PDA

View Full Version : New Canon Rebels announced

Go4Long
02-08-2011, 10:47 AM
yet another flock of new rebels was announced recently:

http://photography.bhinsights.com/content/canons-newest-eos-rebels-t3-and-t3i.html?BI=7596&kw=article_newest_eos_rebels_t3

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2011, 03:34 PM
LOL I was reading about these yesterday...lots of angry Canon folks on the forums, lots more threats to switch brands, etc. haha. Typical stuff.

They finally updated some of their big primes though, and will have their own 200-400 (finally) as well. It has a built in 1.4 TC as well which seems to be splitting people down the middle as to if they want that or not. It's expected to be $8,000 but I haven't seen a price estimate from a credible source yet.

Lots of announcements coming this week. Sigma announced a new 120-300/2.8 OS, a new 105/2.8 OS HSM MACRO (complete redesign), and a 12-24mm lens for full frame. I'm particularly interested in the new 105 macro...I have the current one and it's one of the sharpest lenses I own.

Nikon has some new compacts being announced tonight, of particular interest is their P300 (f1.8, 1080p, etc.) to compete with the Canon S95....sadly I think it's a 1/2.3 sensor which immediately makes it uncompetitive. Still waiting to confirm that though. No new DSLR announcements from Nikon until at least March. A new 80-400VR or similar is expected this year as well.

Go4Long
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
every time Canon comes out with a new product people threaten to switch, lol

and did you see the prices on their new long primes?

The Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM lens is expected to be available in May for an approximate retail price of $9,499.00.

The Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens is expected to be available in June for an approximate retail price of $11,999.00

From the Canon press release, found here :http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/news_events?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480288843

who do they think they are? Nikon? :poosie:

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
every time Canon comes out with a new product people threaten to switch, lol

and did you see the prices on their new long primes?

who do they think they are? Nikon? :poosie:

Yeah, after Nikon updated their big primes, people were always saying they could buy a Canon body + the lens for less than the Nikon version. The Nikon versions were better though. Now that Canon has updated theirs to (probably) make things even, you can buy a Nikon body + a lens for the price of the Canon lens lol.

I think the biggest surprise will come when people see the price of that 200-400...anyone expecting it to be the same price as the Nikon variant is likely in for an unpleasant surprise. They will charge at least $1000 for that built in TC that only some people want but have to take. Reading other forums, some delusional people think it's going to be between $2000 and $3000 :rofl:. My personal guess is $7,499, maybe $7,999.

Go4Long
02-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I'll be pretty surprised to see it under 7500, or over 8000, my guess is in there somewhere.

Zewind
02-08-2011, 04:49 PM
think there will be a price drop in the T2i or Ti's?

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Zewind

Probably, as soon as the T3/T3i come out. They are almost exactly the same as the T2i haha.

Xtrema
02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Zewind

Marketplace and Ebay has been flooded with used one the last few weeks.

benyl
02-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
LOL I was reading about these yesterday...lots of angry Canon folks on the forums, lots more threats to switch brands, etc. haha. Typical stuff.

What are they angry about?

HiSpec
02-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Lots of announcements coming this week. Sigma announced a new 120-300/2.8 OS, a new 105/2.8 OS HSM MACRO (complete redesign), and a 12-24mm lens for full frame. I'm particularly interested in the new 105 macro...I have the current one and it's one of the sharpest lenses I own.

How does that 105/2.8 perform? Anything you don't like about it?

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by benyl

What are they angry about?

Just from what I've read, they seem to think that the T3/T3i are incredibly underwhelming. Basically all the same types of comments as when the 60D was announced. I see this happen every time Canon releases a camera haha. It's all speculation at this point though because nobody's actually tested these cams, but it should be quite predictable given the specs and same sensors, etc.

HiSpec
02-08-2011, 05:37 PM
The T3i and 60D have nearly identical specs. The only difference I see is 60D have a higher fps.

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

How does that 105/2.8 perform? Anything you don't like about it?

The current one is amazing. Unbelievably sharp, which is pretty much all I care about in a macro lens. It holds up to my high end Nikkors for sure. The lens barrel extends as you get closer to 1:1 reproduction though, which some people don't like (it makes absolutely no difference in actual use). Also it's a screw drive AF, which also doesn't matter at all, especially on a pro body like a D300/D3 or similar.

That said, I would rather have a built in AF motor and stabilization than not have it, so I'll be looking at the new one vs the Nikon 105/2.8 VR macro if I decide to pick up a new macro lens this year. We'll see how it goes. If the new 105 is as good as the old 105 and significantly cheaper than the Nikon 105, I'll be fairly tempted.

Sigma's 150/2.8 macro is an amazing lens as well and it also just got stabilization added to it. Nobody really makes a bad macro lens, there are lots of very good ones out there.

HiSpec
02-08-2011, 05:57 PM

The current one is amazing...

I've been searching for a macro lens so I can use for the Family Day long weekend, but I guess I should wait till the new one is out.

uptown.
02-08-2011, 06:03 PM
They are still an entry level DSLR so they can't give them amazing specs or else no one would buy the mid range Canons
(60D, 7D). Definitely shouldn't be a reason to switch manufacturers either but i guess there must be some pretty die hard rebel fans out there

Xtrema
02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by uptown.
some pretty die hard rebel fans out there

Or internet/Nikon trolls.

C4S
02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Even I am a big canon user .. for over 20 yr .. and the new 600D seems like a great camera at decent price ..

However, the new Sony A33/A55 are just AMAZING!!! KO Canon/Nikon entry level bodies big time! :eek:

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Confirmed 1/2.3 sensor in the Nikon P300, and no RAW shooting....still safe with my S95 purchase lol.

Unknown303
02-08-2011, 09:43 PM
The Canon line up really weirds me out. They have to many models with such close specs. Why not make more definited boundaries between the different classes so people know why they are spending more or less for the cameras.

Pollywog
02-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
The Canon line up really weirds me out. They have to many models with such close specs. Why not make more definited boundaries between the different classes so people know why they are spending more or less for the cameras.

In my opinion, both of the main manufacturers have far too many similar models in the lower end, yet the higher end models are very simple to differentiate. I think that if one of the companies were to streamline their product lineup a bit more, both them AND us as the consumer would benefit. More money into less products can contribute to BETTER products.

In the past few years the Rebel lineup has gotten completely out of hand, and Nikon is almost as guilty with all of its Dxxxx models. At least between the D90, D300, D700, and D3 people can easily see the differences. Same with the 60D, 7D, 5D and 1D from Canon.

:drama:

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, the P+S market is even worse than DSLR's...

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Thats one big reason why some Canon users are so frustrated based on what I read, primarily in the entry level sector. They keep hoping for a nice upgrade, but Canon keeps releasing the exact same crap over and over. The changes are so minor, or even downgrades from previous models (i.e. 60D). Another thing is their refusal to let their 1D technology flow down into their other higher end cameras like the 7D and 5D MKII.

Actually what surprised me today was reading about how many people switched from the 7D to the D7000. I must have read 5 separate threads on the Nikon forums today alone about people who sold their 7D and moved to the D7000 and asking for lens advice, etc. I'd have thought people that far invested in either system wouldn't switch so easily.

Nikon's DSLR lineup is pretty straight forward IMO...D3100 ($520, entry level), D90 ($680, enthusiast), D7000 ($1200, semi pro), D300s ($1350, pro DX), D700 ($2200, pro lightweight FF), D3s ($4400, pro sports), D3x ($7300, pro studio/landscape). All at very distinct price levels. The D5000 is discontinued. The only unusual gap in price is between the D90 and D7000, but as far as performance and features go, it's a perfectly logical progression all the way up the line from the most entry level to the most expensive camera (which is why the D90 is such a bargain right now).

ALL companies making point & shoot cameras are brutal for re-releasing basically the exact same cameras multiple times per year. Thats where a lot of the money is, but they sure do make it confusing for shoppers. There seems to be a new model at every $20 price increment all the way up the line for each manufacturer. They sell 99.9% of their cameras based off of mega pixel and zoom specifications though, so their marketing departments are doing exactly what they need to in order to keep selling cameras to people who don't do research.

AccentAE86
02-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Rebels have always had smaller incremental upgrades. They only get a decent bump of features every three models or so. I mean, they release a new Rebel series every 12 months or less!

As for people switching, it all depends on where you hang out is what stories you'll hear. I mean, on the Cafe, all I see are the threads of people switching to Nikon. But on POTN, I see the exact opposite. There is no mass exodus happening any which way really; it's already happened and settled. Back in 2005-2006 there was a mass exodus out of Nikonland to Canon. Once the D3/D700 came out, there was an exodus back to Nikon. The dust has settled now and people are still switching, but it's going both ways.

In the last couple of months though, there has been quite a stir in the professional event shooting world... people are leaving Nikon to Canon due a consistent, repeatable focusing flaw (in all the CAM3500 systems... D300/D300s/D700/D3/D3s/D3x) that mainly affects event shooters. It's been frustrating me for almost three years now but I could never put my finger on it until someone finally made the discovery and showed everyone exactly what the problem was. I was just talking online with someone about it last week because he was having the same problems I have been, but couldn't figure out why. He checked his images, and within two days he had sold his D3/D3s and lenses and bought a 1D mark III and complete L setup. So it's definitely happening both ways.

What I find amusing though, is that Nikon diehards are trying to keep it hush hush and are in denial. Canon shooters are the exact opposite, who LOVE to bitch about canon products for any reason whatsoever. It's interesting being in both camps; it's two very different crowds.

Go4Long
02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Lol. I'd like to see this focus issue you're speaking of. I took 50'000 pictures with the D3s last year, and can honestly tell you that I've never seen any example of focus issues.

AccentAE86
02-10-2011, 10:26 AM
You can LOL all you want. I never brought it up earlier here because I know I'd be ridiculed by the fanboys. The problem mainly shows up with users of primes in low light environment. It's become more apparent with the release of very wide aperture AF-S lenses like the 85G, 35G and 24G, but I noticed it with my 135 DC and 85 1.8. The increased DOF with zooms seems to hide the problem. The cameras seem to exhibit small focus shifts depending on the light temperature. But under any kind of natural light, everything is perfect. But I don't shoot in natural light most of the time.

Just because I've taken a billion perfect focus photographs with my 1D mark III and 1Ds mark III and can expect a 95% keeper ratio doesn't mean that there isn't a problem somewhere on the mark III.

It mostly just affects evening event shooters that use primes.

AccentAE86
02-10-2011, 10:28 AM
btw the lenses are fine. The problems lie in the cameras.