PDA

View Full Version : Police led on slow speed chase through Banff by man refusing to stop for traffic infr

Markham
02-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Morning guys

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2011/02/police-led-on-slow-speed-chase-through-banff-by-man-refusing-to-stop-for-traffic-infraction/

Markham

TorqueDog
02-12-2011, 09:38 AM
The RCMP in Banff had a difficult time getting their man Friday after a bizarre slow speed car chase through Banff townsite led to an officer shooting at the suspect’s car, after which the suspect fled the townsite, taking police on a second pursuit that ended in Canmore thanks to a spikebelt.
Just after noon on Friday, an RCMP officer attempted to stop a vehicle on the Trans-Canada Highway near Banff for a traffic infraction. The driver did not stop and continued to drive into the townsite at a slow speed. The male driver took police on a leisurely chase through many parts of Banff.

Police eventually stopped the vehicle on Banff Ave. When the officer was beside the car, he attempted to grab the keys from the ignition of the vehicle. The suspect attempted to stab the officer with a hypodermic needle. The officer fired one round from his service pistol into the vehicle.

The man fled the townsite and headed east on Highway 1. The RCMP initiated a chase, but it was discontinued because of the danger it posed to other drivers on the highway. Traffic was stopped on Highway 1 in an effort to reduce the danger. Spikebelts were used, but the driver managed to elude them.

The vehicle was eventually stopped in Harvie Heights, just west of Canmore with the use of spikebelts that disabled the vehicle. The man then got out of the car and again he threatened RCMP members with the needle. He was subdued by taser gun and is now under medical treatment for a gunshot wound to the lower body. The injury does not appear to be life threatening.

No RCMP members or members of the public were injured in this incident, according to police.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, the organization that has jurisdiction over all police officers in Alberta, will be commencing and investigation into the incident.

OriginalGoods
02-12-2011, 11:04 AM
So during a slow leisurely drive threw banff , instead of the officer trying to shoot out a tire. He takes aim at him and hit him with his gun?

natejj
02-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by OriginalGoods
So during a slow leisurely drive threw banff , instead of the officer trying to shoot out a tire. He takes aim at him and hit him with his gun?

You've been watching way too many movies buddy. The guy attacked him with a needle, so the officer shot him.

OriginalGoods
02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Oh I didn't even read that paragraph my bad.

DonJuan
02-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah the cop probably already had his gun drawn on said crackhead.

n1zm0
02-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Oh I didn't even read that paragraph my bad.

i didnt even read the article, i just saw torquedog doing a good job with the news, thnks for these awesome articles i can read right away torque :thumbsup: :D

nobb
02-12-2011, 02:52 PM
+1 TorqueDog, great job on reporting the news.

TheRealTimHorton
02-12-2011, 03:40 PM
I like how the mounty used guns first and then the taser.

captain134
02-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by nobb
+1 TorqueDog, great job on reporting the news.

benz_890
02-12-2011, 03:54 PM
+ 4 TorqueDog

95EagleAWD
02-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by TheRealTimHorton
I like how the mounty used guns first and then the taser.

He tried to stab the cop with a needle. What the fuck is the matter with you? He's lucky the officer only fired one round and it hit him in the lower body.

Deadly force is met with deadly force. A needle is without doubt, 100% deadly every single time.

Stop watching shitty movies and welcome to the real world.

TheRealTimHorton
02-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

He tried to stab the cop with a needle. What the fuck is the matter with you? He's lucky the officer only fired one round and it hit him in the lower body.

Deadly force is met with deadly force. A needle is without doubt, 100% deadly every single time.

Stop watching shitty movies and welcome to the real world.

No need for the swearing, relax.

I think it is up for argument whether a hypodermic needle constitutes as deadly force. The mounty APPROACHED the vehicle and attempted to reach in and grab the keys out of the ignition, the suspect did not engage the officer.

This just doesn't sound right. I'm not an expert on the rules of engagement.... But this definitely doesn't sound right. I would actually bet this guy would win a court case claiming self defence. If ANYONE approached my vehicle and took a lunge inside, I wouldn't care they were trying to do, I would be reacting and defending myself. Do you think the first thought on your mind would be "oh he's just trying to grab my keys, I won't defend myself."

Cheers

sr20s14zenki
02-12-2011, 06:12 PM

I think it is up for argument whether a hypodermic needle constitutes as deadly force. The mounty APPROACHED the vehicle and attempted to reach in and grab the keys out of the ignition, the suspect did not engage the officer.

This just doesn't sound right. I'm not an expert on the rules of engagement.... But this definitely doesn't sound right. I would actually bet this guy would win a court case claiming self defence. If ANYONE approached my vehicle and took a lunge inside, I wouldn't care they were trying to do, I would be reacting and defending myself. Do you think the first thought on your mind would be "oh he's just trying to grab my keys, I won't defend myself."

Cheers

Fucking rights it constitutes deadly force. What if that needle had an aids infected blood sample on it. Hes basically signed that cops death certificate. I would have shot the fucker in the face.

:thumbsdow

If you are stupid enough to try and hurt an officer of the law, and that includes pulling a knife, fake guns, running at them, driving at them, anything....you deserve to be shot.

BrknFngrs
02-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Cheers

Great point. If it was me, I would have immediately thought "This police officer that's been trying to get me to stop and is now reaching into my car is clearly trying to assault me. So for my own protection, I better try to stab him with this needle to defend myself (which I conveniently have handy)"

:facepalm:

95EagleAWD
02-12-2011, 06:18 PM

Cheers

Well I carry a firearm five days a week at work and consider myself pretty well versed in our rules of engagement so I'll tell you that if somebody tried to stab me with a needle, I would shoot them. And have every justification to do it.

The officer had every right to go for the keys of that car. In close quarters like that, the needle is deadly. All it needs to be filled with is air or water... After spike belting the car on the highway, the officers are engaging from a greater distance so the taser becomes an option to end the situation.

skidmark
02-12-2011, 06:25 PM
instead of the officer trying to shoot out a tire

Too much television. Police handguns are generally not useful tools for deflating tires....

TheRealTimHorton
02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Well I carry a firearm five days a week at work and consider myself pretty well versed in our rules of engagement so I'll tell you that if somebody tried to stab me with a needle, I would shoot them. And have every justification to do it.

The officer had every right to go for the keys of that car. In close quarters like that, the needle is deadly. All it needs to be filled with is air or water... After spike belting the car on the highway, the officers are engaging from a greater distance so the taser becomes an option to end the situation.

If that is the case, then it just seems like the officer could have chosen a better method of subduing the suspect.

My opinion backed by having no experience in law enforcement: for a suspect that was evading arrest I would have just disabled his vehicle (like they did) and then stand off until he got out of the vehicle (or sufficient back up arrived).. Isn't approaching a vehicle/suspect like that extremely dangerous? You can't see his hands or what the hell he is doing in that car, and by virtue of the fact he is evading the police is kind of a red light that he's not super innocent.

Would you have handled the situation differently than this mounty did?

By the way I am not a police hater. Thank you for bearing the uniform day in and day out, you guys are a big part of the reason Canada is one of the best places to live.

Cheers

95EagleAWD
02-12-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm not a cop.

But yes approaching a car like that is dangerous. That's why it's a dangerous job and why cops carry firearms, to protect themselves when situations like this happen.

Afaik, that officer followed protocol to the letter.

ipeefreely
02-13-2011, 12:58 PM
.... This just doesn't sound right. I'm not an expert on the rules of engagement.... But this definitely doesn't sound right. I would actually bet this guy would win a court case claiming self defence. If ANYONE approached my vehicle and took a lunge inside, I wouldn't care they were trying to do, I would be reacting and defending myself. Do you think the first thought on your mind would be "oh he's just trying to grab my keys, I won't defend myself."

:facepalm:

Originally posted by DayGlow : How do you respond to stupid?

:nut:

Godfuader
02-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog

How dare you take away 'click-revenue' from such a valued contributing member?! :thumbsup:

revelations
02-13-2011, 01:31 PM

You obviously dont know much about the penetration capability of a hollow point round.

JustGo
02-13-2011, 03:11 PM

If that is the case, then it just seems like the officer could have chosen a better method of subduing the suspect.

My opinion backed by having no experience in law enforcement: for a suspect that was evading arrest I would have just disabled his vehicle (like they did) and then stand off until he got out of the vehicle (or sufficient back up arrived).. Isn't approaching a vehicle/suspect like that extremely dangerous? You can't see his hands or what the hell he is doing in that car, and by virtue of the fact he is evading the police is kind of a red light that he's not super innocent.

Would you have handled the situation differently than this mounty did?

By the way I am not a police hater. Thank you for bearing the uniform day in and day out, you guys are a big part of the reason Canada is one of the best places to live.

Cheers

Do you think that shooting a tire is classified as 'disabling a vehicle'? I've seen a truck with three flat tires drive from Banff to Calgary to avoid apprehension. The only way to truly disable a vehicle is to somehow make the engine seize (let me know how to do that from the outside), or unhook the battery (again, please let me know how to do that when there is a crazy guy behind the wheel). Shooting tires doesn't work. It's stupid. Welcome to reality. Enjoy your stay.

SJW
02-13-2011, 03:25 PM
The officer missed. In my humble opinion.

FraserB
02-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by SJW
The officer missed. In my humble opinion.

Yeah, probably about 2' too low.

911fever
02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
thanks for the news update, torquedog +5