PDA

View Full Version : Pick and Pull with newer vehicles?

gyu
02-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey does anyone know if there is a pick and pull in Calgary with newer vehicles? I only know of the Pick-n-pull company that does this (is this the only company that does this in Calgary?) and I just checked their website but it only has older vehicles listed in their inventory. It says only selected stores have newer vehicle parts but do not list it on their website.

Thanks

Xtrema
02-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I was told that you can't compete with pro pickers with any parts that's less than 10 years old.

gyu
02-07-2011, 03:28 PM
What's the reason behind that? What are pro pickers? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with this stuff

Xtrema
02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Good 15 years ago, I was looking for Acura EL trunk lit to slap on my Civic (my rice phase). Talked to a mechanic friend and he just laughed at me that people in the biz will strip anything that worth anything like a vulture. Anything that actually piling up in pick and pull are crap that's not worth their time and effort. And usually, any parts less than 10 years old are worth the effort.

So if picking parts isn't your day job, you won't get anything good.

GOnSHO
02-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

So if picking parts isn't your day job, you won't get anything good.

QFT

clem24
02-07-2011, 05:15 PM
LOL when I used to frequent PnP, I don't recall anything newer than 15 years. Maybe there was the ODD car that was 10 years old but chances are, that thing was already down to it's shell... Good luck. Well, whatever. It's still a fun place to visit!

gyu
02-08-2011, 12:58 AM
That sucks, I was mainly looking for a body coloured license plate trim to replace my chrome one. I guess projectors is definitely out of the question :rofl:

racerjim
02-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Check out stampede auto parts on 52nd street. That is a new U-pick auto wrecker and they get some newish cars, but all there stuff has been in an accident. but ive seen them get stuff up to about 08's.

Its about 52nd st. and 25thish between 17th ave SE and erin woods.

Gibson
02-08-2011, 11:25 PM
The newest car I've ever seen at PnP was an '02 Impreza wagon, probably in 2008 or 2009. Car was literally torn in half though, really not much usable.

Honestly how much would license plate trim be new?

gyu
02-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks racerjim I'll check it out sometime soon hopefully.

It's around $80 stand alone, but Honda didn't produce cars in my colour until 09+ which is when they also switched to the chrome piece so I have to get it repainted as well. The shop said (if I recall correctly) it would be around $200 for the piece, paint and installation.

euro_racer
02-09-2011, 02:57 AM
http://www.car-part.com/ :thumbsup:

gyu
02-09-2011, 03:26 AM
Thanks euro_racer!! Found a lot of interesting stuff that I may be interested in.
but the license trim I'm looking for doesn't seem to be listed. Not sure what the generic name for it would be but that's what it is called on college hills honda.

Here's a pic (it's the piece right under the H and between the taillights):
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/storeart/8thgensedan/licensepaintedex.jpg

HuMz
02-09-2011, 06:21 AM
A1 Honda parts by chinook. Got nearly all my parts for my acura el when I owned it. Obviously not as cheap as pnp but still pretty reasonable. You can usually bargain a bit on there used parts as well.