PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Alberta Oil rig thread

bitteeinbit
02-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi,

There seems to be quite a few people here from out west who work in the oil fields. I was hoping someone could give me current info about what the job situation is there right now as a leasehand working on oil rigs. From reading a few recent threads on the subject, it seems job prospects at the moment are not that great.

Basically, I want to gather up enough money to buy a house. My current job pays around 3000$ after taxes. I have a university degree (non-related field), I'm a hard worker and I can easily endure hardship (military) don't do drugs etc.

However, I want to make sure enough money is possible to make it worth my time (away from home, flight, long hours etc). For it to be worth my time and effort, I figure I would have to clear 5000$ (4000$ would be the bare minimum whereas 6000$ would be ideal, but I think that's a little unrealistic at an entry-level position). Is that kind of money possible if one has no experience in the oil industry and works as a labourer (leasehand, roughneck)?

So, what is the current situation really like? Are my expectations outdated? Is clearing 5000-6000$/month possible? I originally wanted to head over now-ish, but people tell me the thaw is coming soon so there's no point. So I'm now wondering if heading over in late-April/early-May to do my courses (H2SAlive etc) and apply at a bunch of places would be a better idea? Or would I end up spending money and time waiting for a call back because no one is hiring eager but inexperienced people? Looking at http://careers.infooil.com it seems like some low-level jobs are available, but judging from some posts it seems like it isn't so rosy nowadays over there. Is May too early/too late to head over there?

I know I've bombarded you guys with lot's of questions, but any help is greatly appreciated.

RecoilS14
02-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Yes this post is me trying to talk you out of this idea and does not pertain to the patch for everyone. People LOVE working in it, just like I used to.

I was in the patch for 7 years and I can tell you with the utmost certainty that this is not what you want to do if you are making 3k/month with a degree.

The rigs are not a cake walk and it takes time to start making the big money. Yes, working on a rig can net you those figures and not only working on a rig. All the jobs pay top dollar but you do have to take your time and work your way up...

However, You are NEVER HOME, you have NO LIFE, everything you work hard for gets no use because you are NEVER home. So the house you are wanting to buy will rarely be used by yourself. Once you have the job on the rig and you have bought your house, it is incredibly hard to leave the job because of the pay keeps your house in your name.

1 week off every couple weeks sucks. You get to go on facebook and see all the cool and fun shit your friends were out doing while you were working. You constantly have to turn things down, You are usually working on your birthday, your friends birthday, your girlfriends, parents, etc.

Its dangerous as hell, the working conditions are gross and toxic/poisonous fumes are everywhere (sour gas, sweet gas(just as deadly), invert, etc.).

So now that I've worked out some angst and told you the bad side, here is the good side and my KEY point.

You have a degree, you have a decent paying job, and you want to buy a home. You are already on the right track. Bide your time with your current career until the pay gets to where you want it to be and you have saved up a good down payment for your purchase. If you are unhappy with your current position, look for another career your degree can help you with. The oil patch is a shitty place to be unless your working down on 3rd st somewhere or you never leave your wellsite trailer.

I loved working in the oil patch and did it for years because i loved the physical aspect of the job and the money became really good. But I also started when i was 20.

If you are dead set on going into the industry after breakup ends here are a few options for you and the type pay you can expect to start at.

All wages are subject to who, when and where you are working and whatever the fuck happens to oil since its probably only gonna get higher come summer.

Service rig: 21 - 24hr depending on who and where.
Drilling rig: 17 - 23hr for lease hand
Well tester: day rate not hourly. 150/d to start
Wireline: 17 - 20ish
Frac crew: 17 - 21
Pipeline: 17 - 20 depending on what part you work for.
Seismic: don't even bother

good luck.

P.S. Your best time to start applying mid may. You might get lucky and get on a rig that is pretty stable with its work flow and be able to work up to a better wage come winter. If you dont hear back from the companies you want to be hired by, send another resume every few weeks, you will have a job by july.

SKR
02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
1. I think you can make the money you're looking for easy enough.
2. You're right, now isn't the best time. May would probably be better. Maybe a little earlier if you want to take your courses.
3. Everyone is going to tell you to go to Nisku, and it's a good idea, but southeast Saskatchewan is flat out. Think about Estevan. There are a few drilling contractors you won't get to in Nisku, and they'll be busy. Look for:

- Canelson Drilling (http://www.canelsondrilling.com/). They bought Totem Drilling and Eagle Drilling in the last six months. Both Totem and Eagle have built two new rigs in the last year or so. Eagle (http://www.eagledrillingservices.ca/) has an ad in this month's Pipeline News (http://www.pipelinenews.ca/) looking for guys.
- Red Dog Drilling (http://reddogdrilling.ca/Red_Dog_Drilling/Home.html). They have three fairly new rigs.
- Panther Drilling (http://pantherdrilling.ca/). They also have three fairly new rigs.
- Big Sky Drilling (http://www.ensignenergy.com/). They're owned by Ensign Drilling.
- A couple other local outfits, like Advance and Lasso
- The bigger companies, like Precision, Trinidad, Stoneham, Tempco, maybe a few others.

The local drilling companies are fairly small, with a handful of rigs, and stay busy all the time. It might be tough to get in because they really like their own people down there, but if it means the difference between a rig working and not working, they might give you a chance.

Anyway, that's what I'd do. I'd rather work on new equipment with guys that take some pride in it, not some beat to shit old jalopy that spent a year in a slough bottom manned by a bunch of ham and eggers who happened to be in Nisku at the right time.

jsn
02-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Recoil, what type of work did you do? I'll be graduating in May and I've been having troubles landing a job in Calgary so I applied to a few wellsite geologist jobs. Do you know anything about that? Are the work conditions about the same (next to being away for long periods of time).

RecoilS14
02-11-2011, 12:48 AM
My main career was as a well tester and i did that mainly for the 7 years. The first 3 years was for a company called Northland Energy and I did a type drilling that is called Controlled Pressure Drilling or Underbalance Drilling. 30 meter an hour drilling speed, 5m samples. It kept you geo's pretty busy :)

I have worked on drilling and service rigs both as an employee and as bored well tester looking to help out. As a well tester you see every aspect of the work being done out there, from an empty peice of land to a compeleted well flowing down the pipeline So you learn how it all works more clearly than any other job out there if you are paying attention and have a will to learn how a well is made and why it is developed the way it is.

I should also note that I was well on my way to becoming a consultant and it was my goal, heck, i would probably be one next winter if I stuck it out, but unfortunately I got sick and tired of risking my life for a paycheck and have no plans on going back. In the end when i left the testing company i was contracting out to, I was making well over 100k/yr. I throw that out there to show that making extremely good money is obtainable no matter which aspect of the O&G industry you decide to choose. I busted my ass of 300 days of the year during the boom and I put in my time, blood, sweat and tears to be able to make that kind of coin.

Wellsite geo's have the best job out there in my opinion. You have excellent pay and a decent schedule. You rarely have to go outside if you dont want to and you can generally come and go from the site as you please if there is a camp near by and you are on top of your work. The worst part of your job is the stinky room you have to work in. Cooking up those samples can get pretty rank.

I said a lot of negative stuff in my first post, and many people will be able to tell you stories of how bad i can be. It is not all bad. I have met some of the best people in the world out there and had experiences that have changed my life for the better and worse. I have been inches from death and I have saved a life. I would never trade any of that for anything. But i would never have gone into the patch if i knew then what i know now and how much of a better life it is when you are home everyday with your family.

msommers
02-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Having worked out town in camps for almost 3 years before I went back to school, the whole life of it sucks. With graduation coming up in a couple months and downtown work looking fairly scarce, I too am reluctantly looking at wellsite positions. Knowing the money is good is really the only motivator, which before school was the only motivator as well and I hated my life. Thinking of doing that whole charade again kind of freaks me out.

Some love it and it works for them. Some do it and hate it the entire time.

In the end, it really does pay well. But what are you willing to give up?

broken_legs
02-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Having worked elsewhere in the world I can say without a doubt that conditions in the field in Canada are among the best in the world.

To the OP: Go directional.

Look up directional contractors in the COSSD.

Theres only one job easier than being a wellsite geo, thats being a contract hand MWD running an out of the box MWD tool with a single laptop.

theken
02-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by RecoilS14

Service rig: 21 - 24hr depending on who and where.
Drilling rig: 17 - 23hr for lease hand
Well tester: day rate not hourly. 150/d to start
Wireline: 17 - 20ish
Frac crew: 17 - 21
Pipeline: 17 - 20 depending on what part you work for.
Seismic: don't even bother

is that true? Or what you think wages are? Frac guys don't get paid hourly. None that I have ever met, and currently am a frac op you make way the fuck more than 17 an hour. Base salary of 3k a month with job bonuses of 500 a day.

broken_legs
02-11-2011, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by theken
is that true? Or what you think wages are? Frac guys don't get paid hourly. None that I have ever met, and currently am a frac op you make way the fuck more than 17 an hour. Base salary of 3k a month with job bonuses of 500 a day.

also noticed:

Wireline is 3000K salary + day rate 250-350 or 1-2% of job ticket

ExtraSlow
02-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Just remember that 90% of these jobs work only part of the year. So looking at daily wages isn't really very useful.

Some drilling rigs, and a lot of the associated services work only in the winter. And that's December 15th to March 15th, or less.

Realistically, you need to either have another job for the summer (golf course, farming, fishing etc) or may your full years salary in just 1/4 of the year.

In the end, making $15 in a factory or warehouse will net you more per year than most oilpatch jobs paying twice that.

I do still belive that Alberta is the place to be. There are lots of opportunites, not just out on the oil rigs. Take a drive around the industrial areas of Calgary, red Deer or Edmonton and you'll see many "help wanted" signs.

Anyway, Good luck

RecoilS14
02-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Pay rates flucuate pretty often I have been out of the industry for almost 3yrs now so That is why I said who, where and when you are working for. Yes those jobs pay that but they all dont pay that. You can tell the gentleman all the nice figures you want, but realistcly those are the figures you start at. Not all frac crews are paid salary with bonuses just like not all wireline companies pay salary or day rate. It's the difference between working for weatherford or some small start up. That small start up generally pays Bette because they want to retain the workers but the stability isn't there so they pay is not equal.

For example, I can tell him he can clear 5k a paycheck working on a service rig, but in reality he would only get that on a full two week run with overtime and working in BC. But he was looking for realism.

We are not in a boom and it's not nice to fill peoples heads with figure only for them to believe you and then go waste their time and throw away their careers.

But hey, if you guys are currently working in one of those fields and you can give current figures for new hires, feel free to throw them up. My words were not meant to be fact set in stone, but more of what he can expect.

cosmok
02-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Why do you want to buy a house OP?

We are not in a boom and it's not nice to fill peoples heads with figure only for them to believe you and then go waste their time and throw away their careers.

But hey, if you guys are currently working in one of those fields and you can give current figures for new hires, feel free to throw them up. My words were not meant to be fact set in stone, but more of what he can expect.
I'd say 81% rig utilization rate would indicate some sort of a boom. Of course that number will drop come breakup but things usually pick up towards the end of April through July.

Originally posted by jsn
Recoil, what type of work did you do? I'll be graduating in May and I've been having troubles landing a job in Calgary so I applied to a few wellsite geologist jobs. Do you know anything about that? Are the work conditions about the same (next to being away for long periods of time).
Have you looked at RPS?

bitteeinbit
02-11-2011, 10:04 AM
AAAAAAAAARG I just typed a reply and lost it all because for some reason when I tried posting.

Anyways, here it goes again:

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated.

@ Recoil: Thanks for your insight. It helps put things into perspective. Though I used to be in the military and did a tour in Afghanistan, so I'm no stranger to danger at the work place (that's a reason I left: knowing people make more $$ sitting at a desk while I'm risking my life on a daily basis). I like the physical aspect of it, but also understand the long-term effects that can have on the body.

I don't currently have a girlfriend, so I'm not attached really. I'm also aware that working in the oil sector would probably cement my single status, lol. You're also not the first person to tell me that the money becomes additive. But I'm quite disciplined. I should also mention that I'm an "experience whore" of sorts. I would't give up any of my life experiences, good or bad, for anything in the world. One of the main reasons I want to go there is the for experience, plain and simple (as stupid as it may sound).

@SKR: Thanks for the links to companies! I would't mind working for a smaller company, as it's usually the kind of place where you an become closer to people than a company with 1000 employees.

@ Broken legs: What's "directional" and what does the job imply? Do you need any special training to be a Frac Op or well tester? What's a wireline? Do they take leasehands on Shale gas sites as well? Sorry if some of my questions sound retarded, as I have really no idea about how the oil/natural gas industry works.

I also don't mind working in BC or what type of job I get (gas/oil etc). All that matters is finding a job QUICKLY (relatively speaking) that pays decent (~5000$ net would be nice). Working only part of the year wouldn't bother me as I could find a job back home or maybe go live abroad during off months.

Given some of the comments, would it be wiser for me to go for a short stint first, to see if I 'like it" and to determine if I think I could do it for a longer time? For example, head over in late April with very few belongings, get my courses done and find a job. then come back in mid September or so (I figure that's when it starts slowing down). Then if I thought the benefits of the experience outweighed the negative aspects of it, I would head back in November/December. Of course, this would imply NOT having a car and living as cheaply as possible (cheap motels if I have a job or rent out the cheapest possible place). Would it be a better idea to start off?

Pinner
02-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

To the OP: Go directional.

Do you really think a guy that has never set eyes on a drilling rig is going to get hired on for directional / MWD work ?

cosmok, An 81% utilization rate in February is not a boom, and those numbers will be dropping like a stone come March.

theken, Frac operators rarely make 500/day bonuses, a few years ago they were one of the lowest paid workers in the patch, thanks to multi stage fracking they are now making some easy money. But for how long ? I predict the multi stage bonuses will be scaled back.

It's pretty much too late for a green hand this season, maybe in the summer if it's busy.

My advise would be to get all your tickets, warm clothes/boots maybe a class 1 license ( if you have that type of talent) and come out west next summer/fall.

mslbebiz
02-11-2011, 10:47 PM
A couple points:

I agree that if you're already doing well for yourself where you are (ie $3k/mth clear) -- especially if you're living somewhere with a lower cost of living than here -- you should stick it out where you are and advance your career.

It's not cheap to live here, and although you can get very high paying jobs in some cases even with no prior experience, you give up A LOT. And yes, a lot of it is dangerous work and job stability can be very unstable.

If you're absolutely dead-set on this idea, I would also recommend southern Saskatchewan. They're very busy down there and the cost of living is significantly cheaper.

Hope that helps.

Q-TIP
02-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by jsn

I am a wellsite geo and I will be honest with you the working conditions are pretty damn good. I always have a queen sized bed, have always been able to bring my dog with me. I go snowshoeing every day in the winter and bring my bicycle with a stationary trainer so I am actually getting into the best shape of my life!

Between the months of November and March I average about 15-18 days in the field per month. I have a drilling program lined up for the summer that will net me about 8 days of work per month from June until August. I have decided to take April and May off entirely (not much work anyways) and will be spending 32 days in Europe. It is pretty easy to make around 65-75 thousand dollars between September and March even if you are just starting out.

It does suck when I miss certain things, but I really think the time off during the summer far out-weighs missing a couple of birthday parties (to me). Starting out you should expect to do one or two wells (8-15 days) of free labour, after that you should get paid a minimum of $350 per day plus at least $100 per day for your minimum mileage (non-taxable), $50 per day for your food expenses, $50 per day for communication costs, $50 per day if you are on a rig that uses invert mud (oil based drilling fluid), and $50 for monitoring (ie. calling Pason when something goes wrong) the gas detector. The day rate increases rapidly as you get more experience. Expect closer to $500 per day by the end of your first year.

It isn't a glamorous job, but for work/life balance I feel like I get more time to do the things I love now than I did working as a geo in town.

broken_legs
02-12-2011, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Pinner

Do you really think a guy that has never set eyes on a drilling rig is going to get hired on for directional / MWD work ?

yes. Baker, Hal, WFT, SLB, will hire you and train you as an MWD with ZERO oilfield experience provided you have a uni degree.

BUt he needs to learn how to google all of the gold terms we are dropping in this thread and learn himself up on the industry cause i doubt anyone is going to sit here and explain the details of every single oilfield profession to him online.

:thumbsup:

Q-TIP
02-12-2011, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

yes. Baker, Hal, WFT, SLB, will hire you and train you as an MWD with ZERO oilfield experience provided you have a uni degree.

BUt he needs to learn how to google all of the gold terms we are dropping in this thread and learn himself up on the industry cause i doubt anyone is going to sit here and explain the details of every single oilfield profession to him online.

:thumbsup:

I know for a fact Compass will too.

msommers
02-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Tyler were required to have your own truck or was there an option of using a company vehicle?

Q-TIP
02-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Depends on who you work for. I am working semi-independently so I needed to have my own truck, however if you work for a company that hires wellsite geos directly (Norwest Corp comes to mind) they often provide transport.

All you really need is a small SUV or pickup with 4WD (cars can make it usually but it's better to be safe than sorry). I know a few guys that just snagged some 1999-2001 explorers for 3-4 grand and had them paid off just by using the mileage after two wells ($1.00-1.20/km with a minimum charge of 100km per day).

As long as you don't care if your work truck isn't super baller it will make you enormous amounts of money, you don't get mileage if you use a company truck. I paid off the remainder of my truck loan this winter using mileage charges.

slinkie
02-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Q-TIP
Depends on who you work for. I am working semi-independently so I needed to have my own truck, however if you work for a company that hires wellsite geos directly (Norwest Corp comes to mind) they often provide transport.

All you really need is a small SUV or pickup with 4WD (cars can make it usually but it's better to be safe than sorry). I know a few guys that just snagged some 1999-2001 explorers for 3-4 grand and had them paid off just by using the mileage after two wells ($1.00-1.20/km with a minimum charge of 100km per day).

As long as you don't care if your work truck isn't super baller it will make you enormous amounts of money, you don't get mileage if you use a company truck. I paid off the remainder of my truck loan this winter using mileage charges.

Who do you know at compass?

msommers
02-13-2011, 12:27 AM
If I end up doing wellsite, maybe I'll do pick up an exploder or a 4Runner. Lemme know when you're in town next, have a beer and chit chat about this stuff more.

Q-TIP
02-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by slinkie

Who do you know at compass?

I've worked with Paul Heer, Adam Melanson, Ryan Taylor, Chris Stace-Smith, I'm currently working with Dean Breeze. Few other guys as well but not any time recently.

For sure Matt, I'll be back in town sometime around Tuesday-Wednesday. I think I have managed to snag another well that starts Friday though. I wanted to get another 10 days in before spring here so I can't go hog-wild in Europe.

johnboy27
02-13-2011, 02:26 AM

cosmok, An 81% utilization rate in February is not a boom, and those numbers will be dropping like a stone come March.

theken, Frac operators rarely make 500/day bonuses, a few years ago they were one of the lowest paid workers in the patch, thanks to multi stage fracking they are now making some easy money. But for how long ? I predict the multi stage bonuses will be scaled back.

It's pretty much too late for a green hand this season, maybe in the summer if it's busy.

My advise would be to get all your tickets, warm clothes/boots maybe a class 1 license ( if you have that type of talent) and come out west next summer/fall.
Pinner, multi stage frac is the only thing you will see in the future. There is no way they will be able to cut the bonus's.
We don't do all multi stage fracs in one day. Most jobs are one zones a day and a wireline pump down after the frac. The next day the other shift comes in and does the next frac etc. All frac companies are hurting for guys right now, there is not one frac company in Alberta right now that is not desperate for guys. All of our new guys that started last January made about 80k minimum last year. All we do are multi stage fracs, every job is a project in todays oil patch. The day they start trying to roll bonus's back will be the day guys start to walk, I know I would .
I can't think of any frac companies that do not pay salary plus bonus's right now. In the US the companies pay hourly but not here in Canada.

Supa Dexta
02-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Every position in the patch in the past has said that^ .. Guess what? Rates get cut, guys walk, and someone eventually fills their place.. Especially as that job becomes 'the norm'

... But hold onto that hope!...

Pinner
02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27

Pinner, multi stage frac is the only thing you will see in the future.

Yes, I understand, however necessity is the Mother of all invention.

The massive amounts of fresh water being used is clearly unsustainable. The costs associated with handling the water before and after the fracs are enormous. Disposal costs including trucking are around $30/M3 or more, do the math, that's a crazy amount of money.

Fracking with LPG makes sense, I wonder how far off is the use of laser technology for fracking??

There is no way they will be able to cut the bonus's.

Frac companies have earned a very bad reputation in the industry, with good reason, hence the recruitment issues.

theken said the guys were getting 500/day plus salary, that is a ridiculous amount of money to pay basically unskilled labour. You mentioned $80,000 yr. for new guys, and camp costs/travel expenses etc. that is a lot of money for unskilled labour.

Gas prices are low and will stay that way for a very long time. The oil companies will be trying to cut their costs of fracking and I think frac companies will have to get their costs down.

Shell and Talisman should sign a long term contract with a frac company and then they could set up a big shop in Fort St. John.

With two huge drilling programs near Fort St. John and what's going on around Dawson, guys could buy a house and have a life. Pay a good hourly wage and treat the guys well. Recruitment issues over.

My .02

Edited to add: I forgot to mention the frac sand, 4000 ton per well bore...Anybody know where this frac sand comes from ?

RecoilS14
02-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Frac sand is engineered and not found, they can keep making it no problem.

The water is the huge issue and most oil companies have begun to look into portable desalination to help curb the costs of trucking in and out a couple thousand cubes to places like ccs.

The majorty of the water that goes in, comes out and is cleaned and reused.
It just takes a lot of extra energy and cost to get it cleaned out.

Impreza
02-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Q-TIP

It is soooooo easy to pay off your truck using mileage. I much rather buy my own truck and have the mileage pay for it than get a company car and not get any money for driving. When I got my wellsite geo job, I was looking at cheaper options for a truck, but I ended up getting a brand new truck with all the goodies. It is expensive, but well worth it IMO. I spend so much time driving that I figure I might as well enjoy the drive instead of driving some piece of shit and worrying about things breaking down. I don't dread the drive as much haha. To each their own, if you are ok with an older truck, I say go for it. You would make a killing on mileage alone.

ExtraSlow
02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Frac sand is engineered and not found, they can keep making it no problem. I thought the majority of the frac sand was found, like in gravel pits etc?
I know they have synthetic proppants, but I was under the impression those were for exotic applications.
I'm not on the completions side, so I could be wrong.

badatusrnames
02-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Frac sand is engineered and not found, they can keep making it no problem.

The water is the huge issue and most oil companies have begun to look into portable desalination to help curb the costs of trucking in and out a couple thousand cubes to places like ccs.

The majorty of the water that goes in, comes out and is cleaned and reused.
It just takes a lot of extra energy and cost to get it cleaned out.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I thought the majority of the frac sand was found, like in gravel pits etc?
I know they have synthetic proppants, but I was under the impression those were for exotic applications.
I'm not on the completions side, so I could be wrong.

The majority of frac sand is mined from pits, the properties need to be very specific in terms of crush strength, mesh size, and sphericity. Not just any old sand will do, so it can be tough to find proper stuff. For the NEBC shale gas stuff, companies have been importing it by the train load from as far away as Texas, Ontario, etc.

Finding suitable proppant will likely become a big issue. As the good stuff becomes more scarce, it's expected that synthetics are going to start competing with the natural stuff on price. There's a economy of scale thing there too. Right now synthetics are mostly used in exotic applications, so the market isn't huge for them yet.

badatusrnames
02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
The massive amounts of fresh water being used is clearly unsustainable. The costs associated with handling the water before and after the fracs are enormous. Disposal costs including trucking are around $30/M3 or more, do the math, that's a crazy amount of money.

For the major projects, a lot of companies are going to be moving towards using underground, non-potable saline water from source wells as their frac water, and then using the same zones to dispose of used water. That's what the Encana/Apache JV in Horn River's doing. IIRC, most of the pads will be served by water pipelines as well to eliminate trucking.

As far as costs go... well these shale gas projects are all about scale, big money spent to get big reserves of gas.

Fracking with LPG makes sense, I wonder how far off is the use of laser technology for fracking??

LPG makes sense for the right application. LPG, acid fracs, energized CO2, N2, diesel, kerosene, gel water, slick water. They've all been around for a while and the fluid used depends on the application. There's a reason companies use water for the fracs they do - it's the best and most cost effective (technically and on a ROR basis) for their specific application. It isn't about one type replacing the other. LPG likely won't replace slick water where it's used now and vice versa.

As per above, companies will and should get their water from more sustainable sources if they can because using water makes the most sense for their completion.

Not so sure about the lasers...

Gas prices are low and will stay that way for a very long time. The oil companies will be trying to cut their costs of fracking and I think frac companies will have to get their costs down.

Shell and Talisman should sign a long term contract with a frac company and then they could set up a big shop in Fort St. John.

All the big players - company side and service provider side have done all of this already. Google the big frac operators, many of them have signed big deals with the companies and have all built big bases and added HP in the big shale gas basins. These projects are all about economies of scale, the more activity, the more you can lower your costs on a per unit basis. Bringing costs down has been something industry has aggressively pursued with the low prices. These strategic deals are all an important part of that.

Q-TIP
02-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Impreza

It is soooooo easy to pay off your truck using mileage. I much rather buy my own truck and have the mileage pay for it than get a company car and not get any money for driving. When I got my wellsite geo job, I was looking at cheaper options for a truck, but I ended up getting a brand new truck with all the goodies. It is expensive, but well worth it IMO. I spend so much time driving that I figure I might as well enjoy the drive instead of driving some piece of shit and worrying about things breaking down. I don't dread the drive as much haha. To each their own, if you are ok with an older truck, I say go for it. You would make a killing on mileage alone.

The only issue with a new truck for someone just out of school is that they might already have a decent car and can't afford a brand-new vehicle right off the bat. I have always been a truck guy with cars as side-hobbies so it made sense to me to buy a new truck. I think Matt already has a nice car so a cheap truck to get him started might be good. Buy an older truck for $4-6000 bucks, use it until you get established or want to quit then sell it for $3-5000 bucks. In the end you still make money on it.

msommers
02-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Hmm true. Good point.

bitteeinbit
02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Looks like there's almost more work in being a frac guy. I'm still debating it, but I should also say that I work on contract as well. I have a contract lined up around June or possibly May until September (I can cancel no problem). So if I head out it would replace my current contract. So yeah, I make decent money but it's not that stable either. I've checked out Ensign and they look nice. Southern Sask might also be a good option, thanks for the info.

I've done a lot of searching and few of the courses can be taken in my area, meaning I'll have to take them out West. Is there a long wait-time for these courses (meaning, I need to be book a spot several weeks in advance) or do they run fairly frequently and I can just hop onto one within a few days or a week?

Some companies only seem to ask for H2SAlive while others ask for WHMIS and a Well Service Blowout Prevention Certificate. What's the "minimum" that I should get?

Lastly, has anyone ever heard of someone getting hired as a leasehand before heading over there? If it's actually possible, that would add that much security, but I doubt they would do that. A guy I know says it's better to search online instead of just showing up, but he's got experience so I figure it's a different matter. I've got a good CV but I've rarely heard of anyone being hired for anything without a proper interview, even if it's just to see that said applicant isn't a crackhead.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

mslbebiz
02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
You can get into courses very quickly. I've booked in with as little as 2 days notice.

Minimum I'd get is H2S and First Aid w/ CPR C to show them you're serious. Usually WHMIS, TDG, CSTS/PST are done through the company, and company specific. IE after you're hired on. I know, it makes no sense as they usually have it listed as a requirement.

If you want more security knowing you may have a job before you come out, call up some places and talk to their hiring managers. Again, show them you're serious and let them know you're coming out and would like the opportunity of an interview when you get there.

dub_c
02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
I worked for Red Dog out of Estevan last year, Wayne knows how to take care of his men, and the pushes are stand up. I was on rig 1, which was the hardest out of them, and it didnt even seem like it.

They're a smaller company, but they look after their staff, no matter when. If you come to Sask, go talk to them, the guys actually help you out and give guidance, not yell around.

slinkie
02-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by mslbebiz
You can get into courses very quickly. I've booked in with as little as 2 days notice.

If you're booking at enform don't wait too long, I signed up for one and got like a 10 business day wait. They are getting busy atm

broken_legs
02-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Word enform is busy.

Just finished 1st line @ Enform

They must have run 3 H2S Alive classes through the classroom next to mine fucking annoying...

Some stupid woman yelling at people while they are playing with the purge all day long :facepalm:

Supa Dexta
02-19-2011, 08:46 AM
A few courses you can do online, whimis, tdg, etc.. So if you need those don't bother sitting in a class room for a day.

Also PST doesnt expire now, so dont lose your copy.

ExtraSlow
02-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Do most companies need PST? I was looking for a tour of a Nexen site last winter, and they asked me about it. My Company doesn't require it, so I don't have it. Took a few phone calls back to town to get that smoothed over.

Supa Dexta
02-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Nah, I think the only one thats asked me for it the last couple yrs was devon. And not even on different sites.. Jackfish I think it was, was the only one.

RecoilS14
02-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Do not spend your money on the Blowout Prevention Course. That is a course that is required for Drillers and above. Rig companies will pay for that when you get higher up.

ExtraSlow
02-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Supa, that's Hilarious. I work for Devon, I had no idea we required PST for any site. Although Jackfish kinda operates like it's own company.

Pinner
02-19-2011, 05:35 PM
That PST course is awful, it's designed for green as grass workers. It's done on a puter, get this, it's about 6 hr's IIRC and you can't skip ahead. It's mind numbing !

And don't pay for it.

bitteeinbit
02-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Would you say that having a car is a necessary prerequisite for a job?

I'd rather not splurge on a car (even an old banged up one) unless absolutely necessary. Given that most camp jobs aren't given to non-tradesmen, I imagine a car would make life a lot easier (I assume even non-camp jobs are a bit out of the way). Hopefully I could get a place (motel room, or rent a room) right near the workplace, carpool with someone who drives along the way and pay for all their gas, but that may be somewhat annoying to them.

broken_legs
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by bitteeinbit
Would you say that having a car is a necessary prerequisite for a job?

I'd rather not splurge on a car (even an old banged up one) unless absolutely necessary. Given that most camp jobs aren't given to non-tradesmen, I imagine a car would make life a lot easier (I assume even non-camp jobs are a bit out of the way). Hopefully I could get a place (motel room, or rent a room) right near the workplace, carpool with someone who drives along the way and pay for all their gas, but that may be somewhat annoying to them.

If you are on a rig, you may have to drive to location. If you aren't an ass you could probably catch a ride with one of the other rig crew assuming they lived near you.

Any other service job, you don't need a ride. Show up at the office/shop/airport and you're in company vehicles, camp, hotel the rest of the way.

Wait until you get a job then figure it out.

theken
02-22-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm with cal frac and have been doing max bonus out of drayton for my whole last hitch, and am currently here again. 475 a day + + I wouldn't say frac is unskilled labor either, there is a fucking lot of stuff going on, and you have to be a damn good truck driver.

Pinner
02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by theken
and you have to be a damn good truck driver.

That is priceless... LoL

The words "Frac crew M/T @ whatever km" sends a shiver down any experienced oil patch driver's spine Lol

Frac crews are the absolute worst truck drivers in the patch. Most of them have little to no experience before they get the job.

johnboy27
02-22-2011, 09:46 PM

That is priceless... LoL

The words "Frac crew M/T @ whatever km" sends a shiver down any experienced oil patch driver's spine Lol

Frac crews are the absolute worst truck drivers in the patch. Most of them have little to no experience before they get the job.
Funny, aren't you a fluid hauler/water hauler. You guys have the same reputation , you are just in denial.
I would have to say that right now we have alot of inexperienced guys but in the past our frac strings have been made up of a high percentage of experienced drivers. As for the shivers down your spine, is that because you are afraid you may have to give a little bit of the crown to somebody else and stop hogging the whole road? LOL

broken_legs
02-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Driving around Nsku today:

PAtterson Drilling has a sign out for Drillers through Floor Hands Wanted

Baker HUghes is hiring

Lots of other places with signs too...

Supa Dexta
02-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Havent been paying attention, but savannah also has a sign out.

bitteeinbit
02-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah Savannah has had some ads on infooil for a few days now, both in Alberta and Sask. I looked them up and they seem like a good company. No use for me going all the way out there now though, there's probably like 1-1.5 month left of work before the thaw. I'm pretty much decided now: I'll buy a one-way ticket in late April and hopefully companies will have started posting "wanted" signs out again... *crosses fingers*
Still not 100% decided on whether to go to Southern Sask or Northern Alberta. I figure there are more jobs in Alberta, but also probably more workers, and the thaw might happen earlier in Sask given the latitude.

Pinner
02-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Southern Saskatchewan is a hot spot because it's oil, Nat Gas is going to be a cool market for quite some time.

Pinner
02-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Funny, aren't you a fluid hauler/water hauler. You guys have the same reputation , you are just in denial.
I would have to say that right now we have alot of inexperienced guys but in the past our frac strings have been made up of a high percentage of experienced drivers. As for the shivers down your spine, is that because you are afraid you may have to give a little bit of the crown to somebody else and stop hogging the whole road? LOL

Funny

4DoorGTZ
02-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Supa, that's Hilarious. I work for Devon, I had no idea we required PST for any site. Although Jackfish kinda operates like it's own company.

off topic: Leaving Pike camp in the morning, been hanging around Jackfish/Pike for a year now. I just want to go back to staying in hotels :( (Land Surveyor)

on topic: Other then Devon Shell was also a stickler for PST.

ExtraSlow
02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
going even further of topic, what are you doing for Pike? I'm one of the Pike drilling engineers.

Graham_A_M
02-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Whats a locally placed "RIGGER" This is the responsibilties posted on a site.

Its like WTF? I've never heard of a non-camp based "Rigger" before. I just wanted to ask here before applying for it, as if it turns out to be some hellish job that I didn't know about.

# Will be Prompt and on Time
# Will Represent Flint Energy Services Ltd. by conducting themselves in a professional manner
# Will Understands Flint’s Work Place and Respect Policy
# Will Participate in the Behavior Based Observation program
# Will be responsible to maintain training tickets
# Will have a positive attitude ( we are all responsible for team Moral)
# Will have complete knowledge on Flint Energy Services Ltd. Employee Safety and Best Practices Handbook
# Will have an understanding of Flint Energy Services Ltd. Safety management System
# Will Attend and participate in Toolbox meetings as required
# Will Attend Monthly Safety meetings as required
# Have a good general knowledge regarding OH&S requirements and apply this knowledge to the work.
# Will know the location of all assembly or evacuation points, Shower and Eye Wash Stations, and Wind Direction in the area of work
# Ensure all paper work is completed and documented on the work being planned in your area.
Are any Red Deer or Medicine Hat divisions hiring personelle for the frac division? I just want something with day work only, I hate rotating schedules or night work with a passion (and because Im diabetic, and it fucks up my schedules)

Big thanks in advance.

VVV JDM VVV
02-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Im looking to get on with a well servicing company after chasing a career in instrumentation for a while. I got a hook up in the coil tubing division with Schlumberger. Anyone here have any experience in CT ?

johnboy27
02-27-2011, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Whats a locally placed "RIGGER" This is the responsibilties posted on a site.

Its like WTF? I've never heard of a non-camp based "Rigger" before. I just wanted to ask here before applying for it, as if it turns out to be some hellish job that I didn't know about.

Are any Red Deer or Medicine Hat divisions hiring personelle for the frac division? I just want something with day work only, I hate rotating schedules or night work with a passion (and because Im diabetic, and it fucks up my schedules)

Big thanks in advance.
I know Sanjel and Calfrac in Red deer are hiring but if you are only looking for day work you are out of luck. Fracturing has become a 24 hour a day thinig within the last couple of years. We usually run 2x12 hour crews on most projects. 95% of our work in the last couple of years has been project work. I may have spent 3-4 hitches around home in the last year or two. Everything else has been in Horne river B.C or near Dawson Creek and Fort St John B.C.

If this stuff doesn't bother you and you have a class 1 license then you have a decent chance of getting hired. Pay has gotten substantially better in the past couple of years with the increased amount of project work and spring break up has become a thing of the past for the most part.

Nav13
04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
I probably should have started another thread for this question but it might work here. So I finished my first project as a well site geo and now I need to send in my invoice to the company. I've already got a corporation set up my question is in regards to Workers compensation. The rig I worked on was out in BC, so do I buy Workers compensation in BC or Alberta? I've done some research and came up with this

http://www.wcb.ab.ca/pdfs/employers/EFS_Out_of_province_coverage.pdf

So I am pretty sure I'll be fine with just buying it in Alberta, but I just wanted to make sure with anyone who has already had experience with this stuff.

revelations
04-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ

off topic: Leaving Pike camp in the morning, been hanging around Jackfish/Pike for a year now. I just want to go back to staying in hotels :( (Land Surveyor)

Off topic, how is the LS work around the oil patch these days? Lots? Dwindling?

cosmok
04-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
I probably should have started another thread for this question but it might work here. So I finished my first project as a well site geo and now I need to send in my invoice to the company. I've already got a corporation set up my question is in regards to Workers compensation. The rig I worked on was out in BC, so do I buy Workers compensation in BC or Alberta? I've done some research and came up with this

http://www.wcb.ab.ca/pdfs/employers/EFS_Out_of_province_coverage.pdf

So I am pretty sure I'll be fine with just buying it in Alberta, but I just wanted to make sure with anyone who has already had experience with this stuff.
Where ever your company is based out of is the jurisdiction you get coverage from.