellaneous objects is a good way to get hurt. (A hydration pack might be a good idea though.)

As for pants, I prefer a good pair of textiles when going on long rides. The ones I use have a removable water proof liner, and certain panels can be zipped off if it gets too warm. There's some armor in the knees and hips, and overall, they're quite versatile. I wear full boots and shorts underneath. Leather is a great option as well, provided you feel comfortable in them.

Bring a balaclava in case you're riding when the temperature dips. Gauntlets are also a good idea in this scenario since they keep wind from entering into your sleeves.

Pack rain gear.

And, yes, as mentioned above, not all jackets and pants with zippers will be compatible.

+1

You will end shooting yourself in the head if you ride for many days with a backpack on. The neck pain is FU-N.

Cos
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^^what month was that in?

June

03ozwhip
02-04-2011, 11:58 AM
lol i totally re-read your post and just realized that, sorry. but man, june even in the mountains being that cold, that sucks. +1000000 for the balaclava though, those things are a saving grace for cold weather riding and really thin so you can keep it anywhere.

bjstare
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I def wouldn't do it with only a backpack. I did a pretty long ride from Vegas to LA to Vancouver island with a backpack and I wouldn't do it again, even on shorter rides. Also, +1 for textile pants, I have some and they're awesome for long trips. They are warm when its cool, cool when its warm and always keep you dry. That and the fact that jeans wont protect you at all if you take a spill should influence your decision about buying pants.

dharminder
02-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by ninefourfour
I rode out to vancouver in july a couple of years back. When it was it was hot in calgary and vancouver(20-30's). I did it in one day - took about 12 hrs.

It was my first big trip on my gixxer. I left in the early morning and it got cold fast. I rode in my jeans with my leather jacket, gloves, bike boots. I didnt think it was going to get that cold but I just about turned back from banff!( golden was cold too)

I had track pants that I put on to stop the wind - that helped a lot. Also a friend suggested a turtle neck that I put on and that was a life saver as the back of my neck was freezing. Also had extra clothing for layers. The gloves and boots worked well for me. Fortunately I did not get stuck in the rain so I was good there.

Basically I would suggest to carry layers but I would recommend something not only for the cold, but for your protection.( even the damn bugs sting! Leather/textile/jeans for bikers etc.

Later we went done the coast to san fran, needed gear for that trip too. Awesome trip!

how rough was it to do the ride all in one day? I was thinking of splitting it up in two parts, but would rather push right threw. I figure I would need some sort of security on the bike if I were to sleep somewhere over night. I have never really left it out or out of sight for long periods of time.

dharminder
02-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
I def wouldn't do it with only a backpack. I did a pretty long ride from Vegas to LA to Vancouver island with a backpack and I wouldn't do it again, even on shorter rides. Also, +1 for textile pants, I have some and they're awesome for long trips. They are warm when its cool, cool when its warm and always keep you dry. That and the fact that jeans wont protect you at all if you take a spill should influence your decision about buying pants.

I would not dare to do a long ride like this in just jeans (mind you should not be riding in just jeans regardless)
Only reason I said leather just figured that leather would be better then textile, but sounds like alot of people have said they use textile vs leather

Zigo
02-04-2011, 01:21 PM
p

sxtasy
02-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Vancouver Island can be a long trip especially when you factor in going through Vancouver, waiting for the ferry and ferry ride. And on a sport bike, tiring. I would stay the night in Kamloops, wake up early in the morning and haul ass through the Coquahalla, catch an earlier ferry and you will have some time to settle on Vancouver Island.

bjstare
02-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I would definitely suggest two days. It's totally do-able in one, but your neck and back will be hurting. I did a 10 hour day and it took about a month for my back to get better (and I'm normally in good shape). Keep in mind, I was riding pretty agressively that whole time.

Also, there's a lot of fun riding to do on the island, great twistys to hit, so you'll want to have your body in more-or-less decent shape when you get here, otherwise you'll be too sore to enjoy any of it. Ah the joys of touring on a crotch rocket.

EDIT: And for the leather vs. textile... I would have leathers for sure if I was going to be spending time on the track... but for touring, textile is just so much more versatile and still provides decent protection.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by dharminder
Good Day,
I am planning on riding out to Vancouver Island this summer around June or July. I have never done anything like this usually do day trips outside of the city.

I am looking to purchase leather pants (currently ride in jeans)
Is there a brand you would recommend or one to stay away from?
It really comes down to preference and fit, you wont find to much difference in leathers between company's besides extras like puck sliders and other small things.
The cheapest route would be to buy kevlar reinforced jeans and wear motorcycle knee/shin guards underneath(i do this when im just riding around in the city).
I find leathers ideal for highway use but they can get a little hot and clammy in the summer months.

Also do most pants zip into jackets or would alterations be required?

If you had different brands you would most likely need to have a zipper sewn in.

Might be a stupid question but do most of you wear jeans/pants under your riding pants/suite?
I personally don't, and unless you had really thin pants you'd be hard pressed to get leathers on over top of them.(depending on types of leathers of course)

I usually take a backpack which I usually keep phone wallet clear shield(if it gets dark) Would it be to much to just put some clothes and toiletry stuff into a back pack or would I be better off with a tank/saddle bag?

Thank You for your input
When I do my BC trip I generally have a tank bag for my wallet, sunglasses, phone, Ipod
a backpack for my clear visor, a pair of pants, hoodie, socks/ underwear, and very basic toiletries. (keep it as light as possible)
Then I'll have an Expedition Hammock, sleeping bag and small towel bungie'd to my rear seat for when we camp out on the lake overnight.

If you want to make it to van in one haul I would highly suggest pulling over every hour or so and stretching (back, knees, legs, arms..etc ) It really makes the world of difference for long rides.
Bring earplugs or passive noise cancelling earbuds+ipod <- this one also helps a ton for long rides.

Cos
02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I guess it depends on what kind of bike you have. I rode a standard over 8 days 3000km with a backpack and small bag on the back.

Thread is here:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/307647/2500-km-motorcycle-west-coast/

dharminder
02-05-2011, 01:52 AM
I have a gsxr 1000.
Man I really appreciate everyones input. I hope I address everyones post, the plan is to split the ride out into two parts. I am in no rush plan on taking about 1.5 weeks off from work.
By the sounds of it textile pants might be the way to go.
Don't really wanna push it so every hour/hour & half to pull over for a nicotine break it.

Sorry another question but I have left one bike outside out of sight (dt at work) and it was stolen. If I can try to stay with friends or family in kamlopps great but if not a motel. Should I factor in some sort or security measure?

Just throwing it out there if anyone has a tank bag they would lend me(I can leave cash or something) bag comes back in same shape I get my cash back but say $20 to rent the bag/bags? Please fire me a pm maybe we could work something out.

bjstare
02-05-2011, 02:35 AM
When I was riding through the states with my cousin, every night when we stayed in a motel, we specified that we wanted a ground floor room; just pulled the bikes right into the room before bed. Ain't gonna get stolen if you do that.:)

Cos
02-05-2011, 10:45 AM
I had secured parking in Seattle and Vancouver. Everywhere else it lived outside near the front door of my motel.

If they want it bad enough they will take it no matter what. I just parked it in secure parking in an awkward position.

ninefourfour
02-05-2011, 01:07 PM
The one day trip wasnt too bad. I had my music going as I rode down which helped a lot

I took quick breaks at the gas stops to stretch out. I must have looked like a fool on the bike because at times, I would standup to stretch on it as I rode - lol.

I had a good break out in golden as I was freezing by then. Then my cousin ripped up from vancouver to kamloops to meet me and we had lunch there. He's was going nuts on the coq highway so the second leg was a quick one.

You can push it and be done under 12 hrs easy depending if you take long breaks or not.

I have a gsxr 750 and I really dont ride it much at all. This being my first long run the only issue I had was the my hands got numb for a week! Wrists were sore too. But that may be that I was holding on too tight as I was a rookie on the bike.

Zigo
02-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Rain gear is VERY VERY important! On my trip it rained cats and dogs for like 2 days. We took tents and just did a motorized broke back mountain. God I think I remember we had to make it to our next spot before nightfall so we could take no breaks!

We got a little past the icefields and it started to rain like I'v never seen it. I pretty much made myself into a little ball and carried on.

Then on our second last 2 days in Pintiction it was +34 with clear blue skys! Made the trip totally worth it.

Then when I got back into Calgary it pissed rain on me too.. Then the car put me in the shoulder...
Then I went for a costly $2K slide..
:cry:

OH! Also remember when its raining out the white lines are almost like ice! Try your best to avoid braking on them.

Zigo
02-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Ah shit! I always like showing pictures of my trip. Was easily one of the best times of my life.

This was taken right before at the Ice Fields (getting ready to piss rain). Was cold as shit and a long ass walk to the actual ice fields; it was cool for all of 5 seconds.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1689/40270485640423017734433.jpg

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/5012/44751485640588017734433.jpg
I forgot what town this was.. I know it was the next town off from blue river.
Had to do so much mud bogging to get to our spot. (Still had to pay 30 bucks for using their land) They had showers and everything though which was somewhat nice. We def did a no homo broke back mountain. In our very last day our backs could not take it anymore so we stayed in a Hotel... With a big ass pool and waterslide.. Only people using it to hahah! The girl that book us into our rooms was a total hottie too. Omg I fell in love with her when she kicked us out from the pool. :poosie:

Parked the bikes out front and I never really worried about anyone stealing them.

If your doing it the camping way; go out to Atmosphere or something and buy a really warm "Mummy" type of sleeping bag. The one I got is rated for -20 or so and packs down to the size of a rolled up pair of jeans.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/347/44597485641138017734433.jpg

Kootenay Lake ferry, me and my friend had the only sportbikes in like the whole area. The twisties are AMAZING right after you get off the ferry. We got off first so we had to pass no cars or anything! This is where I also we zipped by a police officer doing a "Tad" bit more of the speed limit ;) He didn't even flinch or anything, just kept on going.. Thank God! :clap:

Only thing I would change is getting saddle bags/ tank bags. Carrying everything in my big ass backpack really sucked.

J.D.
09-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i didnt ride that far but rode to BC and around it for 4 days and it was fucking awesome.

i rode in jeans, havent gotten leathers yet. if you want to get leathers that zip into your jacket, you have to have the matching jacket that goes for the pants, not all jackets zip in.

as far as the backpack goes, i had to carry clothes and stuff and it tends to get annoying so instead spending $$ on a tank bag, i strapped my backpack to the rear seat with bungee cords, it worked awesome.

if youre not carrying alot of stuff, just use a BP normally

Yes one of the best trips ever,

Junior ur gonna drive us round in ur cart!

03ozwhip
09-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by J.D.

Yes one of the best trips ever,

Junior ur gonna drive us round in ur cart!

hahaha that was awesome lol that kid will never be the same!