PDA

View Full Version : RCMP Throws Teen Into Safety Before Getting Hit by Truck

Zephyr
02-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Always nice to see an actual good cop in the spotlight.

Truck hits 'hero' Mountie after he throws B.C. teen to safety

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. — A 15-year-old Abbotsford girl is thanking an RCMP constable who risked his life when he threw her out of the path of a runaway truck.

Const. Jim Moir, 45, described by a friend as a "giant of a man with a great bear of a heart," suffered a crushed leg when he was pinned between two trucks while saving Buffy-Anne Troy on Thursday.

"I feel amazed that he would do that," Buffy-Anne said. "He's a real hero because if it wasn't for him, I would be seriously injured or dead. I'm so grateful."

The Troys were returning from a funeral in Kamloops, B.C., when their vehicle slid off the road in freezing rain.

Moir was talking to Buffy-Anne by the side of the road when a sanding truck and another truck lost control and came towards them.

"Everything happened so fast," said Buffy-Anne. "They were coming towards us and I didn't know what to do."

The sanding truck pushed the other truck into the Troy family's crashed pickup.

"It was coming directly to us," she said. "I felt hands pushing me away and I was stumbling and fell down into the ditch."

When she got up she couldn't see Moir.

"My mom was shouting that the police officer was pinned between the two trucks," she said. "Everyone started helping and they got him free in 10 minutes."

Buffy-Anne was shaken but not hurt.

Her father, Victor, praised the hero Mountie.

"He's a very brave man because he pushed her away and took the hit," he said. "We are thankful that he was there at the right moment."

He said the family wants to thank Moir in person when he is feeling better.

"This was obviously a split-second decision where the constable realized what was happening, and his first thought was to do whatever was necessary to protect this girl," said RCMP spokesman Sgt. Peter Thiessen. "He clearly put her safety ahead of his own."

Moir, working with Fraser Valley Traffic Services, has served 18 years with the RCMP.

He's expected to be off work for a couple of months

"The constable saw the truck coming at them, and with no time to move, picked up the girl and threw her to safety," added Thiessen.

Moir is about six-foot-six inches tall and weighs more 112 kg, friend Shaun Kevilovski said.

"He's a giant of a man with a great bear of a heart," he said. "I was not surprised to hear he had done something like that."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Truck+hits+hero+Mountie+after+throws+teen+safety/4219640/story.html#ixzz1D0i5gATi

Kloubek
02-04-2011, 11:18 AM
To serve and protect. He took his responsibilities to heart - good for him. Hope he gets better soon!

SilverGS
02-04-2011, 11:21 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

DonJuan
02-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Nice to see cops still protect the community. Although I've found RCMP are usually better than city cops. He deserves a medal for sure.

JAYMEZ
02-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Goood for him :thumbsup:

spikerS
02-04-2011, 11:38 AM
wait, you mean that this isn't the norm for police officers? You read on Beyond that they are all corrupt pieces of shit.

on a serious note, Kudos to all police officers every where for doing their job every day. not just because the make the news.

mucat
02-04-2011, 12:27 PM
The thing is we cannot generalize all cops are bad and by the same token, not all cops are good.

This is an example of an exceptional human being who happens to be a cop.

desi112
02-04-2011, 12:33 PM
man that is just awesome!

BokCh0y
02-04-2011, 12:50 PM
:thumbsup: to a good cop.

On another note, who the hell names their kid Buffy-Anne?

But am glad everyone is ok.

KRyn
02-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Wow that guy is a true hero and an exceptional human being.
:thumbsup:
I hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

Kennyredline
02-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by spikers
wait, you mean that this isn't the norm for police officers? You read on Beyond that they are all corrupt pieces of shit.

....and when this officer has duty sitting in a patrol car monitoring a speed gun, he will be drawn as a corrupt piece of shit; funny how that works.

DayGlow
02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Strange how the CBC website hasn't picked this story up. I guess it would go against their effort in railroading the RCMP of late.

shakalaka
02-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Great story. Good job to the cop.:thumbsup:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-04-2011, 02:45 PM

403Gemini
02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
Strange how the CBC website hasn't picked this story up. I guess it would go against their effort in railroading the RCMP of late.

:rofl:

So true!

Buffalo Soldier
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Buffalo Soldier
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM

CMW403
02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
pfft, come on guys are you serious?

This girls 15. Only reason the guy saved her life is so that he can ticket her when she gets her drivers license next year.

I can't believe you guys actually thought a police officer would do something nice for a change.:facepalm:

Gainsbarre
02-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow

Cbc.ca reported this yesterday, likely before The Province did...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/02/03/bc-hero-mountie-rcmp-girl-yale.html

Modelexis
02-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Very nice story!

DayGlow
02-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Cbc.ca reported this yesterday, likely before The Province did...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/02/03/bc-hero-mountie-rcmp-girl-yale.html

My apologies to the CBC. I scanned the BC news page and couldn't find it

JustGo
02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm sure he actually meant to throw her INTO traffic, but he slipped and she went the wrong way. Damn corrupt cops. :rolleyes: