PDA

View Full Version : Tenant Screening

Ven
02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm curious to know what methods and services the landlords on here utilize for screening potential tenants. What are your criteria?

I'm using tenantcreditcheck.com for the convenience, along with refs, T4's, and viewing of their current dwelling.

TomcoPDR
02-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Doesn't matter what you do, you're still taking chances with anybody.

You've pretty much answered your own question anyways. If you got time, sign up to the Calgary Residential Rental Association and go to their seminars. Just different companies will offer different ways to solve your concern. http://crra.ca/

But more often than not the headaches aren't worth the efforts.

Ven
02-21-2011, 07:25 AM
For sure, but it's all about reducing risk, and a great way to do that is for landlords to share information and ideas.

I know you're a bit gun shy at this point Tom haha.

So what other techniques are landlords out there using?

ZenOps
02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Screening tenants? But of course!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4a5a732d27/screen-door-part-1

schmooot
02-21-2011, 02:39 PM
strict interview process...just as if they were applying for a job. Then I make them fill out an application and sweat it out for a week or so while I "interview other potentials" (even if there aren't any others)

Take your time and call all their references...make sure they aren't just their buddies...even call past employers if you can find that out (maybe they let slip during the interview that they used to work *** a few years ago).

AT the end of the day a good tenant is well worth losing a month of income while waiting for the right one to come along...don't rush your decision.

mr5oh
02-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I facebook stalked them.

1 guy.. Every pic he had was him and his drunk friends.
I never ended up calling him back. about 3-4 months later i saw his name on TV and in the newspaper for a sting involving a coke bust. Can't recall the details though

Calgaryrocky
02-21-2011, 06:54 PM
I usually ask them for a letter of employment. This tells me that they will in fact be able to service the new debt and also shows me how stable and sustainable their income is based on how long they have been at the current employer and what their position is.

Feruk
02-22-2011, 08:58 AM
A little strict are we? Either way, you're taking a chance and no T4 is gonna tell you if the guy is a functional alcoholic or not. I consider myself a decent tenant, but have been asked for a letter from work, a T4, and even a driver's abstract! All I've ever given in return is a business card. I'm renting your crappy dwelling, not donating you my organ!