PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi's being killed from a helicopter...Slight Graphic Warning

roopi
01-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Slight warning on this one:

http://users2.ev1.net/~rarnold/224Helicopter_Kills.mpeg

Overview of video:

The video, obtained by ABCNEWS, shows grainy images of three Iraqis on the ground handling a long cylindrical object that the helicopter pilots believe is a weapon.
The pilots, from the Army's 4th Infantry Division, ask their commanders for permission to engage, then take the three men out one by one, using the Apache's devastating 30 mm cannons.

Nighttime Scene

The video opens with the helicopter tracking a man in a pickup truck north of Baghdad on Dec. 1, one day after the 4th Infantry Division engaged in the bloodiest battles with Iraqi insurgents since the end of major combat.

The pilots watch as the man pulls over and gets out to talk to another man waiting by a larger truck.

"Uh, big truck over here," one of the pilots is heard saying. "He's having a little powwow."

The pickup driver looks around, then reaches into his vehicle, takes out a tube-shaped object that appears to be about 4 or 5 feet long, and runs away from the road into a field. He drops the object in the field and heads back to the trucks.

"I got a guy running throwing a weapon," one of the pilots says. Retired Gen. Jack Keane, an ABCNEWS consultant who viewed the tape, said the object looked like a rocket-propelled grenade launcher, "or something larger than a rifle."

The pilots check in with their operational commander, who is monitoring the situation. When they tell him they are sure the man was carrying a weapon, he tells them: "Engage. Smoke him."

The pilots wait as a tractor arrives on the scene, near the spot where the pickup driver dropped the object. One of the Iraqis approaches the tractor driver.

Then, within minutes, the Apache pilots open fire with the heavy 30 mm cannon, killing first the Iraqi in the field, then the tractor driver. The pilots then fire at the large truck and wait to see if they hit the last of three men.

calgarys13
01-10-2004, 09:02 PM
thats so terrible.....none of them even saw it coming

kevie88
01-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Ooooo, I think the last two did! Nasty!

/////AMG
01-10-2004, 09:10 PM
:werd: That just sucks:thumbsdow

Weapon_R
01-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Did they just kill a wounded man?

rogue
01-10-2004, 09:54 PM
they dont consider terrorists (enemy non uniformed combatants) to be considered under the geneva convention so they will destroy if they are unable to detain. They didnt have a ground force available as the apache was a forward unit so they killed him instead of letting him go and causing more trouble. I from a non military standpoint HATE to see that kind of shit i just think it is inhumane and unnessary. This shouldnt have been on tv as it is distasteful to see lives being lost for entertainment but if it is there it is hard not to. SAD :(

rc2002
01-10-2004, 11:06 PM
That's crazy. It almost looks like the second guy has the weapon pulled out just before he "got smoked". I can see how it would've been a pretty tough call to make. If the first guy HAD dropped the weapon in the field, the chopper could've been taken down instead...

cycosis
01-10-2004, 11:10 PM
:werd:

xkon
01-11-2004, 12:12 AM
thats brutal, but im sure at the time they thought it was best. very sad, regardless

JAYMEZ
01-11-2004, 01:12 AM
holy shit thats harsh, one damn powerful weap!

topher91
01-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
holy shit thats harsh, one damn powerful weap!

Damn powerful?! To flesh ya?! Holy imagine dozens of 10" bullets flying at you, that'll definitly tear u a new one!!

How far was the Apache from them??

Chirs

FiveFreshFish
01-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by topher91
Damn powerful?! To flesh ya?! Holy imagine dozens of 10" bullets flying at you, that'll definitly tear u a new one!!

Yup, you can see the first guy really got ripped apart by how bright he is and by the body parts strewn around.

EstoMax
01-11-2004, 06:15 PM
damn.. the 3rd guy prolly couldve lived if he had hid under the truck.. cause it didnt look like they were going to shoot at it if the person was not in sight..

max

B17a
01-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Yup, you can see the first guy really got ripped apart by how bright he is and by the body parts strewn around.

Holy shit that's prettty crazy stuff. That gun is bad ass!

RC-Cola
01-12-2004, 11:39 AM
You've got to wonder if they weren't planning a attack why after the first guy was mowed down did the rest of the guys not run? especially the second guy beside the trailer?

If it was me there I would have been running at mach speed away from the truck... Weapon or no Weapon! :burnout:

Gripenfelter
01-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Why is it asking me to login?

ApexDrift
01-12-2004, 06:33 PM
linky not working!

Blue Devil 2
01-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ApexDrift
linky not working!

try it again

ApexDrift