PDA

View Full Version : Peugeot Spotted

A_3
01-09-2004, 06:40 PM
I didn't even know they sold these things in North America but there was on driving through Marda Loop this afternoon, are there any Peugeot dealerships in N.A.?

DJ Lazy
01-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by A_3
I didn't even know they sold these things in North America but there was on driving through Marda Loop this afternoon, are there any Peugeot dealerships in N.A.?

:eek:
Wow... too bad you couldn't take a pic... Cuz that is really rare... If there is a dealership I would love know, I would defineately consider getting 206. :D

illeagle
01-09-2004, 07:11 PM
did it have alberta plates? that's neat! i bet it was bought from Hyatt

A_3
01-09-2004, 08:29 PM
I believe it did have Alberta plates, 90% sure, i glanced in my rear view and it looked like it. I was pretty amazed at seeing one so i didn't really think to look at the plates.

/////AMG
01-09-2004, 08:34 PM
They do not sell these in Canada, you can maybe get the old 505's and such, but the newer one? I don't think so. Maybe you were mistaken with a new civic HB? :dunno: :dunno:

Hakkola
01-09-2004, 09:51 PM
No, there must be a loophole not many people know about, because I've seen a new alfa romeo as well, maybe just imported for a year or something??? We've beaten this to death before though.

maximus
01-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
No, there must be a loophole not many people know about, because I've seen a new alfa romeo as well, maybe just imported for a year or something??? We've beaten this to death before though.

I don't know if it still exists, but there was an Alpha dealer off of Edmonton Trail. Haven't passed by there in awhile so don't know if its still there.

A_3
01-10-2004, 01:28 AM
It was for sure a 206, i couldn't believe it either, didn't think they could sell them in Canada, but I agree with Hakkola there must be some kind of loophole to bring them in.

ryder_23
01-10-2004, 02:03 AM
http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/images/smilies/pics.gif

:D

A_3
01-10-2004, 02:28 AM
ahahahahaha Jaret what you want me to do, grab my e-brake in rush hour traffic and follow him home to grab a few shots, sorry man just posting what i saw, was wondering how one could be in Canada

ryder_23
01-10-2004, 03:07 AM
^
its all good man i was just buggin ya...and yes i do expect you to pull the ebrake in traffic...lol

izzoblitzo
01-11-2004, 01:14 AM
I thought I saw one of those once.. but it just ended up as a dawoo lanos or something. :)

pressure_ratio
01-31-2004, 10:29 PM
Could be,I do remember hearing a rumor that Peugot was coming back into Canada.Just a rumor though,so it's still worthless,haha

ZorroAMG
02-01-2004, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by maximus

Alpha dealer off of Edmonton Trail

Alphaghetti?

LOL or did you mean ALFA Romeo ;)

benyl
02-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo
I thought I saw one of those once.. but it just ended up as a dawoo lanos or something. :)

or it was one of these:

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevrolet/aveo/img/chev_aveo_head_over.gif

A_3
02-01-2004, 02:43 PM
I definietly didn't see that car when i posted this thread, but i've seen a few around since.

euro_racer
02-01-2004, 03:42 PM
yea they got Peugeot's here, i used to own a '93 405.............man was it ever fast

maximus
02-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Alphaghetti?

LOL or did you mean ALFA Romeo ;)

:rofl: I don't know how I mispelled that!! I'ma disgrace! I must have been on something.

:rofl: :rofl:

cbr_ryder
02-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Ya I saw a Peugeot once too, at pick-your-part...:D

rice_eater
02-01-2004, 11:53 PM
they sell them in mexico...saw tons in Cancun when i was there...but really, the stock 206 is nothing like the rally one. I don't know why you guys are getting so worked up over this :dunno:

nismodrifter
02-02-2004, 01:30 AM
on the same kind of topic...

I spotted a newer Silver Alfa Romeo yesterday, not sure of model etc... but it had Euro plates on it and everything. I kind of looked at the thing, said "wow...nice car" and only noticed it was something really out of the ordinary when it passed by and I saw the rear end with euro plates....

Ducati
02-03-2004, 01:25 AM
The Maserati is back, and rumours are that Alfa Romeo is presently looking around for a dealer network to hook up with.

Peugeot is cautious since the debacle of their illicit coupling with Chrysler and the uneasy closeness with rival Renault at the same time, while with Chrysler.
Remember those horrible Fuegos and Rebadged Renault Eagle Medallians? They did more to hurt the rep of French cars than anything Peugeot could have ever done. Peugeots were (are) great cars. In Europe they are proving to be as sturdy and reliable as any Toyota.
Ditto Citroen.
Renault was so hot and cold. They had a great little car in the model 5 and Gt/gls (aka "LeCar'; Quebec bastardization) and the early Gordinis, 8's and Dauphine's (I had one. It was my first car) but the Renault 10's and 15's were abyssimal peices of shit.

Mosquito_R
02-29-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I really don't think there's a loophole... I've seen a Hyundai Atoz and a Euro-spec Celica (current model) somewhere near U of C campus and both have Alberta plates. I believe if these people are visiting scholars in Canada temporarily (say a year or two or something, but >3 months) they would be allowed to register the car here. But of course, when they exit the country, the car goes with them too.

I took a front pic of the Atoz at U of C, but failed to take a rear with the Alberta plate. I wanna make another attempt, but I don't see the car anymore.

rice_eater
02-29-2004, 02:16 AM
how rich must you be to be able to afford to ship your car over? And if you are so rich, why come to school in Calgary out of all the places:confused: U of C is definately not at the top of any university lists :dunno: just a side note

hjr
02-29-2004, 02:18 AM
man, a stock 206 is a fugly car. fugly. and not perticularly fast. and a biatch to maintain as everthing has to come from france.

Mosquito_R
02-29-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
how rich must you be to be able to afford to ship your car over? And if you are so rich, why come to school in Calgary out of all the places:confused: U of C is definately not at the top of any university lists :dunno: just a side note

I talked to the Atoz owner (it was a very rainy day, and he didn't say much), and he's some visiting scholar to U of C... certainly not a student! And the Atoz is cheaper and smaller than the Accent, just to give you an idea. But hey, if car shipping is part of the relocation cost, who cares then? But I bet it must be appx. $3K to ship a car?

Also, there are many "rich" cars on campus too... WRXs, BMWs, etc... driven by students??? If the owners are students, shouldn't they have put their money for better education and go somewhere else?

[I'm a slightly-bitter U of C grad.]

cappachihngo
03-01-2004, 12:26 AM
wow a.r's and Peugeot's wuts next????

Akagi Redsuns
03-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Speaking of that Atoz, it reminded me that I took some pics of it. It did have a Alberta plate starting with W. I wonder what the regulations are for visiters getting Alberta plates and probably insurance for cars not sold in Canada?

http://members.shaw.ca/fc3s/altoz1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/fc3s/altoz.jpg

-APEX-
03-03-2004, 07:27 PM
there's a place in canada i know that theres a pregot dealership its out on new brunswick this city is calmed as a part of france and i seen on cbc they were doing a tv show there and it showed a new pregot suv

Mosquito_R
03-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
Speaking of that Atoz, it reminded me that I took some pics of it. It did have a Alberta plate starting with W. I wonder what the regulations are for visiters getting Alberta plates and probably insurance for cars not sold in Canada?

I once did a search on some boring government regulations on a boring afternoon at work and there was an allowance for visiting scholars/students/etc to bring in their vehicles and have them registered. Of course, the car cannot change hands, and the visiting person must take the car with them when they leave the country. As for where I found it? It was probably somewhere deep in the Transport Canada regulations.

In addition to the Atoz (BTW, it's also spelled Atos in some markets) and the Euro-spec Celica, there was also a Euro-spec CHEVY ASTRO once upon a time at Lot 12 at U of C (This was back when CCIT building was not built yet). How did I know it was Euro-spec? Well, it had side blinkers on the fenders, yellow blinkers at the rear, single red fog light and single reverse light. Also, the license plate was mounted on the bumper in a recess big enough to house a Euro plate. [Now I think I'm a real nerd when it comes to these details!]

nufc87
03-29-2004, 11:10 PM
There are certain loopholes in the system..transport canada allows you to import cars that are over 15 years old, permitting you update them to certain safety standards. which would allow you to get some decent rides like Renault 5 GT Turbos, Pug 205 GTi, and other cars that would be around in the late 1980's. I'm in Halifax and have seen a few different imports...like a wide arched M3, an mid 90's Alfa, and a few odd things like an early 80 Renault Alpina (mid engined v8 weirdness) there is also a right hand drive Euro Spec Accord...with the big uncircled "H" on the grill...strange. I know it would be really easy to get a French car off of St-Pierre et Miquelon (French controlled island off of NFLD) they have really lax customs there apparently, if you can find one in good shape, I know they have Clios, 306's, 206's and the like up there. just pay the right folks and you could get it into the country. I don't imagine insuring it would be a big deal either...
http://xr3i.icsnetworks.at/images/EC-40.jpg