PDA

View Full Version : car smells like gas

roodie33
01-10-2004, 08:24 AM
I have a 93 nissan maxima that smells like gas when i let it warm up in the morning, its been getting worse with the cold weather here in new england. whats the problem?

Boost Infested
01-10-2004, 09:52 AM
check your fuel lines. replace the hoses, and clamps

iRoNyX
01-10-2004, 08:51 PM
It could smell like gas because the car does in fact run on gas.

Mike09
01-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Check for leaking injector's or injector seals.

Zero102
01-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Hmm, if it's getting worse with the cold, and not time (i.e. it warms up, and the gas smell goes away) it is almost definately a seal or a hose, if the smell is strong, try to track it down, otherwise look for wet spots around injector seals, clamps on fuel hoses, fuel rails, etc.

Ducati
01-11-2004, 01:37 AM
These suggestions are all good. How old is the car?

I had that problem once. It was a tiny crack in my fuel filter. Then when it happened again many years later, it was coming from the tank itself, as a seam had split right down near the spiggot that the fuel line out of the tank and under the car. It only smelled at idle and when warming up, or after I returned to a still-warm car.
That was on a twenty year old car. Your car is too new, I suspect for that latter problem. Look for weeping by the injectors.

Hollywood
01-11-2004, 01:53 AM
Since some of these people are dumb (save a few), skip what they say. It's more likly a hose problem, either slipped/cracked/or clamp has punctured it or worn it out and u should get it taken care of asap.

If it's a seal it will come out on the intake manifold and might cause a fire if neglected.