PDA

View Full Version : Police running red lights?

snoop101
02-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Im sure this has been asked in the past, but do Police need to have their sirens on to run a red light?

Reason I ask is because I just about hit a cop today. I was driving in the right lane going straight, as there was someone turning in the left lane. I could not see the cop until I passed the car to the left of me and had to slam on the breaks. It was then that the cop finally hit his quick chirping siren. Still no actual siren though. I shook my head at the cop.

I have need under the impression that any time a emergency vehicle needs to run a red light that they have their sirens on. Maybe I am wrong and it was just a total fluke that the cop happened to be there.

CUG
02-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Was the light bar on?

AE92_TreunoSC
02-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Even if it wasn't the officer will always claim it was.

Do we have dash cams that only record when the bars are on? or as long as the car is on patrol?

Isaiah
02-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Cops ARE the law don't you know? They make the rules.

Do a search and you'll quickly learn that every time they do that they are on their way to save someone's life, or are sneaking up on bank robbers and don't want to alert them. They're never just inpatient assholes.

snoop101
02-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Ya the light bar was on.
I think the fact was that he was coming from the left on the other side of the car turning left from my side. I did not see him until he was in the intersection. We were both going slow enough that we could both stop. If I was some old folk who has less reaction time im sure it was have been an accident. When ever I see a ambulance go through a red light they always have the sirens going and the horns blasting.

Going through a green light you don't think to make sure no ones running a light or not. Having sirens going alerts you to look and slow down.

Obviously not a huge deal, but thought it was odd.

ryder_23
02-05-2011, 05:28 PM
EMS/Fire need to use sirens to run reds, CPS does not IIRC

snoop101
02-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
EMS/Fire need to use sirens to run reds, CPS does not IIRC

Wow I never knew that. Is that a Provincial law? I came from BC and im pretty sure that RMPC need to do it. I never seen one that didn't.

ryder_23
02-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure on that, I mean if its a busy intersection they def should, but if no one is around I don't see the need.

revelations
02-05-2011, 05:43 PM
A Code 3 response (in the RCMP world) means lights and sirens.

If youre approaching a scene where you dont want to be heard 3 blocks away (eg. break in progress) many members will cut their siren and go lights only.

Its always a risk, most members are able to realize that the general public is blind and will not see them crossing a busy intersection and assume they will not stop. However not all members consider this *** especially if an officer is in trouble*** and just go full tilt to the scene.

Freeskier
02-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Cops in Vic do it all the time. Come up to a light, flick their lights on to run the red then turn them off again after they go through. Saw it last night actually. I've heard there is a reason, but I don't know if thats true.

snoop101
02-05-2011, 06:04 PM
This was at 2:30pm at the intersection of Heritage and Bonaventure Dr SE. That area is pretty busy at that time. He was coming from Macleod.

Ya I seen a lot do it at night when barely anyone is around and its really obvious that the cop is there and lights at night really stand out.

vengie
02-05-2011, 06:12 PM
The worst I have seen was an officer with full lights/ sirens come blazing past, everyone pulled out of the way (red light) and he proceeded through the red light and turned right into the tim hortons...

CUG
02-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by vengie
The worst I have seen was an officer with full lights/ sirens come blazing past, everyone pulled out of the way (red light) and he proceeded through the red light and turned right into the tim hortons... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BlackArcher101
02-05-2011, 06:47 PM
The worst I have seen was an officer with full lights/ sirens come blazing past, everyone pulled out of the way (red light) and he proceeded through the red light and turned right into the tim hortons...

It's amazing how many people supposedly see this happen.

lellowrx7
02-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

It's amazing how many people supposedly see this happen.

maybe they do it cause they thinks its just funny now :dunno:
ive seen it and then they join the 4 other copcars in the parking lot
camp out front timmies on 17th

xxviet
02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
go and set up a camera by marlb mall, do u know how many cops run a red to get to the tim hortans??

revelations
02-05-2011, 07:11 PM

I saw this happen in Richmond BC once with the RCMP.

A few occurrences like this are grounds for dismissal because the biggest worry in the internal workings of the RCMP has ALWAYS been good PR.

If blatant bad PR is repeatedly brought upon the RCMP by a member, they will be dismissed.

Dont ask me why some of the YVR Dzekanski-event members are still employed though :dunno:

Modelexis
02-05-2011, 08:30 PM
You should write up a complaint and give it to your local police station to look into...

:D

snoop101
02-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
You should write up a complaint and give it to your local police station to look into...

:D

I think I would need the number on the back of the vehicle to complain. Plus isn't our Police here in Calgary corrupt enough that it would be thrown in the garbage after I left? Not saying its that bad, but I have heard enough stories.

Modelexis
02-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Even if you had a video of the car with the number in plain view and going through the light, you would AT MOST get the supervisor to tell the officer to please be more careful when he make it obvious that he is above the law.

The supervisor is not concerned that his men are breaking the law, it's that the public is starting to realize that police are not subject to laws.
They are worried about looking bad in the public's eyes, not that they are actually doing something wrong.

revelations
02-06-2011, 01:03 AM
The supervisor is not concerned that his men are breaking the law, it's that the public is starting to realize that police are not subject to laws.
They are worried about looking bad in the public's eyes, not that they are actually doing something wrong.

Not subject to laws? Do you have any idea how many veteran cops have criminal records because of their line of work? (its usually something like common assault)

Modelexis
02-06-2011, 01:36 AM
^ Occasionally you have to charge police officers in order to give the illusion that they are subject to normal laws and don't have a network of self interested protection.

When they get caught and it gets into the media they have to charge the officer to retain the illusion that they are not able to break laws.

95EagleAWD
02-06-2011, 03:28 AM
Police don't have to have lights/sirens active to run a red light. They, as when they do have lights/siren on, simply have to do it safely.

95EagleAWD
02-06-2011, 03:30 AM

So?

Responding to a call that was canceled maybe? Then figured, shit since I'm suddenly not busy I'll grab a coffee?

Who gives a shit? Does it affect your day? No? Then move along...

Cos
02-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by snoop101

Police here in Calgary corrupt.

:rofl: Sorry this isnt africa.

DayGlow
02-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Don't worry we've already strong-armed Rage2 and his ISP for his identity. Soon he'll learn the meaning of corrupt.

DayGlow
02-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Even if you had a video of the car with the number in plain view and going through the light, you would AT MOST get the supervisor to tell the officer to please be more careful when he make it obvious that he is above the law.

We'll also grab your plate as you leave and flag it on the system so you get constantly harassed as you drive.

sr20s14zenki
02-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow

We'll also grab your plate as you leave and flag it on the system so you get constantly harassed as you drive. :rofl:

95EagleAWD
02-06-2011, 01:18 PM

We'll also grab your plate as you leave and flag it on the system so you get constantly harassed as you drive.

:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

snoop101
02-07-2011, 12:14 AM
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101003/CGY_serious_crash_101003/20101003/?hub=CalgaryHome

Hmm So I wonder what happens in this case.

revelations
02-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by snoop101
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101003/CGY_serious_crash_101003/20101003/?hub=CalgaryHome

Hmm So I wonder what happens in this case.

Someone is one step closer to a desk job.

xxviet
02-07-2011, 12:25 AM
"The CPS Traffic Unit is now investigating to determine which police cruiser had the right of way. "

:rofl:

Xtrema
02-07-2011, 12:26 AM
I always thought cops have the choice on sirens because they may not want to alert whoever they are responding to.

snoop101
02-07-2011, 12:30 AM
I dunno I guess I find it odd that the police in the most part is made to keep the public safe and make sure everyone is obeying the law. Having those people go against their own theories makes no sense. Sure they maybe no law against it, but do we really need to have a written law for people to use their own brain to realize that what they are doing could harm someone. We have a lot of laws in Canada that are so old and set in stone and really don't have that much of a relevance anymore, yet laws that should be in effect get ignored.

Not saying that the cop was 100% wrong and he should be fired or anything like that cause he was going slow, but IMO he should have taken that one step further to make sure safety comes first. I have never been in a police car, but im sure the siren is only one little button to press. If the ambulance can wake me up at night come to save a senior in the condos next me on a dead end road, then im sure a police officer can put his siren on to cross a very busy intersection with many blind spots in the middle of the day.

dexlargo
02-07-2011, 09:32 AM
There was an EMS member who posted on this topic before, and as I recall, he indicated that for any emergency vehicle, they can proceed through red lights/break traffic laws as necessary, however when they do so, they are under an obligation to ensure that they are doing so in safety. So, when they approach the intersection they'll usually slow down and make sure that everyone else has stopped, then proceed through the red. Otherwise, they'd be responsible for any accident, even if their lights and sirens are on. Likely, it's the same for the police.

That said, it doesn't give people a license to just ignore police/fire/ems - if you get into an accident when you had the right of way, but were driving carelessly - not paying attention, etc. and the emergency vehicle took all reasonable precautions, then you could be at fault and get a ticket for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle - so long as it had its emergency equipment (lights and/or siren) active.

mikey_mo_love
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
From Alberta's Traffic Safety Act, Use of Highway and Use of the Road Regulation....

Police vehicles operating without siren:
64(1) Where, considering the circumstances, it is reasonable and safe to do so, a peace officer driving a motor vehicle may, in carrying out the peace officer’s duties, do one or more of the following while not operating a siren:

(a) drive the motor vehicle in excess of the speed limit;
(b) proceed past a traffic control signal indicating stop or a stop sign without stopping;
(c) contravene any other provision that is prescribed by the Act, this or other regulations or a municipal bylaw governing the use of the highways.

(2) Where, considering the circumstances, it is reasonable and safe, a peace officer may, in carrying out the peace officer’s duties, park a motor vehicle, while not operating any flashing lights or siren, contrary to any provision that is prescribed by the Act, this or other regulations or a municipal bylaw governing the parking of motor vehicles.

vengie
02-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

So?

Responding to a call that was canceled maybe? Then figured, shit since I'm suddenly not busy I'll grab a coffee?

Who gives a shit? Does it affect your day? No? Then move along...

I was simply sharing a story... You mad broski?

The call was cancelled jussttt as he passed through the light and proceeded towards the Tim Hortons (~100yds down the road) and did not turn his lights off until he was pulling in... quite coincidental eh?

And given the extremely reactive and poor drivers in this city, yes it does affect my day! I don't enjoy having someone come within inches of my vehicle just so Captain America can get his timbit fix.

DayGlow
02-07-2011, 07:28 PM

I was simply sharing a story... You mad broski?

The call was cancelled jussttt as he passed through the light and proceeded towards the Tim Hortons (~100yds down the road) and did not turn his lights off until he was pulling in... quite coincidental eh?

And given the extremely reactive and poor drivers in this city, yes it does affect my day! I don't enjoy having someone come within inches of my vehicle just so Captain America can get his timbit fix.

I'm sorry but I'm calling bullshit on someone going lights and siren to the door of Tims for coffee. If it did happen 10 to 1 it's because there was an emergency there that he was responding to. Crime happens at coffee shops too you know.

vengie
02-07-2011, 07:38 PM

I'm sorry but I'm calling bullshit on someone going lights and siren to the door of Tims for coffee. If it did happen 10 to 1 it's because there was an emergency there that he was responding to. Crime happens at coffee shops too you know.

Sirens through the red light, lights off as he was turning in.

DayGlow
02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Well shit, definitely a coffee run then :facepalm:

max_boost
02-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Just for fun. :D

calgary403
02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Someone is one step closer to a desk job.

Maybe it was that officer with three DUI'S. Speeding to the bar.

:rofl: :rofl:

Modelexis
02-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I saw a cop with his lights on driving around in traffic, cars pulling over to let him by... finally another car that stopped beside him at the light had to tell him his lights were on.

It just so happened that I was going the same way, and he turned off at tim hortons.

Classic.