PDA

View Full Version : A tribute to Craig Conroy

TeaHatingBrit
02-04-2011, 09:44 PM
A tribute to Craig Conroy; his career on and off the ice:

http://nhlhotstove.com/local-hero-craig-conroy-announces-his-nhl-retirement/

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting of Craig Conroy and have nothing but amazing things to say about him. He took the time and effort to talk to me about medicine, family and life. He willingly reached out to a fan and didn’t think twice about it. It is often hard to find an athlete who truly cares about his fans and supporters, but Craig Conroy is one of those guys. Always willing to help in the community, sign autographs and go out of his way to meet fans – it is no wonder that Conroy is one of the most popular guys in town.

I want to hear your favorite Craig Conroy moment/story !

heinz256
02-04-2011, 09:55 PM
RyuIn3zpJSY

Thanks for the memories Connie

Mamma_Mia
02-04-2011, 10:05 PM
My favorite memory of Craig Conroy took place right after the 03-04 cup run. There was a Flames rally in Olympic Plaza where the Flames were White hatted. Afterwards we walked over to the SaddleDome to get some autographs. Craig was there, and although he was very humble and shy, he stopped to sign our jerseys. He saw a kid in a wheelchair, signed his white hat, and gave it to him!!! The kid was SO happy!! He is a truly a great guy, and I wish him all the best in his new endeavors. :)

Benny
02-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Never met the guy personally but he always seemed like a really good dude.

Favorite memory: When we got him back from LA and he went and ripped them for 2 goals in his first game back as a Flame. That was so dope!

:bigpimp:

nrt_vw
02-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Got his and bob boughners autographs at a minor hockey practice of mine back in 2001

JordanLotoski
02-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Awesome guy on and off the ice.

TeaHatingBrit
02-05-2011, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by heinz256
RyuIn3zpJSY

Thanks for the memories Connie

Yes ! Such a classic interview... Essentially defines the meaning of shock.

Benny - Also a big moment for me. When the crowd was chanting 'Connie' at the Dome, sent shivers down my spine.

D'z Nutz
02-05-2011, 03:46 AM
Here's an interview with Connie on Fan960 after the season last year. It's like 90 minutes long, but a good listen. How could you not want this guy in the organization?

http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20100505_202325_5360

Now that he's officially retired as a Flame, I'm getting his name put on my jersey tomorrow. :goflames: :goflames: :goflames:

TeaHatingBrit
02-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Here's an interview with Connie on Fan960 after the season last year. It's like 90 minutes long, but a good listen. How could you not want this guy in the organization?

http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20100505_202325_5360

Now that he's officially retired as a Flame, I'm getting his name put on my jersey tomorrow. :goflames: :goflames: :goflames:

Nice! I am hoping the fans at the Dome tonight start a 'Connie' chant.

C_Dave45
02-05-2011, 11:26 AM
One of the classiest players in the game.

BokCh0y
02-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

:werd:

Also has a hot wife.:bigpimp:

TeaHatingBrit
02-05-2011, 02:18 PM

True, and well demonstrated in his letter to the fans:

http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/myflames/2011/02/05/17165201.html

Freeskier
02-05-2011, 03:45 PM

+1. Sad to see him go, but happy he`s staying in the organization.

95teetee
02-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Mamma_Mia
My favorite memory of Craig Conroy took place right after the 03-04 cup run. my favorite memory of him also involves the '04 run. The Flames got back into town (I think it was from San Jose) and Connie heard that The Fan 960's 'Overtime' was still going. He called the show and talked for probably an hour (this was well after midnight) because he was having so much fun.

And he has a hot wife:D

edit- just thought of another one. Last season, when he fought one of the Oilers (Gagne?).
the story on 960 went something like this: "I asked Connie why he would fight someone when you have a two goal lead, and all the momentum. Why fight someone and give them the chance to get some of the mo' back? And he says 'well, the kid was out there, asking everyone to go. He's saying he needs to fight to show the coaches he's trying out there. I remember what it's like being a kid out there trying to prove yourself. So I told him I'd fight him.'
And the announcer says "Connie's such a nice guy that he'll fight an opponent to help him out':rofl:

Benny
02-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Got a full-dome standing ovation at the game tonight. Totally deserved it too.

:goflames: