PDA

View Full Version : Feb 4, 2011 - CTrain Accident

kenny
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
No trains running downtown due to yet another accident (Center St. station). Some guy was pinned under the train, not sure if he survived. Just in time for the evening rush hour!

Shuttle buses running on 6th and 9th ave. See this link for any new updates:

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/ctrain_alert_20110204.html

l/l/rX
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM
haha beat me to it by a couple min.

Fuck this suuuuuuucks. Car vs Train or person vs train?

bituerbo
02-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Well there goes my evening.

frinkprof
02-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Downtown CTrain delays due to accident. Please use shuttles (Rte 551) on 6 & 9 Ave. Unknown how long delay will be. #yyc #yyctransitAs per Calgary Transit twitter.

I heard pedestrian vs. train and probable fatality.

l/l/rX
02-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by frinkprof
As per Calgary Transit twitter.

I heard pedestrian vs. train and probable fatality.

Idiot. How the eff you get hit by the train? And that intersection has the count down timer on the lights.

Soo I'm bus illiterate...Rte 551 will take me to the nw somewhere? Rte 551 isn't listed on the CT website!!!

frinkprof
02-04-2011, 05:02 PM
More news:

He was pinned under the train and fire crews used lifts to raise the train and pull him out.
He's been rushed to hospital with serious injuries.http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110204/CGY_LRT_crash_110204/20110204?hub=CalgaryHome

kenny
02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Route 551 basically replaces the downtown trains. They'll ferry passengers to Stampede Station (SW), Bridgeland station (NE) and 8th street station (NW).

Those stations are the turn around stations while 7th ave is closed.

l/l/rX
02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Wait... 7th ave is closed between Macleod and Center. Why can't they have trains from the NW come DT still to like TD and just reverse back up to the NW? Why do we have to take shuttle buses?

frinkprof
02-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

Idiot. How the eff you get hit by the train? And that intersection has the count down timer on the lights.

Soo I'm bus illiterate...Rte 551 will take me to the nw somewhere? Rte 551 isn't listed on the CT website!!! 551 is the route number that is used when C-Train service is down. You can catch it on 6th Avenue westbound, or 9th Avenue eastbound. It will take you to the closest stop on each of the lines that hasn't been shut down. I believe if you are heading Northwest it will take you to either 8th Street West or Sunnyside Station.

l/l/rX
02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
551 is the route number that is used when C-Train service is down. You can catch it on 6th Avenue westbound, or 9th Avenue eastbound. It will take you to the closest stop on each of the lines that hasn't been shut down. I believe if you are heading Northwest it will take you to either 8th Street West or Sunnyside Station.

Alright thanks for that. Now I've never been DT while there's been an accident. Are there enough shuttle buses to shuttle the usual c-train people out or will I be waiting quite a while to catch a bus?

Dehvee
02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
If you're going southbound you can walk to Victoria station and take the train on the northbound side.

frinkprof
02-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

Alright thanks for that. Now I've never been DT while there's been an accident. Are there enough shuttle buses to shuttle the usual c-train people out or will I be waiting quite a while to catch a bus? It's usually pretty hectic. Honestly, unless 8th Street West Station is a very long walk away I would just try that on a nice day like today.

l/l/rX
02-04-2011, 05:19 PM
It's usually pretty hectic. Honestly, unless 8th Street West Station is a very long walk away I would just try that on a nice day like today.

oh Fuck yes, 8th st station is still open, right outside my work. Excellent :clap: :rofl: My bad, I thought Kenny's post meant shuttle buses will pick people up at 8th st station to get them to sunnyside station.

phillywu
02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
^^^^
should prob leave early though, 3-4 or however many stations are going NW all on the 8th street, with no incoming trains only what is coming from dalhouse - gonna be packed.

for those heading nw - you can take the 10 up to brentwood and dalhousie however whether the 10 will be on time or even more delayed than usual is up in the air

Alterac
02-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Update 4:32pm:
7 Avenue CTrain service will be restored shortly. Shuttle buses will continue to operate over the next 1/2 hour. Delays are expected while CTrains resume regular schedule.

whiskas
02-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Build a fucking tunnel under downtown already.

frinkprof
02-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Build a fucking tunnel under downtown already. Operation of the northeast and west lines on 7th Avenue will remain after the 8th Avenue Subway is built.

Xtrema
02-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Update 4:32pm:
7 Avenue CTrain service will be restored shortly. Shuttle buses will continue to operate over the next 1/2 hour. Delays are expected while CTrains resume regular schedule.

People without smartphone would be pretty clueless...... hahaha. How are the roads, no impact?

J-hop
02-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Build a fucking tunnel under downtown already.

there already is one, the project was however abandoned due to cost because if it isn't already obvious the downtown core is on a flood plain!

frinkprof
02-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

there already is one There's the shell of about half of one station, and that's it.

J-hop
02-04-2011, 06:14 PM
There's the shell of about half of one station, and that's it.

not true, my GF's brother has been down into them with city planners

frinkprof
02-04-2011, 06:17 PM

not true, my GF's brother has been down into them with city planners The only tunnel that is not currently used by the LRT, that is built for being used by it is the partial station under City Hall.

Some people access it from time to time, and if the person you know accessed any downtown LRT tunnels, it would be this one.

J-hop
02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
yea that was the one I believe, I was unsure on how big it was as he didn't tell me much about it or why they were down there. However it is clear that it will be too costly to ever go through with the project.

whiskas
02-04-2011, 07:35 PM

there already is one, the project was however abandoned due to cost because if it isn't already obvious the downtown core is on a flood plain!

And yet building a parkade 6 storeys deep underground remains feasible.

Oh that's right, each spot provides $20 of revenue a day :D

Jay911
02-04-2011, 07:40 PM

not true, my GF's brother has been down into them with city planners

Is true, I've been down there. :D

Graham_A_M
02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
^ wow, how? Pm me if you want :)

Guillermo
02-04-2011, 08:21 PM
i saw a bit on the news where bronco was walking in the tunnel. from what i could tell, it was pretty long. i had the understanding that the tunnel stretched throughout the core. finkprof, are you saying that there isn't a tunnel? just the area near city hall? :dunno:

Jay911
02-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ wow, how? Pm me if you want :)

About 10 years ago, due to my being in the fire service, I got to "ride along" with the fire department's confined space rescue team, who was using it for training.

From what I remember, it was easily wide enough for one train each way, and probably two side-by-side in each direction. I haven't been down there in ages, nor on the train aboveground in the area, but when you are heading into the city from Vic Park/Stampede, if you look off to the left while in the tunnel, you'll see a spur that branches off to the left (west) and terminates in a huge wall a hundred or so feet away. Behind that wall is the underground cavern (if I'm estimating properly).

bourge73
02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
^^ sounds like a good venue for the Beyond Band to play?

frinkprof
02-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
i saw a bit on the news where bronco was walking in the tunnel. from what i could tell, it was pretty long. i had the understanding that the tunnel stretched throughout the core. finkprof, are you saying that there isn't a tunnel? just the area near city hall? :dunno: Well if you call what is under City Hall a tunnel, then it's both. It does not currently go any further than that.

What currently exists is basically everything in this diagram east of MacLeod Trail.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4483/picture3gp6.png

Here is a Global News story on the infrastructure under City Hall from a couple years ago.

V7YBZvhVwgk

J-D
02-04-2011, 10:13 PM
It's also blocked off for those who are ballsy enough to run in the train tunnel to try and enter it :p

Jay911
02-04-2011, 10:28 PM
That's exactly the area I was talking about. AFAIK, the caged ladder you see is currently the only access, and if the city is smart, its entry point is locked and unsigned, as it was when I was there.

Building it under 8th Avenue will cost godzillions of dollars. If they do an open dig like they are with the west leg, or did with Glenmore through the Chinook area, imagine the disruption above ground that will cause. If they use a tunnel boring machine, it will be super-expensive and may still disrupt above-ground business.

Tik-Tok
02-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Anyone else think it's retarded that they don't just build that into a C-Train service station, instead of building that one up in the NE?

frinkprof
02-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Anyone else think it's retarded that they don't just build that into a C-Train service station, instead of building that one up in the NE? You mean a storage and maintenance facility? That tunnel is still planned to be used for revenue operations, likely does not have the services (water, electrical, etc.) needed to perform storage and maintenance, and isn't nearly big enough.

The Oliver Bowen Maintenance Facility (new one in the northeast), even though it is brand new, needs to be expanded pretty soon if more LRVs are ordered for future line extensions and/or four-car train operation.

kaput
02-04-2011, 11:06 PM

snoop101
02-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Since you guys spent hours talking about putting the Ctrain underground so people do get hit, lets all read the update.

A man pinned underneath a C-Train car and taken to hospital in life-threatening condition was released hours later after receiving stitches to his head.

"At least one peace officer tried to assist the man, who appeared to be intoxicated," said Calgary transit spokesman Ron Collins. "But it was too late and he fell between two cars."

Have we actually had a Ctrain incident that was a total 100% accident, because everyone I seen has been because of stupid people.

LollerBrader
02-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by kenny
No trains running downtown due to yet another accident (Center St. station). Some guy was pinned under the train, not sure if he survived. Just in time for the evening rush hour!

Shuttle buses running on 6th and 9th ave. See this link for any new updates:

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/ctrain_alert_20110204.html

Was the train ok?

LollerBrader
02-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by snoop101
Since you guys spent hours talking about putting the Ctrain underground so people do get hit, lets all read the update.

"Put people underground, not trains".

snoop101
02-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by LollerBrader

"Put people underground, not trains".

Woops typo.. lol.. you know what I mean

J-hop
02-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by snoop101

Have we actually had a Ctrain incident that was a total 100% accident, because everyone I seen has been because of stupid people.

good point, i can't count the number of times I've seen people step out after getting off at a station and try to beat the train to get across to the other side. I want to slap these individuals for being so dumb as to think a train should give right of way to them. In boating the more maneuverable boats are required to give way to the less maneuverable. If you are in a speed boat and get run over by a ferry or a tanker ship then you deserve to die. Same shit with a C-train.

Redlyne_mr2
02-05-2011, 01:54 AM
Guns don't kill people, Ctrains do.

sneek
02-05-2011, 02:14 AM
Props to Calgary Transit for getting service back so quickly though. I've never been a fan of how bus service runs in Calgary but the C-Train seems to be very effective for a majority of Calgarians (and how spread out we all are)

frinkprof
02-05-2011, 10:16 AM
The guy ended up living.

Middle-aged man escapes C-Train collision with stitches

By Stephane Massinon And Jason Markusoff

Calgary Herald February 5, 2011 8:14 AM

A man pinned underneath a C-Train car and taken to hospital in life-threatening condition was released hours later after receiving stitches to his head.

The pedestrian was seen running on 7th Avenue around 3 p.m. Friday near the Centre Street and Olympic Plaza platforms.

"At least one peace officer tried to assist the man, who appeared to be intoxicated," said Calgary Transit spokesman Ron Collins. "But it was too late and he fell between two cars."

Police confirmed alcohol was a factor in the incident, which snarled traffic and halted train service downtown for several hours.

The pedestrian was trapped under the train's middle car, said fire department spokesman Brian McAsey.

Fire crews used pneumatic lift bags to raise the train car a few inches.

[...]

Link to rest of the article (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Middle+aged+escapes+Train+collision+with+stitches/4228908/story.html)

clem24
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
What is it with drunk people and surviving accidents?

Tik-Tok
02-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by clem24
What is it with drunk people and surviving accidents?

Studies have shown that more drunk people survive (any kind of major impact accident), because their limbs are looser than a sober person. When we're sober, we tighten every muscle on instinct, which apparently makes the damage much worse. A drunk will just go flying, limbs flaying.