PDA

View Full Version : Furnace questions!!

quick_scar
02-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Looking to get my ducts cleaned. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I have a dog, and do not know the last time the ducts were cleaned.... Most likely not in the last 10 years....

As well, I have a really old Lennox furnace from the 80's. Anyone have a reference they can pass along regarding someone to install a new one for me?

Any Beyond members in this line of work?

On a side note, I also need my fireplace chimney cleaned. References on a good company to go with for this?

mr2mike
02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I felt Arpi's wasn't helpful at all and were on the high end for costs. Look else where is my advice.

quick_scar
02-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

Cos
02-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Cant be a lot of help but RAM was super good at carpet cleaning. Also I wouldnt replace your furnace until it craps out. Something like that wont twice as long as your 80's furnace will.

Amysicle
02-13-2011, 11:00 AM
We had RAM service our furnace last year and we were pleased. The gal over the phone was efficient and the guy that came to do the job was prompt and polite. Good experience overall.

Seth1968
02-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Duct cleaning?

Fuck, I wish I'd thought of that scam.

MrSector9
02-13-2011, 01:35 PM
actually the ducts get grosse, my buddy worked for western canadian furnace he told me all kinds of weird stuff, dead mice and squirrels. Also the dust buildup can be insane.

At the same point i do not think it needs to be done as frequently as they say, however every 3-5 years should help with allergies.

So try

Western Canadian Furnace.

Or

since one of their employees live aorund the block from me

Fagnan's furnace

quick_scar
02-14-2011, 12:53 PM
The people who owned the house before me we a couple of young party guys. The stories my neighbors tell me are insane. (Couches through the front window, numerous cop calls, fire dept showing up to put out bon fires, etc...) The house was at best "outwardly maintained" by them. It has probably been 10 years since the last cleaning. If it helps reduce the work on the furnace motor, and improve air movement in even the slightest I think it will be worth it.

Thank you eveyone for your suggestions. I will call around and see what kind of pricing I am looking at.

quick_scar
02-14-2011, 12:55 PM
I am thinking about doing the furnace because I like to do things on my terms (when I want, when money is there, when I have time off work, etc...) rather then in the "emergency" case of them breaking.

The furnace I have is old and seems to kick in a whole hell of a lot more then it should.

Cos
02-16-2011, 07:51 PM
So keep the money for the furnace for when you need it. Otherwise you are just spending your money early and not using the whole life of the furnace while it works.

sputnik
02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Should you get your ducts cleaned?

Or is it all hype?

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/gemare/gemare_011.cfm

bjstare
02-16-2011, 10:14 PM
+1 for not replacing the furnace until you need it. I have a 1980 in my house, and considered replacing it... every person I talked to who is knowledgeable on the subject suggested I keep it because the old ones are much better than the new ones (build quality). It started squeaking one day, so I went out and bought a new motor (~$100), and installed it in about 50 minutes, total. Purrs now.

The fact that its "kicking in" quite often shouldn't have much to do with the furnace itself, but could be attributed to the rest of the house (walls, windows, ceiling/roof) being inefficient. Just my 2c.

Brent McQuade
03-11-2011, 07:47 PM
hi arthor I am inthis line of work I can help you out with a good duct cleaning company and I can install you a new furnace

wts
09-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Brent, what brand/model of furnace do you recommend to replace existing 25year Airco units?