PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shooting wireless printer connection.

cycosis
02-09-2011, 06:21 PM
So I'm trying to connect our the office printer, a HP3600n Laserjet.

I first went into my windows 7 control panel and attempted to make the computer search for a wireless device to connect to. That failed to detect anything. I then went to the HP website, downloaded the appropriate drivers, and then tried to manually enter my IP address into the printer's connection tool. The connection still failed. The help button is providing me with no further solutions. Help?

nissanK
02-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Are you getting the wireless signal light on the printer? You may also need to connect the printer to the PC, setup the wireless configuration then disconnect. I had to do that with my lexmark.

cycosis
02-10-2011, 01:05 PM
brutal. The printer is a big mother fucker and its in another room.

nissanK
02-10-2011, 01:50 PM
You can probably just take a laptop over with the USB cable to do the setup.

EDIT:

Sound like you have so many unknowns with this.

1. When you say office, do you mean home or work?

2. If at home, is your PC behind a router? You might have to add the printer to the router as an accepted device.

3. If at work, the wireless capabilities may have been locked out.

adam c
02-10-2011, 01:51 PM
if it's a network printer dhcp should be on by default, use a ipscanner to determine the IP address unless it's not plugged into the network

cycosis
02-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Its a work PC. Not about to haul either around. The PC is connected wirelessly to a Belkin router of which is connected by cable to another PC which is connected by cable to the printer.

No capabilities have been locked out as we are a small company and don't even have an IT guy. We all just kinda plug and play and hope for the best. Obviously this is not working out for the current problem.

Also, I used an IP address scanner to do the manual entry but ti still failed.

adam c
02-10-2011, 02:39 PM
can you ping the printer ip address?