PDA

View Full Version : Where can you get IQ professionally tested?

Mar
02-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Would this be something done at the university or should I seek an outside source? Any generic psychologist?

ReasonOne
02-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Any reason why you would want to get one done?

The I.Q. test must be administered by a registered psychologist under the Health Professions Act who adheres to the College of Alberta Psychologists.

If you are a student, ask the department of Psychology at the University. Sometimes studies are done and you can get one done for free. If you do find a licensed psychologist to do it outside an academic setting you'll probably be paying a couple hundred dollars to get it done.

I was tested as a child and scored quite highly. They tend to be culturally biased anyway so I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Mar
02-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Got bored tonight and wandered onto the MENSA website. I can apply by taking their Edmonton test in May or I can provide a professional IQ test with results over 130 for acceptance. :dunno: Pass or fail who knows, just thought it would be fun to apply. I did the application test for Jeopardy and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, figured I'd try this too. :)

max_boost
02-05-2011, 11:56 PM
I hope they don't test simple math lol but good luck.

jaysas_63
02-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I hope they don't test simple math lol but good luck.

i took mine a while ago when i was a kid, but from what i remember there was some basic arithmetic, memory exercises, pattern recognition, spatial reasoning, and questions that test common knowledge.

pretty irrelevant test IMO.

Mibz
02-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Mensa's a waste of money. You're paying $90 a year for a card that tells others you were smart as a kid. And if you're ever in a situation where you show it, you're a fucking douchebag.

That said, I joined shortly after I graduated simply to put it on my resume. Ended up not needing it so now I'm letting my membership expire :P

Mar
02-18-2011, 06:43 PM
For anyone interested, the quote I got locally was $577.50 to get this done. No thanks, I'll pass. I think agreeing to pay that would be grounds for an automatic fail.

shakalaka
02-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Wise decision lol

R-Audi
02-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

That said, I joined shortly after I graduated simply to put it on my resume. Ended up not needing it so now I'm letting my membership expire :P

Ha! I did the exact same thing, but mine expired quite a few years ago. Thought it would be great for my resume! I never ended up going to any events, but had recently been thinking about joining back up.

e31
02-18-2011, 10:22 PM
I participated in a university study over the course of 5 years. In the beginning they put you through almost a full day of tests (think of an IQ test that takes 6 hours). It payed pretty well, and I got my genome mapped at no cost to me.

I can't remember how I lucked out with that one, but you should look for something similar at the University.

iceburns288
02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
If UC has disability services, check with them. Part of testing for ADD is a full-blown IQ test, plus additional tests to see how you compare in fluency (sustained attention, essentially). Either try to get tested for ADD, or ask them if you can take the 'IQ' test through them at little or no cost.

PS there's not really a good reason to go through all the trouble to get it done, other than bragging to your dad if you score better than him.:dunno:

googe
02-27-2011, 06:46 PM
It's very unwise to put IQ on your resume.