PDA

View Full Version : Law against accerlating to fast?

Nismo_R34
02-05-2011, 11:13 PM
So say the speed limit is 60 and its a red light. If I rip it really fast to 60 but not go over the speed limit what would be the consequences of that?

89s1
02-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I believe they hit you with "exhibition of acceleration"

Disoblige
02-05-2011, 11:17 PM
If the cop is a big enough dick, could give you a ticket for stunting. 3 demerits.

Originally posted by 89s1
I believe they hit you with "exhibition of acceleration"
Don't know if this exists in Alberta. But probably falls under stunting.

Sentry
02-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Improper start.

Kloubek
02-06-2011, 12:11 AM
I think Disoblige is right. They probably *could* hit you with stunting, but I think it would be a pretty weak ticket. They can also do this if you squeal your tires. (Got pulled over in Vancouver once for that. Granted, that's BC, but I think the rules are similar.)

95teetee
02-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by 89s1
I believe they hit you with "exhibition of acceleration" I've also heard it called 'speed exhibition' (although, never to me personally:angel: )

seems to me it's only enforced when you have the nerve to pull away from a cop at a light:D

revelations
02-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Nismo_R34
So say the speed limit is 60 and its a red light. If I rip it really fast to 60 but not go over the speed limit what would be the consequences of that?

If you dont squeal your tires or have a loud exhaust.... not much they can do in terms of making something "stick" to you.

chkolny541
02-06-2011, 02:23 AM
ive always wondered this myself, so redic if you think about it, you can get tickets for everything. Is there a ticket for decelerating too fast too?

Cos
02-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Between dangerous driving and stunting you can get a ticket for pretty much anything if they want to.

miguex
02-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Well, I have doing that many times at lights specially on roads with 80 limit.
Once there was a cop car 2 cars behind my car. They saw me doing quick acceleration and they thought I was going to broke the speed limit but no, I slowed at 80 km/h and the cops did nothing..... that is the fact and I don't think so there is a law for that. I may be wrong. You tell me.

Unless your car is spinning and with loud aftermarket exhaust. That could be a different history and you may get a ticket.

revelations
02-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by miguex
Well, I have doing that many times at lights specially on roads with 80 limit.
Once there was a cop car 2 cars behind my car. They saw me doing quick acceleration and they thought I was going to broke the speed limit but no, I slowed at 80 km/h and the cops did nothing..... that is the fact and I don't think so there is a law for that. I may be wrong. You tell me.

Unless your car is spinning and with loud aftermarket exhaust. That could be a different history and you may get a ticket.

I think Rage got a "stunting" ticket once for coming around a gravel-filled corner slightly too fast and sliding a little bit....

C_Dave45
02-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I think Disoblige is right. They probably *could* hit you with stunting, but I think it would be a pretty weak ticket. They can also do this if you squeal your tires. (Got pulled over in Vancouver once for that. Granted, that's BC, but I think the rules are similar.)

Hahaha...I got nailed for that one time. In Nanaimo, sitting at a red light at night. Guy beside me revs his engine and does a little bunny hop signifying he wants to race. Fine...I dropped the pedal and lit the tires up. We roll up to the next light and he's laughing his ass off and looks at me and points behind us. A cop was sitting behind me the whole time. Cop puts his lights on, we both pull over and he walks up just kind of laughing and says "nice going". :banghead:

black13
02-06-2011, 01:28 PM
so accelerate like grandma's driving or get a ticket? I hate the lights at crowchild and 24 ave for this reason. Takes forever for people up front to step on it.

jdmXSI
02-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Ive accelerated past police from a set of lights (nothing too crazy) and stop accelerating at the posted speed limits with no issue but I guess it's kinda hard to light up all four wheels

Mitsu3000gt
02-06-2011, 02:49 PM
You can get a stunting ticket if the cop is an asshole. If you don't squeal your tires or do anything stupid I think it would be an easy one to fight.

I'd be more worried about an "estimated" speeding ticket because they didn't expect me to slow down at the limit and just assumed I went way over.

If you plan on doing something like that, just check your rear view mirror first - problem solved.

JAYMEZ
02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Its stunting , I got it when I was 16 .

gstone
02-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Depends on the mood of the officer. It will either be stunting or dangerous driving, in any event there is a better question upon what you did or "have" to attract them to you in the first place.

mucat
02-07-2011, 01:02 PM
It helps if you only do it in a Corolla...or a sleeper

ICEBERG
02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Its stunting

This..

I got pulled over for it, but just got a warning. Some times it helps that you been driving 25+ years with a good record.:D