PDA

View Full Version : Finishing garage...need ideas

Pages : [1] 2

JordanLotoski
02-18-2011, 11:08 PM
So soon as the weather gets nice I plan on finishing my garage. Id love some ideas, pictures, whatever you got let me know.

Here are my rough plans

Drywall, paint, trim
9 pot lights
Knock down ceiling
Flooring..tile or other options, not sure
Furnace...opinions?
Cabinets...ideas?
Hanging storage
Lift

Again, any ideas would be greatly appreciated

;)

spacerz
02-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Go through this thread:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/garage-forum/190631-project-garage-condo.html :drool:

I am sure you will find plenty of ideas in it to help you in the development of your garage :thumbsup:

Shlade
02-19-2011, 12:11 AM
heat, heat, and more heat.

Also a bathroom.

I shit you not a garage, bathroom and tv is all I need. Nothing more. I will make sure to do that to my future garage!

Kittens11
02-19-2011, 02:06 AM
ya heat is a must i have no motivation to work on a project in the cold!

J-hop
02-19-2011, 02:46 AM
as has been said, heat and lighting. there is nothing worse than having shadow areas where you can't see what you are doing. IMO you can never go overboard with lighting.

I would also go for a wall mount lcd and a small stereo system, I love having some background noise while working, even if I don't watch the TV its nice to have on for company haha.

Dumbass17
02-19-2011, 02:55 AM
a bathroom is actually a great idea. sucks when you're groundhogging it and you are covered in grease and have to try to clean yourself up before heading inside.

Maxt
02-19-2011, 10:18 AM
I just am going through/went through this, excuse the diatribe.
The first thing is to decide what you are going to use it for.
If you intend on doing any kind of real heavy work in there, the finishing touches are much different than than if you are just building a wank pit to toss off over your car..
Welding, cutting or grinding, destroys floor finishes, metal bits scratch ceramic tile. Bare concrete with clear sealer is best if you plan on doing anything of the sort.
For the wank pit, there are some good epoxy finishes that work well and are washable, ceramic tile if it lifts will crack, fluids and gunk will accumulate in the grout lines. Vinyl tile lifts after prolonged exposure to oil, once it gets under the tile the oil will travel under tile which means a stain around every join line.
I am thinking a painted finish is the easiest in terms of sealing with the door seals.
Wall finish is like the floors, flash or function. My new garage has metal clad interior, cleanable, welding or grinding won't harm it, it wont mold etc. However its ribbed, so hanging anything is a pain in the ass, everything has to hit a stud or beam or it will just rip out. And running power conduit across it is a lot of work with spacers and the conduit bender.
Drywall is nice flat and fast, but water kills it, and every little scrape and ding leaves a mark.
The best compromise is what we did in Soloracers shop, first 8 feet good one side 1/2" plywood, and then above that drywall.. You can paint the plywood with acrylic, seal it, then silicone the bottom edge to the floor. Its flat, you can hang anything off of it anywhere and its pretty tough.
The downfall is expense and labour.

Heat depends on configuration, and structure size. Small the best bet is some type of forced air, like a small reznor unit heater in the corner blowing diagonally across the shop. The appliance clearances are small so you don't have to worry about clearances to cars are combustibles.
The unit heater that princess auto sells is a restickered lennox , about 45,000 but/hr and will heat up to a 30x30x8 R-12 stud wall garage.
Anything with with high ceiling and volume should be done with radiant. Floor heating is nice, but keep in mind it will be near impossible to mechanically pin anything to the concrete in the future. Even people that have tried to mark where the glycol lines were in the floor have hit them as the lines shifted during the floor pour.
Ceiling mount radiants are pretty efficient and low cost, however the minimum distance to combustibles and vehicles below the heater are somewhat large comparative to other options.
Power and light, light is almost a personal preference thing. T5 fluorescents put out a ton of light, but you need some ceiling height to get the spread.
I know its legal to use lumex wiring in residential applications, but I personally think its a mistake to use it in a garage, as adding anything after the fact is near impossible. I wouldn't do any recessed wiring in a garage/workshop. Even the panel, I would not run off the house panel, take a 240v sub panel out to the garage, and surface mount it. Run an oversize perimeter conduit around the shop, initially maybe big enough so its at 50% fill as per code, with oversized box at every corner or length of conduit. When you want to add anything, its much easier down the road.
A good tip I got, was to run 20 amp circuits on 12 guage wire with combination 20/15 amp receptacles. That extra ampacity means you won't trip the breaker with a chopsaw, or a drill plugged in with a big floor light.
With hoists its just who you like personally more since so many places more or less all sell the same thing. Unless you go full tilt like Bendpack or Rotary lift.
One thing I think I could ever do without again is a sink in the garage.. Keeps your house bathrooms a lot cleaner. You can run a sink into a basin pump, that pumps to the house drains, if you dont want to cut, dig and cast to get to the sewer mains.

jzz30dk
02-19-2011, 10:36 AM
for lots of good ideas join the garagejournal.com forums there is endless info about everything you need on there. as far as cabinets i would do lots of drawers. you can even do double drawers where you open it and the top level slides back into the cabinet and there is another behind it this is a good place for hand tools if you dont want to have a big toolbox. lots of storage is always good. and i agree with everyone else in the fact that you can never have enough light

JordanLotoski
02-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys for the great feedback and ideas. I like the washroom idea but lack of room won't allow that. As me being greasy that's not gonna happen as my garage I Want it to be more of a showroom then a workspace. I found a flooring compound ghat will allow a super high floss finish, i think iam going to do red lacquer cabinetry.

I'll post pictures of progress once I speak to the contractor.

alberta_gamer
02-19-2011, 04:47 PM
For sure...

If you heat your garage, make sure you PROPERLY insulate the ceiling.

My landlord had his garage heated, but there was no good insulation in the ceiling.

The next winter, after the first big dump of snow, a period of bitter cold followed. The heat from the garage melted the snow on the roof, despite it still being -20 outside.

The result: water dripping off the roof, long icicles reaching the ground, and perma-ice on the sidewalk beside the garage. Also, ice locked down the gate beside the garage.

frozenrice
02-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Is this kind of what what you have in mind?

redblack
02-20-2011, 01:57 AM
How about a wet bar?

Mar
02-20-2011, 02:02 AM
Exactly, a mini-fridge for sure. I'd even have a microwave for a snack.

One of my friends back home had the coolest garage I had been in if this gives you some ideas. He had a furnace plus a large compressor and the house routed up to the ceiling with various attachments so it didn't get in the way. Just pull it down, snap on your approved tool and to to work.

There was also some sort of chain system built into the concrete floor for straightening out frames, he often bought cars from accidents and straightened them out this way.

Then a third bay on the side where he would wet down the floor and do painting in there.

But if you want to be real baller, knock down the wall and put up a clear one so you can stare at the Legerra while you eat your breakfast!

JordanLotoski
02-20-2011, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Is this kind of what what you have in mind?

Yeah that's nice. I did find my floor option today. Going to do 18x18 rubber tiles, as they are durable and look pretty cool when properly installed. Got the furnace figured out, drywallers ready to go, lift pocked out. I decided yo save a few bucks and go with gladiator cabinets from lowes as they seem decent and the colours are decent.. Now I just have to piece it all together.

benyl
02-20-2011, 09:27 AM
How much are the 18x18?

JordanLotoski
02-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by benyl
How much are the 18x18?

Lowes has them for like 2.60 per sq foot, for me to do my whole garage 22x26 is like 1500.00

frozenrice
02-20-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm sure you've already thought of it, but make sure you have lots of electrical outlets before the drywall goes up.

JordanLotoski
02-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
I'm sure you've already thought of it, but make sure you have lots of electrical outlets before the drywall goes up.

Yeah, I was gonna do 4 a side and 9 potlights. Think I need anything else?

frozenrice
02-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Depending in what you do in the garage or even future consideration, a 220v outlet and a vacuum outlet? Maybe some data, cable and phone wiring?

sillysod
02-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I would run vaccuflo plumbing in the garage so you can vacuum and make sure you have hot/cold water tap for a mop bucket so you don't have to haul water from the house.

I ran airlines in my walls so there are outlets there but not sure you would want to go that far.

Also speakers in the ceiling, cat5 jacks and coax for a wall mount plasma.

I pulled wires for alarm too to the garage for the doors and a motion detector.

RC-Cola
02-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I'll be interested to know how the rubber flooring holds up. In my garage I put down epoxy with the chip flecks and 3m grip.

It's held up ok, however with our winters you get all kinds on muds, salt, rocks and water/sludge and now after 2 years it's starting to wear a bit.

I always wonder what these guys do with the baller garages, do they wash their cars every time before they can park in the garage or do they simply not drive their cars in the winter/spring?

483hp
02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
If you want a glossy red cabinet go to IKEA and have a look at their Akurum cabinets in high gloss red. I think it's perfect for a garage. A nice high end look, cheap, and it stands on the floor via short legs so it's easy to clean and there are no issues with moisture.

natejj
02-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Geezus.... some people....

http://www.albertroxas.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/mc3.jpg

JordanLotoski
02-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by 483hp
If you want a glossy red cabinet go to IKEA and have a look at their Akurum cabinets in high gloss red. I think it's perfect for a garage. A nice high end look, cheap, and it stands on the floor via short legs so it's easy to clean and there are no issues with moisture.

Good call I didn't even think about Ike. Thanks. Any drywall, mud and tapers on here?

schmooot
02-21-2011, 02:42 PM
heated floor ftw

Supa Dexta
02-21-2011, 06:35 PM
costco has wicked tool boxes for the price.. You wont find a better one locally for the value.. And they are built better then anything you will find at canadian tire or the like.

AndyL
02-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Recently did a baller upgrade... gotta arange to get some pics - door was nothing special - but the brite finish aluminum checkerplate on the inside face ... :drool: looked outstanding in that garage. It was an OMFG pain in the ass to do right (3 days, 3 wrecked sheets, 9 different fastener rethinks (DZUS in the end), 3 sets of springs to git her right...) but the results were worth it.

Been talking to one person recently about doing a vinyl wrap for a similar purpose - that's a much less expensive proposition too. Just unclear how it'll work with the woodgrain texturing... can't get much for straight answers out of the vinyl shops... need to grab some material and do some testing...

Bizzareo
02-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
I would run vaccuflo plumbing in the garage so you can vacuum and make sure you have hot/cold water tap for a mop bucket so you don't have to haul water from the house.

I ran airlines in my walls so there are outlets there but not sure you would want to go that far.

That sounds really well planned.

If you can find a way to have roof mounted air and electrical lines, it will save you the hassle of running around with cables. A vacuum set up and a compressor will come on handy. Keep an eye out for auctions, since you can save a ton of cash on these things. I believe there is one next week (can't remember the details though :/ )

MPowered
02-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

Yeah that's nice. I did find my floor option today. Going to do 18x18 rubber tiles, as they are durable and look pretty cool when properly installed. Got the furnace figured out, drywallers ready to go, lift pocked out. I decided yo save a few bucks and go with gladiator cabinets from lowes as they seem decent and the colours are decent.. Now I just have to piece it all together.

Where did you find the 18x18 tiles? Cost? How will they handle the snow/mud/salt in the garage?

R-Audi
02-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Lowes has them for like 2.60 per sq foot, for me to do my whole garage 22x26 is like 1500.00

Originally posted by MPowered

Where did you find the 18x18 tiles? Cost? How will they handle the snow/mud/salt in the garage?

483hp
02-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by sillysod

+1

A tap with hot and cold water with an inline water softener is key. You can use it to wash your car and to fill a mop bucket.
A vacuum line is also a must, in addition to a smoke detector and some sort of alarm extension (motion and/or door contacts)

sputnik
02-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by 483hp

+1

A tap with hot and cold water with an inline water softener is key. You can use it to wash your car and to fill a mop bucket.
A vacuum line is also a must, in addition to a smoke detector and some sort of alarm extension (motion and/or door contacts)

IIRC... building code requires a floor drain if you have a tap in your garage.

yellowsnow
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola
I'll be interested to know how the rubber flooring holds up. In my garage I put down epoxy with the chip flecks and 3m grip.

It's held up ok, however with our winters you get all kinds on muds, salt, rocks and water/sludge and now after 2 years it's starting to wear a bit.

I always wonder what these guys do with the baller garages, do they wash their cars every time before they can park in the garage or do they simply not drive their cars in the winter/spring?

What kind of epoxy did you use? 100% solid?

I'm probably going to just put epoxy on my garage floor, it's cheaper and it looks great once you put some clear coat on top.

I was considering putting on some racedeck flooring, but I'm not planning on living in my house for more than 5 years, so I just need something that would last until we move to our next place.

I'm also going to put in a small home gym, work bench, paint, new lighting, insulate the garage door and some cabinets. hoping to do all this for under $5k. (already have heating, and dry wall)

JordanLotoski
02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by MPowered

I found the at Lowes, works out to about 2.67 per sq foot.

RC-Cola
02-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow

What kind of epoxy did you use? 100% solid?

I'm probably going to just put epoxy on my garage floor, it's cheaper and it looks great once you put some clear coat on top.

I was considering putting on some racedeck flooring, but I'm not planning on living in my house for more than 5 years, so I just need something that would last until we move to our next place.

I'm also going to put in a small home gym, work bench, paint, new lighting, insulate the garage door and some cabinets. hoping to do all this for under $5k. (already have heating, and dry wall)

This is what I used:

Epoxy Link (http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=16)

I picked up two boxes from Rona, it cost about $250 (if memory is correct) and did it myself. I did it the week before we moved into the house so that everything was still very clean.

It's ok for the price, but with it being down for three years this spring it's seeing the signs of aging. Chipping somewhat, some of the flakes coming off etc.

yellowsnow
02-22-2011, 07:33 PM
^^ cool thanks. i think the documentation says it's about 63% solids. I've been looking in the garagejournal forums, and people recommend finding a 100% solids forumla for long life.

still dunno where to find it though... might just have to order online.

MrSector9
02-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Industrial plastics and paints in builder park is great, i got a bunch of epoxy for a shop i used to work at there, they tint it whatever color and sell all the proper prep stuff.

they also at the time had different style or rubber tiles and such.

In the shop that had epoxy floor it also had the rubber mats epoxied down, they were great and held up to "professional" use and traffic. they could get extremely slippery also when wet or certain chemicals on them, no more then the epoxied floor with no grit however.

blitz
02-23-2011, 03:19 PM
9 potlights doesn't sound like enough if you're going for the showroom type look. Put in more, and have them on a dimmer or 2 seperate switches to tone them down if need be.

Dave P
02-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Urinal

JordanLotoski
03-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Here is where iam at so far..Garage heater goes in this week

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181906_10150148673893384_581198383_8087244_1923657_n.jpg

project240
03-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by blitz
9 potlights doesn't sound like enough if you're going for the showroom type look. Put in more, and have them on a dimmer or 2 seperate switches to tone them down if need be.

I'd tend to agree. I have 2 large windows in our garage, plus 6 - 4 bulb florescent fixtures as well as task lighting and I still wish I had more in some places... Thinking about putting in a skylight when we reroof maybe....

streethondas
03-07-2011, 07:42 PM
If you need cabinets shoot me a pm I can get you a deal from my brothers cabinet shop

JordanLotoski
03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by project240

I'd tend to agree. I have 2 large windows in our garage, plus 6 - 4 bulb florescent fixtures as well as task lighting and I still wish I had more in some places... Thinking about putting in a skylight when we reroof maybe....

I have 10 pots, will have 2 large track lights, window and my garage doors both have windows. Again I wont be working out there, just want a showroom look

JordanLotoski
03-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by streethondas
If you need cabinets shoot me a pm I can get you a deal from my brothers cabinet shop

looking for smething like this....
http://img1.topfreebiz.com/o2010-5/Red-Lacquered-Kitchen-Cabinets-ML-014--23221312365.jpg

sputnik
03-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Find someone in Calgary that imports Nolte cabinets from Germany.

I only know of a company in Winnipeg that does it.

www.harmskitchen.ca

JordanLotoski
03-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I think Ikea makes a Red high gloss cabinet like that. Ill probably just go with these

http://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/content.jsp?pageName=ProductCabinet&activeCategory=0&activeSubCategory=1

sputnik
03-07-2011, 08:46 PM
IKEA cabinets are garbage compared to Nolte.

project240
03-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
IKEA cabinets are garbage compared to Nolte.

But if he wants a garage only for people to look at, I'm sure he'll be fine.

I doubt Ikea cabinets would stand up well in a garage with tools to any kind of daily use.

sidhucer90
03-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Hey Jordan,
I I’m doing my garage also, Kitchen cabinets won’t cut it in a Garage type environment with tools oil etc etc.. allot of the kitchen cabinets use particle board and vinyl wrap that cannot be repainted once it flakes away. I would advise against them..
We have a triple oversized garage so allot of cabinets to fill it. What I did was make my own cabinet boxes and doors. I don’t consider myself a carpenter at all but it wasn’t too hard. Used a router and allot of practice to make cabinet doors and the boxes, and a hell of allot more sturdy then what you get with store bought kitchen cabinets. I learned allot of stuff along the way for example drywall in a garage can be replaced with a more functional pegboard and once you paint it looks really good!
My friend painted a logo onto the peg board and it looks awesome. We did the walls first and then covered the beautiful drywall and paint work that was done with pegboard which was more practical err waste of money, oh well lesson learned!..
The countertop will be painted with a “marble look” black/silver paint. I am waiting on a lift, flooring (Probably a black and white checker tile) and a sink that will be installed into the counter. Will probably get to it this summer.

Pic and video attached of what done so far

Let me know what you think still haven't put stuff away so its a mess, but i think they turned out great
You can come take a look if you like!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pUJ4qwCaVLYbm-ncvMpS8g?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HHMfsrXJlba1VTpVJa2YdQ?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CkSFgFOtr69Fc3LXvkRpYg?feat=directlink

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x85oH8Jcsgc

JordanLotoski
03-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Let there be heat.

Had this installed today by "Shift Air" they were awesome to deal with team came in and installed in just under a few hours, cleaned up. City is coming tomorrow to inspect, then the gas guy will be back to connect.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197213_10150169571923384_581198383_8284930_6753631_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197008_10150169571188384_581198383_8284918_2192107_n.jpg

R-Audi
03-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Mind posting or PMing a price?

DC2
03-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I am curious to know too please

JordanLotoski
03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
I paid 1900 all said and done. I didn't rough in a gas line when i built, could be less if there is a gas line to garage.

Shift Air- 403-613-7076

JordanLotoski
03-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by sidhucer90
Hey Jordan,
I I’m doing my garage also, Kitchen cabinets won’t cut it in a Garage type environment with tools oil etc etc.. allot of the kitchen cabinets use particle board and vinyl wrap that cannot be repainted once it flakes away. I would advise against them..
We have a triple oversized garage so allot of cabinets to fill it. What I did was make my own cabinet boxes and doors. I don’t consider myself a carpenter at all but it wasn’t too hard. Used a router and allot of practice to make cabinet doors and the boxes, and a hell of allot more sturdy then what you get with store bought kitchen cabinets. I learned allot of stuff along the way for example drywall in a garage can be replaced with a more functional pegboard and once you paint it looks really good!
My friend painted a logo onto the peg board and it looks awesome. We did the walls first and then covered the beautiful drywall and paint work that was done with pegboard which was more practical err waste of money, oh well lesson learned!..
The countertop will be painted with a “marble look” black/silver paint. I am waiting on a lift, flooring (Probably a black and white checker tile) and a sink that will be installed into the counter. Will probably get to it this summer.

Pic and video attached of what done so far

Let me know what you think still haven't put stuff away so its a mess, but i think they turned out great
You can come take a look if you like!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pUJ4qwCaVLYbm-ncvMpS8g?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HHMfsrXJlba1VTpVJa2YdQ?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CkSFgFOtr69Fc3LXvkRpYg?feat=directlink

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x85oH8Jcsgc

Sell me that lamborghini flag!

Skyline_Addict
03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
sweet, i'm thinking of doing renos on the garage this year too.

Maxt
03-27-2011, 06:01 PM
I went for function, finally done after 4 months.
http://i55.tinypic.com/ws08km.jpg

Loose
03-27-2011, 07:24 PM
https://www.fullhouse.ca/packages.php?pkg=2

check photos 13 and 14

JordanLotoski
03-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Loose
https://www.fullhouse.ca/packages.php?pkg=2

check photos 13 and 14

Thats the floor iam doing but just the black and grey, also that colour scheme looks about the same as i was planning.

NickGT
03-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Very cool! Looks like it's coming along nicely Jordan!

JordanLotoski
04-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Just picked up my flooring, Id like opinions on how to lay it. I was planning a checkered pattern but not 100%

Any ideas would be appreciated

I got 50% Black and 50% Grey

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7439/20110407192035457.jpg

88CRX
04-08-2011, 08:41 AM
I'd do checkered :thumbsup:

cream
04-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Play around Car Town on FB and make your own design :bigpimp:

kenny
04-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Few ideas:
All black where the cars park, checkerboard everywhere else.
Car Grey/Elsewhere Checkerboard
Car Checkerboard/Elsewhere Black
Car Checkerboard/Elsewhere Grey
Checkerboard w/ Black Outline

JordanLotoski
04-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Update

Drywalled/primed....Only paint, trim, flooring, lift and cabinets to go

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/230/20110413092431605.jpg
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4641/20110413092442381.jpg
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7733/20110413092451866.jpg

oupzwrongthread
04-13-2011, 09:50 AM
It looks like you are going to need WAY more light in there - Looks good so far though!

rony_espana
04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Anyone recommend any garage floor paint? I want to paint my floor, but theres so many options out there, not sure which is best! Also thinking of red paint.

http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/concrete-garage-floor-paint.jpg

Serria1
04-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by rony_espana
Anyone recommend any garage floor paint? I want to paint my floor, but there's so many options out there, not sure which is best! Also thinking of red paint.

http://www.luxuryhousingtrends.com/concrete-garage-floor-paint.jpg

I have this on my garage floor 6 years of wear and very happy some wear from the tires but has not chipped or peeled. I installed it on new concrete when our house was new not and old floor but still did the cleaning and etc...
Brother in-law did a fancy checker board lots of work and is now peeling from the tires and seams between colours at 2 years, it took him a week of prep and paint.

Expressions Cure Coat by Masrechem Industries LLC
you can get this from Rona in 41 colours

legendboy
04-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by oupzwrongthread
It looks like you are going to need WAY more light in there - Looks good so far though!

my first thought seeing the first pic

throw some T5 daylight fluorescents in there in place of some of the pot lights if you have lights on different switches

I just got some in my office and they are amazing. put them in our shop and it made an incredible difference

JordanLotoski
04-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Floor complete

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/217383_10150217792093384_581198383_8466603_2805786_n.jpg

JordanLotoski
04-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Lift assembled, Car back home

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215638_10150218562863384_581198383_8472847_3049070_n.jpg

89s1
04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Does the garage door clear the lambo's roof If it is opened with the lift raised?

looks mighty close and a brain fart away from some expensive bodywork.

Looks good, and remember that even though you won't turn wrenches in the garage the next owner likely will, and I shouldn't need to tell you about resale. Lighting is needed.

rx7_turbo2
04-16-2011, 02:44 PM
If you're not gonna wrench in the garage what's the point in a lift at all?

oasis
04-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
If you're not gonna wrench in the garage what's the point in a lift at all?

Lifts like that are for storage more then anything else, 2 car garage made to fit 3 cars. Looks good Jordan.

Mike

J-hop
04-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by oasis

Lifts like that are for storage more then anything else, 2 car garage made to fit 3 cars. Looks good Jordan.

Mike

that and its effing baller :D . So jealous man, sick ride and garage

Kona9
04-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Looking great Jordan!

rx7_turbo2
04-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by oasis

Mike

Fair enough.

"Baller"? Hahaha, I always laugh when someone uses that term. I would think even more "baller" than a two car garage with a lift to fit 3 cars, might be a 3 or 4 car garage to begin with?

I've got a 2 car garage and have considered a lift like the one Jordan has, what ceiling height are you dealing with Jordan?

I also agree with whoever suggested making lighting a primary consideration. In my experience you can never have enough light in a garage.

03ozwhip
04-16-2011, 07:32 PM
^^^baller isnt the fact he has 3 cars in a 2 car garage. its the 3 cars that are sitting in the garage that make it baller. did you not just see a lambo sitting on a lift? nuff said?

i want a lift :( and i want my garage heated too :( oh and a lambo too i guess :) looks good man!

J-hop
04-16-2011, 08:08 PM
my apologies I used the term "baller" too loosely, having your Gallardo on a lift so you can park your xf-r underneath is pretty poor ass, my mistake.

rx7_turbo2
04-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Didn't mean to start a war over the term "Baller":dunno:

Just think the use of the term is really.........oh never mind this is beyond, what's the point? Yes Lambo's are "baller", lifts are "baller", my goal in life is to be described as the most "baller" of any know "baller's" that have ever existed.

Anyways:rolleyes: for those that have them what would be the minimum height requirements to make a lift like that worthwhile?

78si
04-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Didn't mean to start a war over the term "Baller":dunno:

Just think the use of the term is really.........oh never mind this is beyond, what's the point? Yes Lambo's are "baller", lifts are "baller", my goal in life is to be described as the most "baller" of any know "baller's" that have ever existed.

Anyways:rolleyes: for those that have them what would be the minimum height requirements to make a lift like that worthwhile?

You need at least 10' to lift a car, and 12' for trucks and SUVs

rony_espana
04-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Lift assembled, Car back home

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/215638_10150218562863384_581198383_8472847_3049070_n.jpg

Damn that was quick! Turned out awesome! I would love a lift like that to lift my bike out of the way in the winter. Then again a lift that probably cost more than my bike might not be worth it.

I'm still trying to get my floor ready for paint! :D Too much junk in my garage and I've only been at my place for 2 weeks!

JordanLotoski
04-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by rony_espana

Damn that was quick! Turned out awesome! I would love a lift like that to lift my bike out of the way in the winter. Then again a lift that probably cost more than my bike might not be worth it.

I'm still trying to get my floor ready for paint! :D Too much junk in my garage and I've only been at my place for 2 weeks!

Awesome, I'd love to see some pics when your done

JordanLotoski
04-17-2011, 12:57 AM

Fair enough.

"Baller"? Hahaha, I always laugh when someone uses that term. I would think even more "baller" than a two car garage with a lift to fit 3 cars, might be a 3 or 4 car garage to begin with?

I've got a 2 car garage and have considered a lift like the one Jordan has, what ceiling height are you dealing with Jordan?

I also agree with whoever suggested making lighting a primary consideration. In my experience you can never have enough light in a garage.

My ceilings are 10.5 feet.

npham
04-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Any chance you can take a pic of this with your garage door fully retracted? I'm curious to see how close this would be. Seems like a mini heart attack each time you open and close your garage door.

JordanLotoski
04-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Nahhh I have a good 6-8 inches of clearance
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/1025/20110417162831507.jpg
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3366/2011041716280933.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2551/20110417162822868.jpg

Maxt
04-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Looks like you had to give up the door opener?
(edit) looks like shaft mounted door opener in corner?

J-hop
04-17-2011, 05:24 PM
have a question for you, I am assuming you ordered through liftpro in calgary, how long did it take to arrive and do you have to pay shipping on them. I notice they are between 2 and 3 grand US on directlift's site, is that similar to what they charge you in calgary or is it marked up quite a bit due to shipping (notice they ship at around 2000lbs!)? if you don't mind me asking. from direct-lift's site it sounds like there is an actual warehouse in calgary but I wonder if they tack on some extra to cover costs. Didn't realize these things were so affordable, I might have to look into one of these!

Originally posted by Maxt
Looks like you had to give up the door opener?

if you look at the pics on the previous page prior to the lift being installed it looks like he is running one of those motors that mounts to the side of the door not on the ceiling (on the door with the lift) so I think he is still able to retain the opener

JordanLotoski
04-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
have a question for you, I am assuming you ordered through liftpro in calgary, how long did it take to arrive and do you have to pay shipping on them. I notice they are between 2 and 3 grand US on directlift's site, is that similar to what they charge you in calgary or is it marked up quite a bit due to shipping (notice they ship at around 2000lbs!)? if you don't mind me asking. from direct-lift's site it sounds like there is an actual warehouse in calgary but I wonder if they tack on some extra to cover costs. Didn't realize these things were so affordable, I might have to look into one of these!

if you look at the pics on the previous page prior to the lift being installed it looks like he is running one of those motors that mounts to the side of the door not on the ceiling (on the door with the lift) so I think he is still able to retain the opener

I ordered it Direct from Liftpro here in Calgary ...http://www.liftpro.ca/

Lift was 2495.00 drop off and set up was 375.00. You have to get a high lift garage door opener, that was about 800.00 with the opener and installation.

Here is the opener I put in.
http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerweb/products/pflresidentialjackshaft.htm

78si
04-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Who did you get to install the new garage door opener?

I ordered it Direct from Liftpro here in Calgary ...http://www.liftpro.ca/

Lift was 2495.00 drop off and set up was 375.00. You have to get a high lift garage door opener, that was about 800.00 with the opener and installation.

Here is the opener I put in.
http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerweb/products/pflresidentialjackshaft.htm

TsMortgages
04-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Check out this link, I think I have talked to these guys at the homeshow before.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-GARAGE-FLOOR-SHOWROOM-FINISHES-W0QQAdIdZ276382699

max_boost
04-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Wow I like what you did Jordan. I might just copy you and do the exact same thing lol

So we are looking at:

$2000 for heater
$3000 for lift
$800 for new garage opener

How much was the flooring? Around $3000?

So less than $10K, seems like a solid investment if you ask me. :D

project240
04-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Wow I like what you did Jordan. I might just copy you and do the exact same thing lol

So we are looking at:

$2000 for heater
$3000 for lift

I'd guess the flooring was probably about half that cost... the rest of the numbers look about right.

You'd still have to buy the Lamborghini though, which would add a little more to the investment. :rofl:

JordanLotoski
04-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

So we are looking at:

$2000 for heater
$3000 for lift

Heres the breakdown and trades (numbers)

Potlights (electric) 1000.00
Dan- 403-669-6685(Beyond member)

Insulation/Drywall?knockdown 2700.00
Viking Drywall- Heath 403-461-6635

High lift Garage door opener/Install 800.00
Jeff- 403-819-1127

Flooring 1150.00 (installed myself approx 4 hours)
Lowes- they gave me 15% off as i needed 22 boxes

Paint and supplies 500.00 approx
Lowes

Lift 2495.00+375.00 Install
Lift Pro- 1-877-6GO-LIFT

Cabinets (Gladiator) 950.00. Will post pics tonight when hung
Lowes they are on fr 20% off right now

Garage Heater- 2000.00
Shift air 403-613-7076

Iam very happy with the ned result as it feels like more usuable space.

All said and done I was about 12k. this is for an over sized double almost 570 sq feet of floor space.

Cody D
04-19-2011, 09:54 PM
If you have a single garage door you don't really need the jack shaft opener, my garage is also 10.5' and I just raised my current opener closer to the ceiling. Even when I have the lift in the middle of the garage my cars don't come close to it.

JordanLotoski
04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Here are some pictures of the installed cabinets
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/216294_10150222838393384_581198383_8518894_425368_n.jpg
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215528_10150222838308384_581198383_8518893_6893475_n.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215301_10150222841833384_581198383_8518904_439374_n.jpg

78si
04-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Looks Good :thumbsup:

yobi5888
04-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Heres the breakdown and trades (numbers)

Insulation/Drywall?knockdown 2700.00
Viking Drywall- Heath 403-461-6635

That price included material, taping, sanding, and prime?

JordanLotoski
04-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by yobi5888

That price included material, taping, sanding, and prime?

Yes. Even knockdown in the ceiling

rony_espana
04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Looks Awesome! Congrats!

Love the tennis ball thing, I used to stop when I hit the stairs at my old place....thats a much better idea.

RC-Cola
04-20-2011, 04:07 PM
I LOL at the tennis ball thing as well. Here is this beautiful high tech garage with little to no expense spared full of sweet toys...

In the middle of it all there is the classic tennis ball from a string for the wife to ensure no one crashes into the wall! :thumbsup: