PDA

View Full Version : Any good local shops for online backups?

Mar
02-15-2011, 12:00 AM
I'd like something local and I have a guy I work with that does that, I'll probably use him, just wondering what else is out there. I have a client that is accessing their files right now off a Windows 7 machine in their storage room, I'm trying to get them to move everything to a cloud based server with up to date security and nightly backups. Uptime and security are the most important aspects of the move. What do you use?

Zero102
02-15-2011, 10:19 AM
If you care about uptime then moving the storage out of the office is probably a bad idea since then access to it will be dependent on their internet connection. To me it makes more sense to move their backups outside of the office, make sure they are encrypted before transport and worry about local security. Cheaper, better availability and faster.

Mar
02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
So you're saying basically to get some external hosting on an encrypted connection and then set up a crontab job to do nightly backups from the local server?

Zero102
02-16-2011, 09:33 AM
You could do it with a local script and a cron job, take a backup, encrypt/compress it, then send it over to a remote host that also does scheduled (guaranteed) backups.

I prefer incremental backup solutions, they generally require proprietary software provided by the backup provider, but many of them offer encrypted transport with incremental backups and IIRC there are a couple of them that provide linux client software as well. Personally this is the route I'd choose since incremental backups would save you tons of space.

hampstor
02-16-2011, 09:57 AM
yes, but I can't say because we're not a sponsor. Maybe it's time to change that. :cry: