PDA

View Full Version : Can this be fixed or is my windshield a goner?

Mar
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM
The chip and the resulting crack both happened on the same trip, didn't notice either until I was almost home.

http://www.danmaher.com/pictures/d/29869-2/Windshield+Crack+1.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.danmaher.com/pictures/d/29872-2/Windshield+Crack+2.jpg

shakalaka
02-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Usually only rock chips are fixable. That stops them from spreading into spider cracks and what not. Just leave your windshield as it is for a while and see what happens I guess. If it doesn't get bigger then you're okay, if it does then you'd have to replace.

scottv442
02-18-2011, 06:54 PM
tap your fist on the window...see what happens?
freeze/thaw will have the same result by spring.

Kloubek
02-18-2011, 07:07 PM
You can't fix cracks. It will likely continue to spread - though it may not.

msommers
02-18-2011, 08:02 PM
95% a goner

Aleks
02-18-2011, 08:07 PM
How long is that? I had a 4" crack fixed and it never spread. They just drilled a hole ahead of it and filled backwards. This was at Cal Alta. Said usually they can fix up to 6".

95teetee
02-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
How long is that? I had a 4" crack fixed and it never spread. They just drilled a hole ahead of it and filled backwards. This was at Cal Alta. Said usually they can fix up to 6". yep, we do the same at work- you can stop cracks, but, like Kloubek said, not fix them.

edit-I shouldn't say you can't fix them ,but they don't often take fills like rock chips do.

black13
02-20-2011, 01:41 AM
that's why you immediately have to get it fixed when you get the chip. Don't understand why most people decide to wait and see if it spreads before getting it looked at.

It's a $20 from those parking lot repair guys vs. big $$$ for windshield.

redblack
02-20-2011, 01:54 AM
i had a crack about that long before and i went to a windshield place to get it fixed. The repair lasted about a year before it cracked all the way across and i had to get it replaced.

M.alex
02-20-2011, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by black13
that's why you immediately have to get it fixed when you get the chip. Don't understand why most people decide to wait and see if it spreads before getting it looked at.

Because I've seen the parking lot guys f'k up just as many windshields as they've fixed, and then deny liability.

if I get a chip i just take my chances.

Mar
02-20-2011, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Mar
The chip and the resulting crack both happened on the same trip, didn't notice either until I was almost home.

Originally posted by black13

Next time I drive back from Vancouver I'll map out all the windshield repair shops first.

Weapon_R
02-20-2011, 02:12 AM
You can drill to stop it from getting bigger, but you cannot repair that. Last time I checked, tintmaster quoted $75 to drill. At an average cost of $150 for the windshield on the car I was driving at the time, it didn't make any sense to repair it. I just left it the way it was.