PDA

View Full Version : Would insurance pay for aftermarket upgrades?

soccernut
02-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Here is the situation:
I have been wanting to put an after market steel bumper on my FJ Cruiser but never got to around to doing it.

Today my wife got into an accident and the front bumper will need to be replaced.

I was wondering if the insurance company will let me get the after market bumper as long as I paid the difference from the estimate. Anyone with experience on the matter?

One of my friends was telling that if I know someone with a body shop they can do it for me and provide receipts accordingly but I'd rather do it legitimately if possible. Plus I don't know of anyone who owns a body shop.

Cos
02-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Depending on the company but when my bike was hit in the summer they helped me pay for an akro slip on upgrade.

I think they call it an improvement allowance.

soccernut
02-11-2011, 09:38 PM
who was your company?

spikerS
02-11-2011, 09:42 PM
just be straight up with them.

advise them that you want to upgrade it, and such, they will pay the cost to replace the original equipment that was damaged, and you will cover the rest.

I had one adjuster cover the whole new after market hood on my old truck, said I caught him on a good day.

R-Audi
02-14-2011, 10:26 AM
If you have a lot of aftermarket parts, you need to have your vehicle appraised, and have our insurance based on that appraised value.

ercchry
02-14-2011, 10:29 AM
1. get damage appraised
2. get insurance to cut you a cheque
3. buy steel bumper
4. install in driveway in an afternoon
5. profit? :dunno:

sputnik
02-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
If you have a lot of aftermarket parts, you need to have your vehicle appraised, and have our insurance based on that appraised value.

Reading comprehension fail.

soccernut
02-14-2011, 10:55 AM
I dont have any aftermarket parts that have been damaged...just the stock bumper.

errchry, I just spoke with the insurance about it. cutting a cheque would cost me the GST+20% off the estimate.

94boosted
02-14-2011, 11:06 AM
In a lot of cases the aftermarket equivalent part costs more than the OEM part, if this is the case with your bumper I'm sure your insurance company would love to pay for the less expensive aftermarket bumper. Just a though :dunno:

ercchry
02-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by soccernut
I dont have any aftermarket parts that have been damaged...just the stock bumper.

errchry, I just spoke with the insurance about it. cutting a cheque would cost me the GST+20% off the estimate.

i would get an estimate and see how much it is first, go to the most expensive shop you can find. with a full replacement steel bumper you can install it in your driveway and do not need paint so you might still end up with cash in your pocket :dunno:

soccernut
02-14-2011, 11:24 AM
They gave me a list of shops, and it's a long list....just not sure which is the most expensive...any ideas?

Weapon_R
02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Contemporary coachworks should be on that list, and they are expensive.

How much is this bumper you want? Installing an OEM bumper with paint and blending will cost a considerable amount, maybe even enough to allow you to buy the bumper you want.

ercchry
02-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by soccernut
They gave me a list of shops, and it's a long list....just not sure which is the most expensive...any ideas?

you dont need to use their list, and if they are taking 20% off for cutting you a cheque i would not accommodate their list anyways

R-Audi
02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Reading comprehension fail.

Wow. I was Totally out to lunch on that one. Serves me right for doing a quick skim.

soccernut
02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
If I dont use the shops on their list then they would have to send an adjuster to look it over...not sure if they are generous with estimates or not.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Contemporary coachworks should be on that list, and they are expensive.

How much is this bumper you want? Installing an OEM bumper with paint and blending will cost a considerable amount, maybe even enough to allow you to buy the bumper you want.

It is on the list.

The bumper I want is about US$1000+shipping/install. I would rather do the work myself but in that case I would have to take a cheque. I might have to do a cost-benefit analysis on this one.

My OEM bumoer comes painted from the factory...its the same for all colors (FJ Cruiser).

Cos
02-16-2011, 07:49 PM
My place ordered and installed my aftermarket part for me. I was obliged to pay the extra costs if there were any (there weren't).