PDA

View Full Version : Frigidaire Dishwasher repair

CapnCrunch
02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
My dishwasher has sprung a leak. Is there anyone in town that you can recommend to fix it? I don't mind dropping it off somewhere for the repair.

:dunno:

Tik-Tok
02-17-2011, 10:48 AM
What kind of leak? Is it just one the inlet or outlet tubes/hoses? Can't just tighten them up, or is something broke completely?

CapnCrunch
02-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
What kind of leak? Is it just one the inlet or outlet tubes/hoses? Can't just tighten them up, or is something broke completely?

It's definitely not the hoses. I played around re-tightening everything.

Theres a large unit at the bottom that seems to be where the leak is coming from. (Sorry its hard to describe.) Im guessing its the pump? It only leaks when it running.

BokCh0y
02-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I had probs with a frigidaire dishwasher. Repair costs were about $400. I bought a new one.

Frididaire/Electrolux products are not the best...

Tik-Tok
02-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Theres a large unit at the bottom that seems to be where the leak is coming from. (Sorry its hard to describe.) Im guessing its the pump? It only leaks when it running.

Probably the sump pan/pump. I replaced my own because the pump went on it, was $200 in parts (for pump and pan), and only an hour. If you're handy with a wrench... :dunno:

(edit: I just hate seeing anyone spend money for someone else to do an easy fix)

n1zm0
02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
^ yeah mine would over flow, like all of the floor kind of over flow, it was as small as the damned check valve on the door, like a $20 part, broken check valve so when the water/soap reached that over flow point, the machine never got the signal to stop water and start draining.

sometimes its the smallest little POS thing..

CapnCrunch
02-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Probably the sump pan/pump. I replaced my own because the pump went on it, was $200 in parts (for pump and pan), and only an hour. If you're handy with a wrench... :dunno:

(edit: I just hate seeing anyone spend money for someone else to do an easy fix)

Thats probably exactly what I figured is leaking.

I'm sure I could do the repair. The diagnosis is what I'm worried about. I don't want to guess and start ordering parts for this thing.

I don't know if I want to drop 200 on a 5 year old dishwasher either.

CapnCrunch
02-17-2011, 12:05 PM
So can anyone recommend a place? Ideally I'd like to drop it off, pay someone $50 to figure out whats wrong and give me quote for the repair, and then decide whether to fix it or just scrap it.

teggypimp95
02-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Seriously just buy a new one. I had a fridgidair dishwasher and it leaked on me. Repairs and even parts are as much as a new one.

Tik-Tok
02-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
Seriously just buy a new one. I had a fridgidair dishwasher and it leaked on me. Repairs and even parts are as much as a new one.

I would have to agree, only reason I didn't is because we're planning on reno'ing the kitchen in the next year or so, didn't want to buy another brand new one to suit the kitchen after that.

BokCh0y
02-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Just buy a new one!!!

CapnCrunch
02-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Well can someone recommend a good brand to buy new?

Supa Dexta
02-17-2011, 01:19 PM
I haven't seen a good dishwasher in years.. Everyone seems to have an issue with one, eventually.. And they are made cheeeeeeeeap/flimsy.

They must be out there though? But at what cost? Not gonna spend 2k on one, you can get 5 yrs out of a 500$ usually, so for 100 bux a year, consider it a bargain.. Can't pay someone to do them that cheap. :rofl:

CapnCrunch
02-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I haven't seen a good dishwasher in years.. Everyone seems to have an issue with one, eventually.. And they are made cheeeeeeeeap/flimsy.

They must be out there though? But at what cost? Not gonna spend 2k on one, you can get 5 yrs out of a 500$ usually, so for 100 bux a year, consider it a bargain.. Can't pay someone to do them that cheap. :rofl:

Thats been my experience too. Every one I've ever owned gets a leak. Doesn't matter if I spent 300 or 1500.

Fridges - last forever
Stoves - last forever
Washing machines - last forever
Microwaves - last forever
Dryers - last forever

Dishwashers - 2 - 5 years max.

BokCh0y
02-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Whirlpool and Samsung have great products.

Stay away from frigidaire/electrolux.

Kenmore is great too...but they are rebranded whirlpool, lg, samsung, frigidaire. So make sure you do your homework about their products first.

masoncgy
02-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Blomberg make great dishwashers that offer a lot of nice features at a good price point.

I would go with one of these over any of the N. American brands if you are wanting a durable replacement machine, as they can be had for virtually the same cost.

GREENBOY
02-17-2011, 09:11 PM
I bought a crappy Frigidaire too and went and did what I should have done in the first place and bought a Bosch. You need to dig into the wallet for a good one though.

Myz
02-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Don't mean to Hijack but i also have a Frigidaire Dishwasher that drives me nuts.
Its louder than any dishwasher I've ever witnessed in operation & the booklet states it "super quiet"
Its been that way since i moved into this house & sounds like a bearing of some sort.
Anybody know anything about this kinda repair?
maybe you can drop me a PM with a li'l detail on what i can/should do.
I guess i'm handy with a wrench so i'd attempt to sort this out by myself
Thanks

codetrap
02-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Myz
Don't mean to Hijack but i also have a Frigidaire Dishwasher that drives me nuts.
Its louder than any dishwasher I've ever witnessed in operation & the booklet states it "super quiet"
Its been that way since i moved into this house & sounds like a bearing of some sort.
Anybody know anything about this kinda repair?
maybe you can drop me a PM with a li'l detail on what i can/should do.
I guess i'm handy with a wrench so i'd attempt to sort this out by myself
Thanks

Mine is a quiet one too, and it was making a similar grindy bearing noise. Turns out there was a whole lotta popcorn kernels and some small plastic bits in the food grinder mesh. Cleaned that out and it go back to being just some water noise while running. Still noticeable, but quiet enough I can hear the keys on my laptop while I type. Took about 20 minutes to clean it out and a phillips (x) screwdriver.

Unknown303
02-21-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm loving my samsung dishwasher.

BokCh0y
02-21-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm loving my wife, best dishwashever.