PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Technologist

epp01
02-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Have a job interview on friday at a company for a Electronics Technologist. Can't find much information on job description or pay. Anybody here ever done it or worked as one? The company looks like it works on oil rig equipment. What did you make a year? Advancement?

Cos
02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Do you have your electronics tech diploma?

Jlude
02-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Do you have your electronics tech diploma?

I'm gonna say, probably not.

theken
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
If your with a frac company you'll be fixing panels and touch screens. Our guys make decent. Like 60k plus job bonuses I think. Not positive.

Grogador
02-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by theken
Like 60k plus job bonuses I think.

Field or shop? I'm curious now!

HuMz
02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Not too high jack the thread but I was just about to start one on electrical engineering technology. I Know Cos and a few others have gotten there diploma and what just curious on some basic info and future advancements.

I'm currently a journeyman electrician and after getting my ticket am left wanting more. Do any of the EET's on here work with people who have there EET and journeymans certificate, and if so does it offer any kind of advantage having both?

Also what kind of salary structure and daily activies does a typical EET involve? Just kind of looking for some input as to if it would be worth it to go back and get my EET, I would already be getting credit for some courses which would shorten the semester intake a bit.

Cos
02-24-2011, 09:40 AM

nonofyobiz
02-25-2011, 07:40 AM
That was 100% hijack attemp.

Electronics Technologists and Electricians are NOT THE SAME.

I graduated from electronics in ....i dunno 2005, started at 36k a year, did that for 1.5 yrs then went into welding haha

IMO i just wasn't going to make the money in life that I wanted. At the time engineers were starting at 50K/yr!

My one friend from school is still in it and he's making MAYBE 50k now, but the thing is he's been able to travel the entire fcking world for his work.

Is it Sanjel u'r applying with? I've seen them with ads from electronics techs. For what it's worth I've heard from guys who have worked there and have said it's an awesome company.

ExtraSlow
02-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Anyone looking for journeyman electrical or instrumentation jobs, Check out Devon. shoot me a PM if you are interested in one of the posted positions.

Cos
02-25-2011, 09:09 AM

rinny
02-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by HuMz
Not too high jack the thread but I was just about to start one on electrical engineering technology. I Know Cos and a few others have gotten there diploma and what just curious on some basic info and future advancements.

I'm currently a journeyman electrician and after getting my ticket am left wanting more. Do any of the EET's on here work with people who have there EET and journeymans certificate, and if so does it offer any kind of advantage having both?

Also what kind of salary structure and daily activies does a typical EET involve? Just kind of looking for some input as to if it would be worth it to go back and get my EET, I would already be getting credit for some courses which would shorten the semester intake a bit.

The main reason a J-man like yourself would get his diploma would be to change the type of work you did.

You'll find that the EET diploma in AB is very much geared toward the utility industry. The program at SAIT is geared more towards design, the program at NAIT is geared more towards field services/testing and commissioning. If I think of all those that I know that I grad'd with, much more than half are in the power systems industry.

Unless someone hires you because you have a J-man, I would imagine that in most cases you'll make less in the first few years of grad'ing EET if they are hiring you because of your diploma, not your trade cert.

That being said, if you work field services in AB many companies want an EET diploma with a J-man POWER SYSTEMS electrician as a team lead. In fact, the larger companies are mandating that as their standard. Not sure how a regular electrician falls in there, but it may have relatively same standing, not guaranteed.

Its a grim reality that a J-man making $34hr does make more than an average EET, which often has me questioning why I completed the program. But then I look at the type of work I do vs the average electrician and then I understand. Not a chance would you have me doing the mundane work that electricians do.

You dont need necessarily need a brain to grad from the EET program at SAIT, but to advance and do well in industry you certainly do.

And if you really want to whore yourself out, go work field services for an electrical company doing maintenance up north- Magna IV, AES etc. Well paying and your J-man electrician might get you more cred.

Grogador
02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by rinny
snip

Great post (NQFT?), it really depends what you enjoy doing, or rather LEARNING. The people who were in my ENT classes "for the money" didn't make it past the first semester. The people who stayed generally enjoyed most courses and were the type of people who wanted to be there and geek out. What you do with your education is up to you, my classmates and myself have gone in all sorts of directions, like radio/TV broadcast, downhole equipment repair, panel design, PCB design, sound studio stuff, instrumentation programming, firmware programming and of course Engineering degree transfers. The diploma gives you a solid base of knowledge and shows that you have an ability to learn, as well as solve problems and read datasheets.

Just to clarify:
EET = Electrical Engineering Technology (http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/whatdoitake/academic/diplomas/aeet.shtml)
ENT = Electronics Engineering Technology (http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/whatdoitake/academic/diplomas/aent.shtml)

nonofyobiz
02-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Cos

What are you talking about? If you are referring to my post I was responding to Humz. He said he is an electrician now and was asking about Electrical Technologists.

Never once said anything about Electronics Technologists. Isnt as much a market here as there is for Electrical Techs.

e:facepalm:

this thread is about ELECTRONICS ...not electrical. They are very different.

HuMz
02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by nonofyobiz

e:facepalm:

this thread is about ELECTRONICS ...not electrical. They are very different.

No Shit, as stated already by COS he was specifically replying to my post which was based on EET. :facepalm:

And based on the fact the OP had to ask the question of what a electronics technologist is/does when he has a interview for it (ironic question considering to be an electronics technologist you need a diploma, and if you have a interview for the position coming out of school, you should damn well have a good idea as to what being an electronics technologist is).

So given that, it didn't seem very unreasonable to get some information on a similar field when a EET had already posted in this thread. Im sorry it bothered you so much and ill make sure to start another thread next time.

And thanks for the replies guys. Along with talking to others everyones kinda saying the same thing. I would fully expect to take a bit of a paycut in a few years if need be just to get my foot in the door. But the way I see it is that it creates alot more opportunity for advancement in nearly every way.

I mean lets face it, theres no way in hell I still wanna be pulling wire in my later years and sacrificing one year of full time school now while still somewhat young seems like my best bet.

HuMz
02-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by rinny

The main reason a J-man like yourself would get his diploma would be to change the type of work you did.

You'll find that the EET diploma in AB is very much geared toward the utility industry. The program at SAIT is geared more towards design, the program at NAIT is geared more towards field services/testing and commissioning. If I think of all those that I know that I grad'd with, much more than half are in the power systems industry.

Unless someone hires you because you have a J-man, I would imagine that in most cases you'll make less in the first few years of grad'ing EET if they are hiring you because of your diploma, not your trade cert.

That being said, if you work field services in AB many companies want an EET diploma with a J-man POWER SYSTEMS electrician as a team lead. In fact, the larger companies are mandating that as their standard. Not sure how a regular electrician falls in there, but it may have relatively same standing, not guaranteed.

Its a grim reality that a J-man making $34hr does make more than an average EET, which often has me questioning why I completed the program. But then I look at the type of work I do vs the average electrician and then I understand. Not a chance would you have me doing the mundane work that electricians do.

You dont need necessarily need a brain to grad from the EET program at SAIT, but to advance and do well in industry you certainly do.

And if you really want to whore yourself out, go work field services for an electrical company doing maintenance up north- Magna IV, AES etc. Well paying and your J-man electrician might get you more cred.

I would imagine that going the field services route would require me to challenge my 3rd and 4th power systems years which is not something I really wanna do.

While working in the field after getting my EET is something I'd be willing to do for a while, I really see myself more on the design side of things.

And yeah its pretty good money now at 25, our company is up over $40 an hour with benefits but unless you work your way up to a foreman (which is something you don't really wanna bank on) , you know that your going to making the same as everyone else around you even if there doing half the work.

After getting my ticket it really doesn't seem like much has changed in terms of responsibility, and having been doing this now for 6 years now its tough to stay interested alot of the time.

Darell_n
02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Another possible route is to get your Blue Seal in Electrical which gives you training on the business aspect of the trade. This will help you in management or starting business for yourself. I myself started with my EET out of high school and afterward completed my ticket in Refrigeration. Pays much more than I could hope for as a EET and gives me the edge over other J-man in the field as I now specialize in the controls side of things. It's tough to step back from being a J-man due to the income loss. Every dual schooled person I know has stayed in the trades after finishing a Diploma or BSc program first. Never the other way around.

Darell_n
02-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Being still young at 25, don't put off going back to school if that's what you are set on. Every year you wait it will become much harder due to increasing responsibilities, family life and so on.

Cos
02-26-2011, 10:15 AM