PDA

View Full Version : Cops Everywhere

hockeybronx
01-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Hey I don't know if we're allowed to do this, but I just wanted to give warning about radar traps.

It seems every night around 12:00 or 1:00 there's a cop sitting in the entrance to Heritage Park catching people going Southbound on 14th Street.

Watch out for those bastards okay?

xkon
01-11-2004, 12:28 PM
to be quite honest, GOOD

hope they catch all those idiots, and a few drunks too

powerslave
01-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah, that intersection of Heritage and 14th can be pretty bad, seen quite a few people run the red light (even with the red light camera up there now!) and seen several people (including some friends) get pulled over by the police on the same spot.

FiveFreshFish
01-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
Hey I don't know if we're allowed to do this, but I just wanted to give warning about radar traps.

Radar trap warnings are announced on the radio all the time.

Hakkola
01-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Yeah, they're even announced on the Police Department webpage aren't they???

That cop has been there for a loooong time now.

Seanith
01-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Yeah, they're even announced on the Police Department webpage aren't they???

That cop has been there for a loooong time now.

i drive that road ALOT late at night and i've only seen one cop sitting on the grass like 30m down from that intersection..

ramminghard
01-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by powerslave
Yeah, that intersection of Heritage and 14th can be pretty bad, seen quite a few people run the red light (even with the red light camera up there now!) and seen several people (including some friends) get pulled over by the police on the same spot.

They should put those warning lights up there. The ones that tell you when the light is going to change. Makes it much easier to stop.

Idratherbsidewayz
01-11-2004, 03:51 PM
They should have the warning lights on all red light camera intersections so they only catch the people who run reds on purpose...

hockeybronx
01-11-2004, 04:29 PM
That is true, I hate the feeling when you aren't sure if the stupid light is going to change or not.

I hate the red light camera on Northbound Crowchild up by McMahon Stadium.

Seanith
01-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard

They should put those warning lights up there. The ones that tell you when the light is going to change. Makes it much easier to stop.

Watch the cross walk light. When it starts flashing you know its going to change pretty soon.

I agree that Crowchild one near mcmahon is annoying because its a really short light..

Idratherbsidewayz
01-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Some of them are super fun like the 14th and heritage one, the light starts flashing, then goes back to walk, then flashes again, and you never know whether its the first cycle or the second. Thats my least favorite light...

Seanith
01-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Yeah that light is only like that because half the time late at night there is no one that is waiting to turn or go straight into heritage park :D

powerslave
01-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Here's some useful sites (also like someone said, it's both on radio and on TV on channel 10 every once in a while)
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/police/inside/trafficf.html

Here's one for road closures:
http://www.calgary.ca/cweb/communities/community.asp?UserID=2&communityid=217&intCurrentPageIndex=3

cbr_ryder
01-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Can those red light camera pick up bikes? Someone told me they couldn't...

JAYMEZ
01-12-2004, 02:44 PM
I saw on the news last night that for a month the Calgary police are going to be out on full force getting people who run red lights , so careful! Drive safe.

Maxt
01-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
I saw on the news last night that for a month the Calgary police are going to be out on full force getting people who run red lights , so careful! Drive safe.

Really?.. I though that the red light cameras put a major dent in that problem.... Guess its not as successful as they say...maxt

Akagi Redsuns
01-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Depends what is meant by term "successfull". In generating revenue...yes. In reducing red light offenses....of course not.

Xtrema
01-13-2004, 11:36 AM
As long as we're giving out cop hideouts, here's the ones in my neighborhood:

Traffic Stops:
Beddington Blvd - Eastbound - pass Center St, right after the church

Beddington Tr - Eastbound to Deerfoot Tr - after Center St turn off, there's a band before the lights.

Center St N - Northbound or Southbound - South of Mcknight by golf course

Center St N - Northbound or Southbound - before/after Lions Gate bridge

14St N - Southbound - South of Beddington exit, by entrance of new reservoir.

14St N - Southbound - South of John Laurie going downhill.

John Laurie Blvd - Eastbound - exit before 14th St.

John Laurie Blvd - Wesbound - between 14th St. and Shagganappi, there are 2 dipps

Shagganappi - Northbound - after John Laurie, at top of Nose hill park entrance or light poll by 1st band.

Photo Radar:
4th St. N - Southbound - After John Laurie by 30th Ave

14th St N - Northbound - Right across golf course

14th St N - Southbound - right before golf course by apartment units or behind bus shelter right before 20th Ave

Memorial Drive - Westbound - between center St and 10th St.

Deerfoot Tr - Everywhere - slow down when you see either a MiniVan or Truck with tinted windows parked on the curb.

Gotcha:

Unmarked black neon in downtown core catching stop sign/red light runners.

And yes, sadly I'm a proud sponsor of the Calgary Police Department.

hockeybronx
01-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Man Xtrema you really have taken note of a lot of those places. Thanks for the heads ups anyways, I'll try to remember some of them. The cops are really getting dilligent!

yohan4ws
01-19-2004, 05:05 PM
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/police/news/photoradar.html

hey look guys, they advertise!

The cops display all the active red light cameras and photo radar locations updated every month...

Akagi Redsuns
01-19-2004, 05:11 PM
The Photo Radar section is dated "Photo radar locations from September 1 to September 30, 2003 "

Updated every month? I think not.

yohan4ws
01-19-2004, 05:12 PM
erm ... oh shit... theres one by my house this month :\:thumbsdow

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/police/trafficsafety/smportable-redlight.html

^ Current for january .. :bigpimp:

Spyderman_MaryJ
01-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by powerslave

It still bugs me every time I see someone run the red light. Now when Im at the front of the lights and I see someone running red I honk and point to draw attention. Im sure its pointless, but I figure if everyone started to do it... I read somewhere about a state that was going to give everyone charged with DUI a differant plate for their car (ie. red) so everyone knows who they are. I think we need a similar system but take it even farther. I think everyone should get a differant color depending on their driving record... this way we can all see who are the worst offenders. And too maybe the cops will leave those of us alone who really try to be a good driver and pick on those who have a differant color plate. Iknow im dreaming but it would sure be great!

Just my $0.02

3g4me
01-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Spyderman_MaryJ

It still bugs me every time I see someone run the red light. Now when Im at the front of the lights and I see someone running red I honk and point to draw attention. Im sure its pointless, but I figure if everyone started to do it... I read somewhere about a state that was going to give everyone charged with DUI a differant plate for their car (ie. red) so everyone knows who they are. I think we need a similar system but take it even farther. I think everyone should get a differant color depending on their driving record... this way we can all see who are the worst offenders. And too maybe the cops will leave those of us alone who really try to be a good driver and pick on those who have a differant color plate. Iknow im dreaming but it would sure be great!

Just my $0.02

I can just see it, ricers getting certain tickets just so that their plates match their color scheme. lol

Seanith
01-22-2004, 02:12 PM
^ haha
rice yellow plates, and rice green. That would be :bigpimp:

hockeybronx
01-23-2004, 01:17 AM
Shit now they are putting portable red light cameras in the city? I saw the little tripod one, they can hide that one behind any bush. It's not like I run red lights purposely, but when the crosswalk sign is the "red hand" I'm always paranoid if I'll get through the stupid light or not.

It always comes down to the question: Do I feel like going for it then slamming on my brakes just to try and stop, or should I slow down just in case and run the risk of holding up traffic when I had lots of time to get through?

I'll stand by the notion of: :guns: the police!

lsc2g
01-23-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm the same way with the one on crowchild and 40th.. its either zoom through like an asshole or drive slow and paranoid watching the solid hand.. i've yet to get one by that camera in over a year but everyday i still hate it :guns:

Originally posted by hockeybronx
Shit now they are putting portable red light cameras in the city? I saw the little tripod one, they can hide that one behind any bush. It's not like I run red lights purposely, but when the crosswalk sign is the "red hand" I'm always paranoid if I'll get through the stupid light or not.

It always comes down to the question: Do I feel like going for it then slamming on my brakes just to try and stop, or should I slow down just in case and run the risk of holding up traffic when I had lots of time to get through?

I'll stand by the notion of: :guns: the police!

XylathaneGTR
01-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Yesterday, within 2 minutes (the time it took me to walk from the front doors of my school, to across the street) i saw 3, count them, one two three, (i had just finished a Math final, thats why im so good at counting !) cop cars drive by. And nothing was even going on.
I've seen an assload of cop cars everywhere recently...
Guess its better off that way...

My friend got a speeding ticket in his SUV, didn't have the radar detector, cause it was on his other car, which isin't here.

Buy a V1 radar, its saved my friend like, 4 or 5 tickets already...

Ben
01-24-2004, 02:23 AM
Nice to see a checkstop at Outlaws tonight. They had 7 cruisers, ALL wwere full of DUI's

yohan4ws
01-27-2004, 03:14 PM
^^ That's the kind of copping we like to see.
Exhuast tickets ..or put a cop at Outlaws to catch DUI's ... hmm ..

(hemi(al hem1
02-21-2004, 04:01 AM
what are the lights in calgary like since everyone speaks of uncertainty and hesitation when approaching them. do they just change from green to red (and vice versa)? ? :eek: :thumbsdow :rofl: even a 3 sec yellow light delay i think is enough even if u have a shitty reflex

and whats with those 'warnings' that a light is going to change? isn't a yellow, properly adjusted delay light enough??? :dunno:

Maxt
02-21-2004, 08:47 AM
The heritage light sometimes doesn't have a pedestrian cycle so it a guessing game when its gonna go, likewise with the one up on 64th ave, 14st, 32 ave, 68st, 44st, it there is no walk cycle its like playing one of those silly hit the gopherwith the hammer reaction games, and shit, the amount of rear ender accidents happening at those lights is nuts, even at the lights with the prepared to stop signs, if traffic is slow to start moving and backed up, those become useless, as those lights are timed to make people aware of the light change that are doing the speed limit, if you are passed the sign when traffic starts to move, the warning lights become useless... I go through the Mcleod shawnessy lights alot, traffic starts to move , the light turns yellow, and someone doing about 40 or 50 will absolutely stand on the brakes, and its usually a semi truck behind them that hits them and pushes them into the intersections, probably seen that happen about 30 times in the last year at that specific intersection...
Police are claiming accidents are down at those lights equipped with red light cameras, I asked the police for specifics on the numbers, the types of accidents and the if they factored in a number for unreported, settled privately rear endered accidents, they refused to give me any supporting numbers for the program, I emailed them 5 times, and called them 3 times, all they will say is that the intersections are safer, sure thing, just like gun control is working in this country to.....I asked for Revenue numbers on photo enforcment, and I asked the loaded question, if photo enforcement works, why does the revenue keep growing and not shrinking, they chose to not respond at all to that one....Maxt