PDA

View Full Version : pulling over for emergency vehicles if there is no room?

alberta_gamer
02-09-2011, 11:50 PM
OK one more post for the night; I couldn't find a question quite like this in a search of the site.

I was stopped at a light on 16th Ave N. There were several cars in front of me and behind me, and a solid line of cars to my left and right.

Then, a fire truck comes up my lane, and people behind me started one-by-one moving over as much as possible. I tried shuffling over to the right as much as possible but ended up at a bit of an angle (like a few other cars my lane) because we couldn't get clear over enough.

Any suggestions on a better course of action for future incidents like this? I felt like a major knob because the fire truck had to squeeze past me.

streethondas
02-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by alberta_gamer
Any suggestions on a better course of action for future incidents like this?

Perhaps learn to drive?:rofl:

on serious note just wait for the traffic light to go green and then move where you feel theres more room

ddduke
02-10-2011, 12:05 AM
You're going to have to ignore all the hate everyone is going to give you.

But you did fine, if you pulled over as much as you could I don't see much more you could do.

Jetta-2.0
02-10-2011, 12:36 AM
move as much as u can was the right thing u did

if u where the first in line and had no where to go just run the fucking thing red

thats what i did when a fire truck came behind me and there was a post right beside me that i couldnt go over i just ran it red after i made sure every one was stoped and then took the right and moved out of the way.

revelations
02-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Im sure some of the bucketheads here will chime in but in situations where there was a line of cars at an approaching red light we'd always go code 3 into the mainly empty ONCOMING lane to get past the intersection.

Jay911
02-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Officially you are required to move: "to a position that is clear of any intersection and parallel to and as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway" (or if on a divided highway or one-way road, "as close as practicable to the curb or edge of the roadway that is nearest to that other vehicle" - in other words, left curb is OK). (Alberta Rules of the Road regulations, section 65(1))

As an emergency responder, I am just grateful that you acknowledge my presence and move at all; it would be nice if you were to all pull to one side or another (and/or at least give me one single lane I can pass through instead of doing a slalom).

Doing what you described is perfectly acceptable in my book.

Disoblige
02-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by streethondas

on serious note just wait for the traffic light to go green and then move where you feel theres more room
REALLY? That was your serious note? lol

I would hate to be the guy driving the fire truck or ambulance to see some idiot wait for the light to turn green so he can go through.

Zhariak
02-10-2011, 08:33 AM
You have to do what you can do...

Personally whenever there is any emergency vehicles approaching from behind, I always try to look around and see what other vehicles are doing (a.k.a to see if there is going to be a clear path for the emergency vehicle). After seeing what few people have done (who noticed it coming up), I position myself accordingly to make sure I extend that "clear path" that has been made.

It still shocks me how many people still don't notice emergency vehicles. There's been times where everyone has moved as much as they can but there is still one or two ***** or ***** drivers who are in la la land, who are totally blocking the emergency vehicle. There's been times where I've seen emergency vehicles honking with sirens on at them, and it taking up to 45 seconds for them to notice.

The sad ones, even after realizing they are blocking, just inch forward a few inches tapping the breaks (like WTF???).

Thankfully I'm in an SUV, so I can just easily pull on to the sidewalk or curb if need be. Just remember that if you move, try not to do anything that will stop someone else from moving...

Ultimately, do whatever you can do... I think the other guy summed it up pretty good, as long as your trying!

Sugarphreak
02-10-2011, 08:43 AM

AE92_TreunoSC
02-10-2011, 08:44 AM
I usually spot them from over 5 blocks back visually or audibly so I prepare by getting in the right lane and usually will wait in advance if I know they are near.

I hate being the last asshole to get out of their way. So now I'm the first asshole :)

Anomaly
02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Im sure some of the bucketheads here will chime in but in situations where there was a line of cars at an approaching red light we'd always go code 3 into the mainly empty ONCOMING lane to get past the intersection.

I see this a lot on 16th ave and 29st nw right by the foothills hospital... ballsy as fuck

rage2
02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm kinda curious myself as to what the rules are. I've had situations where I'm in the middle lane at the front of a red light, and see that there's absolutely no room for the emergency vehicle to get past. Since the entire intersection is stopped, I run the light, and everyone behind me follows, opening up the middle lane for the emergency vehicle. Mission accomplished, but can I get in shit for that?

FraserB
02-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't think so Rage, I have run a red or two before and had the camera go off. Never got a ticket so I assume that when they review the tickets they see that there is an emergency vehicle in the picture too. Even if you did get a ticket, what cop wants to show up to court and bash the guy who did everything to get out the way, the crown would probably toss a camera ticket too.

rage2
02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Maybe Jay911 can chime in. Curious how many people actually do that, or just sit around and act like sheep and move 3 inches to the curb, accomplishing absolutely nothing.

soccernut
02-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I'm kinda curious myself as to what the rules are. I've had situations where I'm in the middle lane at the front of a red light, and see that there's absolutely no room for the emergency vehicle to get past. Since the entire intersection is stopped, I run the light, and everyone behind me follows, opening up the middle lane for the emergency vehicle. Mission accomplished, but can I get in shit for that?

It happened to me once when a COP was trying to get by....I r an the light....No shit whatsoever

D'z Nutz
02-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I've run the red light a couple times too but only when there's no other options. I mean, what are you gonna do? Stop in the middle of the intersection and wait for your light to go green while you're holding up traffic?

Isaiah
02-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I run the light.
I don't hesitate for a second. If I'm at a red light with an emergency vehicle behind me, I run it every time. I can't believe the number of people that sit at the light because of the 'rules.'

Emergency trumps traffic light (provided you can blow it carefully). Theoretically, the intersecting vehicles with a green light should be yielding at this point.

Kloubek
02-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Only time in recent memory I ran a red light was when there were two cars beside me, and driver in the rear got out, started walking up to the car beside us with a pistol pointed at it. Seemed like a logical reason to run a red.

But back on track - if there is no room, there is no room. Nothing you can do. Just try to move over to where the others in your lane are going, and find the first opportunity to clear the lane when you can.

Tomaz
02-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Now on the topic, do you guys pull over when on a divided highway?

I usually just let them overtake me, but still travel at the speed limit. I read Jay's comment of the rule, but not 100% sure on this one.

Kloubek
02-10-2011, 12:16 PM
If on a highway, I'll pull over to the right (about half on the shoulder, half off) and usually let myself do a coasting slowdown.

Now that I'm actually thinking about it, the coasting slowdown probably doesn't really help in any regard. But at least I pull over.

To me, it isn't about the "rules". It is about ensuring the individuals in the emergency vehicle perfectly know my intentions, and have enough safe room to do what they need to do.

revelations
02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Anomaly

I see this a lot on 16th ave and 29st nw right by the foothills hospital... ballsy as fuck

In one event I had just passed a busy, 4 lane intersection heading southbound and noticed an Ambulance going Code 3 heading NB in the opposite lane, approaching a line of cars at the red light.

I had a feeling that the driver would be pulling into my (SB) lane before the line of vehicles, so I pulled over and sure enough, she did.

Cos
02-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Memorial between center and edmonton trail is retarded for this.

Xtrema
02-10-2011, 03:22 PM
I run light in that situation when it's safe to do so.

If it's one of those downtown rush hours, I do what I can do without causing a collision.

Jay911
02-10-2011, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't want to say yes or no for whether or not to bust an intersection/red light. Personally, if all the traffic is already stopped in all directions and it is safe for you to cross the intersection to give me room, I say go for it. I would agree that, in my opinion, it'd be hard to get a red light ticket to stick if you were clearing the way for an emergency vehicle. (On a side note, emergency services still get photo tickets mailed to them even if the lights are flashing on the unit in the photo. It falls on the administration to check the records and find out if there was a legitimate call on the go at the time the ticket was issued, and that the unit in the pic was assigned to the call.)

As for divided highways, if you mean like Highway 1 west of Calgary, there's no need to stop if for example I am driving westbound in my fire truck and you are coming eastbound. Following the letter of the law, you're supposed to pull over if you are going the same direction as me. However, I wouldn't personally be upset about it if you didn't bother to pull over if you're more than, say, 500m away from me. Once I do get that close, though, you need to get over and let me pass. It's possible I might need to turn left or right directly in front of you, depending on where I have to go (and not necessarily at an interchange either).

Going in the opposing lanes? I'll only do that if the road is closed - done it more than once on Highway 1. I know city crews will do it lots, to bypass intersections and such, but in a rural area, that doesn't happen so often.

spikerS
02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
i got a red light ticket for running a red awhile back when an ambulance came up behind me. I went in and talked with the crown, took the info and said they would call me back.

about a week later, i got a call and verified the ambulance and quashed the ticket.

95EagleAWD
02-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by spikers
i got a red light ticket for running a red awhile back when an ambulance came up behind me. I went in and talked with the crown, took the info and said they would call me back.

about a week later, i got a call and verified the ambulance and quashed the ticket.

That's awesome to hear because I'll blow a light if I need to to let an emergency vehicle by.

rusich
02-10-2011, 11:14 PM
I have a question too. Do I need to come to a complete stop, slow down or keep my speed when I am pulling over for the emergency vehicle?

revelations
02-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by rusich
I have a question too. Do I need to come to a complete stop, slow down or keep my speed when I am pulling over for the emergency vehicle?

If youre on DF and traffic is moving at 100kph, I wouldnt pull over to a complete stop as it creates a huge potential for some other dumbass to rear end you at high speed. I'd just move into the shoulder lane, maybe slow down a bit, and let the emergency vehicle pass.

edit - on second thought, if youre in any of the 3 lanes on the DF and you see the emergency vehicle coming up behind you, move to any empty lane beside you and let the vehicle go by. Dont even bother to slow down as than can create problems for the responder and the traffic around you. Predictable movements are best.

If youre in a single lane 50kph road somewhere with no shoulder, yes I'd pull over and stop.

VetteRacin
02-11-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm going to pose a question here...if everyone left a car length ahead of them at intersections like they teach you in most drivers training classes, wouldn't moving out of the way for a emergency vehicle not be an issue?

[Yu]
02-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by VetteRacin
I'm going to pose a question here...if everyone left a car length ahead of them at intersections like they teach you in most drivers training classes, wouldn't moving out of the way for a emergency vehicle not be an issue?

Were you taught to leave a whole car length when stopped at a intersection? I certainly don't remember my drivers ed class enforcing this at all. Just a safe enough distance if someone struck you at a reasonable speed, you won't fly into car in front of you.

VetteRacin
02-11-2011, 06:31 AM
same thing, but no one does that, so when they come across a emergancy vehicle they have no where to go.

leftwing
02-11-2011, 12:11 PM
If the emergency responder wasnt comming down the left-est lane isnt that wrong? I thought they were taught to come down the left lane and all the car is front are taught to pull as far right as possible.

kvg
02-11-2011, 12:33 PM
If I can I just run the light and pull over

Tik-Tok
02-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by VetteRacin
same thing, but no one does that, so when they come across a emergancy vehicle they have no where to go.

You don't leave enough room that you can turn your wheel hard right and are able to get by their bumper? :nut:

I'm never THAT close.

Originally posted by leftwing
If the emergency responder wasnt comming down the left-est lane isnt that wrong? I thought they were taught to come down the left lane and all the car is front are taught to pull as far right as possible.

They probably are, but seeing as how all the sheep in their cars panic at the sight of flashing lights, most of them either don't move at all, or pull over to the left, when in the left lane.

Personally, when I hear sirens/see lights, I look to see what everyone else is doing in my lane. If they're all pulling to the left, I call them idiots for not going right (as is the law), but I too am now forced to pull left, or else I'm impeding the emergency vehicle.

Even if it is "wrong", as long as they have a quick easy path through traffic, that's what really matters.

leftwing
02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I just remember a long time ago my mom was in this situation and all the cars were going to the left so she did too, which is understandable right? but for some reason the car to my moms left decided to pull right and they hit each other. There was virtually no damage but my mom got a ticket for not going to the right (for not doing the correct maneuver), i forget what the ticket stated/was called.

zarge
02-11-2011, 05:45 PM
I never move for emergency vehicles, we have too many people in calgary!

J-hop
02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
I just remember a long time ago my mom was in this situation and all the cars were going to the left so she did too, which is understandable right? but for some reason the car to my moms left decided to pull right and they hit each other. There was virtually no damage but my mom got a ticket for not going to the right (for not doing the correct maneuver), i forget what the ticket stated/was called.

I hate when people do this, go right for gods sake. They make it a law to go right so everyone goes the same predictable way. But some people are either sheep or don't know what they are doing and cause a gong show going every which way and to be honest I feel very embarrassed for them for looking so dumb

Anyone else notice how bad people are at seeing emergency vehicles coming? I don't know about you guys but I always check my rear view, and it seems every time I see one, I pull over and everyone keeps going. I watched the other day as I stopped at the top of one hill on John Laurie for the ambulance to go by and people in front of me didn't pull over until almost the top of the second hill even though the emergency vehicle was in full view as we were climbing the hill.

Do people see emergency vehicles in the distance and think its alright to drive that extra 1km or so until the emergency vehicle catches up or something?? seems people are doing this, which I personally think is incredibly ignorant.

Neil4Speed
02-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Anyone else notice how bad people are at seeing emergency vehicles coming?

Admittedly, I think I am one of these people. If I see it obviously I will pull over, but find sirens unusually non-directional

spikerS
02-11-2011, 06:19 PM

I hate when people do this, go right for gods sake. They make it a law to go right so everyone goes the same predictable way. But some people are either sheep or don't know what they are doing and cause a gong show going every which way and to be honest I feel very embarrassed for them for looking so dumb

Anyone else notice how bad people are at seeing emergency vehicles coming? I don't know about you guys but I always check my rear view, and it seems every time I see one, I pull over and everyone keeps going. I watched the other day as I stopped at the top of one hill on John Laurie for the ambulance to go by and people in front of me didn't pull over until almost the top of the second hill even though the emergency vehicle was in full view as we were climbing the hill.

Do people see emergency vehicles in the distance and think its alright to drive that extra 1km or so until the emergency vehicle catches up or something?? seems people are doing this, which I personally think is incredibly ignorant.

Yes, it is perfectly fine. I do that all the time. Funny thing is most of the time, the ambulace turns off down a road before it even gets to me. If it gets to within 100m or so, I will pull over. Feel free to pull over as soon as you notice them, nothing wrong with it. But you can pull over at any time as long as you don't impeede them.

J-hop
02-11-2011, 06:45 PM

Yes, it is perfectly fine. I do that all the time. Funny thing is most of the time, the ambulace turns off down a road before it even gets to me. If it gets to within 100m or so, I will pull over. Feel free to pull over as soon as you notice them, nothing wrong with it. But you can pull over at any time as long as you don't impeede them.

see the thing is even if they are a good half kilometer away you still end up impeding them whether you realize it or not as they have to modify their speed so they aren't barreling down on you. I know two paras and this is their biggest pet peeve, when people continue to drive and pull over at the last minute, it DOES severally impede their ability to get to a call.

spikerS
02-11-2011, 06:48 PM

see the thing is even if they are a good half kilometer away you still end up impeding them whether you realize it or not as they have to modify their speed so they aren't barreling down on you. I know two paras and this is their biggest pet peeve, when people continue to drive and pull over at the last minute, it severally impedes their ability to get to a call.

the Best man at my wedding is a EMT for calgary EMS. Guess what. He does the same thing as me.

Just because their lights are flashing, does not mean they can go 100kph in a 30kph school zone! LOL

J-hop
02-11-2011, 06:52 PM

the Best man at my wedding is a EMT for calgary EMS. Guess what. He does the same thing as me.

Just because their lights are flashing, does not mean they can go 100kph in a 30kph school zone! LOL

really and he has told you this straight up or do you drive with him everyday :rolleyes:? must be a bad EMT.

Either way people need to just stop being an idiot and get over so these people can do their job. BTW where did the school zone thing come from?

spikerS
02-11-2011, 07:02 PM

really and he has told you this straight up or do you drive with him everyday :rolleyes:? must be a bad EMT.

Either way people need to just stop being an idiot and get over so these people can do their job. BTW where did the school zone thing come from?

no, he is about the best EMT out there. And that is not my opinion of him, but that of his peers.

So, they are going to barrel down on you huh?

Did you know, that paramedics are only allowed to exceed the posted speed limit by 10kph? New Brunswick just recently stated that in areas with a speed limit of 110kph, they can only go up to 120kph, however, may go as high as 130kph at their discression if the situation warrants it.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/cityregion/article/964115

did you know that the EPS units were giving ambulance drivers tickets for exceeding the limits?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/12/24/edmonton-ambulance-ahs-speed-limits-memo.html

and according to my best friend, whom I just called, states that the Calgary EMS has a policy in place that ambulance drivers are not to exceed the posted speed limit by more than 10kph. He also states that in extreme circumstances, that rule can be broken with proper authorization.

so maybe you should stop talking out of your ass.

J-hop
02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
i'm just saying there would be a lot less delays in response time if people wouldn't pull that move and would just get over. I've seen COPS/EMS doing well over 10kph over the speed limit.

Do you realize that if you are doing 70 and an EMS is doing 80 it would take them 3 minutes to close a 500m gap on you, since when have you seen an EMS vehicle and its taken them 3 minutes to catch up to you??? which means this 10km/hr limit is probably broken a LOT more than you think.

Go call your buddy again and tell him that calgary EMS should release a statement saying you don't have to pull over when you see EMS and that you should wait till he is 100m away and then pull over.

I'm done arguing with you, do whatever you want that is fine. I want to err on the side of respect while you want to do what takes less time out of your day.

spikerS
02-11-2011, 07:23 PM
i'm just saying there would be a lot less delays in response time if people wouldn't pull that move and would just get over. I've seen COPS/EMS doing well over 10kph over the speed limit.

Do you realize that if you are doing 70 and an EMS is doing 80 it would take them 3 minutes to close a 500m gap on you, since when have you seen an EMS vehicle and its taken them 3 minutes to catch up to you??? which means this 10km/hr limit is probably broken a LOT more than you think.

Go call your buddy again and tell him that calgary EMS should release a statement saying you don't have to pull over when you see EMS and that you should wait till he is 100m away and then pull over.

I'm done arguing with you, do whatever you want that is fine. I want to err on the side of respect while you want to do what takes less time out of your day.

glad we see eye to eye!

rusich
02-11-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by revelations

If youre on DF and traffic is moving at 100kph, I wouldnt pull over to a complete stop as it creates a huge potential for some other dumbass to rear end you at high speed. I'd just move into the shoulder lane, maybe slow down a bit, and let the emergency vehicle pass.

edit - on second thought, if youre in any of the 3 lanes on the DF and you see the emergency vehicle coming up behind you, move to any empty lane beside you and let the vehicle go by. Dont even bother to slow down as than can create problems for the responder and the traffic around you. Predictable movements are best.

If youre in a single lane 50kph road somewhere with no shoulder, yes I'd pull over and stop.

alberta_gamer
02-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Another scenario:

You're going down a divided street (such as parts of 16th Ave N) and you see an ambulance with lights in the other lanes. You are approaching a fresh green light and will go through it at the same time as the ambulance. If the ambulance were to turn to its left, you would cross paths, so should you slow down or stop prior to going through the green?

Disoblige
02-12-2011, 09:47 AM
In the handbook:

When an emergency vehicle (ambulance, fire or police)
is approaching you from any direction and is sounding a
siren, you must yield the right-of-way by:

• immediately moving clear of any intersection
• drive as closely as possible to the right curb or edge of the
two-way roadway
• pulling right or left to the nearest curb on one-way streets
• stop until the emergency vehicle has passed and check that no other emergency vehicles are approaching

You must not follow within 150 metres of any emergency vehicle that has its siren or lights operating.