PDA

View Full Version : Really Newbie Question About Manual

aznremixed94
02-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Hey beyonders, i have a really dumb question about manual. I have been driving for awhile and have gotten a hang out of it for the most part.

One thing that concerns me in starting from a start. I understand the concept but ive seen different ways.

When starting from a start, i slowly release the clutch WHILE giving it gas until the friction point in which i give it a little more gas.

Or am i suppose to give it gas first with the clutch fully depressed then slowly release the clutch? Or even just give it gas at the friction point?

Thanks

Redlyne_mr2
02-15-2011, 10:35 PM
The first way is the right way. If you give it gas first youll cause premature wear on the clutch.

Murray Peterson
02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Sounds like you are doing it fine. Provided the start is smooth (no jerks or wheel spin) and doesn't slip the clutch for too long, then it's good.

Don't forget to practise upshifts and downshifts while moving. Your passengers should never feel the shift -- just hear a change in engine RPM.

aznremixed94
02-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks, i have gotten alot smoother than i was a few weeks ago haha..

So its okay to give it some gas even while the clutch hasnt reached the friction point yet?

Also when i upshift i give it some gas while slowly releasing the clutch to make it as smooth as possible. These are normal techniques that won;t put any extra wear on the clutch?

Murray Peterson
02-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by aznremixed94

So its okay to give it some gas even while the clutch hasnt reached the friction point yet?

When starting -- yes, but don't do it too soon or you feel foolish with the engine revving up for no purpose.

Also when i upshift i give it some gas while slowly releasing the clutch to make it as smooth as possible. These are normal techniques that won;t put any extra wear on the clutch?

Nope -- a slow release wears the clutch excessively. The perfect shift is where you have adjusted the engine revs perfectly and can let the clutch out as fast as possible. It's hard to be perfect every time, so a little bit of "slow release" is OK, but try to keep it to an absolute minimum. Once you get really perfect, you don't need to bother with the clutch at all for upshifts or downshifts.

anschutz_92
02-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Giving some gas before the friction point is fine. You don't need to start off at 600rpm every time. There is a huge difference between slipping the clutch at 2000rpm and keeping your RPM ~1000 through your initial take off although both would be smooth.

For upshifts it depends on your car. Some cars hang a bit longer, but mine fell off pretty quick so it was simply off gas, clutch in, upshift, clutch out back on gas. It was smooth regardless if I was chugging around town or shifting at 6500rpm. If you take to long to shift or are down shifting you might need to blip the throttle.

Have fun though and don't worry too much. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

Graham_A_M
02-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The first way is the right way. If you give it gas first youll cause premature wear on the clutch.
This, you were taught well.

Another tip for making sure your clutch lasts as long as it can would be: do what you're doing until the clutch is fully let out, then if you really have to accelerate quickly, do it after the clutch has been released.

DO NOT try to accelerate quickly while releasing the clutch. Make sure the clutch is fully let out before you gun the gas. Trying to accelerate hard while the clutch isn't 100% is a great way to prematurely wear it out.

Murray Peterson
02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Come out to the SASC Ice Driving school on this Sunday -- I am one of the instructors, so I can guarantee you some "clutch instruction" in addition to the other material.

http://sascsolo.ca/forums/index.php?showtopic=791&st=0

stealth131
02-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Murray Peterson
Sounds like you are doing it fine. Provided the start is smooth (no jerks or wheel spin) and doesn't slip the clutch for too long, then it's good.

Don't forget to practise upshifts and downshifts while moving. Your passengers should never feel the shift -- just hear a change in engine RPM. If your passengers don't feel your shift, you're not driving hard enough :burnout:

mslbebiz
02-16-2011, 09:36 AM
As far as your passengers feeling when you shift, it depends on the vehicle. That'll be possible in a few vehicles, but for the most part not. Even in the smoothest autos you can feel a subtle shift point, so don't let that discourage you.

theken
02-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I let the clutch slowly with no gas until it starts to move a bit, then I gas.

Zero102
02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I lift on the clutch until the friction point, give it a touch of gas until I am completely off the clutch then give 'er as necessary.

In general my car idles at 750RPM and I try not to let the revs get under 600RPM when I hit the friction point. I try to be fully off the clutch pedal by 1200-1400RPM and don't use over maybe 5-10% throttle until I have completely released the clutch. Some older 4 cylinder engines don't like to be driven below 2000RPM and will vibrate and lug badly if you do this so adjust it as necessary.

Murray Peterson
02-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by stealth131
If your passengers don't feel your shift, you're not driving hard enough :burnout:

LOL! Good point -- come for a ride with me on a race day and I promise you that you will feel the shifts (upshifts at least).

Seriously, I should have been clearer. You can't upshift or downshift without feeling it if you are accelerating or decelerating.

If you are just coasting, then shifts (with a manual) can be done perfectly and without any change in acceleration. It's my benchmark for how well I have learned the controls for a particular vehicle,