PDA

View Full Version : AutoCad dimensioning Q?

rinny
02-06-2011, 02:11 AM
Im working on the layout for the cutout of instruments to mount on a panel enclosure door. There is a .dwg file for the product on the website here:

http://www.hoffmanonline.com/product_catalog/product_search.aspx?search_filter=search_catalogs&searchFor=903636fs

The issue is, I find the drawing in the file is not scaled to any particular dimension. That means to get correct autodimensioning I have to redesign the enclosure using the measurements provided on the spec sheet from the MFR.

My whole goal is to efficiently as possible, produce a drawing to go to the fabrication shop for cutout. Im not sure how shops work if they simply take the ACad file and load it into their machine for automatic cutting or if they can just read dimensions and input them for cutout.

If I use the .dwg file from the website which is not to scale and then pass the completed file to the machine shop, arent they going to have problems since the file isnt to scale?

Whats the best way to go about this?? Im a noob here and would like to figure it out pissing time away in the office...

Modelexis
02-06-2011, 02:18 AM
I just opened the file and it is scaled correctly.

http://www.modelexis.com/AutoCAD/cad.jpg

I would select the entire thing and scale it to be true.

look for a major dimension, look what it should be, and what it's at for length.
Draw a line that is the correct length for this particular measurement.

Select all the pieces (not the line you just made)

scale
set your base point, doesn't really matter where
r for reference
select two points that are dimensioned incorrectly based on the line you drew
p for points
select each end of the line you drew at the correct scale.

boom

rinny
02-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Well thats odd....I dont know what I was doing then because it was showing it to be ~30" when I was working with it before.

I just opened it on my laptop at home and it seems to be correct.

Thanks for pointing out that out Modelexis!