PDA

View Full Version : P90X Anyone?

hamburgler
02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Ive been doing these workouts for about 2 months now off and on. I took about 10 days off at X Mas. Some hate it, but Im liking it so far. I plan to to keep doing it as much as I can. Post your before/after pic - Ill start.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/hamburgler39/P90X.jpg

gqmw
02-10-2011, 11:50 PM
nice man...some good results you got there...keep up the good work :thumbsup:

scboss
02-11-2011, 01:05 AM
I did p90x before and i was never so ripped in my life man. Good results for sure bro

Dumbass17
02-11-2011, 05:57 AM
2 months? fuck man, good job! good for you!

i haven't ever tried P90x besides the Ab Ripper X. i love it but i hate it

natejj
02-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Nice results! Have you been following the p90 diet too, or sort of just doing your own thing for food?

3drian
02-11-2011, 10:37 AM
awesome results ill post mine i did it before xmas but then went crazy, ill start after my trip to dominican next week.. one question for you though.. how good was ur diet during those 2 months?

soccernut
02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I did it twice back-to-back a year ago...I did it religiously including following the nutrition plan...I got some amazing results.. best shape of my life in terms of looks, strength and endurance... I still do the work outs but I change them up to keep things fresh.

I recommended to all my friends, all of them found it hard to stick with it for longer than a week. It does take some serious commitment

403Gemini
02-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by soccernut
I did it twice back-to-back a year ago...I did it religiously including following the nutrition plan...I got some amazing results.. best shape of my life in terms of looks, strength and endurance... I still do the work outs but I change them up to keep things fresh.

I recommended to all my friends, all of them found it hard to stick with it for longer than a week. It does take some serious commitment

I'd say after week 2 it gets much easier. But yeah, you just have to accept it's a lifestyle change and dedicate that solid hour or so to working out.

When I started I was a skinny fat dude (gut with small arms) and after a month I shedded about 20 lbs.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh233/cryage/progressmonth01.jpg

I did it for another month and got down to 183 and was pretty fit. I really should start it again... right now I stay around 180-185 by just making conscious choices to eat healthier and working out about 30 min a day.

Skyline_Addict
02-11-2011, 12:50 PM
good results Wayne. losin' those love handlesssssssss

403Gemini
02-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
good results Wayne. losin' those love handlesssssssss

Yeah I got a lot less chunky and look decent in a wife beater now haha

hamburgler
02-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by natejj
Nice results! Have you been following the p90 diet too, or sort of just doing your own thing for food?

I glanced at the P90x diet to get a basic idea - but have mostly been doing my own thing. Basically I now eat about 10% of the bread I used to eat. I only have about 1 beer a week, compared to 3-5 before. I'll have a Tim Hortons double double maybe 2-3 x a month and its now medium compared to a large and no donut. Being a student I used to have a large double double and donut every day at school. I don't drink pop and rarely eat junk food.

For lunch and dinner I have been eating a lot of chicken breast, rice and veggies. One of my favorites has been frying up a chicken breast with garlic, onion, green and red peppers and soy sauce and then pouring that over white or brown rice. I have that about 3 times a week. Its easy plus I usually have left overs for lunch. Ill have some type of meat every day or tofu with a bunch of veggies.

Breakfast consists of banana, yogurt, 1 peice of toast, eggs, no bacon. 2-3 times a week Ill make a 1.5L smoothie with orange juice, banana, yogurt, and frozen fruit. It has to taste good and be easy to make.

During and after a work out Ive been using this:

http://www.gasparinutrition.com/products/sizeon-max-performance/

I always have a good meal within an hour as well. If I'm ever hungry I will always eat something good not try and starve myself lol. Thats basically it.

hamburgler
02-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by soccernut

It takes a lot of commitment for sure! I could hardly follow the program at first but I just did as many reps as I could and did my best to keep up. It gets easier every day tho. Some of the exercises I dont like so I just do something I do like while they are doing that other set on TV.

C_Dave45
02-20-2011, 12:09 PM
I might just have to give this a try. My strength has been increasing satisfactorily, but I'm slowly creeping up on the weight. I started at 215 with no strength. Dropped down to 183, but as my lifts increased, so did the weight. I'm sure its not bad weight (more muscle than fat) but I'm now up to 205. And not happy with the belly. So I thought I'd try cutting and try this P90X routine. Hopefully the strength part will stay as well. Downloading the entire P90x dvd's right now.

Big_Fat
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
i just got everything in the mail today. all the supplements and resistance bands and will be starting this tomorrow. i was doing the workouts that didnt require any equipment for about 2 weeks just to try it while i was waiting for everything. i started eating alot better drinking water all hours of the day like i usually do. lost about 15 pounds in 2 weeks. im about 250lbs right now so this has been a really hard lifestyle change for me. glad i found some local support!

JRSC00LUDE
02-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Jesus Adam, you're not going to need an engine hoist soon....just reach in and pick it up!

cdnsir
02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Big_Fat
i just got everything in the mail today. all the supplements and resistance bands and will be starting this tomorrow. i was doing the workouts that didnt require any equipment for about 2 weeks just to try it while i was waiting for everything. i started eating alot better drinking water all hours of the day like i usually do. lost about 15 pounds in 2 weeks. im about 250lbs right now so this has been a really hard lifestyle change for me. glad i found some local support!

15 in 2 weeks!? That's impressive! Good job man!

After finishing this last summer, then changing to stronglift 5x5 for a few months, I restarted this again back in January. From round 1 last year, I found out this program works a bit too well in burning my fat off, to a point where I actually lost muscle mass from it.. So this time around, I'm eating a TON more. It's going pretty good so far, gained about 5lbs without increasing my body fat%.

Also picked up a chinup bar and a yoga mat so I won't have to go to the gym 6 times a week. The walks are nice in the summer, but they became more of an excuse during cold winter months.

403Gemini
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
It really is amazing how not eating chips and cutting pop can cut off your weight. I think the biggest thing to me was cutting pop since I used to drink like 2-3 cans of coke a day. Now I just drink water exclusively and it keeps a lot of the weight off.

hamburgler
02-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Big_Fat

Keep us posted dude. Post a before/after pic at 30 days if you want. It's super hard work, but the first 2 weeks are the worst. Try your hardest not to get off track! Hows it going so far?

E36M3
02-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Incredible results. I did my first round of P90X last year, and it was a really great experience. I am going to do my second round shortly.

It is a fantastic program, very complete and really delivers. Like anything else, though, you get out of it what you put in.. and it is not easy.

Dumbass17
02-28-2011, 06:01 AM
p90x is really based for more at-home workouts eh?

hamburgler
03-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Well Im almost at 3 months now. I keep feeling stronger, but not a whole lot difference in looks. I think I have built more muscle mass in my upper body though - at least Im not struggling on 6-8 reps anymore. My body weight has dropped 5-10 lbs since day 1.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/hamburgler39/3Months.jpg

Xamim
03-02-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm about a week into it and I'm liking it so far. Are you guys using the recovery drink? If so, is it any good?

JAYMEZ
03-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Awesome results dude!! Never tried P90x , but looks like it works!

Jonel
03-02-2011, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Xamim
I'm about a week into it and I'm liking it so far. Are you guys using the recovery drink? If so, is it any good?

A friend of mine recommended glutamine with some water post workout. Does the job just fine of keeping the soreness to a minimum .. except after Plyo days.

Dumbass17
03-02-2011, 05:20 AM
that's 3 months?! fuck dude! nice work

hamburgler
03-02-2011, 09:19 AM

Im not using the P90x recovery, just the one in one of the links I posted above. Its called Size On and used during the workout.

hamburgler
03-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Cool! Are you doing the classic (chest and arms, legs and back, shoulders and arms)?

Xamim
03-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Yep, doing the classic. Just want to get back into shape, last time I had any serious exercise was grade 10 gym class haha. If I lose a few pounds along the way, even better.

Thanks for the recommendations on the drinks. Might have to pick something up on the weekend. I was just eating a banana after every work out haha.

legendboy
03-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Would you guys recommend an out of shape smoker start with P90 instead of P90x?

Doing some reading has given me that impression.

TorqueDog
03-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by legendboy

Doing some reading has given me that impression. Start with the P90X anyway, and do as much as you can. Push yourself, but don't feel too bad if you don't finish the workouts for the first week. Then you just build from there.

E36M3
03-16-2011, 10:30 AM
I would definitely start with P90. Most of the people that I know who have started P90X that have not come from a base of being really fit have ended up being injured. I wouldn't rush into it, and P90 is still very good.

At a bare minimum, do the full fitness test before P90X to assess where you are at and if you do go ahead with P90X, don't feel bad if it is too much and you end up going with P90 anyway.. as said above, it is something that you can ease into, and you will probably not be able to keep up for the first few days/weeks anyway, but you will dramatically improve very quickly.

After all, this is hopefully a way to get in shape for life, so adding another 90 day program in at the beginning is no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Originally posted by legendboy

Doing some reading has given me that impression.

cdnsir
03-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Do the P90x test just to get a feel for things, see if you got what it takes. If you think you can handle it, I say just dive right into P90x.

You don't have to follow the videos to the tee. If they do 30 pushups, and you can only do 10, then stop at 10. If the 25lbs that they use is too heavy, use 15lbs.

If you're tanked, pause the video but keep moving so you don't cool down too much. Then when you're ready, go right back at it. The beauty of this program is it allows you to make it as intense as you want to make it.

hamburgler
03-19-2011, 01:54 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking regarding P90 and P90x... same thing. Anyways P90x or whatever you want to call it works great. I took some back pics a few weeks ago. They look better than they are because I wasn't flexing on day 1 - regardless of the workout you will see results in your chest and back.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/hamburgler39/back.jpg

chathamf
03-19-2011, 09:58 AM
There is a difference between P90x and P90x. P90 is a lot easier and was developed for a more general audience and was out before P90x. P90x is a lot harder and better IMO.

I would say just jump right in and try the P90x and see how it goes. There are a ton of videos of extremely fat, bad off people doing it and working miracles. The first two weeks are going to be HARD. I wasn't in that bad of shape when I started and I could barely move. I'd have to roll myself off the couch because my whole body hurt so bad. But after a couple weeks the pain wasn't that bad and I started to see great results.

Unfortunetly for me I got injured after a month (which had nothing to do with the training, just my own stupidity away from a workout). I'm going to start again in April and hopefully be in good shape come summer. I wouldn't say there is a big injury risk factor with it either. Just push yourself to your own limits, you should know when you should stop and or what you shouldn't do. It's impossible to keep up with the video so just do what you can.

Feruk
03-23-2011, 03:42 PM
I've had the videos for a couple years now but only did the sporadic occasional workout. I wanna start the full deal Monday, but find I am missing some equipment. Any recommendations for what to get for in-home chin ups (I'm in a rental place so can't make any holes)? As well, what would you guys recommend for weights for arm days? A couple compact things would be nice as I don't want to have to buy a couple dozen weights.

I'd like to get fully into it (with maybe changing out the Kenpo to a 5km jog), just I don't wanna be at the gym 3 times a week if I can do it from home.

Also, would you guys recommend doing it right after work (before dinner), or after dinner?

E36M3
03-23-2011, 04:08 PM
If you are looking to spend as little as possible, the resistance bands work great. You can get a set of three different strengths for less than $50. If you want to spend a little bit more and like using weights, get an adjustable set. I've got Powerblocks, and they are excellent. They make it very easy to change the amount of weight you are using during a workout and have nice grips, etc:

http://www.powerblock.com/

For a pull up bar, go to a fitness warehouse type place and take a look at your options.

I bought a stand alone trapeze style setup that is pricey but light and portable:

http://trapezerigging.com/FreeStandingPortablePullupBar/

You can get many different styles of basic ones for $30-$80 or so.

Originally posted by Feruk
I've had the videos for a couple years now but only did the sporadic occasional workout. I wanna start the full deal Monday, but find I am missing some equipment. Any recommendations for what to get for in-home chin ups (I'm in a rental place so can't make any holes)? As well, what would you guys recommend for weights for arm days? A couple compact things would be nice as I don't want to have to buy a couple dozen weights.

I'd like to get fully into it (with maybe changing out the Kenpo to a 5km jog), just I don't wanna be at the gym 3 times a week if I can do it from home.

Also, would you guys recommend doing it right after work (before dinner), or after dinner?

chathamf
03-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

Yea man, your best bet is going with the bands that beach body make if you don't want to dish out the coin for the powerblocks. You'll get more size increase with weights, but the bands will do the job. I just bought a basic door frame bar from Crappy Tire, but it wouldn't work anywhere in my house, so I built a sick pull up bar in the basement.

Doesn't really matter when you do it man. As long as you get it done you'll see results. I used to like to do it after supper so I had lots of energy, but as I said just fit it in wherever and it'll work for you.

Shit's hard as hell man and takes a lot of time out of your day. Diet is most important. Good luck.

Feruk
03-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Sweet, thanks for the help guys. Got myself some free weights yesterday (not power block though, cheaper stuff) and gonna maybe order that bar. Starting Monday! I'll post a pic of myself in a month and my current fatass stomach if I make it a month! Diet I can do, but I don't plan to stop drinking beers.

s_havinga
03-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Check Winners if you are looking for a door frame pull up bar. They sell two different types, a basic one for $20 or a better one for $30 (in my opinion worth the extra $10)

Feruk
03-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Ive found the door frame ones always suck. I'd like to buy a standing one so I don't destroy another door frame.

chathamf
03-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Yea, you can get ones at Can Tire that you can do pull ups and dips with. I think there usually like 200. But also check Kijiji, might find something cheap.

hamburgler
04-15-2011, 12:16 AM
4 Months. Anyone start this workout yet?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/hamburgler39/4monthschestback.jpg

Dumbass17
04-15-2011, 05:46 AM
f$%K you!
i've been at the gym way longer than that and haven't had that kidn of success haha. good work man

scboss
04-15-2011, 01:45 PM
your diet must be excellent congrats. When you finish you should try rush-fit it is amazing

leftwing
04-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by hamburgler
4 Months. Anyone start this workout yet?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/hamburgler39/4monthschestback.jpg

Good work man. Impressive! You should send those pics to Tony Horton, they would probably enjoy another success story and pics to prove.

Im looking into starting this routine. Wheres a good place to get all the equipment and whatnot. I've got the videos online but what else do I need? Like do I need workout schedules so I know which workouts to do which days?

I also have read that the equipment I need is a chin up bar and either dumbells or the resistance bands...its this all I really need?

Basically I'd like to know everything I need in order to make this workout work.

Thanks for any info.

bigbadboss101
04-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Do you need a chinup bar? I have one that one can have for cheap. A good one with different grip positions. $20

lasimmon
05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Looking at starting this up.. Cant really find exactly what I REALLY need.. not what it recommends.

Can anyone let me know what I will need to do all the stuff?

Clever
05-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Chin/ pull up bar, free weights or dumbbells, 10,15,20lbs to start then as you get stronger go for heavier. Print the work out sheets so you can track progress. That's about it, I think.

soccernut
05-17-2011, 09:28 PM
^^^ and a yoga mat is also good for yoga, core, and ab ripper

lasimmon
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Only 10 15 and 20 lb weights? I take it it makes use of the light weight some sort of way?

Clever
05-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Right, yoga mat, if you can lift heavier, do what's comfortable for you. The light weights come in handy when you get to phase two, pour flys and a few other exercises can get really tough if you don't have the 10-15lbs. Unless, you're Chuck Norris of course.:D.

Jonel
05-26-2011, 10:54 PM
If I'm doing the LEAN version first before the CLASSIC to lose some weight (beer belly) and while following the nutrition plan (portion approach), should I still drink protein shakes in the morning / as a snack or skip it because it'll make me bigger? I'm trying to go down from 170 to 150ish for August.

nagooro
05-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Only 10 15 and 20 lb weights? I take it it makes use of the light weight some sort of way?
I would watch a few of the videos and check out the exercises they do, then decide how heavy of weights would be ideal for yourself.

For example, dumbell rows with 20lbs might be too light for you.

Clever
05-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Jonel
If I'm doing the LEAN version first before the CLASSIC to lose some weight (beer belly) and while following the nutrition plan (portion approach), should I still drink protein shakes in the morning / as a snack or skip it because it'll make me bigger? I'm trying to go down from 170 to 150ish for August.

In my opinion if you are at 170 just do the classic, if you follow the program to the tee, and the nutrition guide, I don't see how you won't get the results you want. I tried lean for a while after I injured my foot last year, it lasted one week.

eiysa101
02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Just started doing the Ab Ripper X on friday (still undecided if I wanna do the 1hr a day full routine - or just do the ab ripper work out for my core) but holy shit, this routine kills your hip flexors......way more than your actual abs. Well atleast for my first time. I have to lift my legs out of my car with my hands lol

GREENBOY
02-14-2012, 08:37 PM

I found Accelerade (from Popeye's) worked really well as a recovery drink and is a similar make-up to their product.