PDA

View Full Version : how to tell 100% if your clutch is slippin...

403Gemini
01-10-2004, 03:27 AM
i dunno if its just the icy roads and my lack of winter tires, but in 1st gear my accelration blows and feels like my clutch it slippin, yet when im in 3rd n 4th gear theres no slip at all. i think im spinnin my tires on ice n shit in 1st but im not 100% positive. if my clutch was goin itd slip in every gear with harsh accelration, right?

(also going up a hill that was dry there was no slip in 1st/2nd gear)

i think its just my tires are spinnin

James
01-10-2004, 03:29 AM
yep, im willing to bet its just the slick roads man, unless your absolutly crawling its pretty hard NOT to spin your tires in 1st gear when the roads are like this.

403Gemini
01-10-2004, 03:34 AM
thanks, just needed to hear it from somebody else. cause basically ill accelerate hard then reelease gas and i feel the gear catch so its not like it fires up and slowly crawls back down (if what im talking about makes any sense... it being 2:35 am lol)

James
01-10-2004, 03:36 AM
hahaha , ya go to bed, and dont worry about it, your car is fine. :rofl:

cobber112879
01-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Better make sure that your quill bearing (transmission input shaft bearing) seal isn't leaking transmission fluid all over your clutch. This is a very common in 5 speed s series saturns. (They will all do this at any possible mileage) Just look under your car and see if the bottom of your bellhousing has atf all over it.

air_mikey
01-10-2004, 12:16 PM
you can tell your slutch is slipping when you gas it in gear and your rpms go up but your speed doesnt go up as usual.

hjr
01-10-2004, 02:05 PM
ok, here is a little secret i assume most folks know (but they dont). when you put you foot into it on ice wit hcrappy tires, you go slower than if you accel. slowely. try and keep traction and you will go faster. Now if you have nokian hakk. then gas away cause they should grip pretty well.