PDA

View Full Version : Protect the Rad

codetrap
02-20-2011, 10:45 PM
I was looking at the front end of my new Outlander, and I I think that it would be very possible for a good sized rock to get a direct hit. So I'm thinking of some sort of mesh to protect that pretty rad. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe some of that 1/8 hardware cloth.

Ideas?

http://www.twpinc.com/images/products/detail/004X004D0250W48T.jpg

to protect..

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/Svun2gznzLI/AAAAAAACPaM/WCkSC-Jhvzk/s800/2010-Mitsubishi-Outlander-GT-0012.jpg

Mar
02-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Is this why everyone drives around with cardboard boxes taped to their trucks? 6 years living here and I have not yet been able to figure out WTF people are doing. Never saw that anywhere else in Canada.

962 kid
02-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Is this why everyone drives around with cardboard boxes taped to their trucks? 6 years living here and I have not yet been able to figure out WTF people are doing. Never saw that anywhere else in Canada.

that's to block airflow to the rad to get the truck to get up to operating temperature in ubercold conditions

Redlined_8000
02-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Im pretty sure thats to block air from hitting the radiator, so the engine will stay warm.

EDIT: beat me to it lol.

sr20s14zenki
02-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Mar

it to keep less cold air from traveling thru the radiator. Therefore the car circulate more heat. It's people who are too lazy to install a winter thermostat. Although it does help the car warm up faster when you Jump on the hiway

Crap. Beat me too it too.

Grogador
02-20-2011, 11:47 PM
It's to keep your car running warm in the -30ºC

:guns:

Sugarphreak
02-21-2011, 12:12 AM

chkolny541
02-21-2011, 06:40 AM
when you say you want to protect your rad with chicken wire all i can think is

http://www.jerseyrice.com/images/rice/outback_civic_f.jpg

Unknown303
02-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I'd say your better off with a steel wire mesh, the cloth will probably restrict the air flow too much & also pick up a lot of dirt.

To keep it from being an eyesore while also trying to make it simple to install/remove, you can paint it black & use black zap straps.

What this guy said. ;)

Probably the least ricer way of accomplishing what you're going for that's for sure.

codetrap
02-21-2011, 09:23 AM
I really don't want to rice it up. But the plastic holes in the front are big enough for me to stick my meat sticks (fingers) through, and there's already some small damage to rad with only 2.5k on the unit. That steel mesh pic I posted up top, is that what you're all talking about? Or do you have a link to something else? The pic I posted is to a metal cloth.

Unknown303
02-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I really don't want to rice it up. But the plastic holes in the front are big enough for me to stick my meat sticks (fingers) through, and there's already some small damage to rad with only 2.5k on the unit. That steel mesh pic I posted up top, is that what you're all talking about? Or do you have a link to something else? The pic I posted is to a metal cloth.

That cloth you posted reminds me of chicken wire. but really that should do the trick actually. Seems to have enough spacing to flow well enough.

ExtraSlow
02-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Guys, hardware cloth = steel wire mesh.
you are all talking about the same thing.

And I agree, it's a decent way to get some protection

J-hop
02-21-2011, 10:33 AM
you could get some mesh like you posted in the pic at home depot and it would do the trick. But honestly I wouldn't worry that much, rocks may bend fins but chances of a rock big enough to puncture a channel making it through are pretty slim.

BTW isn't that your A/C condenser and not your rad?? on most cars I've seen the A/C condenser sits in front of the radiator.