PDA

View Full Version : Rib Eye

C_Dave45
02-20-2011, 11:59 AM
My absolute favorite cut of meat. Last night's dinner was a bbq'd rib eye done blue rare, with asparagus and sauteed mushrooms, salad and a malbec wine. MMmmmmm *Homer Simpson drool*

Anyone else love this cut?

rinny
02-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Its because its half fat!

I also love the tender fall apart marble of a Rib Eye when Im camping, its my GoTo steak. Hot cast iron pan over the fire with some Montreal Steak Spice and a good sear on either side makes for a hearty campfire meal!

BigDannyCool
02-20-2011, 12:42 PM
i love rib eye but i couldn't eat it blue rare. All the fat marbling has to cook a bit for me

C_Dave45
02-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
i love rib eye but i couldn't eat it blue rare. All the fat marbling has to cook a bit for me

yeah, not many people enjoy a steak blue rare like I do. Especially with a fatty cut like the rib eye. The wifey can't stomach any kind of fat, she likes the tenderloin. Me.....absolutely love it. If I cook it too long and it goes above rare, its ruined.

SJW
02-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Medium, cook when meat is at room temperature. Any colder and it loses flavor. Sauted mushrooms with asparagus and baked potato.

Don't forget a cab/merlot mix by gehringer brothers in Oliver.

The_Rural_Juror
02-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Med Rare for me. My favourite cut aged 21+ days.

Sear at high heat on both sides for about 2 mins each side, let rest to room temperature, then grill on indirect heat for another 10-15 mins depending on cut. Light brushing of Cattle Boyz bbq sauce on top with sauteed shallots and mushrooms.

LLLimit
02-20-2011, 02:59 PM
where do you find Cattle Boyz? I've been looking for one of their dry rubs for years.

npham
02-20-2011, 05:52 PM
http://www.cattleboyzsauce.com/cbz_purchase_online.html

Looks like they are based out of Okotoks.

Kritafo
02-20-2011, 07:12 PM
ahh I love a rib eye as well, but just once in a while, my kids find it too fatty. I actually bought some the other night and will BBQ tomorrow evening. love it blue rare, but that is the only way I will eat steak as well. I didn't realize cattle boyz was hard to find these days, they use to sell it at Costco in the summer a few years ago ... we got tired of it, but recently went on the hunt for it as a bbq gift basket gift and never found it. So thanks for the tip

I like to grill a whole onion on the BBQ with mine so tasty with homemade beans as well. I mean...if your going to go for a fatty cut of meat go all the way with BBQ beans

legendboy
02-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I prefer to have the un trimmed rib steak. And yes, blue center is the way to go :thumbsup:

Jlude
02-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Never tried the cut before... and never have tried Blue Rare... don't really see the appeal. I like my steaks medium rare.

Also, my roommate love Prime Rib... haven't tried it, but it doesn't look that great either.

theken
02-20-2011, 08:05 PM
I can only eat meat medium. I actually prefer a standing rib roast smoked for 6 hours then bbq'd for about 8-10 hours, then cutting a steak sized portion of it

Jlude
02-20-2011, 08:07 PM
I googled blue rare and this is what I got. Looks like rare- medium rare to me, which i like. Blue rare to me is 15 seconds on one side and flipped once then serve. Is that correct?http://www.theleader.info/media/images/articles/12910.jpg

sputnik
02-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by theken
I actually prefer a standing rib roast

I prefer it as a standing rib roast as well.

I do mine at 200F in the oven until the internal temp is 120F then let it rest for 10 minutes and put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes at 500F.

Medium rare inside, with a nice crust on the edges.

theken
02-20-2011, 08:17 PM
^ I suggest you buy a $100 big chief smoker. Smoke with jack daniels pellets or barrel chips, and some hickory and a touch of cherry chips. You can oven roast but I would finish it on the bbq for sure if you have one.

jaysas_63
02-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
I googled blue rare and this is what I got. Looks like rare- medium rare to me, which i like. Blue rare to me is 15 seconds on one side and flipped once then serve. Is that correct?

blue rare to me means seared outside, and rare inside, with the center being cool.

i gatta say i usually eat my steaks blue rare/rare. just doesn't do justice to the meat cooking anything more than rare. and to those that put BBQ sauce on it:bullshit: hahahahha

theken
02-20-2011, 08:28 PM
I make my own sauces to match the meat I am eating. Good quality cuts of steak get olive oil and pepper/salt. Cheaper cuts with less flavour get sauced. Rib eyes get nothing. Rib roast gets smoked and I will make a sauce to match what its smoked with. Sometimes jack sauce. Sometimes an orange glaze sometimes a raspberry and wine bbq sauce. All depends on your cut and sides. Wouldn't say bs to people who sauce meats.

C_Dave45
02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Never tried the cut before... and never have tried Blue Rare... don't really see the appeal. I like my steaks medium rare.

Also, my roommate love Prime Rib... haven't tried it, but it doesn't look that great either.

If you don't like prime rib, then you won't like rib eye...it's taken from the same area, just without the rib bone.

That pic is definately not blue rare...more like rare to medium rare. Blue rare is literally cool on the deepest inside part. its so dark red it looks blue, but seared almost black on the outside.

And yes...for a rib eye, no sauce...I like fresh cracked pepper on the olive oil...but don't mind a small sprinkling of the montreal steak spice...but not the sauce.

Weapon_R
02-20-2011, 08:58 PM
The cattle baron makes a good 16oz "cowboys cut" ribeye you should try out. It's also my favorite cut of meat but I haven't had much luck making it at home.

Kritafo
02-20-2011, 10:52 PM
I must agree, the only thing I put on any steak is fresh cracked pepper. I only use BBQ sauce on my ribs occasionally my kids want it on chicken. I like to taste the meat like it's suppose to be..not drowning in sauce.

dj_rice
02-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I googled blue rare and this is what I got. Looks like rare- medium rare to me, which i like. Blue rare to me is 15 seconds on one side and flipped once then serve. Is that correct?[IMG]http://www.theleader.info/media/images/articles/12910.jpg[/BIMG]

That picture is medium rare.

Here's a scale.

http://thedailyeater.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/cook-a-steak-blue-rare-medium-welldone.jpg

Disoblige
02-20-2011, 10:56 PM
^^ Ya, was just going to post..

That pic was right beside yours Jlude.

Jlude
02-21-2011, 11:40 AM
haha wasn't when I googled it... unless my google is broken :nut:

Nothing touches my steaks, except a little MTL steak spice. Gonna check out some other cuts of steak this week. Prime Rib and Rib Eye.

Unknown303
02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
I shoot for rare for the main purpose pointed out in the image above. And a little bit of montreal steak spice. Even better if you put it in a pepper grinder so you can give it a fine even dusting of it.

aaronck
02-23-2011, 01:05 PM
mmmm Rib Steak....Costco sells some really nice ones.

Jlude
02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Just picked up some Rib Eye last night from the butcher, gonna cook them up this week.

The_Rural_Juror
02-23-2011, 01:14 PM
126f for med rare? I thought that it would be around 140.

taemo
02-23-2011, 01:32 PM
ribeye :drool:

I always order a big nice medium-rare prime rib whenever possible, I hate sirloin/tenderloin.
T-bone, flank and brisket are other parts I love.

r3ccOs
02-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Knowing my meats... yup

Certified Black Angus, aged minimum 40 days in the form of a rib steak/rib eye or Standing Rib Roast is one of the tastiest cuts.

I do mine to a rare-> medium rare on a hot charcoal pile at the hottest I can get it to, sometimes with a quick toss of Cherry with whatever I feel like making as a rub (thyme & rosemary are manditory however)

I can get a chimney of lump coal to about 700-800f, so sometimes its less than 2 minutes per to achieve a perfect steak.

Oh always a weber kettle and with a cast iron grate.

I usually just do my rib roast in an oven, with nothing but just Kosher Salt on the fat cap to crust and flavor the dripping... 325 till perfection (120f internal)

but on the adventurious days, I'll make a savory rub (again always with rosemary & thyme) and put it on the Kettle indirect with some Hickory... Makes for a very tasty seasonal flavor, along with some great Smokey beef bones to braise in a Chili.

I buy my meats from Hirsch's down in Okotoks, as well as Master Meats off the NW... both get great products from local Ranchers, are well aged and very competitive prices.

I avoid Billy the Butcher and Better Butcher as they seem to charge way more than they should.

Oh, and if you guys want a CHEAP cut of meat, with tons of flavor and yet is incredibly tender... Flat Iron cut baby...
I love them, they're in the cast iron all the time, then sautee some mushroom and place on top of garlic break... the best steak sandwich mmm mmm

legendboy
02-23-2011, 03:29 PM

My second favorite meat, rare prime rib mmmmmmmmmmm :drool:

Pinner
02-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
Master Meats off the NW...

That place was good 30 yr's ago.

T Bone is a pretty good steak, probably my fav. Best of both worlds and on the bone.

Olive Oil and Montreal Steak Spice for me, room temp before taking it to almost med rare.

r3ccOs
02-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Pinner

That place was good 30 yr's ago.

T Bone is a pretty good steak, probably my fav. Best of both worlds and on the bone.

Olive Oil and Montreal Steak Spice for me, room temp before taking it to almost med rare.

U don't think they're still good? I dunno, all the meat is CAB AAA from local Ranchers, and aged...

Their Chicken and Pork is lillydale fresh...

they seem clean and their prices are very good

Pinner
02-25-2011, 06:58 PM
I didn't say the place wasn't good anymore, I said it was good 30 yr's ago.

My friends mom worked there when I was a teenager, we would get a deal on steaks for camping and trade steaks for all the rest of the food, bacon & eggs snacks etc. etc.

Pre made burgers were great there, and I learned to like steak tartar on rye, awesome butcher shop. Too bad I'm 10 hr's north...