PDA

View Full Version : Which wide angle lens?

89coupe
02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
My company has a wellness program that allows you to expense hobbies, even camera equipment! So I'm thinking about using it to buy a new lens.

I happen to have a friend who can get me Sigma lenses for half the MSRP, so its tough not to consider one, even if they may not be as good as a Canon lens.

Which wide angle zoom lens would you choose?

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/wide-angle-zoom-lenses

AccentAE86
02-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Well, I would go with the 8-16 personally, but that's because I'm a wide angle whore! More W I D E !!!

But really, even though I love wide angle, I find a 16mm equivalent (10mm on crop) FOV to be more than adequate. So I'd probably go with a 10-20. The old variable aperture 10-20 has always gotten nice reviews. I use the Canon 10-22 and Tokina 11-16 and I haven't found the variable aperture of the 10-22 to be much of a handicap. You can handhold at ridiculously slow speeds at those focal lengths, so even at darker events I still set my 10-22 at F/5.6.

That's pretty cool that your company will refund some of your camera gear. wow, that's pretty awesome.

I've bought sigma stuff from B&H and Sigma4less.com. Cheaper, but you don't get the 10 year warranty on EX lenses that you get from buying from an authorized Sigma Canada dealer. Luckily, I haven't needed any warranty service... yet.

blitz
02-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Make sure you can still claim it under your companies rules with whatever method your buddy uses. You'll probably need an official receipt with your name on it.

89coupe
02-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by blitz
Make sure you can still claim it under your companies rules with whatever method your buddy uses. You'll probably need an official receipt with your name on it.

He's an Alberta Distributor, its all legit.

zarge
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
my sigma 10-20 took great photos, went to the nikkor and didn't notice a difference