PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fibre Repair

matt2
02-17-2011, 04:39 AM
I have a CF piece that is cracking... any ideas on how to fix it and bring it back?

streethondas
02-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Cracking resin or clear coat oxidizing? I don't thing you can fix the cracking but If its oxidizing you can wet sand the piece with fine grit sand paper and then clear coat to get the shine back..

Redlyne_mr2
02-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Get a can of clear and respray.

Modelexis
02-18-2011, 12:45 AM
I haven't done it myself yet, but you can buy a kit for CF repair, where in you sand it down to the fibers, and the kit comes with cf cloth and epoxy resin.

You prep the bare area with a primer of sorts, then lay the cloth and cover with epoxy.

After its cured you sand it down to the same level as the area surrounding, and polish to bring back the shine.

Search youtube for some vids.

One vid I saw on youtube, a guy repairs a cf surfboard that was driven over by a vehicle.

Idratherbsidewayz
02-18-2011, 02:04 AM
If you want to bring it back to the original look and the fibers are cracked, don't bother... it's impossible. No matter what you do, the repair will be extremely evident.

If its just the clear/resin, sand and respray like somebody said.

Structural rigidity (not 100%) can be fixed with aforementioned repair kit.

matt2
02-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.... i ended up sanding down and re clearing. Turned out better then i expected it to.