PDA

View Full Version : License suspended questions

Hage69
02-13-2011, 09:56 PM
POSTING FOR A FRIEND...

So my friend who is 17, got his second ticket in 1 week today and he's only been licensed since December 10th, both the tickets came to 8 demerits which is all you get when in GDL. He knows it was his fault and all but the thing is he doesn't want to get suspended for what he's done because the only way to get to work is by driving. He wanted to know if there was a way where he could get atleast some demerits back, such as going to the traffic ticket fighters, and getting them to drop a bit off the tickets and keep him on the road? Again I'm posting for a friend so please don't bash me :D

TIA

sr20s14zenki
02-13-2011, 09:57 PM
USUALLY you can do a defensive driving course to drop 3 demerits off.....not sure if that applys to GDL tho.

Hage69
02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
He called a Traffic ticket fighting company and they said they would be able to keep him some demerits, is that correct?

sr20s14zenki
02-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Hage69
He called a Traffic ticket fighting company and they said they would be able to keep him some demerits, is that correct?

Possibly, wouldnt put all your eggs in that basket tho. back in the day, you used to be able to get off paying just a fine and get charged with no demerits, but not so much these days...they have a rule against it... or so i was told by mike nadeau as i remember in a breif conversation with him. May have been another ticket service tho, forget.

Hage69
02-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Possibly, wouldnt put all your eggs in that basket tho.

So you're saying he won't even get a few back, he doesn't care if it's even 3 or 4, he just wants them back so he doesn't get suspended

dannie
02-13-2011, 10:18 PM
It's worth trying. Otherwise, your friend is SOL. As a GDL driver, there is no restricted licence program. Which means he will lose the licence, end of story.

If it were me, I would give it a shot with the demerit guys.

FraserB
02-13-2011, 10:21 PM
What tickets?

Hage69
02-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by dannie
It's worth trying. Otherwise, your friend is SOL. As a GDL driver, there is no restricted licence program. Which means he will lose the licence, end of story.

If it were me, I would give it a shot with the demerit guys.

How long is suspension?

Hage69
02-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
What tickets?

Unreasonable rate of speed, the cop gave it to him cause he spun out in a parking lot and the cop thought he was trying something.

And then going over the limit by 32 km/h

sr20s14zenki
02-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a suspension would do him
Good. He needs a wakeup call....

I got 3 before I wised up. I keep it at the track. Your friend was clealy fucking about.

dannie
02-13-2011, 10:29 PM

How long is suspension?

1 month if its his first suspension. And he will be a GDL driver for a longer period of time.

Page 148 if you are curious

http://www.shawnessyregistry.com/forms/basichandbook2009.pdf

Hage69
02-13-2011, 10:32 PM
So basically the traffic ticket fighters won't help? And when would suspension start?

97luder
02-13-2011, 10:39 PM
go to the justice of piece window at the court house they will knock it down some , it the same as going to the traffic ticket fighters only thing is they will make you pay

dannie
02-13-2011, 10:40 PM
^ No idea if the traffic ticket guys would help, but if it were me, I would be giving it a shot.

The suspension start date will get mailed to him once he is convicted and has 8 or more demerits.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Sounds like a suspension will do him good.

dannie
02-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Sounds like a suspension will do him good.

I agree.... sometimes you gotta learn the hard way

Hage69
02-13-2011, 10:42 PM
How do you find out when the convicted date is?

Hamann
02-13-2011, 10:42 PM
If he has the cash tell him to go to POINTTS or one of the other one's, they may not be able to get him completely out of the demerits, but they should be able to atleast knock the tickets down to fewer demerits, saving his ass from a suspension.

Afterwards tell your friend to stop being a fucking idiot, tickets are cheap to begin with, but once your insurance starts to go up they bend you over hard.

dannie
02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
How do you find out when the convicted date is?

The conviction date is the court date. Look at the ticket and there is a date on there. If he is found guilty on that date, that is the conviction date.

Hage69
02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Hamann
If he has the cash tell him to go to POINTTS or one of the other one's, they may not be able to get him completely out of the demerits, but they should be able to atleast knock the tickets down to fewer demerits, saving his ass from a suspension.

Afterwards tell your friend to stop being a fucking idiot, tickets are cheap to begin with, but once your insurance starts to go up they bend you over hard.

How much would it cost, do you know? And ya he kinda found out he has to stop being such an asshole and follow the rules

Hage69
02-13-2011, 10:50 PM

The conviction date is the court date. Look at the ticket and there is a date on there. If he is found guilty on that date, that is the conviction date.

There's 2 tickets

dannie
02-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Yep, but they are the only 2 tickets he has right? So, if one court date is march 13 and the other is march 28, march 28 will be his conviction date because its the ticket that will suspend him.

Does that make sense? If they are on the same date, then the conviction date is that date.

Rarasaurus
02-13-2011, 10:55 PM
I think points is quite expensive. I believe 3 or 400 per ticket. If he goes and talks to the justice of the peace odds are he will get half price and half demerits on his tickets without going through points. He can go to court and talk to them anyday before the noted dates on the back of the tickets.

Hage69
02-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Yep, but they are the only 2 tickets he has right? So, if one court date is march 13 and the other is march 28, march 28 will be his conviction date because its the ticket that will suspend him.

Does that make sense? If they are on the same date, then the conviction date is that date.

Oh alright. I heard of a thing where if you go to court and make a court date thing, if the cop doesn't show up within 10 minutes, you're free to go?

Hage69
02-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Rarasaurus
I think points is quite expensive. I believe 3 or 400 per ticket. If he goes and talks to the justice of the peace odds are he will get half price and half demerits on his tickets without going through points. He can go to court and talk to them anyday before the noted dates on the back of the tickets.

Does he go to the regular court, or does he go to the youth one?

Rarasaurus
02-13-2011, 10:59 PM
If he is under 18 youth... I'd say for him to go talk to them asap and say he is sorry... If they give him a deal he likes he can plead guilty to the lesser charges otherwise get points involved at that point.

dannie
02-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Oh alright. I heard of a thing where if you go to court and make a court date thing, if the cop doesn't show up within 10 minutes, you're free to go?

From what I remember, that is a different ball game. If you go in on your court date and plead not guilty, they can set aside another day for the case. On that day, if they cop doesn't show or provide the details of the offence, then it *might* get tossed.

But... don't quote me on that one. It might be different now.

Does he go to the regular court, or does he go to the youth one?

The poster above me is correct. Youth if he is under 18. It will say which court and what address it is, on the ticket.

Hamann
02-13-2011, 11:01 PM

How much would it cost, do you know? And ya he kinda found out he has to stop being such an asshole and follow the rules

Last time I used them it was like $250-300ish I think, plus $50 for court fee's, but they got me out of all the demerits.

He can also go down and Fight it himself, but by doing it himself he won't be able to get out of the demerits completely, they usually only knock 1 demerit off (ie 4 demerit ticket becomes 3, with a reduced fine, usually by around $50 to $100) This however basically takes an entire morning, seeing as he's GDL and I'm guessing young, his time really isn't worth much so this is easily the cheapest option

[Yu]
02-13-2011, 11:03 PM

I believe this is incorrect, they can re-schedule the day with the officer.

and as a suggestion, all these questions you are asking can be searched up on these forums instead of repeating it all over again.

Many people here have told you, that you can use points and what not, but these guys aren't guaranteed to save your ass like you seem to believe they can.

Options:
1. Pay tickets accept you fucked up, get convicted
2. Go through points and let them take care of your friends fuck ups
3. Tell friend to go into see the Justice of Peace and plead his story that he is a fuck up, and hope that the Justice knocks off some demerits.

Hage69
02-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Hamann

Last time I used them it was like $250-300ish I think, plus $50 for court fee's, but they got me out of all the demerits.

That's per ticket right?

Hamann
02-13-2011, 11:05 PM

That's per ticket right?

Ya

Hage69
02-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Alright thanks a lot guys, guess he's going to court tomorow and try to get it knocked down a bit.

Hage69
02-13-2011, 11:29 PM
One last thing, one of the tickets, was close to Airdrie and it says he has to appear in Airdrie, is it possible to do in Calgary?

FraserB
02-13-2011, 11:44 PM
One last thing, one of the tickets, was close to Airdrie and it says he has to appear in Airdrie, is it possible to do in Calgary?

It will tell him where he has to appear on the ticket.

He might think about getting some driver education at this point. Not to reduce demerits, to deal with his inability to properly operate a motor vehicle. Two months from obtaining a drivers license to a court date that could result in a suspension is pretty clear evidence he should not be behind the wheel.

yellowsnow
02-14-2011, 01:30 AM
hope your "FRIEND" smartens up after this ;)

cream
02-14-2011, 11:39 AM
You don't need to pay 'traffic' people for it. I would suggest to enroll in a driver's court asap, then bring the documents to the crown and show them. Tell them you're making an effort and no matter what, atleast 1 or 2 demerits WILL be reduced. After all, you said it's his first 2.. That alone will allow you not to get suspended..