PDA

View Full Version : People with Porsche experience, a couple questions

Pages : [1] 2

Cos
02-13-2011, 08:41 AM
- How is the reliability of the drivetrain? Specifically the 3.4L N/A. How many KM could you reasonably get out of one of these cars. It wouldnt be tracked a whole heck of a lot. Mostly 'spirited' daily commuting.

- How is the maintenance cost and cycle of these vehicles? Anything to look for that are major problem areas in 05-08 Boxster S or Cayman S?

TYIA.

redblack
02-13-2011, 08:52 AM
get a evo x

Unknown303
02-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by redblack
get a evo x :werd:

Cos
02-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Bahaha fuck you guys. Unknown I think I still have the text from you to the contrary.

schocker
02-13-2011, 11:00 AM
The only real thing to watch out for is the IMS Bearing Failure.
Here is a video explaining what it is
xvLRMGs-Ti8
After some reading though it looks like partway through 05 they started using an upgraded bolt to prevent this problem.

xrayvsn
02-13-2011, 11:06 AM
I believe the 3.4L in the Boxster and Cayman also had issues with the rear main seal.

Unknown303
02-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Bahaha fuck you guys. Unknown I think I still have the text from you to the contrary.

I lost my phone yesterday. Could have been anyone sending those texts....

Kloubek
02-13-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm not going to do all the searching again, but I believe the 3.4 had virtually eliminated one of those issues by the years he is looking at.

Earlier models though (99+) did have a disproportionate amount of failures it seems. If it were not for the IMS/RMS issues, the earlier models seem like a real bargain for what you get.

I think he's more likely than not going to be ok with 05+. From what I recall, the build and component quality is very good.

Cos
02-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by schocker
The only real thing to watch out for is the IMS Bearing Failure.
Here is a video explaining what it is
After some reading though it looks like partway through 05 they started using an upgraded bolt to prevent this problem.

Thanks for the info! Good to know to stick above 2005 or at least make sure it is changed.

Originally posted by xrayvsn
I believe the 3.4L in the Boxster and Cayman also had issues with the rear main seal.

Is there a good Canadian forum to read on?

Originally posted by Unknown303

I lost my phone yesterday. Could have been anyone sending those texts....

Ah, that makes more sense. Maybe it was RedBlack seeing as you two now seem to agree on the Evo instead of this thing.

Originally posted by Kloubek
I'm not going to do all the searching again, but I believe the 3.4 had virtually eliminated one of those issues by the years he is looking at.

Earlier models though (99+) did have a disproportionate amount of failures it seems. If it were not for the IMS/RMS issues, the earlier models seem like a real bargain for what you get.

I think he's more likely than not going to be ok with 05+. From what I recall, the build and component quality is very good.

No problem. I wasnt expecting people to do my homework for me I just dont know where to start. RennTech and 6 speed online seem okay but hoping there were better forums.

I should maybe clarify. I am looking for a used Boxster or Cayman (or perhaps new base Boxster as the price is right). The one I drove yesterday was an 08 Cayman S for a price I can afford. I want it to be reliable as I hope to keep it for a long time and dont want to spend an arm and a leg on maintenance. I havent decided if I will be selling my truck or just keeping it so I would potentially drive it part time in the winter (on the better days). Max I am looking to spend is the 50-55 range. Anything more than that and I am going to start looking at going into the US.

Not in a huge rush, need to save up some more cash so I dont have to finance a large part of it anyways. Hoping to have 15-20k down by the time I am ready to buy so that should help. Just really like the balance and speed the 'S' had. Perhaps I should drive the base ones first.

I saw the Boxster is $54,000 new. That is pretty good considering the Evo X and STI are 53,000 or there abouts. I was looking at getting one but something about even the base Porsche is sick. Was going to drive an Audi TT but not sure if I want to look anymore, I just loved that car.

That.Guy.S30
02-13-2011, 03:05 PM
^ 54K is for a new boxter with no options... Last time i checked, Porsche is all bout the options lol

Cos
02-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
^ 54K is for a new boxter with no options... Last time i checked, Porsche is all bout the options lol

Yeah I am about 61 with what I want. Close to 90 with the ceramic brakes and all that. Dont really have 90 grand to spend.

Caymen is about 65 loaded the way I want. Still think I am going used though but it is nice to know I could get a new one if I really had to have one and couldnt find a nice used one.

That.Guy.S30
02-13-2011, 03:11 PM
^ have you ever looked at the 996 turbos? you can get them for about 40K. 4wd, can evern drive it in winter if you like.

dont know about maintaince though.

Cos
02-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
^ have you ever looked at the 996 turbos? you can get them for about 40K. 4wd, can evern drive it in winter if you like.

dont know about maintaince though.

:) nope but I will. Yeah I would prefer to be around 40 - 45 and there are some decent Boxsters in that range. Getting the Cayman I was looking at was 52 so a bit over budget. I didnt want to finance more than half so that was why I was trying for that 40k mark or waiting as long as I could to save up more cash.

The lower the price the better it is for me to keep my truck. Problem is that the wife is getting a new (or 1 year old) GTI in that 30k mark. I didnt want to get this car and the GTI too quick together. That is almost 90k in vehicle and a LOT of cash out of pocket.

I will have to check em out.

Cos
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
So is it a pain buying a car from Saskatoon?

http://www.audisaskatoon.com/used/Porsche/2007-Porsche-Cayman-01e78f05404638b5007ca7f0d289d898.htm

http://www.audisaskatoon.com/used/Porsche/2003-Porsche-911-aef61c1f404638b501935e6fb4737d03.htm

xrayvsn
02-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Cos

:) nope but I will. Yeah I would prefer to be around 40 - 45 and there are some decent Boxsters in that range. Getting the Cayman I was looking at was 52 so a bit over budget. I didnt want to finance more than half so that was why I was trying for that 40k mark or waiting as long as I could to save up more cash.

The lower the price the better it is for me to keep my truck. Problem is that the wife is getting a new (or 1 year old) GTI in that 30k mark. I didnt want to get this car and the GTI too quick together. That is almost 90k in vehicle and a LOT of cash out of pocket.

I will have to check em out.

Another option would also be the 997 C4S which are starting to get into that price range. Browse around the 6speedonline for sale ads and you'll get an idea of what they are asking for those cars. There are a lot of 2001-2004 996TT for sale over there.

Also, Kulu looks to have a 2005 Boxster and a 2001 996TT in his current inventory, if you haven't already reviewed them.

Cos
02-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Also, Kulu looks to have a 2005 Boxster and a 2001 996TT in his current inventory, if you haven't already reviewed them.

:banghead: totally forgot to even look. Thanks! Damn that looks like a nice car except the 'auto' I think this was pre-pdk. Going to have to do some reading.

Christ I could sell my motorbikes and pay the damned thing off at that price.

tentacles
02-13-2011, 03:54 PM
http://preview.shareapic.net/preview5/016799262.jpg (http://www.shareapic.net/View-16799262-porsche.html)_

Cos
02-13-2011, 04:10 PM
^^ holy ass dude. Buy a 911 haha

M.alex
02-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Are you set on a cayman/boxter? If you're iwlling to spend up to 50k you can get wayyyyyyy better cars with wayyyy better reliability/power/fun.

Don't make the mistake of buying a porsche just because it's a porsche - i hated my 911. My 911 was the reason I did not buy a 917 - i did NOT want to drop a 911 engine into (they either sucked or were retarded $$$ to mod). However, now the factory has adapter the chassis to an LS combo, so that's no longer a problem (or relevant to the topic, lol), but I will never buy another porsche again, except maybe a carrera GT.

Actually, no, thinking about it I'd never buy a cgt either - I've seen and heard about the maintenance costs and intervals; no thanks.

xrayvsn
02-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Edmonton car, but I'm not sure if it is for sale since the thread hasn't been updates since September. I do know this car is immaculate with no stories, since I know the owner from the Subaru forums:

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=14507.0

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-13-2011, 04:48 PM
You can spend $157k on a Boxster? Holy FACK!

Supa Dexta
02-13-2011, 05:09 PM
OPs not going to buy one of these.. He's dreaming and it makes no sense in relation to any other info of his financial situation that he posts.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/Bad_News_Bears_film.jpg/220px-Bad_News_Bears_film.jpg

Goodfella
02-13-2011, 05:34 PM
I thought the boxster was the poor man's porsche

bourge73
02-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Ya dont forget with Porsche all the very pricey services and intervals, never mind paying for the parts etc. they sure arent Ford Trucks or GTI's.... But if thats what you want, :thumbsup:

boarderfatty
02-13-2011, 08:23 PM
I am very happy with my porsche 996 C4S and would buy again, service is expensive but not terribly and have never had any major problems with it.

Between the Boxster and the cayman i would definitely suggest the cayman it it a very stiff nimble feeling etc. I like the idea of having a drop top, but the cayman was much more fun to beat on and look better imo.

A friend of mine had a cayman with the 3.8L out of the 997 carrera s, roll cage, GT3 seats, and KW V3 suspension. That thing was a monster on the track and would regularly hand it to 996 turbo's 997 carerra 2s's or 4s's.

I would also suggest looking at some type of AWD carrera it is a little bigger, more roomy more torquey and more practical for regular driving duties.

Cos
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
Are you set on a cayman/boxter? If you're iwlling to spend up to 50k you can get wayyyyyyy better cars with wayyyy better reliability/power/fun.

Not really. What do you suggest? Looked at Vette's and dont like what I can get for the price. Looked at Mustangs dont really like them. Looked at an Evo and dont really like them. Looked at an STI and dont really like them.

Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Whatever buddy. You dont know me or anything about me. I had a whole thing typed out and decided it isnt worth it.

Originally posted by Goodfella
I thought the boxster was the poor man's porsche

It is, I am a poor man. I would get a 911 if I could but I need to be realistic. My real price point is that Evo/STI range. Hence why my buddies are bugging me about getting the EvoX at the beginning of the thread.

Originally posted by bourge73
Ya dont forget with Porsche all the very pricey services and intervals, never mind paying for the parts etc. they sure arent Ford Trucks or GTI's.... But if thats what you want, :thumbsup:

No kidding. Funny you should mention the GTI. 5-door GTI is what the wife will be getting. It is the whole reason we started out at the dealer on Saturday.

Originally posted by boarderfatty
I am very happy with my porsche 996 C4S and would buy again, service is expensive but not terribly and have never had any major problems with it.

Between the Boxster and the cayman i would definitely suggest the cayman it it a very stiff nimble feeling etc. I like the idea of having a drop top, but the cayman was much more fun to beat on and look better imo.

A friend of mine had a cayman with the 3.8L out of the 997 carrera s, roll cage, GT3 seats, and KW V3 suspension. That thing was a monster on the track and would regularly hand it to 996 turbo's 997 carerra 2s's or 4s's.

I would also suggest looking at some type of AWD carrera it is a little bigger, more roomy more torquey and more practical for regular driving duties.

edit: errrr sorry re-read what you typed. Thought you were talking about picking up a 996/997 or a GT3. Haha

I am stretching my budget as it is to get into a 06/08 Boxster or Cayman but I am hoping of having this thing for a long time.

FraserB
02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Just get a Bimmer and use the savings to buy some Ed Hardy to go with it:D

Cos
02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Just get a Bimmer and use the savings to buy some Ed Hardy to go with it:D

Well to be honest I was considering getting a couple year old GTI, Mini, M3, Mustang, or Vette and spending money to fix it up. Then I started thinking about getting a STI/Evo. Then I started thinking about just buying another bike. Haha

Been a bit of a roller coaster. To be honest I dont think it is over. Budget was going to be 25/30k and then 5 to 10 to upgrade it.

After the car yesterday I figure if I give myself another year of saving I can get another 5/7k and that will put me up to 47k. Either find a bit better deal (like the one in Sask) or just swallow a couple grand and I am at the Cayman. Problem is I will still probably upgrade and I will have left 0 budget for it.

FraserB
02-13-2011, 09:10 PM
For $35k I can build you a Jeep that will walk over 90% of the ones in town if you want:bigpimp:

Either way, that Cayman is a nice car, only summer driven though?

dirtsniffer
02-13-2011, 09:11 PM
how about the 1m?

02-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Never understood why anyone would go with a boxer or ccayman when you can get a couple year older turbo for the same price... makes no sense to me. Or even a new Evo or STI, which is way more practical, more fun (bias), cheaper to maintain, mod, look good... etc..

Always wanted a 996 turbo for the winter.. one day..

Cos
02-13-2011, 09:13 PM
For $35k I can build you a Jeep that will walk over 90% of the ones in town if you want:bigpimp:

Either way, that Cayman is a nice car, only summer driven though?

yeah I will be keeping the truck for any of my plans except for the STI/Evo. Problem is after driving both I just dont find them THAT nice for 55k.

As for building up my truck or building a new one. Unknown has already tried and failed to get me up to that. I want something fast and nimble so I spend all this money on a new truck and then I will just end up getting a car or bike too.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
how about the 1m?

Honestly only like the older E36 M3's and after Rage/Benyl/Xtrema thread about them I dont want to spend 25 grand on a slow cow of a car. Dont really like any of the new BMW's compared to the old one. Drove a 335i when they first came out and before I bought my truck and just wasnt blown away.

Originally posted by 5.0
Never understood why anyone would go with a boxer or ccayman when you can get a couple year older turbo for the same price... makes no sense to me. Or even a new Evo or STI, which is way more practical, more fun (bias), cheaper to maintain, mod, look good... etc..

Always wanted a 996 turbo for the winter.. one day..

You ever driven one? Way different than an evo or an Sti. The STI/EVO dont feel worth 50k to me. The Cayman feels amazing. Not sure about the boxster as I didnt drive one.

I could be into looking for an older 996 turbo. Just like the look of the newer ones.

redline
02-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Honestly only like the older E36 M3's and after Rage/Benyl/Xtrema thread about them I dont want to spend 25 grand on a slow cow of a car.

then why are you going to spend 50k on a slow car? e46 m3 and the cars your looking at are all around the same speed.... :cry: :rolleyes:

Cos
02-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by redline

then why are you going to spend 50k on a slow car? e46 m3 and the cars your looking at are all around the same speed.... :cry: :rolleyes:

??

M3 - 5.6 s
Cayman S - 4.8 s

How is that the same? To be honest I havent had the wheel time behind an M3. Only ever been in one and then Rage2's turbo which isnt a fair example.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts though. There are lots of nice ones for sale for Mid $20's so for the budget that is very nice.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Z4M?

Cody D
02-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I could be into looking for an older 996 turbo. Just like the look of the newer ones.

I agree with 5.0, the 996 Turbo is a better car than the Boxster/Cayman, especially if you want to do the occasional winter drive. The power that they are capable of is ridiculous, a guy I know has one with an Evo 660 kit on it and it was comparable to the 2007 R1 I used to ride. The biggest draw back for me has always been the headlights and the sound, they just don't have a nice exhaust sound in my opinion.

The 996 Turbo I believe also has the better block which doesn't have the IMS and RMS problems that people have told you about in this thread.

As for Porsche, I owned my 911 C4 for two years, I drove it everywhere year round and went on several long road trips with it. It is one of my top three vehicles I've ever owned. I personally prefer the air cooled but from the sounds of it a newer one is what you are looking for.

Here is an article for you to read about the different engine issues on the late 90's early 2000 cars... http://www.total911.com/news/996-engine-failure-should-you-be-worried/

Edit (I knew the turbo engines were different somehow):

"But we need to clear one thing up immediately. Although the Turbo is water-cooled it’s not the same engine that’s in the regular 996s. The turbo engine can trace its ancestry back to the old air-cooled units and is directly related not only to the 996 GT3 but also the GT1 racer (3.2 litres and 600bhp!). The other 996 engines were a completely different design and had gasket problems that could lead to catastrophic failures, but not so the Turbo. This engine is very strong and can be tuned up to well over 500bhp if the fancy takes you."

ringmaster
02-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Cos,

If you're considering the 911, there was a guy selling a 2005 C2s in the summer for around the 60 mark. It had 45,000K on it, US launch car for the 997's so it was loaded up with ceramic brakes and all... PM me if you're interestd and I'll find out if he still has it.

K3RMiTdot
02-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ holy ass dude. Buy a 911 haha

:werd:

Cos
02-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Z4M?

Never been in one. Not sure about the looks though

Originally posted by Cody D

PM'd

Originally posted by ringmaster
Cos,

If you're considering the 911, there was a guy selling a 2005 C2s in the summer for around the 60 mark. It had 45,000K on it, US launch car for the 997's so it was loaded up with ceramic brakes and all... PM me if you're interestd and I'll find out if he still has it.

I want it.... cant afford it. Thanks for the thought though.

Well I think I am going to derail my own thread:

I want a fun summer car, something that I can enjoy in the summer. Would like something with a sunroof or a drop top.

I have exhausted the normal cars:

- Evo (nice but not sure if it is worth the 50k)
- STI (same as evo but not quite as nice)
- GTI (way too slow. Nice though)
- MB (too expensive, but I want one)
- BMW (dont really like any except the M3's which everyone has)
- Audi (nothing I really liked, maybe a TT)
- Mustang (5.0 was fast but expensive and not THAT nice)
- Vette (again nice but not THAT nice)
- Mini (nice actually but expensive and I would want to do lots of work.)

I sort of stumbled into the Porsche when we were doing the wifes GTI yesterday. I am open to other suggestions. I want something that is fun out of the box and can just make it better. I dont want to build an ITR. I dont want to build an S2000.

Hope that outlines a bit better where I want to be. Budget is max 40k. 50k if I find something I really really want. Obviously if I can get something nice for 20k that is MUCH better.

ringmaster
02-13-2011, 09:54 PM
On a side note, I think I remember C&D clocking a 4ish second 0-60 time in the c2s which was faster than the 996 turbo rated at 4.3 seconds. :D

Impreza
02-13-2011, 10:01 PM

I still don't understand how anyone can call an E46 M3 "slow". Sure, it is slow in COMPARISON, but it sure isn't slow by any means. It is still quicker than 95%+ of the cars out there. I see why some call it slow (cause other cars like an S4 is faster), but that doesn't mean the E46M3 is a slow car in general....

ringmaster
02-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Maserati Coupe. 390hp, 300ish tq, very unique.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Maserati-Coupe-Cambiocorsa-Paddle-Shift-Ferrari-Built-W0QQAdIdZ231800750

Unknown303
02-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Oohh I'm a huge fan of the S4. The older V8 though, that this felt amazing to whip around in.

Big_Fat
02-13-2011, 10:32 PM
If you can live without a ton of speed or power get an ITR and put some money into it, they aren't fast by any means but they are so well balanced and just fun to drive in general!

This one in Edmonton is minty:http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?t=118236&page=2 pics are on the bottom of second page.

Cos
02-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Maserati Coupe.

Damned unique, a little too unique for me.

Oohh I'm a huge fan of the S4. The older V8 though, that this felt amazing to whip around in.

Not sure I would want one though. Like the Evo they are SICK in a straight line but just something about the light weight nimbleness of the car, I imagine it is the same reason people fall in love with the Lotus or the MB small cars.

Originally posted by Big_Fat
If you can live without a ton of speed or power get an ITR and put some money into it, they aren't fast by any means but they are so well balanced and just fun to drive in general!

This one in Edmonton is minty:http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?t=118236&page=2 pics are on the bottom of second page.

Originally posted by Cos

I sort of stumbled into the Porsche when we were doing the wifes GTI yesterday. I am open to other suggestions. I want something that is fun out of the box and can just make it better. I dont want to build an ITR. I dont want to build an S2000.

Hope that outlines a bit better where I want to be. Budget is max 40k. 50k if I find something I really really want. Obviously if I can get something nice for 20k that is MUCH better.

Hope your were joking.... lol

962 kid
02-13-2011, 10:37 PM
From everything that's been said, sounds like a Boxster or Cayman would be a great car for you. Nearly all of the issues from the early boxsters have been rectified in the 05+ cars, so maintenance and reliability are not major concerns. They're fantastic cars, much better than most of the other cars listed (E46 M3, EVO X, S4) imo. Buy it, take care of it and enjoy it as it will be able to handle any environment you could throw it in.

:rolleyes:

Cody D
02-13-2011, 10:38 PM

ITR's are cool and all, but not in the same league as a 996 TT or Cayman.

redline
02-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Cos

??

M3 - 5.6 s
Cayman S - 4.8 s

How is that the same? To be honest I havent had the wheel time behind an M3. Only ever been in one and then Rage2's turbo which isnt a fair example.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts though. There are lots of nice ones for sale for Mid $20's so for the budget that is very nice.

not sure where your getting your numbers from but an SMG is listed any where from 4.7 to 5.1.... the cabs are around 5.6 but that is just internet BS. It really depends on what you want from a car, go drive one before you pass judgment.

Cos
02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
From everything that's been said, sounds like a Boxster or Cayman would be a great car for you. Nearly all of the issues from the early boxsters have been rectified in the 05+ cars, so maintenance and reliability are not major concerns. They're fantastic cars, much better than most of the other cars listed (E46 M3, EVO X) imo. Buy it, take care of it and enjoy it as it will be able to handle any environment you could throw it in.

:rolleyes:

Yeah I am starting to think this is one of the times I have to do something I want regardless of what a lot of people think. Lol

not sure where your getting your numbers from but an SMG is listed any where from 4.7 to 5.1.... the cabs are around 5.6 but that is just internet BS. It really depends on what you want from a car, go drive one before you pass judgment.

Fair enough. Must be internet BS. Came straight from Manufacturer documentation according to Wiki. I have driven a couple in the past but very briefly. Mainly every time I swap out vehicles (every two or three years) I go through something like this before I finally buy something again. The M3's are nice in the looks department that is for sure. Once it gets better out may have to go again in one but they are fighting an uphill battle in my mind as everytime I drove in one I just dont remember it being that amazing.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-13-2011, 10:46 PM
The M3s are better once you get onto the brakes and into the corners, rather than in a straight line.

shakalaka
02-13-2011, 10:54 PM
I would get this over even a newer Boxster or Cayman any day. A friend about a couple years back got a 911 Turbo in mint condition from the US for 40K.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Porsche-911-/190499634296?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c5aa9bc78#ht_11605wt_1141

A little bit older but still sick nonetheless.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Porsche-911-/300523896128?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45f89ebd40#ht_18640wt_1141

Amazing! 700hp.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Porsche-911-/110648075340?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19c323a44c#ht_8497wt_1141

Just a few examples, I think you should deff. look into getting something from the states, especially with the currency rates. You will end up with a nicer car for the amount of money you'll spend, guaranteed!

Goodfella
02-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Biggest question to the OP is are you working with cash funds?
If so it wouldnt be bad decsion to head south of the boarder because the selection of cars you can get with that money almost triples.

Cos
02-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Goodfella
Biggest question to the OP is are you working with cash funds?
If so it wouldnt be bad decsion to head south of the boarder because the selection of cars you can get with that money almost triples.

I will have about half in cash by then (20k). I am considering going to the US though. Been following a lot of the Porsche import threads on 6 speed online.

Yeah Porsche of North Scottsdale has been hit a few times by my IP.

redline
02-13-2011, 10:58 PM
^^^I agree, cayman will be similar

from the wiki page

0-100 km/h (62 mph) — 4.8 seconds for Manual and SMG, 5.6 seconds for cabriolet

Buy the car you want, dont listen to the internet fan boys

rage2
02-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
The M3s are better once you get onto the brakes and into the corners, rather than in a straight line.
E46 M3's are no match for the Boxster/Cayman around corners, especially turn-in. The mid-engine layout makes a huge difference in corner entry and exit traction. It's just mid corners that's a little sketch in the Boxster/Cayman if you trail brake a little too deep. First time I drove a Boxster at the track, I was shocked at how awesome it was around the corners, and it was a base boxster.

I haven't driven the newer Boxster or even a Cayman, so I have no clue how it feels in a straight line compared to an M3.

One thing I've learnt about Porsches though, I need to be richer to own one off warranty haha. Shit gets kinda expensive.

xrayvsn
02-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Cody D

I agree with 5.0, the 996 Turbo is a better car than the Boxster/Cayman, especially if you want to do the occasional winter drive. The power that they are capable of is ridiculous, a guy I know has one with an Evo 660 kit on it and it was comparable to the 2007 R1 I used to ride. The biggest draw back for me has always been the headlights and the sound, they just don't have a nice exhaust sound in my opinion.

The 996 Turbo I believe also has the better block which doesn't have the IMS and RMS problems that people have told you about in this thread.

962 kid would know best, but it is my understanding that the 3.6L turbo and GT3 motors don't have the same IMS/RMS issues as the others. They also have a dry-sump, so will be fine being driven on the track. However, the 6 speed 996TT has a few common transmission issues that you should look into, namely:

Second gear pop-out
Clutch slave accumulator failure

danno
02-13-2011, 11:35 PM
just throwing this out there but what about a 98-01 viper or nsx, i've also thought about a porsche. those cars are on my list since i picked up my f150 fx4, i also have a 07 gti. while the gti is super fast compared to the truck ( since the gti is chipped) i want a full on summer car. i'm going to wait till next year though to save some more money up.

msommers
02-14-2011, 12:46 AM
For Porsche, if it were me, I'd be looking at only the states.

If 50K is your absolute max, you could haggle a bit and drive it back here yourself to save a bit of cost.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=45052307&listingRecNum=195&criteria=prMx%3D50000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20081%26stkTyp%3DU%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D60201%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-0-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26alMkId%3D20081%26rpp%3D250%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=57359872&listingRecNum=0&criteria=prMx%3D50000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20081%26stkTyp%3DU%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D60201%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-0-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26alMkId%3D20081%26rpp%3D250%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

As mentioned, an NSX would be a nice choice. What about a Lotus?

m10-power
02-14-2011, 02:20 AM
If it was my choice I would go with the 996TT (was and did), can't really go wrong with a boxter s/cayman/996-7. The 996TT is just so much car for the money, unbelievable how little these cars sell for. I know Kulu has a very nice low mileage silver one (not digging the grey interior though) for a pretty good price. Or look stateside, but it's a bunch more work to get the car here.

As far as Porsches being expensive to own they can be, the insurance is high, but one thing that surprises me is the cost of parts. If ordered from Suncoast or a few other online factory Porsche parts suppliers the parts can be surprisingly inexpensive.

I would take the 996TT's minor issues, mainly the failure of the slave cylinder which causes about a $1k bill to fix at the dealer (which includes a 2 year warranty which is pretty good considering) over the IMS issues with the boxter/caymen/996-7 NA engines (not GT3 though). If you do go that route make sure the IMS has been upgraded or budget to do it immediately. I have fixed one in a Boxter S that failed, luckly on startup and was immediately shutdown. Not a bad fix cost or time wise but if it happens when driving you're looking at a new engine.

As always with Porsches buy the newest and best condition one you can afford.

M.alex
02-14-2011, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Impreza

I still don't understand how anyone can call an E46 M3 "slow". Sure, it is slow in COMPARISON, but it sure isn't slow by any means. It is still quicker than 95%+ of the cars out there. I see why some call it slow (cause other cars like an S4 is faster), but that doesn't mean the E46M3 is a slow car in general....

Does it have 600rwTQ? No - sloooooooooow :o

Originally posted by m10-power

As always with Porsches buy the newest and best condition one you can afford.

Or buy a domestic V8 and not have to worry about those pesky issues :burnout:

Maserati Coupe. 390hp, 300ish tq, very unique.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Maserati-Coupe-Cambiocorsa-Paddle-Shift-Ferrari-Built-W0QQAdIdZ231800750

Wait until you see the maintenance costs for it!

$$$$$$$$

m10-power
02-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Or buy a domestic V8 and not have to worry about those pesky issues :burnout:

Right domestic V8's don't have any problems...:rofl:

M.alex
02-14-2011, 03:02 AM

Right domestic V8's don't have any problems...:rofl:

Teh LS can neva looose! :burnout:

m10-power
02-14-2011, 03:23 AM
take your LSx to a road course and you'll see how it will loose!

Even the mighty LS7 can't hold up to hard track use, GM drysump < Porsche drysump

M.alex
02-14-2011, 03:27 AM
Perhaps, but in terms of general usage I'd rather pay $30k and have 850RWhp n/a that will survive for 100k miles on just oil changes, rather than the crazy $$$$ porshce engines go for (when I was looking for the 917, a used 996 engine was something "silly" like 14k; brand new built up engine to 650hp was around 40k I think)

m10-power
02-14-2011, 03:37 AM
Perhaps, but in terms of general usage I'd rather pay $30k and have 850RWhp n/a that will survive for 100k miles on just oil changes, rather than the crazy $$$$ porshce engines go for (when I was looking for the 917, a used 996 engine was something &quot;silly&quot; like 14k; brand new built up engine to 650hp was around 40k I think)

I think you're in dream land or have been smoking something odd. 996TT will make ~600awhp on pump with bolt-ons and cost $15k to do. Let see you do that with an LSx for that kind of money, then bring it to the track and see if it lasts a day.

I already know the answer.

mrsingh
02-14-2011, 08:00 AM
This thread is very interesting, I have also considered picking up a P-Car this summer. I am having a lot of trouble deciding which one, I have been all over the map considering everything from a 951, to a 993 to a 996. The RMS/IMS issues have scared me away from the naturally aspirated 996's even though the early ones are dirt cheap now.

There is a beautiful black 993 Carrera 4S for sale on Autotrader in Ontario for $46K right now, but being able to get a 996 Turbo for the same money? Tough choice!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by rage2

E46 M3's are no match for the Boxster/Cayman around corners, especially turn-in. The mid-engine layout makes a huge difference in corner entry and exit traction. It's just mid corners that's a little sketch in the Boxster/Cayman if you trail brake a little too deep. First time I drove a Boxster at the track, I was shocked at how awesome it was around the corners, and it was a base boxster.

I haven't driven the newer Boxster or even a Cayman, so I have no clue how it feels in a straight line compared to an M3.

One thing I've learnt about Porsches though, I need to be richer to own one off warranty haha. Shit gets kinda expensive.

Oh no doubt the Boxster/Cayman is better in the corners, I just kinda worded that statement wrong. I meant if you buy a M3 you will have more fun hitting corners in it than straight lines because it isn't really that quick in a straight line, I wasn't comparing it to the Porsches.

TorqueDog
02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by rage2
One thing I've learnt about Porsches though, I need to be richer to own one off warranty haha. Shit gets kinda expensive. When rage2 says he isn't rich enough to own something, that's a red flag right there. :rofl:

M.alex
02-14-2011, 12:51 PM

I think you're in dream land or have been smoking something odd. 996TT will make ~600awhp on pump with bolt-ons and cost $15k to do. Let see you do that with an LSx for that kind of money, then bring it to the track and see if it lasts a day.

I already know the answer.

//head in sand!! lalalalalalalalallalalalalalala

But seriously, is it 15k for a brand new 996tt engine + associated mods? or 15k in mods + an engine, or 15k for a high mileage 996tt engine+mods, or.....?

Like I said, the last time I was looking (2yrs ago) used 996 (non-TTs) were 12-15 depending no condition from reputable vendors.

bourge73
02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Agree 100% Although I dont know you COS unless your pulling in baller cash please dont get a Porsche off warranty. Otherwise everybody on here will be looking forward to your "LF: Cheap mechanic with Porsche Exp." thread.

Supa Dexta
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Whatever buddy. You dont know me or anything about me. I had a whole thing typed out and decided it isnt worth it.

I'm not shooting off, I just don't see it happening... Feel free to prove me wrong and post pics when you get it..

911fever
02-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Cos, buy an 08 M3 for that price, 40k mark, 46k imported from the US. literally drives almost as fun as a Porsche, doesn't have the unreliable nonsense, is really quick, reliable. That's what I'd do.
Either that or get a 996 Turbo, seriously amazing and fast cars. Cayman and Boxster don't impress me at all - nice cars but not worth the price for what they are. And don't buy new either.
And import from the US. none of this buying locally garbage. Forget it!

milesmcewing
02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
PM me, happy to fill in the blanks!

Somebody asked all these questions last fall? I think I wrote half a book then, search for it if you want to see some info. I'm too lazy now.

Hello Paul and Malcolm.

Hey Paul drop me a line, I was out spending money again..........This one will scare even you!

edit:
OK I got unlazy and dug up the earlier thread, mostly relevant info to your search:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=307919&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=4

Cos
02-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
When rage2 says he isn't rich enough to own something, that's a red flag right there. :rofl:

Yeah to be honest that freaks me out a bit.

Agree 100% Although I dont know you COS unless your pulling in baller cash please dont get a Porsche off warranty. Otherwise everybody on here will be looking forward to your &quot;LF: Cheap mechanic with Porsche Exp.&quot; thread.

Dont get me wrong I am not rolling in mad cash, will have to look into the maintenance of these things a bit more. :(

Originally posted by Supa Dexta

I'm not shooting off, I just don't see it happening... Feel free to prove me wrong and post pics when you get it..

Where did I say I was getting one? I have been saving and looking for a fun car for the last year and plan to keep saving until I find that perfect car. I have gone and looked at LOTS of cars that have been in the marketplace. So far nothing has really done it for me. I just happened to drive this thing on Saturday and knew lots of people on here who had one model or porsche or another. Plus it is a Porsche I could actually afford.

People arent allowed to ask questions on here without 100% committing to the cause now? As I have said many times in here I am still looking around. The whole thread started about maintenance as I said before if I were to get something like this it would be near the top end of my budget so I cant drop a ton of cash into it. If I got an M3 for 30k I still have a lot of cash left over to fix it if it has little quirks.

Originally posted by 911fever
Cos, buy an 08 M3 for that price, 40k mark, 46k imported from the US.

Honestly I dont like the look of them. :dunno:

Originally posted by milesmcewing
PM me, happy to fill in the blanks!

Somebody asked all these questions last fall? I think I wrote half a book then, search for it if you want to see some info. I'm too lazy now.

Hello Paul and Malcolm.

Hey Paul drop me a line, I was out spending money again..........This one will scare even you!

edit:
OK I got unlazy and dug up the earlier thread, mostly relevant info to your search:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=307919&amp;perpage=20&amp;highlight=&amp;pagenumber=4

PM'd you back and yes you typed a huge thing on the older boxsters derrr..... finish reading your post I guess.

ercchry
02-14-2011, 05:20 PM
imo you are too young for a porsche. should just crush your mortgage, then get one when you have a mid-life crisis :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Everything takes longer or requires some sort of special tool. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you have to ask how much maintenance is don't buy the car. I spend a lot of money every year modding my car since maintenance is cheap and easy and it's rare that anything ever breaks. I was going to sell it and buy a 911 and although I'd be able to afford maintaining the car I wouldn't be able to afford modding it and that's half the fun of owning a car so I kept what I have.

soloracer
02-14-2011, 10:37 PM
For an all round great car that can be driven spring, summer, fall and winter with few issues I would go with the 996TT. I am amazed by how good the car is. I drove the first 1/2 of the winter with the car in 2wd mode with no problems. I can't wait to get the 4wd hooked back up and see how much better it is. I have it in the shop getting a bunch of performance upgrades done so I'm itching to get it back on the road.

Unknown303
02-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
imo you are too young for a porsche. should just crush your mortgage, then get one when you have a mid-life crisis :rofl:

Or he should get a Jeep so he can come out on the trails with the rest of us.

FraserB
02-14-2011, 10:53 PM

Or he should get a Jeep so he can come out on the trails with the rest of us.

I tried too, even the prospect of having a Jeep that could crush anything in town didn't move him.:dunno:

He can try bringing the truck and you can play with the new winch.

911fever
02-14-2011, 11:02 PM
get an 996TT then Cos if you don't like the E90 M3.

InRich
02-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
When rage2 says he isn't rich enough to own something, that's a red flag right there. :rofl:

when your sucking his dick, how deep do you let him? haha just joking bro ;)

But seriously, whats the latest year you guys would recommend a porsche 911 turbo? I'm looking at 06+ - 09 MAX and also will be going to the states for pick up or delivery, which ever is cheaper... I just finished reading the thread about canada accepting the warrenty upon inspection, so that'll be a go ahead. you guys know of any problems plaguing a particular year?

Do you guys think the convertable 911s are girls cars?

Is it cheaper to drive the car here, or pay to have it shipped?

soloracer
02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't know of any issues with the 997 TT. However, you will pay about double what a 996 TT will cost in initial purchase price. If you have the coin I would say get the latest model 997 TT that you can afford. If you are looking for the best bang for the buck out there get a 996 TT.

Depending where the car is coming from shipping will cost approx $1500 to get to Sweetgrass. Flying and driving may be cheaper. The only issue is finding a good carrier to ship the car with. My experience has been hit or miss. The only universal truth is you will be lied to on the delivery time. Plus when the car is shipped you take the risk of damage. The other nice thing about picking up a car in person and driving it home is you get to see it before you pay for it. Probably not as important on a newer car but with a used model could be the difference between getting a cherry car or a lemon.

962 kid
02-15-2011, 10:53 AM

962 kid would know best, but it is my understanding that the 3.6L turbo and GT3 motors don't have the same IMS/RMS issues as the others. They also have a dry-sump, so will be fine being driven on the track. However, the 6 speed 996TT has a few common transmission issues that you should look into, namely:

Second gear pop-out
Clutch slave accumulator failure

Yup, the 996tt engine is completely different from the engine used in the carreras. I've seen clutch accumulators fail and a tranny that wouldn't go into 3rd (driver's fault though)

Originally posted by milesmcewing
edit:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=307919&amp;perpage=20&amp;highlight=&amp;pagenumber=4

Since that thread, I've seen 2 M96s with cylinder wall failure. Both customers ended up going with a 3.8l kit from LN Engineering.

Agree 100% Although I dont know you COS unless your pulling in baller cash please dont get a Porsche off warranty. Otherwise everybody on here will be looking forward to your &quot;LF: Cheap mechanic with Porsche Exp.&quot; thread.

It doesn't take baller cash to keep a Boxster or Cayman maintained. Regular maintenance is very affordable and the 05+ cars are very reliable.

Originally posted by Cos
Dont get me wrong I am not rolling in mad cash, will have to look into the maintenance of these things a bit

$200ish for an oil change, air/cabin filters are the same price as they are for any other car, same with brake fluid and MT flushes. Clutches are pretty easy on the labor but the parts can get expensive (as it is with any dual mass car). The most expensive maintenance item you'll have to worry about is brakes.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Everything takes longer or requires some sort of special tool. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you have to ask how much maintenance is don't buy the car. I spend a lot of money every year modding my car since maintenance is cheap and easy and it's rare that anything ever breaks. I was going to sell it and buy a 911 and although I'd be able to afford maintaining the car I wouldn't be able to afford modding it and that's half the fun of owning a car so I kept what I have.

Maintenance on the newer cars really isn't that bad. You can't compare costs from a 15 year old 911 to a 5 year old boxster :)

Originally posted by InRich
Do you guys think the convertable 911s are girls cars?

No, they're for soulless doctors and lawyers looking for the perfect car to showcase their lack of personality.

Redlyne_mr2
02-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Maintenance on the newer cars really isn't that bad. You can't compare costs from a 15 year old 911 to a 5 year old boxster :)

hahah except I always seem to see your dad working on softops that have failed on Boxsters.

962 kid
02-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

hahah except I always seem to see your dad working on softops that have failed on Boxsters.

I can count on one hand the number of soft tops that have been replaced or repaired and the later boxsters have a glass window instead of a plastic one (which was the biggest problem with them). They just look broken when you need to access the engine bay on the car :p

psycoticclown
02-15-2011, 02:31 PM
^^^I agree, cayman will be similar

from the wiki page

0-100 km/h (62 mph) — 4.8 seconds for Manual and SMG, 5.6 seconds for cabriolet

Buy the car you want, dont listen to the internet fan boys

I think the manufacturer numbers are off, slower then in real life. C+D and R&T had my car do 0-60 in 5.1 secs, no way it's quicker then an M3. Friend has a 135i, manufacturer claims 5.2 iirc, destroyed my car to 60.

Cos, what about an NSX like stated above or a Lotus. Or even a 370z, supposed to be comparable to the Cayman according to some magazine reviews. Or stretch your budget a bit and hit up the US for a GTR :D

rojhero
02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown

I think the manufacturer numbers are off, slower then in real life. C+D and R&amp;T had my car do 0-60 in 5.1 secs, no way it's quicker then an M3. Friend has a 135i, manufacturer claims 5.2 iirc, destroyed my car to 60.

Originally posted by Cos

Honestly only like the older E36 M3's and after Rage/Benyl/Xtrema thread about them I dont want to spend 25 grand on a slow cow of a car. Dont really like any of the new BMW's compared to the old one. Drove a 335i when they first came out and before I bought my truck and just wasnt blown away.

Originally posted by Cos
??

M3 - 5.6 s
Cayman S - 4.8 s

I believe Cos was looking at the specs of an E36 M3. The 0-60 of the US spec E36 M3 is 5.6s according to Wiki. I think Cos is saying he likes the E46 M3 since not many E36 M3's are mid 20K.

If you think E46M3's are a "slow cow" of a car, than the Porsche Cayman S would also be a “slow cow”. The 0-60 is almost the same and the Nurburgring times are very close (unless you get the ceramic brake package). Although, strictly speaking performance, I would prefer the Porsche because it is lighter so would be much more nimble around the city or a tighter track.

I am a huge fan of Porsche and 966TT is my true dream car, but I wouldn’t get a Porsche if want to keep it for a long time and you’re stretching your budget. Since you’ve exhausted most of the common cars in your search, you might want to reconsider the M3. You wouldn’t have to worry as much about maintenance and repairs costs later on. It’s also a much more practical car if you do end up selling your truck. If you think the E46 M3 is too old or too common, I’d wait a couple more years for the price to drop on the Porsches. That’s just my opinion though.

ercchry
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
turbo is king in calgary

FraserB
02-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by rojhero

The 0-60 is almost the same and the Nurburgring times are very close (unless you get the ceramic brake package).

Time for a retarded question. How does the brake package change track times? One can slow down faster or less on corners?

max_boost
02-15-2011, 05:52 PM
How about SLK55?

:D

Under $40k. 0-60mph 4.3secs (motor trend) but probably slower in Calgary but dunno how much. 355hp/376ft.lbs of torque.

I considered all of the above cars (used 911TT, Cayman, Boxster S, M3) before I bought mine new back in 06. I ended up selling it last year (big mistake) and while I'm content with the NSX, the SLK was so much more fun.

I'm probably going to buy another one again.

rojhero
02-15-2011, 06:10 PM

Time for a retarded question. How does the brake package change track times? One can slow down faster or less on corners?

Ceramic composite brakes help dissipate heat better so there's less brake fade. Better braking means you can brake later and hence have faster times. They can be quite significant on the Nurburgring from my understanding. I was fortunate enough to go on the M5 Taxi around the ring and the driver (also a senior engineer) said the only thing they modify from stock are the brakes. They're also lighter (less unsprung weight).

From a quick Wiki search, the times for the Cayman S around the track are:

8:04 by Walter Rohrl (19 inch wheels, ceramic brakes)
8:16 by Horst von Saurma
8:25 by Horst von Saurma

Just for comparison, the E46 M3 was:

8:22 by Horst von Saurma

Cos
02-15-2011, 09:45 PM

It doesn't take baller cash to keep a Boxster or Cayman maintained. Regular maintenance is very affordable and the 05+ cars are very reliable.

$200ish for an oil change, air/cabin filters are the same price as they are for any other car, same with brake fluid and MT flushes. Clutches are pretty easy on the labor but the parts can get expensive (as it is with any dual mass car). The most expensive maintenance item you'll have to worry about is brakes.

I spoke to Miles for 45 minutes on the phone today and got a good idea of price on stuff. Thanks for your input both your numbers are really close.

Originally posted by psycoticclown

Cos, what about an NSX like stated above or a Lotus. Or even a 370z, supposed to be comparable to the Cayman according to some magazine reviews. Or stretch your budget a bit and hit up the US for a GTR :D

NSX/Lotus will be considered. Never driven either so not sure how I feel.

Drove the 370, hated it, was going to get an old 350. Hated it.

Originally posted by rojhero

I believe Cos was looking at the specs of an E36 M3. The 0-60 of the US spec E36 M3 is 5.6s according to Wiki. I think Cos is saying he likes the E46 M3 since not many E36 M3's are mid 20K.

Sorry I like the E46. I am not great at the BMW codes.

Originally posted by max_boost
How about SLK55?

:D

Under $40k. 0-60mph 4.3secs (motor trend) but probably slower in Calgary but dunno how much. 355hp/376ft.lbs of torque.

I considered all of the above cars (used 911TT, Cayman, Boxster S, M3) before I bought mine new back in 06. I ended up selling it last year (big mistake) and while I'm content with the NSX, the SLK was so much more fun.

I'm probably going to buy another one again.

Never driven one. Will take a loook. They are the smaller guys right?

Unknown303
02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Get a jeep and sc it.

soloracer
02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
I love my NSX but it's not near the car the 996TT is. A lot of development happens in 10 years. The NSX is great looking, sounds good and has good ergonomics but it isn't as practical or powerful as a 996TT.

xrayvsn
02-15-2011, 10:21 PM
A Lotus is very short on creature comforts (if you are looking into an Elise/Exige). A very fun occassional weekend car, but not one you would want to live with daily.

I am speaking from experience, since we own an Elise and a 997TT. I love driving the Lotus, and have spent a lot of time driving that car at Race City and Stratotech but the 911 turbo is just a fantastic car. It is so much more liveable and just the perfect daily driver, but will more than hold its own at the track. If I didn't need a sedan for a winter car, I would not hesitate to get a 996TT to replace my STi for winter duties.

jaysas_63
02-15-2011, 11:55 PM
^^^ nice garage :thumbsup:

ringmaster
02-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Never driven one. Will take a loook. They are the smaller guys right?

Try looking at an SL55 AMG. They can be had for around 40K in the states.
Old man baller style!

prodigydud
02-16-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm in the market for a 987 Boxster "S" as well :)

There have been some great suggestions on alternative cars, however a Boxster is a vehicle that I've personally always wanted. So, for the OP, I'd suggest going for a vehicle that you WANT and not rationalize a better vehicle. After all, YOU will be the one making the payments :)

Looks like there are huge savings for importing from the US. Does anyone know any physical differences (if any) between Canadian and US Boxsters? For example, the speedometer, and daytime running lights need to be changed.

Also, can anyone recommend someone/company that does the importing? I'm lazy that way.

Thanks

max_boost
02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
If you are serious, Team_Mclaren has imported cars for a few Beyond members before. He brought my NSX back for me last June.

Cos
02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by prodigydud
I'm in the market for a 987 Boxster &quot;S&quot; as well :)

There have been some great suggestions on alternative cars, however a Boxster is a vehicle that I've personally always wanted. So, for the OP, I'd suggest going for a vehicle that you WANT and not rationalize a better vehicle. After all, YOU will be the one making the payments :)

Looks like there are huge savings for importing from the US. Does anyone know any physical differences (if any) between Canadian and US Boxsters? For example, the speedometer, and daytime running lights need to be changed.

Also, can anyone recommend someone/company that does the importing? I'm lazy that way.

Thanks

AFAIK the DRL's can be turned on at the dealer (suggested to go to the US dealer) and the Speedo I read can be changed by holding the gauge button down for 5 seconds. Not sure if that is right though.

I have read these threads, give em a shot.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/canada/178083-importing-canada-new-requirements-porsche-recall-letter.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/canada/288322-importing-porsche-us-into-canada.html

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/canada/177820-importing-porsche-us-think-again.html